Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Montgenevre

Poster: A snowHead
@Kimski44, that’s our plan tomorrow!

Todays lunch was a baguette we made and ate sitting on the side of the slopes.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Timmycb5, strong recommendation for lunch at the Golf Club at Claviere Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Arno, sold!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
We’ve been for a beer (or two) at La Graav. Good atmosphere in there, this might be down to the fact that the whole of Montgenevre feels like he’s running at about 1/5 capacity (of occupation).
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Loving this report ... keep it coming please.
Thinking about doing exactly this soon ... possibly in March.
I'm on Gnarbug and hopefully Sopib and staying for extra week with pals coming out and had considered this as a good choice.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Glad you’re enjoying Montgenevre - it’s so nice isn’t it.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Definitely more busy today. Lots of Italians on the slope and the car park was rammed. Stacks up with what others have said about the Italians coming up for the weekend.

We made it over to Italy for lunch today. It was definitely worth the ski and worth the food. It was also notably cheaper and the food and beer was lovely.

One of the red runs down to Clavaire was probably my favourite of the trip (piste 100 I think). One thing I will note about the entire place is that the topography has a tendency to be weird. Some very unusual lumps and undulations in the middle of the pistes. Not moguls, much bigger than that.

I do wonder a little of the people grading the slopes were smoking crack. One of the green runs is more like a challenging blue, some of the reds are easier than the blues, and one of the blues (the bottom of Pharo), well, I don't know where to begin. I looked like a JCB had taken a few digs out of the middle of the slope. If someone went down that without paying attention, they would be a mess of broken bones.

Another thing about this holiday, and I don't know if it's a new thing or not (I certainly never had this before), is that I seem to have developed an aversion to very high up chair lifts. Not great when you love skiing. There seem to be a lot of very high up chair lifts here too. On the other hand, in a couple of places, there are chondalas (chair lift/gondala on the same line), I can say from experience, if you have an aversion to height, getting a bubble car is FAR more preferable to a chair on the same line.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Timmycb5, Enjoying your updates. Is the red run from the top of Roche D'Aigle to Claviere open now?

I can't think of a green in Montgenevre that should be a blue...which is that?

Agree that there is a short section of Pharoah above le hameau that is steeper and gets a lot of traffic so can be icy early season or slushy later on.

Have you skied Soureou and Rhodos yet? they are my favourites. The reds off the Chalvet chair are also good.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Oh god is it that long green back down into the village (Lac I think it is)? I absolutely hated that run, but that was because it was so busy and had a large number of people straightlining down it. It also got both icy and choppy.

There was also a steep narrow bit of blue Pharoe which made me meltdown. Looking at the snow I think it was manmade so whether that made a difference? Full on “I hate skiing” stroppy diva moment!!

Hmm I don’t remember mogul-type terrain being a feature during our trips.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@snowymum, Do you mean the run '100' down to Clavaire? If so, that was open very nice.

We did one of the runs from the top of Chauvet this morning and it was hideous. The sign saying "vertiglass" should have told me all I needed to know. We did the red Chalvet yesterday and that was amazing.

@bambionskiis, I can't remember what it's called, but the one at the top of the bowl is pretty steep for a green I'd say. I enjoy it, but I can imagine beginners being a little daunted by it.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Timmycb5, holy crap. If I saw the word “vertiglass” at the top of a run I’d turn around!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
On the train back to Paris now (I hope). The train station at Oulx is very basic. No departure boards. I speak no Italian whatsoever, but I think I understood the guard, and I hope they were saying that this is our train. The signs on the side of the train weren’t working, so it’s a little sketchy. I’m not sure we’re even on the correct coach.

It’s been a great 3 days skiing in Montgenevre, though I am a little concerned for our February trip. It hasn’t snowed there for several weeks and I don’t think there is any forecast soon. Already quite a few of the runs have been scrubbed back to hard pack and from what I could tell, the pistuers have harvested quite a lot of snow already.

Fingers crossed for another dumping soon.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Forgot to mention….

We were asked for the Pass Sanitaire/vaccinal in all but 2 cafes/restaurants.

The shops were very strict on mask wearing and you weren’t allowed in unless you have a proper mask on. A buff/snood was not acceptable.

We were asking for the Pass S/V only once on a lift
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks for the report @Timmycb5, and glad you enjoyed yourself. Sounds like a successful trip. Fingers crossed for lots of snow for February for you.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Timmycb5 wrote:
We’re now successfully on board our final train, with 10 mins to departure. Luggage space is a bit tight, and the kit out of the carriage is old, but comfy.

There were 2 trains on the same platform. Thankfully we didn’t get on the wrong one! Ours was the second train and a fair walk down the platform, so was worth boarding as soon as it showed up on the board (20 mins before departure).

All in all it’s been very relaxing so far. We even had time to leave GdL and got for a coffee in a Parisian cafe. All very civilised.

As long as I manage a negative test before leaving Australia I will be catching the train from Paris to BSM mid March. A Monday morning in fact. I believe there are no food services on the TGV. Enough places close by to grab some lunch to take on the train?
latest report
@Arno, are you talking about the old Golf Club HQ in Claviere, Gallo Cedrone, with the stained glass and ornate ceiling?

We had lunch on the terrace there on Saturday after picking my daughter up from Turin.

And a word of warning the last two Sunday's have seen major protests at the borders, and friends missed the Oulx TGV on Sunday as the road was gridlocked.

My Italian neighbours don't bother leaving here (Serre Che) till after 20:00, and my daughter is trying to change her return flight from a Sunday to another day.

The road up to Claviere / Montgenevre was rammed with Italians when I drove down on Saturday circa 09:00 I asked my neighbours why and they said that the lift pass was a lot cheaper than Sestrierre etc which I found strange as it was always cheaper in Italy, plus what you pay on the lift pass, if it is more expensive in Italy, you'll save on food and drinks ?
snow report
@sbooker, yes, the buffet car on board the TGVs are closed.

Do you leave for BSM from Gare de Lyon? If so, there are plenty of eateries from which to grab a sandwich right next to the platforms (PAUL, etc, and various others).

We took our own food and ate it on the train. Nobody batted an eyelid, including the conductor.
snow conditions
Timmycb5 wrote:
@sbooker, yes, the buffet car on board the TGVs are closed.

Do you leave for BSM from Gare de Lyon? If so, there are plenty of eateries from which to grab a sandwich right next to the platforms (PAUL, etc, and various others).

We took our own food and ate it on the train. Nobody batted an eyelid, including the conductor.

Thanks. Yes. We’re leaning from Gare de Lyon. Will grab a bite to eat before boarding.
snow conditions
@Weathercam, think that’s it
ski holidays
We went about 8 years ago. Loved it. Gorgeous Italian village next door. You can get a skidoo up to a mountain restaurant at night. That was fun.
ski holidays
Nearly time for the second leg of this thread, and I'm already regretting not getting the train again.

The train was slightly more expensive, but that has largely now been eaten up by the extra testing required to fly into Turin and the cost of a hotel and valet parking. I was hoping to do one or the other, but given that we now need to be at Gatwick 3 hours before the flight, I've had to suck it up and do both.

Oh, and there's a massive storm coming to the UK which is going to make for a bumpy plane ride. I don't like bumpy plane rides.
latest report
I doubt the flight will be that bumpy if taking off in bad weather, surely the wind will be more of an issue for those landing? I agree that the train is the most enjoyable way to go to Montgenèvre. It looks as though there has been some fresh snow there snowHead
snow conditions
Enjoy, although I cant help thinking that you'd have been better off staying in Sauze or Sestriere. Better skiing on that side of things, you have to train or drive past them to get to MontG, and cheaper food and beer both off the slopes and on?

Re the train, is it a daily service to Oulx?
latest report
@t44tomo, you have obviously never experienced Montgenevre . . . Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
Being the person responsible for packing for a weeks skiing holiday for 5 people (when one of the little blighters used to fit into age 12 thermals in 2020 and is now nearly 6’ Shocked ) on a school night is one of the most stressful things known to man.

Not to mention also being responsible for all the ar$e ache around sorting out all of the covid paperwork when flying to Italy for a French skiing holiday.

The conditions better be bloody amazing or I’ll be tampin fumin ragin.
snow report
And trip 2 is underway. We need to be at Gatwick at sparrow’s fart tomorrow, so we’ve opted to stay at Reigate/Rehill premier inn. It’s only a 5 min drive to the valet parking at north terminal, so hopefully the morning will be uneventful.

Had a meal at the beefeater attached and it was as you’d expect. Washed down with a couple of pints and a large brandy of course.

Lights out soon, with alarms set for 4.30am.

Will report back with what delights await is at Gatwick.
snow conditions
Pulled into valet parking at 5.45, a little later than planned.

There was a bit of a queue for baggage but it worked out just right. Got to the machine at exactly 6.10, 2 hours before my flight. I’m glad we didn’t get here earlier (like the 3 hours easyJet suggested). The book next to me got to the baggage drop 20 mins before his flight and was told to rejoin the back of the queue Shocked

Premier security was £5 (pp) well spent. There was a massive queue for security and we were straight through. Just enough time for a breakfast bap and a coffee and now we’re on the plane ready to board.

So far nobody has asked to see the EU PLF or Vaccine pass. FFP2 masks are mandatory to get on the plane though. They are being strict on that.
snow report
Well this is a new one on me. Apparently ‘because if Italian covid laws’ jackets can’t be stowed in the overhead locker and must be placed in the seat in front of you. Because having your jacket on the floor is more hygienic than having them in the locker. Puzzled
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Arrived at Turin after a pleasant flight. Watching Heathrow yesterday has made me realise a plane can deal with a lot of wind before you have to worry.

Absolutely nobody has checked my EU PLF or LFT result, either at Gatwick or Turin. They were doing spot checks for what I assume is the green pass, but that may also have been the PLF and or LFT.
snow report
We’ve arrived in Montgenevre. Given that it’s still half term, the journey was faultless (apart from my eldest chundering on the roadside, and thankfully not in the car).

Now eating a well deserved pizza.
latest report
Glad you have arrived safely and hope your family like the resort.
snow conditions
Thanks so much for this thread! Looking forward to hearing how the snow conditions are.
I'm travelling to Sauze next month by train. I saw you booked sauzetaxi to get to Mongenevre - was booking a taxi necessary in hindsight, or was there a rank at the station? We're arriving on a Sunday eve.
Hope you have a great first day tomorrow!
snow conditions
@snowymum, thanks. The weather looks glorious, so if they don’t like it now, they never will. A little more snow would be the only think to make it better.

@LubyLu, Oulx (or at least the bit by the station) is a bit of a backwater* and the train station was very basic. E.g a train guard on the platform and that is it. There were no other taxis waiting when we arrived. There is apparently a bus that times with (and will wait for) the train, but I’ve spoilt myself too much with private transfers to do anything else now.

*there is, however, an excellent cafe opposite that does a mean espresso for under €2 on your return.
ski holidays
We’ve settled in to our chalet property now. On first inspection, Chalet Des Dolines is quite a bit nicer (less tired) than Hameau des Airelles.

The pool and jacuzzi are better, though the pool surrounds are a bit French. I.e absolute death traps. Sorry. Former lifeguard. Can’t help it.

We’ve rented from the Intersport close to the chalet, rather than the SkiSet nearby. On first inspection, the intersport kit looks better than the SkiSet stuff which I wasn’t very impressed with. The true test will be tomorrow.
latest report
@Timmycb5, you have snow for Monday.

Not a lot but maybe 10cm top-up.

I'm picking OH up from Turin 19:30 so hoping it's not too bad.

We skied Clavierre and Montgenevre ten or so days ago, if Montgenevre is just too busy ski, and have lunch in Clavierre as it's blissfully quiet, and cheaper compared to Montgenevre!
ski holidays
@Weathercam, cheers, hadn’t noticed the snow forecast for Monday. That will be nice.

I think tomorrow will still be busy, but I’m hoping it’s quieter on Monday onwards.

I went over to Claviere when I was here a few weeks ago and it was lovely, but I don’t think I could coax my wife over there. The mere sight of a red sign sends her into a panic.
snow report
First day on the slopes. Got out reasonably early (9.15) and you could tell the snow is warmer already. It was very soft underfoot.

The southern faces are now all bare apart from the ribbons of piste, which were positively slushy this afternoon. It felt more like April skiing, not February.

There is due to be a dump of snow tomorrow and the place desperately needs it.

The slopes and lifts were fairly busy, but didn’t have to wait more than 15 mins at any one time. Better than the Northern French Alps in that regard. I’m hoping it will be even quieter tomorrow when the Italian weekenders aren’t around.
snow report
It’s neige-ing out there. Easy up a bit now so we’re heading out. Forecast says a big dump of the white stuff this evening so tomorrow should be chefskiss.gif
snow conditions
Winter has returned to Montgenevre today snowing all day and very windy. At one point, my son and I were skiing down to meet the rest of the fam and the wind, going up hill, was enough to nearly halt us in our tracks. Not to mention the gusts that took visibility down to about 1 foot.

We sacked off the skiing early afternoon.

Thankfully the southern slopes are now totally white again.

The snow is still chugging down now, which means that tomorrow could prove to be spectacular.
latest report
The southern slopes are now brown/green again Shocked
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy