Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Useless Skiing Tips

Poster: A snowHead
When skiing in St Anton why not stop at 4:30pm for a light refreshment at the popular watering hole the Mooserwirt, you won't regret it!

TOP TIP : For safe keeping on arrival to the Mooserwirt just store your skis directly among everyone else's at the very first wall you meet...makes them dead handy to find when you come out 3 hours later!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Learn to become a "Master Faffer" - as if you can't beat 'em, join 'em. It's less stressful that way.....Though it has to be said, some have this innate ability already built in.

There is no piece of ski gear that can't be faffed with. You have Boots (biggest culprit, with their micro adjustable buckles); Socks; Zips (Allows pocket Pelmanism); Poles (which have a Left and Right); Helmet (Fitting mechanism/Vents/Clip); Gloves (especially those that go inside your jacket sleeves); Inner Gloves; Goggles (Lens changing/Fogging); Skis; Bindings.

....and drink lots of coffee for Breakfast and Beer for Lunch, to ensure you can't pass a toilet for the entire day.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 19-01-22 11:59; edited 3 times in total
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Tiefschneetaucher wrote:
If you’re tall and heavy, make sure you get on the t-bar lift with the biggest fella you can find. Then watch as the rope snaps and the two of you stand there with the broken t-bar under your back bottoms.

Been there done that! We picked up the T bar and skied down to the queue to get on again, the lifty was not impressed when we said we'd brought our own T bar along Little Angel If it ever happens again I'll leave the T bar up the mountain somewhere for the miserable git to discover in the Spring
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

and drink lots of coffee for Breakfast and Beer for Lunch, to ensure you can't pass a toilet for the entire day.

Real men wear Tena! Little Angel
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
AL9000 wrote:
Quote:

and drink lots of coffee for Breakfast and Beer for Lunch, to ensure you can't pass a toilet for the entire day.

Real men wear Tena! Little Angel

Now you tell me!!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
This is why I'm too afraid to wear a rucksack at all... I sat next to a guy on a chairlift in Mayrhofen a couple of years ago who had his backpack on his lap, opened it, got some bread, a 300g hunk of cheese, a cucumber, a jar of mayo and a knife. He then proceeded to make a sandwich. lol
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
When staying in a 10 person ski chalet for a week, why not bring your ex husband with you and spend the whole week criticising him in front of the rest of the group, it won’t be awkward at all Shocked
Andy.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Restless native, better than paying a single supplement?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If you drop your ski pole just after you sit on a chairlift but haven't yet pulled the safety bar down, it's okay to just jump off - you won't be more than about 10 ft in the air.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
ster wrote:
@Restless native, better than paying a single supplement?

No, no it really wasn’t
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Don't worry about making a mental note of which boots you hired; just ski all week in a likely looking pair from the boot room. When you take them back to the shop they can say "These aren't ours ..."
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
TopGooner wrote:
This is why I'm too afraid to wear a rucksack at all... I sat next to a guy on a chairlift in Mayrhofen a couple of years ago who had his backpack on his lap, opened it, got some bread, a 300g hunk of cheese, a cucumber, a jar of mayo and a knife. He then proceeded to make a sandwich. lol

That is god tier preparedness. I am impressed.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Timmycb5 wrote:
TopGooner wrote:

Nah.
No Branston.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
AL9000 wrote:
Timmycb5 wrote:
TopGooner wrote:

Nah.
No Branston.

Depends on the weather. If it was snood/buff wearing weather, you don't want pickle breath. If it was warmer, I agree.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If you go to the Public Swimming Baths and get lip from some stroppy French Receptionist (Val D'Isere Swimming Pool circa 1998, I'm looking at you).....give them a tirade in Irish, filled with expletives. Worked like a charm and said Receptionist "Pulled her neck in", as they say here. Go Lady F.
ski holidays
To reduce your chances of falling off a T-bar and added coolness let your braces hang down level with your knees. This allows you to easily hook the bar through the braces as you get on the lift.

To obtain the best place to observe the strength of elastic of your friends braces leave a T- bar free before catching the next one.
snow report
Ah … T bars.

I ski and climb with with friend Oliver … 6 foot 3. I am 5 foot 7.

T bars are challenging.

The BIG ONE:

Friend 1: ‘look over there, that looks nice and untracked…’
Me: ‘we haven’t dug a pit yet…’ (remembering the wind following 24hrs of dumping)
Friend 1: ‘but look, there’s already one set of tracks down it….’

Me: ‘ski tracks are not a sign of intelligent life’
latest report
Timmycb5 wrote:
TopGooner wrote:

You haven't seen @midgetbiker pull out his condiment selection at lunchtime. I'm convinced it's the only reason he carries an avi pack.
snow report
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Timmycb5 wrote:
TopGooner wrote:

You haven't seen @midgetbiker pull out his condiment selection at lunchtime. I'm convinced it's the only reason he carries an avi pack.

You don't want to be falling on your "Condiment Pack"....could be messy and painful. Toofy Grin

...and what do you do if your Mayo freezes Puzzled

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Wed 19-01-22 14:04; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Quote:

TopGooner wrote:

Beats me, I have been known to stock up on the continental breakfast at the hotel in the morning to make a few meat and cheese sandwiches, wrap them up and put them in my bag for a little snack on the slopes.
latest report
Old Fartbag wrote:
Timmycb5 wrote:
TopGooner wrote:

You don't want to be falling on your "Condiment Pack"....could be messy and painful. Toofy Grin

My FIL was taken out my an idiot flying down a slope and not looking where he was going. I raced over to him and was appalled by a ring of yellow snow emanating from underneath him. I had a millisecond thought that his bladder had exploded out of his body or something.

Turns out he had a small carton of orange juice in his pocket. Laughing
snow conditions
Timmycb5 wrote:
TopGooner wrote:

Anyone who goes skiing with condiments is OK in my book.
ski holidays
Don't show off by walking into a restaurant and say to the waiter "Nous avons une reservation pour un table pour six person a sept heures. To have the reply back. I only speak English mate. Embarassed
ski holidays
@Timbobaggins, one of my favourite parts is to have a language fight.

Nous avons une réservation pour les skis

What is your name?

Monsieur Timmy.

How much do you weight

Quatre vingt dix, peut-être, quatre vingt quinze kilo
snow conditions
@Timmycb5, Toofy Grin
latest report
When on your first ski trip, on your first chair, make sure your experienced friends are in front of you not behind so you know about pulling the bar down and how to get off......
latest report
Timmycb5 wrote:

My FIL was taken out my an idiot flying down a slope and not looking where he was going. I raced over to him and was appalled by a ring of yellow snow emanating from underneath him. I had a millisecond thought that his bladder had exploded out of his body or something.

Turns out he had a small carton of orange juice in his pocket. Laughing

Years ago, I was skiing with a Surgeon Friend (Tom) in the 3V. He was very tall, willowy and very English in that polite sort of way. I was carrying a backpack which included leftover chicken that we had cooked the previous evening.

As we were skiing down looking for somewhere to have our picnic, he managed to fall and then collide with a young man who also turned out to be English.

My friend Tom was extremely apologetic and helped with the yard sale he had caused.....luckily with no injury. After the other chap had dusted himself off and before he skied off, Tom turned to him and said, "My dear Chap, in order to make up for knocking you over.....Would you like some some Chicken? We have plenty for three."

The look of a mixture of shock and bemusement on the young man's face was priceless. "No Thanks" he muttered, before hurrying off while still shaking his head. He couldn't get away quick enough. When he got up that day, the last thing he expected, was to be knocked over and then offered chicken by 2 Nutters.

As we skied on down, I had to pause because the tears of laughter were blurring my vision.

The tip to avoid confrontation, is to be very polite, while also being very eccentric. Embrace your inner nutter.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Wed 19-01-22 14:54; edited 5 times in total
ski holidays
May I respectfully remind people that this thread is for useLESS tips, not useful ones. In other words, the more irony the better. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
But non-ironic, hilarious anecdotes also very welcome, at least by me. (Hope I'm not speaking out of turn.)
snow report
Sometimes in flat light on a piste running across the slope, it isn't always possible to discern exactly where the fall line is. I have discovered that the screen on a mobile phone has a remarkably friction free property on groomed snow and by dropping your phone at the top of the slope you too can be happy in the knowledge that you are skiing 'straight down the fall line' as you attempt to stop its progress.
snow report
Don't bother taking your skis off if you have to cross a road, the hire shop won't mind at all.
snow conditions
Hurtle - here’s one.

Mad afternoon rush from Geneva to the chalet…’yes we have time to get on the hill….’
Rush down the steps and throw everything we need in the car.
Grab three pairs of skis from the garage - my Volkls, Grom’s Armadas and some Salomons for Ant.
At the bottom station I adjust binding on one ski for Ant’s boot sole length. Thanks…Grom then hands me second ski…great…done…
Phew….1 hour before closing.
As light fades, I squint at Ant’s skis: both blue, both Salomon. Thing is though, one is 150cm and the other 160cm.
And I adjusted them at the start of the session….tw+t.
ski holidays
Old Fartbag wrote:
Timmycb5 wrote:
TopGooner wrote:

...and what do you do if your Mayo freezes Puzzled

I use Hellmann's chilli mayo, as I'm convinced it has a lower freezing point than the standard.
snow report
If you are finding turning difficult - You are not going fast enough. Twisted Evil
ski holidays
midgetbiker wrote:

I use Hellmann's chilli mayo, as I'm convinced it has a lower freezing point than the standard.

It for this sort of invaluable information, that I started the thread.

Would Garlic Mayo help clear a space, or make you seem more like a local? Is it one of those imponderables - a Known Unknown, as it were?

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Wed 19-01-22 15:24; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
To find good off piste skiing, just follow a set of ski tracks that lead off the piste and down the mountain somewhere. Clearly that person knew where they were going.

You may need to remove skis a bit later and walk/clamber to get back to safety, if it turns out you are not as good as the preceding expert. This only heightens your respect for them.
ski holidays
Talking of undercrackers, whilst out on the slopes, watch your nearest and dearest faffing around because they are having issues with their salopettes.

Then watch them proceed to pull yesterdays pants out of the bottom of the left leg with a triumphant 'da dmmmm' (and the required swinging above the head), remembering that when getting back to the room p*ssed from the day before, they did an all in one removal of lower body clothing before falling into the bath. rolling eyes
latest report
Orange200 … this only heightens your respect for them….or the sense of sorrow in reading their obituary.

(Repeat…’skis tracks are not a sign of intelligent life…’)
snow report
Buy the heaviest ski bag you can find, it will make packing really easy.
latest report
Chuckles3 wrote:
Talking of undercrackers, whilst out on the slopes, watch your nearest and dearest faffing around because they are having issues with their salopettes.

Then watch them proceed to pull yesterdays pants out of the bottom of the left leg with a triumphant 'da dmmmm' (and the required swinging above the head), remembering that when getting back to the room p*ssed from the day before, they did an all in one removal of lower body clothing before falling into the bath. rolling eyes

I have a "Friend" who took Valium the previous night - and was so dopey in the morning, that they went on the early Bread Run while wearing their Long Johns. It did cause the odd stare. They just had to brazen it out.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy