Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Useless Skiing Tips

Poster: A snowHead
Old Fartbag wrote:
midgetbiker wrote:

I use Hellmann's chilli mayo, as I'm convinced it has a lower freezing point than the standard.

It for this sort of invaluable information, that I started the thread.

Would Garlic Mayo help clear a space, or make you seem more like a local? Is it one of those imponderables - a Known Unknown, as it were?

Ingenious!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Keep any water bottles in the outside pocket of your rucksack. This way will ensure you have a flavourless, unlickable ice lolly available when thirsty if it’s a bit nippy.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Having made multiple trips to France over the years, when your group decides that this year it's going to be Italy, you can save valuable seconds on your holiday (you'll never get that time back) by only briefly skimming the holiday details. After all, when it comes to International travel, it's always best to just follow your instincts.

Then, when you turn up at Gatwick at some god-forsaken hour of the morning, and a helpful Airline Rep is explaining that, no, the 6.20 to Turin in fact leaves on a *Sunday*, you can be reaping the benefits of:
- a successful dry run, proving out your choice of taxi-firm and providing them with valuable repeat business - well worth £60 in anybody's money
- knowledge that you can fire up just enough motor and cognitive skills on two hours sleep to get you to the airport, *and* then go for the double and do it two nights on the trot
- finally assembling at check-in with the group and being met by the self-same Airline rep with a cheery "Oh it's you again!" to provide much amusement to your fellow travellers - a gift that will keep on giving throughout the holiday, and indeed for every subsequent holiday. For years.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Old Fartbag wrote:
Chuckles3 wrote:
Talking of undercrackers, whilst out on the slopes, watch your nearest and dearest faffing around because they are having issues with their salopettes.

Then watch them proceed to pull yesterdays pants out of the bottom of the left leg with a triumphant 'da dmmmm' (and the required swinging above the head), remembering that when getting back to the room p*ssed from the day before, they did an all in one removal of lower body clothing before falling into the bath. rolling eyes

I have a "Friend" who took Valium the previous night - and was so dopey in the morning, that they went on the early Bread Run while wearing their Long Johns. It did cause the odd stare. They just had to brazen it out.

It'd have been ok except he left the trapdoor open Laughing
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Pejoli, a very familiar tale in our family, although not a ski trip, turns out there are two 11 o'clocks each day so you might be 12 hours late if you assume. About 30 years on TurdyMcFlude still hasn't been allowed to forget that one.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
halfhand wrote:
Old Fartbag wrote:
Chuckles3 wrote:
Talking of undercrackers, whilst out on the slopes, watch your nearest and dearest faffing around because they are having issues with their salopettes.

Then watch them proceed to pull yesterdays pants out of the bottom of the left leg with a triumphant 'da dmmmm' (and the required swinging above the head), remembering that when getting back to the room p*ssed from the day before, they did an all in one removal of lower body clothing before falling into the bath. rolling eyes

I have a "Friend" who took Valium the previous night - and was so dopey in the morning, that they went on the early Bread Run while wearing their Long Johns. It did cause the odd stare. They just had to brazen it out.

Sounds like you were a witness. I, on the other hand, couldn't possibly comment.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Old Fartbag wrote:
halfhand wrote:
Old Fartbag wrote:
Chuckles3 wrote:

Sounds like you were a witness. I, on the other hand, couldn't possibly comment.

Possibly something similar but I'll take the Urquhart (sp?) defence.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Wed 19-01-22 18:38; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
SnoodlesMcFlude wrote:
@Pejoli, a very familiar tale in our family, although not a ski trip, turns out there are two 11 o'clocks each day so you might be 12 hours late if you assume. About 30 years on TurdyMcFlude still hasn't been allowed to forget that one.

Even more embarrassingly, I have previous form as well. 35 years ago, I turned up for my holiday flight to Instanbul. Bang on time, but I was at Gatwick, and the plane was at Heathrow.

Some people, eh.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
When coming up to a ski lift queue approach at full speed while preparing for a dramatic stop to impress your friends. Then realise that you don't have enough space for dramatic stop so steer round the back of the queue at barely diminished speed until you are stopped by the lifties hut. Complete the stop by double ejecting and stopping yourself by using your face on the handily placed hut.
I actually invented rocker skis back in 1986 using this stopping method as my 190cm SL skis were bent upwards about 30cm from the the tips....
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Oh oh….just remembered excellent tip

Always put your gloves conveniently on the roof of the car when you are loading up at the end of the day.

(I always smile ruefully when I see a lone glove in the middle of the road 100m from the car park and the next 100m further on…)
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I can recommend joining an all day Class in Obertauern, where the Instructor doesn't speak a word of English, so a German speaking Italian has to translate. When he goes home in the afternoon, then it can turn into a game of Charades. Twice the fun.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Never check the times of the last lift from Montchavin to La Plagne, nor from Meribel to Courchevel. You're on holiday for an adventure.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Drinking the best part of a full bottle of Schnapps in the evening will improve your skiing the next day

Being drunk enough to happily accept a burger that has bounced on the floor of an outside burger bar at 2.00 in the morning demonstrates good adherence to holiday health and safety

Pamporovo is good for high mileage skiing

A beginner should always ski in waist deep powder at the side of the piste as it is easy to get up and find your skis after a fall

All tips experienced or witnessed, so I know they are true
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Make new friends by being the 5th on a 4 seater chair.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Do sufficient manspreading on a chair that you knock a ski off on the first pylon.
ski holidays
Oh and always be the one to own up to breaking wind in a full gondola. Your fellow passengers will appreciate your honesty
latest report
jayjayjam wrote:
Never check the times of the last lift from Montchavin to La Plagne, nor from Meribel to Courchevel. You're on holiday for an adventure.

I can thoroughly recommend a leisurely stroll up the side of the Black Piste that runs alongside the connecting lift out of Val Thorens to Mottaret, after missing the lift. The moonlit ski back behind a Pisteur is a most memorable experience.
snow report
When your mate declares he has booked you a really nice hotel in St Anton and it was surprisingly reasonable abolutely trust him and in no way consider checking that he had put the am Arlberg bit in the search as well.
snow report
halfhand wrote:
When packing for a ski trip remember to save weight by not packing any undercrackers. The pair you will be wearing when you leave home are perfectly adequate for a 4 day ski trip.

A friend always tells a story of a trip to Jackson Hole a good few years ago - one of the group ran out of underwear, so just decided to go commando under their snowboard pants. This became very apparent when on a toe side turn in a steep chute, they lost it, pitching over backwards. The impact popped the trouser buttons, and the resulting slide took said trousers to half mast - but on a positive note, this acted as a very effective arrest technique, as they quickly filled up with snow, so stopping the slide. The downside of this though was that on getting back on their feet, they couldn't physically get their trousers back up until they'd bailed out all the snow - to much cheering from the nearby lift passengers ....

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Wed 19-01-22 19:08; edited 1 time in total
latest report
afcbtim wrote:
Oh and always be the one to own up to breaking wind in a full gondola. Your fellow passengers will appreciate your honesty

Gnar points!
latest report
Ladies should avoid wearing very distinctive fluorescent salopettes if they are having a comfort break behind a rock beside a piste with their skis still on and facing downhill.
snow report
Make new friends by being the 5th on a 4 seater chair.
snow report
zikomo wrote:
@Mollerski, Try the 2.3Km t-bar on the glacier in Sass Fee. When you have an uber-keen 7 year old who always wants to go with Daddy. 12 minutes feels like 30 with a t-bar at knee height.

Oh god ... I remember that ... brings tears to my eyes even 15 years later
snow conditions
On a very foggy day with zero visibility tell your girlfriend that it is ok to do the business anywhere as no one is about and she is desperate to go

Then listen to the cheers and whistles from the above chairlift as the fog clears
ski holidays
Pejoli wrote:
halfhand wrote:
When packing for a ski trip remember to save weight by not packing any undercrackers. The pair you will be wearing when you leave home are perfectly adequate for a 4 day ski trip.

A friend always tells a story of a trip to Jackson Hole a good few years ago - one of the group ran out of underwear, so just decided to go commando under their snowboard pants. This became very apparent when on a toe side turn in a steep chute, they lost it, pitching over backwards. The impact popped the trouser buttons, and the resulting slide took said trousers to half mast - but on a positive note, this acted as a very effective arrest technique, as they quickly filled up with snow, so stopping the slide. The downside of this though was that on getting back on their feet, they couldn't physically get their trousers back up until they'd bailed out all the snow - to much cheering from the nearby lift passengers ....

Literally crying with laughter Laughing Laughing
latest report
Eat "Catalan tomato and garlic bread" for breakfast, you can enjoy the strong taste of garlic all day in your buff or FFP mask Shock
snow report
When heading out to teach yourself how to snowboard after arriving in st Anton the day before and never having skied/boarded in your life, you should definitely get straight on the nearest chairlift to the chalet. The ski instructor you knock off the chair as you attempt to get on will be most amused and will probably teach you some new words in German! As you are now alone on the chair feeling as if it's a bit dangerous at this height with no safety barrier, don't bother looking up and pulling on said barrier, ride the chair like an American! When you finally arrive at the top you should have the option of 2 runs, one is red, the other black. Choose red, after all black is for expert skiers, you can do that next Toofy Grin
2 hours later as you Arrive back at the bottom of the slope you have now accomplished your goal of learning to snowboard Very Happy although your bottom does hurt quite a bit. Maybe leave the black run til tomorrow... Toofy Grin
ski holidays
When Snowboarding (if you must!), always ensure that when you pass a ski class of 7 yr olds, keep the instructor in your blind spot, that way you only hit him/her and minimise the chances of injuring a child.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
RedandWhiteFlachau wrote:
When Snowboarding (if you must!), always ensure that when you pass a ski class of 7 yr olds, keep the instructor in your blind spot, that way you only hit him/her and minimise the chances of injuring a child.

Too soon?
snow conditions
halfhand wrote:
RedandWhiteFlachau wrote:

Too soon?

Not for the two who hit me in the last 48 hrs.
ski holidays
@RedandWhiteFlachau, Righto. Hope you're doing ok.
snow conditions
halfhand wrote:
@RedandWhiteFlachau, Righto. Hope you're doing ok.

Fine thank you. One I can forgive but two was taking the wee wee. Exactly the same issue in both cases. Coming into a lift stop too fast and clipping from above and behind as I ushered my group towards the lift gates.
snow report
If you are filming the days skiing on your go pro remember to turn it off when you go to the loo otherwise you may have more of yourself in the video than planned.

We have never let our mate forget his mistake!
snow report
wam15 wrote:
If you are filming the days skiing on your go pro remember to turn it off when you go to the loo otherwise you may have more of yourself in the video than planned.

We have never let our mate forget his mistake!

Bet it would have been cold 8-
snow report
ousekjarr wrote:
When asked where you’d like to go next, don’t be a picky, demanding person. Answer only with Down or Up as appropriate.

omg! you've been talking to my other half! I get a similar answer when we are climbing too and I'm desperately clinging on 100ft up looking for the next hold and asking for 'beta' (info on the next hold)......all I get back is Go up! rolling eyes
latest report
If lucky enough to land a job for the season treat it as a five month holiday - no one gets sacked from those jobs, do they?
latest report
When wearing new white one piece go and introduce yourself to cute avalanche dog that happens to be sitting an a muddy patch at bottom of lift. Cute dog then stands on back legs to give the face a welcoming lick while very muddy front paws leave a selection of prints and smears all down your front. To finish it off try yelling at the dogs handler and demanding money for cleaning costs while fifty odd people waiting for the lift tell you what kind of tosser they think you are.
To clarify I was not the wearer of the white one piece Toofy Grin and the dog wasn't harmed during this incident.
ski holidays
Skiing is good practice for a career as a politician. You might actually come to understand how they think and their distain for joe public. In particular, never answer a direct question with a direct answer or even a truthful one:

Question: Will I be able to ski it?
Answer: Don't worry, you'll get down.
Meaning: No. But I will.

Question: Will there be any moguls?
Answer: Not sure but there are always potentially moguls.
Meaning: Damn right there are.

Question: What colour run is this, you said it was a blue?
Answer: I think it is.
Meaning: The top bit is a blue, this is black.

Question: Will I need to pole?
Answer: No.
Meaning: Not provided you straight line the top section.

Question: We are stopping at a nice restaurant for lunch?
Answer: We sure are.
Meaning: We sure are, tomorrow.
snow report
Always ensure that everybody is suitable steeped in alcohol during apres and dinner, it will ease the muscles Darlings,
And then have a jolly giggle in the morning because they have all woken up in a
Misty mooring.........darling.
ski holidays
@Sarge McSarge, But are you the dog? (No one knows your a dog on the internet.)
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy