Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Plagne - summer skiing

Poster: A snowHead
Just in case anyone happens across the La Plagne website, the revised 2006 version for the summer season, "Our Mountains" section entitled "Summer Skiing - Ski Schools"...

Despite this heading, having contacted the Tourist Office for clarification, they've just confirmed that summer skiing is definitely no more Sad.

Access to the glacier continues, where you can visit the recently created ice grotto, try out the sledge run, or even ... have a go at pétanque (French bowls rolling eyes)

(July 2004) Summer skiing La Plagne - RIP Crying or Very sad
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Well it was never a large area but it's always sad to see any reduction in the already very limited summer sliding opportunities. Since they are still going to run the bubbles up to the area is there any mileage in a local club running a drag or two - - - or will CdA stamp on anything like that with giant snowshoes???
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Did I read somewhere that Summer skiing can potentially damage some Glaciers in the long term and that resting them over the Summer can protect them? eg whatever it was that I read was suggesting that the Tignes Glacier was being worn out by summer skiing?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Kieran, I think the damage occurs only when all the snow has melted and we are skiing on the actual glacier itself. There does seem to be a move to cannons which will protect the ice, and also earlier opening. However while school holidays stay in August, most resorts will want to stay open if possible. Logically it can't be good for the glacier to have hundreds of peeps scraping away at it with skis can it?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yeap, now only two possibilities being les 2 Alpes or Tignes.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Londonmarmotte, Val d'Isere is re-opening it's summer skiing following the installation of a few snow cannons on their glacier. There's also the summer skiing in Switzerland (and Austria?).
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rob@rar.org.uk, More in Austria than anywhere else I reckon: Hintertux, Pitztal, Stubaital, and a couple of others I think that I'm not sure of off the top of my head.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
easiski,

Kitzenhorn
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Here you can see a list of the places that offer summer skiing worldwide:

http://www.nevasport.com/classic/esqui-verano.php

It´s in spanish but that doesn´t matter if you only want to check the places.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hi pedro maia - useful site. However Nevasport will have to delete Les Diablerets in Switzerland from the list - see here...
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
PG, thanks, I already placed the information that Les Diablerets won´t have summer skiing this season (the same happens with Alpe d´Huez) and next season I will probably remove those 2 resorts from the list.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Going to Canada in early July on Holiday, hoping to get 4 or 5 days on the glacier there, though I know very little about the terrain, seems to be one giant park. Can't seem to find any detailed info, the whistler website is pretty useless for this info. Anyone been?
ski holidays
 brian
brian
Edmundh009, I visited in summer once but the glacier was closed. Nice walking and bear spotting from the chairlifts though.

Some stats:

Total Area 112 acres / 45 hectares
Top Elevation 7642 ft / 2330 m
Lift Serviced Vertical 685 ft / 209 m
Exposure northwest
Average Slope 17 degrees
Terrain extremely varied, including groomed terrain, mogul lanes, and terrain park
Terrain Park & Pipe For public: 1 box, 1 c-box, 1 flat-bar
Food & Beverage Horstman Hut is open
Lifts Available on Glacier 2 Doppelmayr T-bars: Horstman and Showcase
Travel Time From Base 45 minutes. Upload starts at 11:00am at the Wizard Express, base of Blackcomb.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Cheers for that Brian. I think the ski area must be the size of Cairngorm (in bounds) ski area. I'm basing that on km of terrain, could be way out though. I think both have 20km.
snow conditions
 brian
brian
Edmundh009, Quite a bit smaller I think, Ptarmigan to daylodge at cairngorm is approx. 450m, which is more than twice as much.
snow conditions
Ah well, I'm sure it'll be plenty still can't really complain getting to ski outside in July.
snow conditions
Edmundh009, summer skiing at Whistler (better saying at Blackomb) started the 5th of June and will last until the 31st of July, the information is updated at their site http://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/todo/summer/glacier/index.htm.
snow report
rob@rar.org.uk wrote:
Londonmarmotte, Val d'Isere is re-opening it's summer skiing following the installation of a few snow cannons on their glacier.

Didn't do Val d'Isere much good, glacier is closing on Sunday, 1 month earlier than planned.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy