Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Crystal Ski customer service

Poster: A snowHead
Any recent views/experience on Crystal. I see they are now predominately flight/transfer, with majority (if not all) accommodation privately ran in Alps, so gone are the days of Crystal seasonnaire staffed accommodation

Anyway, I have been trying to book a group holiday (11) with them, so can't online, and I must admit the experience over the past week has been woeful.

Over 60min queue waits on the phone to speak with an agent, holiday put on hold then not available when I call back to confirm, promise of call back to me that never materialised, so left in limbo.

I appreciate we are in unprecedented times, but having booked many many ski holidays over the years, both package and DIY, I do wonder about their broader capabilities and I guess longevity.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I generally find them helpful....but atm I think there are 2 problems:

1. Reduced staff due to Covid
2. Exceptional demand - especially after the Govt relaxing some of the rules for travelling
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Never Crystal (and never Chambery) following on from their woeful handing of a 37-hour delay at Chambery.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@DaddyLouLou, Good god. Only done Chambery once. What a strange airport. The pilot landed like he was trying to land on a runway 10 foot under the actual runway, and passport control was a pop up gazebo on the tarmac.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I personally like Chambery, although the 180 turn just before landing can cause a few jitters for those not expecting it! Although tbh I've never had delays or issues.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I've been going with Crystal for years - even before they became part of TUI. The experience has been much more positive than negative....but there have been negative moments, mostly when getting transferred to the resort, where delayed or diverted flights can cause mayhem.

I have also been to Chambery many times. It isn't a great experience (especially on departure day), due to being much too small, with inadequate facilities....and despite being in a geographical location that can cause landing problems, it happened surprisingly seldom.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Been with Crystal a few times, sometimes okay, never exceptional and sometimes dire.

Chambery is one of my preferred routes in to that region, 1 major delay in about 30 in/out trips, 1 minor delay.

Pick your times for flying and it gets a lot easier.

Flying in, usually a bit later in the morning or lunchtime so any fog can burn off, flying out mid afternoon if you can (so inbound flight let's fog burn off and also so all the passengers Crystal dumped at 6am for the 10am flight have mostly got on a plane or been bussed to another airport as their inbound Flight diverted to grenoble or Geneva because of the early fog).
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Recent experience of Crystal has been dire!

Unable to log in to "my booking" due to a system migration, which has been going on since at least the beginning of September. One phone call, a web chat and an email later (all promising a resolution) and still nothing.

Slippery slope (pun intended) me thinks...
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
brianr wrote:
I personally like Chambery, although the 180 turn just before landing can cause a few jitters for those not expecting it! Although tbh I've never had delays or issues.

Same - had many worse trips to GVA over the years.

Love Chambery for proximity to Tignes, although the facilities are a bit thin - its like the Hunger Games when a seat becomes available upstairs........
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
GreenDay wrote:

......although the facilities are a bit thin - its like the Hunger Games when a seat becomes available upstairs........

....or a luggage trolley!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@brianr, do TUI (Thomson) travel agents deal with bookings for Crystal? I see they still have a shop in Dunfermline.

I’ve travelled with Crystal a few times over the years. Found their prices competitive and service OK.

I also like Chambery. Worth putting up with shortfall in facilities for shorter transfer time. Accept it is more prone to mist and fog problems but that has never affected me significantly.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I always thought Innsbruck was worse than Chambery for fog
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
"..do TUI (Thomson) travel agents deal with bookings for Crystal?.."

Crystal are part of TUI, so I imagine the answer would be, Yes
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have recently booked with Crystal - the first time with a tour operator for many years, but after last years cancellations > rebooking's > cancellations and chasing of refunds across flights, car hire and accommodation I thought we'd take it a bit easier this year, and go with a big and hopefully secure operator. If everything goes tits up again then at least there's only one lot of chasing to be done!

Anyway - booking all done online, but unable to get in touch via phone which doesn't really bode well. I did manage to make contact with a real person using their 'live chat' option though and have had no issues logging in.

The phone thing surprised me though. I wanted to ask a couple of questions (and book our holiday) but just couldn't get through. On another day they would have lost the booking.

Given the lack of personnel available to take new bookings I have also thought about the bigger picture with Crystal & maybe TUI. Hope it's just a blip and down to a surge in demand..
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We’ve booked with Crystal this winter. As @obmij, it’s only because of Covid I’ve done so as I prefer to do diy, but we are where we are. We’ve threatened to sue them twice before (we won), so I’m under no illusions and don’t expect them to be any better now we’re in pandemic times. I’ve booked completely online so not had cause to speak to an operator - but certainly it will be a very last resort if I have to. All a bit depressing reading this back!!
ski holidays
We flew with Crystal to Zell am See for Christmas 2019. Having used them many times before we thought we’d be in safe hands. The flight was delayed at Gatwick for an hour before we were told we’d first be flying to Cardiff to deliver ‘a box of bits’ for another plane that had broken down… the whole thing resulted in a 4 hour delay and instead of arriving in time for dinner at the hotel, we arrived just before midnight. The service in resort wasn’t much better either; the rep forgot to tell us where to meet the coach for the transfer back to Salzburg so we had to phone around on the final day to find out where they were waiting. Then the coach broke down before leaving so we all had to get off and switch. All in all, not great. We were given a voucher to use with a decent amount off our next holiday, but it had to be booked by April 2020… well, we all know what happened next!
Still, I just can’t find anywhere that beats their prices and TUI is a huge company that is, hopefully, more stable than some of its smaller counterparts.
ski holidays
I've booked with Crystal too this winter - not my choice though. I'm joining some friends, who had already booked with them as some needed childcare.

I did look at diy-ing it - but couldn't beat the Crystal price, plus diy would involve a flight transfer instead of the crystal direct flight (not Chambery), and messing around with car rental and unfamiliar roads.

I'm not expecting much, and if things go wrong - well I'll be with some of my closest friends, and we'll have travel entertainment etc prepared.

All done online - not needed to contact customer services yet..

Other trips are diy though, plus a Bash.
snow report
We've used Crystal for Madonna a few times but only because it's worked out a fair bit cheaper than DIY. We've not had any issues, but they did forget to pick up a guest on the return transfer one year.

I believe they were pretty good with repatriation flights and refunds when Italy went into lockdown. We had a very stressful 2 days arguing with Skiworld about when we were being flown home, the Crystal guests in the hotel were treated much better.

My expectations are never that great when it comes to tour operators but Crystal are certainly not the worst.
ski holidays
Used Crystal many many times and can't complain. It is just a service to link stuff together and is often cheaper than DIY, which I also do a lot. If airports, weather or other things, cause problems with travel they will sort it, but only within the limits of what is available to them. If people want private jets, massages and a cuddle on your trip then pay more.

PS Customer service were excellent when it came to refunding 2020 cancelled trips. For 2021 rather than just go for refund we decided to take them up on their 20% upgrade for 2022. So they have sorted us a very nice Hotel upgrade for the 2022 trip now. Pretty good really.
snow report
I have used Crystal many times before and they have been great, but this time the lack of communication and added to the fact we have scheduled flights rather than TUI it just gives me a bad feeling, the trip will be cancelled.

Has anyone else lost access to the live chat on Crystal website?
ski holidays
"..we have scheduled flights.." are we talking easyjet/ryanair here ?? ; Given the buying power of TUI, I suspect, if the scheduled flight is cancelled, they will just put on a charter flight
snow conditions
Easyjet Liverpool to Salzburg

Flights being cancelled was my thoughts too, but the exact holiday is still for sale, albeit £1000 more for 3 people!
ski holidays
Yup - prices are going up so people are obviously still buying, our hotel is now sold out.

I suppose these days pretty much everything is done online & I would rarely call the airline, car rental company or even hotel. I have booked with Tui before and that was all online too.

However some things you cannot do online (like book for 11 pax) and I'm guessing a fair percentage of bookings will need to be changed due to CV19, which is why they are offering the flexibility. It's a shame they haven't invested in the personnel to effect this.

@zedster the live chat does seem to have disappeared!
latest report
A little update:

I tried to pay the balance for the trip today and had it confirmed that about 700 people are still not migrated to the new system, which could take another 2 weeks ish. No payments or alterations can be made during this time.

The main thing here is, our holiday is not going to be cancelled or altered due to the scheduled flights. For me, Crystal should have communicated this to it's customers and then perhaps the switchboard might not have been so busy!
snow report
We were in Madonna with Crystal when Italy locked down, dealt with pretty well.
Got a text monday lunchtime saying lifts will shut from end of Tuesday, then an update later that night to say 'Sorry but thats it, lifts all shut'.
Spend Tuesday wandering round Madonna, got a text to say we will fly you home on Wed, details TBC
Found out about 2000 Tuesday night that our pickup time was 0600, we got flown to Gatwick which was where we started, they had laid on a long haul Dreamliner and we were lucky enough to be allocated premium seats.
Our friends had flown from Edinburgh, they were flown back to Newcastle then bussed to Edinburgh.
Returned lift pass in resort to the rep then got a 4 days refund on our total holiday cost and a £100 voucher to use the following year.
Can't really complain, the DIY family in our hotel were very stressed about how they would get home, tried to do a deal with the rep but our plane was full so not sure what happened in the end.
latest report
Just a heads up as to how busy Crystal are:

I had been keeping an eye on their 4 Night Holidays to Les Arcs. I was half tempted by the price. I looked again about 10 days later - and those Holidays had all but doubled. It's now more expensive than I usually pay for 7 nights - and close enough to the 7 night price, that is doesn't make sense.

I rang Crystal (Ireland) and was told that France was nearly booked out for Jan - I think she said there were 30 seats left on flights. She said the price has gone up to reflect the strong demand.

Looks like the decision to try and get a Last Minute bargain is now strengthened. I suppose it will let me see where the snow is and how Covid is affecting things.

I get the feeling resorts will be very full this year, as people are desperate to get their skiing fix.
latest report
Old Fartbag wrote:
I get the feeling resorts will be very full this year, as people are desperate to get their skiing fix.

Im not sure about resorts being full, as I think it’ll be some time yet before masses are convinced to travel, but I certainly think bargains will be a lot more difficult to come by in the short term.

I’m currently staying out in southern Spain for a few weeks, and it’s certainly not what I’d call super busy. But having spoken to some of the local bar and restaurant workers and hire car companies, they’re currently operating at capacity. That’s due in part to two major factors: current demand has risen massively compared to just 2 months ago; and they’re struggling to keep up in terms of staff and resources. For example the hire car companies are all completely sold out because, as one told me, it’s a perfect storm of many more customers than last month and they’re operating from a much reduced fleet of cars than previous years. It’s going to take some time yet for it all to level itself off into a sustainable future model.

I imagine holiday companies will not yet be offering anything like previous years’ of availability for flights and/or accommodation. So, while total resort numbers may still be down, availability through TOs will likely be more scarce IMO as they will be running a much reduced menu of options.
snow report
@Dav, That seems a logical analysis.....though skiers are a funny breed - If the they miss a season, let alone two, they'll crawl over hot coals to get the planks on.

I hope I get going soon - as I keep buying ski stuff, to make myself feel better (it's my substitute for chocolate). Toofy Grin
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We booked the Crystal 4 days Les Arcs trip flying from Glasgow for £369 each half board just last week. Mr mogulski now gets a free ski pass in France and I get senior so it was a no brainer to book. Flight back insn't until 19.40 so we are hoping for a half day skiing on the Saturday. Have managed that before infact once arrived back at the coach in ski gear 10 minutes before it was leaving!
That is ski trip 1 booked, then doing BB and intend to do at least 2 weeks in France early April with the family joining us in the school holidays.
snow report
Booked with Crystal around two months ago for March in Cervinia. A tour operator for the first time in over 20 years due to COVID risk was my thinking. Very cheap for a half board and a good hotel, £1000 per head including an International pass for Zermatt. Good email communication and a detailed accurate invoice. So far so good. One of my daughters has also used them a few years ago and they were excellent. Any issues I have will all be in ‘one basket’ so to speak. Surprised to be flying on a 767 to Turin from Manchester, hope they fill it as it’s a big plane.
latest report
Oh it was a bogof at the time on the lift passes!
latest report
My last trip with Crystal, the highlight of the week, was the overnight delay in Innsbruck.
They stuck us in a five star hotel (The Europa?) for the night.
Up until that point, I had complained to the hotel manager twice, and the resort manager as well on two occasions.
I was not the first to demand that the resort manager "get their back bottom here" that week either.
From my view, that`s four more complaints than I had made in the previous thirty years combined.
DIY since then.
snow conditions
Been with Crystal numerous times over the years and the experience has been okay. Certainly got my money back quicker than some for my cancelled March 2020 trip to Tignes. I book trips in a mixed fashions - DIY/small operators/Bashes/Crystal. Certainly they can be good for single rooms.

I had two deposits for trips this coming January and March. Decided that my knee repair was not up to a week off-piste in St Anton and booked the Birthday Bash for some gentle piste skiing in pleasant company!!. Thought I maybe able to move the £100 to the March trip under there guarantee. Spoke to a rep after a 60 minute wait who could not answer my request. She could not get hold of a manager. She asked me to email their cancellations desk who have happily obliged. Happy with that.

In my experience you can rarely beat TUIs packages for sunny costa type holidays or Cancun trips.
ski holidays
Just checking in with other people with Crystal bookings...

I was originally told my balance was due 12 weeks before the trip, as per standard T&Cs (27th Nov). When I logged in this morning, the payment screens said 25th Dec!

Gave Crystal a call (14mins wait @noon, could have been worse), and the girl I spoke to said they have extanded the payment window for all European ski trips (not US or Canada), and said my balance was due 18th Dec. All slightly confusing, but fine.

Anyone else noticed anything similar with dates? Just looking for some reassurance I can leave it a bit later than planned really Very Happy
ski holidays
My balance was due 16th. October and I have had no communication from Crystal about when I will be able to pay it. I'm not sure they are being totally honest with us!
ski holidays
Hmm - my balance was due a week ago but while away on holiday so made sure we paid it so I didn't forget while away. I guess with the Covid guarantee if there are problems we will get the money back so fingers crossed its all OK
latest report
Booked a holiday with them this week to Saalbach in March. I had occasion to call them and they answered quickly and dealt with my query efficiently. So far so good.
ski holidays
fixx wrote:
Just checking in with other people with Crystal bookings...

I was originally told my balance was due 12 weeks before the trip, as per standard T&Cs (27th Nov). When I logged in this morning, the payment screens said 25th Dec!

Gave Crystal a call (14mins wait @noon, could have been worse), and the girl I spoke to said they have extanded the payment window for all European ski trips (not US or Canada), and said my balance was due 18th Dec. All slightly confusing, but fine.

Anyone else noticed anything similar with dates? Just looking for some reassurance I can leave it a bit later than planned really Very Happy

Same sort of experience here - balance originally due 30 October (trip date 22 Jan) and then after a change to the booking we got a confirmation email with new due date being 27 November (8 weeks before departure).
latest report
I had an e-mail from them advising that balance needs to be paid 8 weeks in advance, rather than the original 12 weeks
snow conditions
No such luck for me, my balance was due October 23rd(12 weeks before) so had to pay it
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy