Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New skier - First holiday - Words of wisdom?

Poster: A snowHead
@Ciorsdah, My best advice is to not have any expectations of yourself. You will have days where you feel you have advanced and others where you feel the opposite. It is all part of learning. You will sometimes work on drills that make you feel you are getting worse, trust your instructor there will be good reason. If it is any consolation, I struggled with the snowplough in my first instructor exams, it is not easy to do well!
Take all the advice above about doing your boots up properly, especially banging your heel down before clipping up. Make sure the buckles over the top of your foot are as loose as they can be without falling open when you move - cold feet and pain is more often caused by over-tightening these than anything else. If you have discomfort in your feet do not hesitate to take your boots to a recommended ski shop and ask for help.
Take lip salve. Use it from the first day, and often. Once your lips are already dry and chapped it is too late.
Use more sun screen that you think you need. Way more. Top it up during the day.
Don't worry about the size of your class. I actually find slightly larger classes work best for beginners. The social side, and humour when it all goes wrong can be very positive. And it is VERY tiring learning to ski, so getting some small breaks while you wait for others can be good.
Remember to have fun, always! Even if your skiing is terrible. That is part of the fun.
Morning lessons are enough in my view. Practise in the afternoons if you have the energy. BUT don't let anyone else "teach" you anything outside of the class, if you have friends with you explain you just want to work on what you have been learning that morning.
Spoil yourself often with hot drinks.
Start to budget now for a lifetime of repeat trips!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I would just add, don’t forget to take one ski boot with you when you go to hire your skis.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
alangibson73 wrote:
Don't ski with a hangover.

If you meanit a bit of a waste of a skiing holiday getting a hangover I agree but if you do over do it a bit of fresh air and exercise is preferable to staying in in a cramped alpine apartment IMHO.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Transformative things in my skiing journey ...

Having decent thin(ish) ski socks, a fresh pair every day
Having decent fitting boots, and learning the buckle sequence, especially the hard heel tap
+1 to carrying a strip of Ibuprofen in your pocket
Oakley Prism lenses (high pink and rose in my case) ... decent goggles are a good investment
Dry your gloves ready for the next day
Learning to side slip ... will get you out of almost any situation

Enjoy the mountains ... it is not a race to the next lift, sometimes you need to stop (in an appropriate location) and embrace where you are

Personally I think that morning lessons in a small group may be enough, our experience is that people often drop out of the group as the week progresses. You will have information overload and probably be too knackered to get much out of afternoon lessons, but as said previously, your instructor should be able to point you to an area where you can consolidate your new skills.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
DJ wrote:
I would just add, don’t forget to take one ski boot with you when you go to hire your skis.

FYI many places require both boots, at least in North America.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You haven't done it right unless you're wandering around trying to find your hotel still wearing full ski gear, carrying your helmet and hopefully both skis, at 3am.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@TopGooner, ....and being at ski school morning after still dressed in ski gear from day before, still steaming!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Scooter in Seattle, Never needed both boots, most skis are ambidextrous after all (actually my wife has a set of Elan's that are marked left and right)!

From a strict safety perspective you are right though, as part of the process the technician should check the soles, especially heels and toes, of the boots to ensure no degradation. Yo cannot be 100% sure without inspecting both boots and ensuring the correct forward pressure for both boots in both bindings. Never seen this asked for in a European rental shop though. And the OP has new boots which I assume have near pristine soles so she will be fine just taking one boot.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@DJ, but take both boots when you go skiing ... wink
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
DO NOT try showing off your highland dancing on the tables at the folle duce in your boots.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Do people really need to be recommended to wear a fresh pair of socks every day? I really hope not!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
under a new name wrote:
@DJ, but take both boots when you go skiing ... wink

So that’s where I’ve been going wrong!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Jonny996 wrote:
DO try showing off your highland dancing on the tables at the folle duce in your boots.

FIFY
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If you do a highland dance in ski boots on a table in Folle Duce, please,please get someone to video you and post it on snowheads snowHead
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

Do people really need to be recommended to wear a fresh pair of socks every day? I really hope not!

Of course not. One pair will do for a week or two.
ski holidays
Jagerbull wrote:

Yes they do! Went of my first "lads" (over 50) ski trip a couple of years ago and it was an eye-opener (and nose). Different strokes for different folks and all that, but can't imagine putting on dirty socks or base layer the next day. Nor what my boots would smell like if I did! And what if you get in an accident? lol
snow conditions
Quote:

can't imagine putting on dirty socks or base layer the next day.

All depends how stinky you are, I suppose. I don't find that merino base layers get stinky after one day. When sailing, with extremely limited access to fresh water, I find that wearing them for several days is fine, and once they've been pegged on the guardrail in the sun for a couple of hours, they're good to go for several more.

I suspect that the OP is more than capable of deciding when to change her socks.
snow report
@zikomo, Base layer good for 2 weeks surely?! wink says the man who'se been known to wash his grundies in Lake Zurich and hang them on the hire car wing-mirror to dry out on route to the hills.
snow conditions
@pam w, Happy to rough it when I have to, and do so quite often when touring, camping, fishing, hunting. Clean socks whenever possible though, always have a minimum of 2 pairs as would anyone with a military background for very good reason. Your feet will always thank you for looking after them.

But like most I normally put clean clothes on every day. Especially when exercising. Like on a ski holiday.

And I was only having some fun, not seriously suggesting the OP or anyone else needs advice from me (or anyone else) on how often to change anything.
snow conditions
Changing base layers and socks every day, good grief, must be wearing cotton or some other inappropriate material for skiing Puzzled
Invest in merino for both base layers and socks and you can mange a couple of days out of them at least without smells occurring.

For the inevitable over indulgence of Apres, pack the Berocca. One each morning before breakfast and you're fresh as a daisy by the time you head for the first lift Laughing

Also pack some compeed blister pads or leukoplast tape just incase your boots give you jip.
ski holidays
@Ciorsdah, The joy of Snowheads, is you are getting a lifetime of tips before your first trip. Those of us that went pre social media, learned the hard way.

If there is any area where you want further detail/explanation/clarification - just ask....even if you think it's stupid. This could be about Skis/Boots; Technique; Clothing/Layering; Fitness; Accommodation; Travel; Resort; Gloves/Goggles/Helmet; Lens colour and anything else you might think of. There is more to almost every aspect of this sport than you might think.

It is not often that a question goes unanswered, as there is almost always somebody on here who knows.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Tue 18-01-22 19:01; edited 3 times in total
latest report
I generally walk a few miles twice a week and, in winter, often use the same Icebreaker merino base layer. They'll easily last two days, more like 4/5.

And gloves - if, like me, you have cold hands you need something decent. I now have the 3 finger Hestras. They worked in the Arctic Circle (Norway) so that's good enough for me.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Tue 18-01-22 18:15; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Thin ski socks not thick, and definitely not tube socks.

Thin inner gloves in pocket.

Merino buff.

Layers not bulky jacket.

Sunglasses in pocket, goggles on the hill. Never sunglasses with helmet.

Lipsalve regularly. Factor 30 liberally.

Drink plenty water.

Drink plenty beer too but not until 16.30.
snow report
@Markymark29, what's wrong with sunglasses? I have reactolite glasses so just wear them or I couldn't read anything - hardly ever goggles.
snow conditions
@Ciorsdah, hello and welcome to snowHeads! Very Happy

This bit of @Old Fartbag's post above
Quote:

There is more to almost every aspect of this sport than you might think.

reminded me, in conjunction with the advice on socks and laundry that you're receiving, that it's never too soon to learn how to put your gloves on. (Though of course, the very use of gloves is moot - some people prefer mittens as they allegedly keep your hands warmer than gloves do.)

Happy reading! Toofy Grin

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=777704&highlight=glove+technique#777704
snow report
billb wrote:
@Markymark29, what's wrong with sunglasses? I have reactolite glasses so just wear them or I couldn't read anything - hardly ever goggles.

It can be seen as a fashion Faux Pas - personally I don't give a hoot. If it's very cold, or I'm skiing fast enough to make my eyes water - then it's Goggles. If it's warm and sunny and I'm taking it easy, then it's Sunglasses (which have changeable lenses).

Sometimes, Sunnies with a helmet are uncomfortable.
snow report
@Old Fartbag,
Quote:

If it's very cold, or I'm skiing fast enough to make my eyes water - then it's Goggles. If it's warm and sunny and I'm taking it easy, then it's Sunglasses
+1
ski holidays
Hurtle wrote:

Happy reading! Toofy Grin

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=777704&highlight=glove+technique#777704

Who knew! Toofy Grin

If you have false teeth and you use them to get the gloves on/off...don't lose them on a chairlift (especially if they are still clenching the glove!)
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Damn, I was drawn into that glove thread...... But, what a pity, tablet battery is 5% now so have to charge up.....
ski holidays
@billb, Was only messing, it’s not my thing though - I wear goggles with helmet in all conditions, including bluebird conditions, vents open its great. Better peripheral vision imv. Sunglasses and bobble hat for going uphill not down, I can’t see my eyes going downhill in sunglasses, they flood with tears (of happiness) when it’s cold especially. I also lose sunnies for fun so it can get expensive with polarised prism lenses.
ski holidays
Markymark29 wrote:

Sunglasses in pocket, goggles on the hill. Never sunglasses with helmet.

This is a fashion tip rather than practical advice , its considered by some to be not the done thing like wearing trainers with a suit or short socks on the golf course rather than having any practical merit unless its really cold, in which case goggles keep you warmer.
latest report
@T Bar, not true - skiing downhill with watery eyes caused by icy wind is no fun imv. Thanks I’ll give my practical advice if it’s ok with you? wink
ski holidays
I prefer sunglasses to goggles every day. If the sunglasses fit properly, watery eyes isn't a problem. However, I'm old school / stupid and only started wearing a helmet a couple of years ago.

I'm sure it's not the only fashion faux pas in my locker but I'm past caring. NehNeh
latest report
As much fitness before you go. You will find muscles you didn't realize you had. Also, stretch down in the evening and go for a short walk. That'll stop you waking up stiff the next morning.

People have mentioned leg work before you go but also work on your core. Pilates is good for this. It'll help your stability and also with getting up if you do fall over.

Most importantly, relax and enjoy. Oh and make the most of having money in your bank account. Cool
latest report
Markymark29 wrote:
@T Bar, not true - skiing downhill with watery eyes caused by icy wind is no fun imv. Thanks I’ll give my practical advice if it’s ok with you? wink

Have to confess I have virtually never suffered from watery eyes with sunnies particularly at beginner speeds. I wear goggles now mainly because its a faff to carry both and I always break sunnies.
ski holidays
I wear normal specs & have always had the bigger style ones, that’s what I wear with no watering
snow conditions
Sorry bit late to the sock commentary.

125,000 sweat glands in each foot.

I always have a clean pair of socks - in everyday life. But I am so used to climbing and mountain bike epics that I tolerate ski socks for 2-3 days. Merino. Am I a bad person?
snow conditions
Wow I love this thread. You will have amazing times just don’t stress

One thing I’m sure of is after a week of lessons you will be skiing blue runs regularly and there’s some amazing runs in VT to enjoy (I’m there now)

I think having read all this, the ‘don’t be afraid to get a lift down at the end of the day’ is deffo good advice. I’ve been knackered way too many times and that last run has been horrible.

Also googles and helmets. I skied for years with hats and sunnies, but now goggles and helmets. I think my next investment is verificol Goggles as this week I am goggles Over glasses which is a pain but it works

Have an amazing time
snow report
Get your ski clobber sorted the night before each day's skiing. Remember: ski pass in jacket left arm pocket, lesson voucher in another. Don't underestimate the amount of faffing you (and others) will need to do before each ski day. Don't be late for your lesson!
snow report
HilbertSpace wrote:
Don't underestimate the amount of faffing you (and others) will need to do before each ski day.

The Skiing : Faffing ratio is key. If it gets above 50:50, it's gone too far. Toofy Grin
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy