Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New skier - First holiday - Words of wisdom?

Poster: A snowHead
...and the most important thing, the panini "experience" at the Knife & Fork - once tried, never forgotten Laughing
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Assume your apartment will have just a single socket in every room with an appliance/lamp already plugged in it! Get a couple of short 4 'plughole' British extension leads, maybe with usb built in and and a French adapter for each. All your charging, toothbrushes, hairdryers etc will fit! These days you can probably get the whole thing in a oner, with the french plug on it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Beikell-Charger-Device-Adaptive-Charging-Technology/dp/B07Y3DBNRW/ref=asc_df_B07Y3DBNRW/?tag=amz07b-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=383990402380&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=5387416651225178625&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9045385&hvtargid=pla-828711387082&psc=1&ref=&adgrpid=81030823329

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 18-01-22 13:01; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Charliegolf wrote:
blacksheep wrote:
When you're tired, listen to your body and finish the day a little early if needs be. Skiing tired is a sure way to lose your form and is often when injury happens. It will also mean you're ready to go the next day. Enjoy!

Similarly, don't be 'too proud' to take the gondola down at the end of the first day/days. The home run can be 'busy' and chopped up.

My wife flat out refuses to do the run home. Always gets the gondola.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Being based in Scotland, you're probably expecting mobile phone coverage in the mountains to be rubbish - but in the Alps it's generally excellent! This means you can coordinate and communicate easily with friends/family if you split up. BUT... try not to drop your phone when you're texting on a chairlift!

Speaking of dropping things on chairlifts, if you're worried about being clumsy, consider getting gloves with wrist straps. You'll be holding your poles (and possibly rucksack) already, and you don't want to risk dropping a glove when you take it off to apply lipsalve
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ah forgot about the ‘straying down the mountain from Val T’ issue. Found a family of four lost on the piste to Meribel, in total whiteout (cloud visibly passing between hand at arm’s length and face) - after suppressing their panic we got them back up the hill and on the way home. At one point the seven year old (who was skiing a great deal better than his parents) said ‘Are we going to die?’ So I assume there had been quite a lot of fretting before we arrived and roped them in. We could be quite reassuring on the ‘not dying’ thing.

That reminds me of a time when ValaisGrom was about five, and we were amongst only a handful of people going up to Plaine Morte in cloud, very low temps and high wind. He and I chatted all the way to the top, and as we exited, a lone skier started berating me for bringing such a tiny one into such a dangerous setting. The Grom looked a bit perplexed and interrupted to say ‘Can we go now, I am getting a bit cold standing around’ and clicked confidently into his skis after kicking off the snow under his boots. This somewhere confused the other guy, and off we went.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Tue 18-01-22 13:02; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Assume your apartment will have just a single socket in every room with an appliance/lamp already plugged in it! Get a couple of short 4 'plughole' British extension leads, maybe with usb built in and and a French adapter for each. All your charging, toothbrushes, hairdryers etc will fit! These days you can probably get the whole thing in a oner, with the french plug on it.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
On clothing, it might sound obvious but....

The only thing that should be inside your boots is your foot and the sock. Thermal leggings do NOT belong inside any part of the boot. Nor does the elasticated cuff at the base of your salopettes. That goes over the boot once it's done up. The snow skirt on your jacket is there for a reason, do it up. With gloves, I prefer gauntlet type gloves with a drawstring cuff so I can do it up tight over my jacket on cold days. Also on gloves, try and get ones with an elasticated wrist strap. These will allow you to take your gloves off on the lift without risk/fear of dropping them if you need to get your phone/piste map out.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If your boots have bespoke Footbeds - be careful of the Boot Dryers in the locker, which can be too warm for them. Bring them up to the room (ideally invest in a boot dryer)....as you don't want to put on cold damp boots in the morning.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
As has been said before, always look up the piste before setting off, and never stop in the middle of the piste, always stop at the edge.

If you're travelling faster than those down the slope, you're in charge, be aware of anyone you're overtaking as they may make a sudden change in direction. Pretty much behave as you would driving: expect the unexpected from other people.

The stats say that the majority of accidents happen on day 3, so listen to your body and go easy if you're tired.

I've always found that mountain / holiday hangovers are not as bad as at home, so enjoy within limits Very Happy Cool

Back in the day. I personally preferred morning lessons, with time to practice what I'd learnt in the afternoons.

Pack handwarmers. Take your gloves off and it's nice to have those in your pockets when going up chairlifts or in a gondola.

Blistex relief cream is excellent if you experience cracked lips from the cold. I always take some: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Blistex-soothing-protective-medicated-treatment/dp/B09MTXZY2Y/ref=pd_lpo_1?pd_rd_i=B09MTXZY2Y&psc=1&tag=amz07b-21
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Take some compeed plasters. And maybe vaseline. Boots can hurt.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Also on gloves, try and get ones with an elasticated wrist strap. These will allow you to take your gloves off on the lift without risk/fear of dropping them if you need to get your phone/piste map out.

However if you are a gentleman be careful just leaving them hanging from you writst if nature calls. You could end up with warm gloves - for a short while anyway.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ah - reminds me of someone who thought the hand-basin in a specific toilet was the only place to put his helmet and goggles - not noticing that the tap was automatically actuated - half-filled the helmet instantly. Soggy.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Lots of good advice here. You seem to be doing all the right things, with lessons before, lessons booked on the mountain, getting your own boots, etc. Enjoy!

A reminder of safety, both yours and others' (not trying to be a downer, but it's much better to start out the right way on these topics): as you get better, please keep controlling your speed, especially on busy pistes. You should always be able to avoid the skier below you, no matter what they do. (I realise that this may be tricky for a relative newcomer to the sport, but think of it this way: if you ski slow enough, even if something goes badly wrong and you do hit someone, the overwhelming likelihood is that nothing bad will happen. If you speed, lots can go wrong in a split-second).

A caveat: falling at slow speeds is somewhat more likely to lead to a cruciate ligament injury as the bindings may not release. The trick is to ski slow enough / in control, but fall fast if / when a fall can't be avoided. Personally, I like to feel comfortable enough with falling so that if something goes wrong I can quickly throw myself on the snow. That hardly hurts, whereas trying to avoid a fall at all costs, especially with limited experience, can end up with a bigger injury risk.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
horizon wrote:
Lots of good advice here. You seem to be doing all the right things, with lessons before, lessons booked on the mountain, getting your own boots, etc. Enjoy!

A reminder of safety, both yours and others' (not trying to be a downer, but it's much better to start out the right way on these topics): as you get better, please keep controlling your speed, especially on busy pistes. You should always be able to avoid the skier below you, no matter what they do. (I realise that this may be tricky for a relative newcomer to the sport, but think of it this way: if you ski slow enough, even if something goes badly wrong and you do hit someone, the overwhelming likelihood is that nothing bad will happen. If you speed, lots can go wrong in a split-second).

A caveat: falling at slow speeds is somewhat more likely to lead to a cruciate ligament injury as the bindings may not release. The trick is to ski slow enough / in control, but fall fast if / when a fall can't be avoided. Personally, I like to feel comfortable enough with falling so that if something goes wrong I can quickly throw myself on the snow. That hardly hurts, whereas trying to avoid a fall at all costs, especially with limited experience, can end up with a bigger injury risk.

Learning to hockey stop as soon as you can is a good idea, and can help avoid a lot of accidents. Linked to that, once you've done it in lessons, take the time to really practice how to slip slide properly. Being able to slip slide confidently will help you if there is a small section of a run that you're not comfortable with, and will avoid you having to do the walk of shame.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I’m taking a first timer to VT and my plan with him could apply to you:

- Make the trip fun. Social can be as important as the skiing.

- Don’t overdo it early on. When skiing becomes a chore or you get tired don’t be afraid to have a rest. You don’t want the legs to wear out for the last days of the trip.

- Once you are feeling confident, start a day with a harder run. Better than leaving it late in the day sometimes.

- Get a map and study it! Google the long cruising blues down to Les Meniures and warm up on those before doing steeper shorter runs.

- Find your favourite runs and redo them after a challenging one.

- Plan an exploration day to a different valley. Plan your route along blues and enjoy the adventure.

- Take a backpack with food, map and spare goggles.

- CHANGE SOCKS AT LUNCH. Really boosts morale for the afternoon.

- Have a ski/food/booze day where you ski somewhere and stop for vin chaux with a slice.

- Google articles about the ski runs. There are recommended ones for beginners and areas to go at different times of day.

- Visit Folie Doux one day for apres.
ski holidays
And the most important.

Buy silicone ear plugs. A must in a shared room
snow report
bezthespaniard wrote:
And the most important.

Buy silicone ear plugs. A must in a shared room

Haha - very good point!
ski holidays
Quote:

I disagree. You can buy food at various restaurants and snack bars, put the map in your pocket and you do not need spare goggles so why carry them. If you crash hard enough to break your goggles I think you'll have other things to worry about. Without the rucksack you don't have to constantly worrying about taking it off and putting it on again at chairlifts.
Quote:

CHANGE SOCKS AT LUNCH. Really boosts morale for the afternoon.

That's a new one on me. Why? Perhaps changing underpants might be suggested as well. I am of the belief that you should put your boots on first think in the morning and take them off again when you have finished skiing.
ski holidays
I've got the full kit and caboodle when it comes to footbeds in the boots - so thanks for the tip re the locker room heat (although... reading reviews of the accomodation it appears that the boot driers are a little hit or miss when it comes to actual heat... Shocked Shocked ) I've got my hairdryer so not so concerned.

Great tip about taking an extension lead - already found one and laid it out!
snow report
Don't be put off if you have variable weather and variable snow conditions. A single week in a season is the luck of the draw. You could have light wind and sun everyday with a covering of squeaky powder on decent pistes - that would be ideal but is not guaranteed. If the sun goes out, it transforms the slopes and you have "flat light", as mentioned earlier, which makes it harder to see the bumps. But that's all part of skiing and the sun will return and you'll love it! Enjoy your week. snowHead
snow report
@johnE, I have low light goggles as my 'spare' set.
snow conditions
Can't see the benefit of a rucksack either. Certainly not for a first timer.
ski holidays
Bit of overkill here at times, chaps? Suggesting a brand new skier should be carrying spare goggles and socks and iron rations around in a backpack...... or heading into the other valleys in the afternoons.
snow report
@Ciorsdah, Don't overthink it.......... get right behind the ski instructor so you pick up the best tuition, enjoy the experience and the views.
snow conditions
This thread is doing an excellent job of getting me more excited for me ski trip at the end of the month.... even though I know what to expect Laughing
ski holidays
Such a great thread ! Lifts the spirits to see snowheads helping out a newcomer.

My two little tips (as most have been covered):

Pack a lightweight beanie to wear if you take your helmet off - if you find you sit outside for lunch - even if it feels warm at first - you can get cold really quick.

In the same situation, sat outside for a drink or food - put your gloves inside your ski jacket near your armpits (maybe even under your midlayer) ... they will then be lovely and warm when you put them on.
If you put them on the table or inside your helmet - they get freezing cold so getting going again can be uncomfortable.
ski holidays
valais2 wrote:
Ah forgot about the ‘straying down the mountain from Val T’ issue. Found a family of four lost on the piste to Meribel, in total whiteout (cloud visibly passing between hand at arm’s length and face) - after suppressing their panic we got them back up the hill and on the way home. At one point the seven year old (who was skiing a great deal better than his parents) said ‘Are we going to die?’ So I assume there had been quite a lot of fretting before we arrived and roped them in. We could be quite reassuring on the ‘not dying’ thing.

That reminds me of a time when ValaisGrom was about five, and we were amongst only a handful of people going up to Plaine Morte in cloud, very low temps and high wind. He and I chatted all the way to the top, and as we exited, a lone skier started berating me for bringing such a tiny one into such a dangerous setting. The Grom looked a bit perplexed and interrupted to say ‘Can we go now, I am getting a bit cold standing around’ and clicked confidently into his skis after kicking off the snow under his boots. This somewhere confused the other guy, and off we went.

@valais2, Reminds me of a time when we had a very late lunch in Sass Fee (friends of mine ran the restaurant, we started late, carried on chatting). Lifts had stopped and finally piste patrol came in and politely suggested it was time to ski down. Expressed real concern about our smallest cost centre - "you have to ski a black, it is very steep". The guides with us all told them not to worry, but worry they did! Followed us to the black bit and after just a few turns shouted well done to the little feller and skied off. I think it was our British accents that caused them concern tbh!
ski holidays
Zikomo - excellent story - love the term ‘cost centre’ - I have stopped worrying about the demarcation between the Grom’s and my kit - at 16 he has the same shoe size and body shape as me now and he considers any bike/ski/jacket/glove/goggle to be ‘fair game’. I am not sure it’s driving costs down…..
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
johnE wrote:
Quote:

I disagree. You can buy food at various restaurants and snack bars, put the map in your pocket and you do not need spare goggles so why carry them. If you crash hard enough to break your goggles I think you'll have other things to worry about. Without the rucksack you don't have to constantly worrying about taking it off and putting it on again at chairlifts.
Quote:

That's a new one on me. Why? Perhaps changing underpants might be suggested as well. I am of the belief that you should put your boots on first think in the morning and take them off again when you have finished skiing.

Backpack for packed lunch. If you are eating out then I agree, leave the bag.

But changing clothes after a sweaty morning really gives me a boost
snow conditions
Don't ski with a hangover.
Enjoy it.
If you feel you have had enough for the day call it quits - don't keep going.
having done the lessons you have will stand you in great stead - hope you have a great time.
ski holidays
Socks at lunchtime!!!!?!

Blimey. We wear ours until they get that high distinctive ‘crunching’ feel…

For sure I open my buckles for a coffee/lunch etc but I think the restaurant would evacuate if we took our boots off to change our socks.
ski holidays
valais2 wrote:
Socks at lunchtime!!!!?!

Blimey. We wear ours until they get that highly distinctive ‘crunching’ feel…

For sure I open my buckles for a coffee/lunch etc but I think the restaurant would evacuate if we took our boots off to change our socks.
latest report
@Ciorsdah, Bear in mind that skis move a bit quicker on real snow than dry slope. Nothing to worry about, you will adjust in no time.

You should pick up lots of good instruction in a small sized class, which will give you plenty of drills and advice to practise in the afternoons to hone your skills.

Friends also have a habit of over-estimating the ability of a beginner in the group, and saying "We'll go down here, you'll be fine". It'd be better to take them down a run you did in the morning in ski class, so you can all ski together on a run that is already familiar to you. That way they will see exactly what you are capable of before making suggestions that may be overly optimistic.
snow report
johnE wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

I'm one of those knobs that has magnetic goggle lenses, so my other lenses go in the case in my jacket. I'm guessing if the conditions are changeable and you don't have quick change lenses, you might need another pair?
ski holidays
Ciorsdah wrote:
I've got the full kit and caboodle when it comes to footbeds in the boots - so thanks for the tip re the locker room heat (although... reading reviews of the accomodation it appears that the boot driers are a little hit or miss when it comes to actual heat... Shocked Shocked ) I've got my hairdryer so not so concerned.

Great tip about taking an extension lead - already found one and laid it out!

Don't hair dry them!

I have it from the highest authority (@CEM) that the boot rooms that are just kept warm as a way of drying your boots (the type where you put your boots on a pull out shelf) are fine. The thing that f**ks your fitted boots up is the type where you put your boot on a contraption (or just a pole on the wall) where warm air is blown directly into your boot. Avoid those at all costs.

If you need to take them back to your apartment, pull out the liners when you get back and just leave them somewhere lukewarm (not hot!).
snow report
valais2 wrote:
Zikomo - excellent story - love the term ‘cost centre’ - I have stopped worrying about the demarcation between the Grom’s and my kit - at 16 he has the same shoe size and body shape as me now and he considers any bike/ski/jacket/glove/goggle to be ‘fair game’. I am not sure it’s driving costs down…..

There are benefits! My eldest two have become very good spey casters and have been helping themselves to my gear. So I "had" to buy a couple of new fishing rods, of course these "needed" new reels and there were some essential new lines etc. You know how it goes.

Unluckily they both have bigger feet than me so not had that excuse for ski kit so far, but I am hoping it becomes an issue with the youngest two!
snow conditions
Ah ‘under the radar acquisition’ - like it. My partner has stopped asking whether something being unpacked is for me or the Grom - there’s just a bit of tutting and a raised eyebrow…

Best recent one was:

‘What’s that new bike you are building?’
‘A jump bike for the Grom’
‘What’s it for?’
‘Jumping’
‘Anything else?’
‘Nope’
‘Sigh’
snow report
Old Fartbag wrote:
Welcome to snowHead

1. Get fit before going (eg. Lunges and squats for legs and work on flexibility)
2. Don't skimp on Gloves/Mittens plus Glove liners and get Goggles that can cope with a variety of light
3. Be prepared to go back to the Ski Hire shop if have any problems with kit eg. uncomfortable boots
4. Be aware of the mid week blues, where things can fall apart (mixture of fatigue and an overload of learning)
5. Don't do that "one last run" at the end of the day if feeling tired
6. Remember it's a holiday and not a ski Boot Camp.
7. Keep hydrated

8. find the best Apres Ski bar, celebrate a great days skiing
9. go the the bar next door too
10. then go and find a bar with live music on
Laughing
latest report
dode wrote:
@Ciorsdah, Bear in mind that skis move a bit quicker on real snow than dry slope.

+100

I learnt on a dry slope and nearly cr@pped myself on a near flat bit of piste first time out Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
valais2 wrote:
Socks at lunchtime!!!!?!

Blimey. We wear ours until they get that high distinctive ‘crunching’ feel…

And a full shower some days!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy