Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

On line check-in (Crystal)

Poster: A snowHead
Crystal are telling me that I can now 'Check-in' on line : If I check-in on line, am I committed to using their 'self-service' machines ??

The reason I ask is because, the last time I was at Birmingham airport, the queue for the 'self-service' was longer than the one for the 'staffed' desks...! (and I am not keen on using 'self-service')
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You mean self service bag drop? They’ll probably try and send you to the machines as they normally do if you say you’ve check in online. Just tell the people at the start of the queue you haven’t, and I’m sure when you get to the front of the line they’ll sort you out.
So many people seem to struggle with those machines that they all seem to employ roughly one person per machine to help travellers. rolling eyes
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@albob, We went out to Verona just over a week ago from BHX. The check-in area was a zoo, 3 TUI flights due out within half an hour of each other. We arrived pretty early for our flight, just after 04:30, and the queue was already vast. At one point we were doing 1 step forwards and 2 back as people for the first flight, Salzburg, we being called forward. When we got to the head of the queue there only seemed to be one option and that was to use the self check-in machines, quite of few of which were either not working or had people being assisted by TUI groundstaff. My check-in was not smooth as the machine did not want issue me with baggage tags for my ski bag. By the time we had got through security etc our flight was on last call! This system is clearly very inefficient and needs reviewing!

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 2-02-22 9:51; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks both : CP, I am flying to Verona also ; I do know from past experience about the 3 flights at more or less the same time!! (I am aiming for a 3.30 arrival this year..)
Think I shall give 'self-check-in' a miss for now...
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@albob, similar experience as @CP but at Manchester. With Innsbruck and Verona flights at the same time, not sure if there was any other as well, but there was a huge queue to check in.

Self check in bag drop, and manned check in desks was all the same queue.

What I did discover, and this was genuinely accidental, and i'm not suggesting anyone does it....

We had 2 bags + 1 ski bag booked. 1 bag and skis under my name, and just 1 bag under the girlfriends name.

We accidently checked in 2 hold bags under my name, and then couldn't put through the skis on the girlfriends name. We were able to still print off a ski bag label on my name, and as we'd already weighed in 2 bags, didn't need to weigh the skis, it just printed showing 0kg.

This in our case was handy as we were 3kg over in total, so didn't get charged anything.

Like I say, not advocating it, just explaining what happened.....
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@swskier, how was the outgoing at Manchester? I hate Manchester airport as every time I go it seems inefficiently run. On a package due to covid and therefore not using Liverpool which is a relative delight. We have an 8.10 flight. 6 am early enough in your recent experience? I’d be grateful for your thoughts
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
carnage at Manchester last week, flying to Barcelona. arrived at drop and go parking 3.5 hours before flight, just over 3 hour before at check in, hour and half to get through and the queue was still backed up further than when we joined it! check in desks 1-8 but only 3 open, so understaffed its a joke. still managed to find 4 staff to put two "wet floor" signs up and have an in depth discussion when someone spilled a glass of water!!
flight was over an hour late to take off, presumably due to delays at check in and then missing our slot.
no Covid practices in place either, big groups not masked and no-one even slightly bothered.
its got to be the worst major airport in the uk!!!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
andy'n'netty wrote:
carnage at Manchester last week, flying to Barcelona. arrived at drop and go parking 3.5 hours before flight, just over 3 hour before at check in, hour and half to get through and the queue was still backed up further than when we joined it! check in desks 1-8 but only 3 open, so understaffed its a joke. still managed to find 4 staff to put two "wet floor" signs up and have an in depth discussion when someone spilled a glass of water!!
flight was over an hour late to take off, presumably due to delays at check in and then missing our slot.
no Covid practices in place either, big groups not masked and no-one even slightly bothered.
its got to be the worst major airport in the uk!!!

Was that early morning? We’re due to fly at 2pm next Saturday and I’m hoping that might be slightly better. It was as you described in October but that was half term. Also they accidentally gave me two sets of fast Lane stickers last time I flew (for free!) so I’m hoping to slap those on my boarding passes this time. Not that the fast Lane queue ever looks any quicker
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@twoodwar, I’d say no, give at least 3 hours, I went out of MAN on the 16th for the Turin 07.25 flight etd, arrived at 4.25 ish, snaky que was half full, by the time I’d checked at 05.00 in the que was out the doors to the skywalk. I thin’ there were three flights before mine, one being the BCN which was a 787, so lots of people. Once checked in it was OK, but I wouldn’t have wanted to left it later and added stress.
I’d also add, take paper copies of all forms needed, it’s quicker, and they asked me for evidence of jabs 1+2 which i only had on the NHS app and had to open it up, adding to the delays
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:
carnage at Manchester last week, flying to Barcelona
No bother at all for easyjet MAN-Innsbruck flight at 08.35 on Sunday 9th Jan.

No queue to label our ski bag; 5 min queue to drop it at the bulky luggage belt; and (gasp) the shortest queue we've ever seen for security. Walked straight through.

We were there 2hrs before the flight and had a very relaxing time - leisurely breakfast and coffee etc.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Just had notice from Crystal that our flight to Chambrey is now going in to Lyon. Sounds like they’re trying to address the issues but it makes for a 4h plus transfer…..
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
blacksheep wrote:
Just had notice from Crystal that our flight to Chambrey is now going in to Lyon. Sounds like they’re trying to address the issues but it makes for a 4h plus transfer…..

Where are you traveling to? (Also wondering what issues this would address?)
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Tignes. Seems they're trying to spread the load between airports. Saturday is going to be a long day!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
blacksheep wrote:
Tignes. Seems they're trying to spread the load between airports. Saturday is going to be a long day!

I wouldn't have thought Lyon would be that much longer in the transfer, and it has the significant benefit is being a pretty sizeable airport with decent facilities.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
sugarmoma666 wrote:
blacksheep wrote:

I wouldn't have thought Lyon would be that much longer in the transfer, and it has the significant benefit is being a pretty sizeable airport with decent facilities.

I'm seeing it as a positive based on the feedback from Chambrey last week. No guarantees but as you say it's a larger airport.
latest report
@sugarmoma666, It is 50ish minutes extra ; I know, as I was diverted there from Chambery back in '20 ; better airport tho'
ski holidays
@twoodwar, we arrived at drop and go at 3.30 for a 6.00 flight. Getting to the terminal was fine, but 45-60 mins to get through check in, then walk to the opposite end of terminal for ski loading.

Probably 30 mins to get through security, time for a wee and pick up a drink from WHSmiths, then as we got to the gate they began loading.

Flight left 45 mins late due to lack of staff loading bags.

Coming back, much better, 45 mins from landing to getting on a bus back to the car.
ski holidays
@swskier, many thanks. I’ll give it 3 hours! @geoffknight, and thanks again.
latest report
Went from Manchester this morning, everything went pretty smoothly. Flew to Lyon, through passport control and bags sorted in 30 min. All in all pretty good
ski holidays
Used Crystal (i think??) last week for Selva. Been going out there for years independently, but followed advice this year and used a TO. Other than a couple of bods standing around at the airport, the Crystal presence was nil. Very average hotel, long transfer, massively long waits for transfer coach etc etc. Why would you??
snow report
@Mollerski, only Covid I feel
latest report
@Mollerski, ordinarily we book things independently, however, when France banned British tourists, we needed to change our plans. We decided to use Crystal for security and simplicity.

We got a good deal, IMO, at £531 each including a ski bag, flights transfers and 3* hotel in Pozza di Fassa. I don't think we could have done it for the same price ourselves. Ok there was a bit more faff with waiting around on transfers etc, but overall, I can't complain, it's mostly not Crystal's fault.

The reason I like to DIY normally is more flexibility, but also to increase skiing time. In Jan 2020 before covid, we did a trip to Morzine, took 1 week annual leave, flew Friday night, returned on the following Sunday on a 9pm flight and managed to ski 9 days, which is the equivalent to 1.5 weeks on a normal package holiday.
ski holidays
swskier wrote:
We decided to use Crystal for security and simplicity.

Likewise, but didn't feel that we really experienced either. Luckily C19 didn't bite us, so maybe Crystal would've stepped up if that had been the case? Also, I just don't think that I'm a herd animal. I prefer to do my own thing and trust to my own survival skills. Razz
latest report
Have to say, I was stuck in Les2Alpes the evening France shut down and they were super. Good communication, lots of effort and a fairly smooth return home. And 100% refund without even asking.
ski holidays
@Mollerski, apart from flying us to/from Italy, and transferring us to/from the hotel, that was all the dealings we had with Crystal, beyond that, we sorted everything ourselves.

I like the planning aspect of the holiday, so don't feel the need a company to do it for us, it's just a bit easier during covid times to let Crystal worry about everything changing last minute.
ski holidays
@swskier, are you sure we aren’t actually each other’s secret twin?
latest report
@KNoceros, afraid I found my secret twin on a random YouTube video once, turns out they were a dutch Nazi hunter 60 years before I was born!? Shocked Laughing
snow conditions
Erk!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy