Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Split in highback - replace or ditch?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
So, I bought some sweet second hand Ride El Hefe bindings on eBay about 15 months ago and either I didn't check them particularly well when they arrived or they've developed a split having been stored in the cold. I think I know which is more likely Embarassed

I assume that I could replace the "carbon slimeback" (what Ride call these apparently), and I assume I should probably replace both, but what would you do?

Exactly that or just bin them and chalk it up to experience?
They appear to be in otherwise very good condition.

Going to try and post an image from Imgur but not particularly hopeful it will work: LINK
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If the rest of the binding is sound, then just replace the highback if you can find one that is... Probably best to contact Ride EU direct, they may have parts. Had to do that with Burton after a fw-lean adjuster broke weirdly on my Cartels, they sent me 2 for free, and apologised for not being able to colour match.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You could also try the guys at Black Peak Trading - they're Ride distributors in the UK, they may have a handle on who may have spares in the UK.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks @Richard_Sideways

I'll have a look into both options this weekend.

I'm currently booked on a flight to Vancouver next Saturday with a view to spending a week in Whistler, so am tempted to take them with me anyway and see what my options are there.

COVID permitting
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@jebroni3_16, I’d sort before you go. I’ve wasted many a day traipsing around resorts and towns trying to find components...cursing ‘I could be skiing....’
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@jebroni3_16, I presume it was the rear high back? I had exactly the same split on my El Hefe's, I now religiously fold down the high back before every chairlift.

I replied mine on the inside with epoxy and glass fibre, have used them about 30 days since and they are still rigid.

If I remember correctly they will flex forwards but not back. If you get any response from Ride EU please let me know as I didn't.

They are great bindings.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Not sure, @BoardieK

I haven't worn them since I bought them and no idea whether the previous owner ride regular or goofy

Thanks for the epoxy / glass fibre suggestion. Not sure I'm brave enough to try this though Puzzled
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Unless you know what you're doing (experience here counts for alot) repair is probably not going to carry it through, then depends on your view of when that part fails.

Composites by natural design intent have little in reserve (excess material, not load rating) as that's what they're supposed to do in making them strong and light. Any parts significantly compromised and down some important elements already are not very simply available to provide immediate strength in repair. Resin/epoxy is just going to replace the "glue" that holds the pieces doing the work into their designed matrix. It would need to fully penetrate all of the voids and be squeezed back into it's original form firstly, but that wouldn't deal with one or more of the sheets being effectively butt joined (stuck end to end) and not now contributing to the strength package. Probably it would need additional layers in repair patches to bring back to original design capabilities.

Looks likely it's suffered over stress loading to cause that breakthrough of all the layers and bonding. Remotely possible that it's originally a layup issue in manufacturing but fairly simple section so unusual to get compromise there. Always possible that it's used above design rating or insufficiently specified in the first place. Others failing in the same place would start to sway the evidence here.

You're probably looking for another in all reality, unless you know a good repairing route.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for all that, @ski3

Supports what my gut instinct was: that replacement rather than repair would be the way forward for me.

Got too much going on this week before I hopefully go away, but think I'll probably take them with me and see whether I stumble across any replacements once I'm out there. I've already got another set that I was planning on using with my freestyle board.

Thanks all Smile
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ultimately, it's not a safety-critical component. If it feels more or less as stiff as the other one, I'd ride it until it breaks, and/or glue it as @BoardieK suggests.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy