Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Italian insurance rules

Poster: A snowHead
I see today in the Times, that you need insurance to ski, similar to car insurance with on piste checks £150 fines and removal of life pass. I think that its a great idea, and will hopefully curb idiots, However any idea's where to get such an insurance from? i'm guessing its not just standard winter sports add on to your normal travel insurance.

thanks x
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@HugoC, It is 3rd party liability insurance in case of an accident. You may be covered by an existing bank benefit EG my Natiowide insurance is £2M cover. However, you can get the Italian insurance at the ski pass office. I think it is about £30/week.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@HugoC, Both my old MPI wintersports travel insurance and my new LV wintersports travel insurance have £2 Million 3rd party liability insurance, so a standard feature on most travel insurance policies I would say, but obviously check your policy.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Our Insure & Go policy covers for £2M personal liability but only covers for skiing if wintersports cover is part of the policy. You'll need to read the small print and don't forget to check the exclusions bit.

As I understand it, these new rules are now helping to force locals (& others who don't have cover elsewhere) to take out insurance, where previously they might not have bothered.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
new rules are a bit wider than that. discussed here https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=157833 and I think there's another thread on it. Don;t assume your existing insurance will cover you in all cases, some activities are excluded on some policies
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Discussed on the insurance thread. Should be covered on your winter sports as third party, but worth a phone call to check.

The consensus was that this is aimed at other EU visitors,many of who are more likely to drive, and won't need insurance for their luggage, therefore not having holiday insurance in the same way that Brits tend to have it.

The French have Carre Neige on their lift passes for the same reason.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@brianatab, carre neige for 3rd party insurance?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@holidayloverxx,not well worded. Intended it to mean they had carre neige because most don't have any insurance.

Not sure if it would include any third party insurance in the event you were injured by someone with it. Presumably, it would be up to your insurance company who tried to reclaim any costs?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I have a annual multi trip comprehensive, with Winter Sports cover, from Staysure. I have just spoken to them and there is no third party cover on the policy and they can't offer it as an upgrade. I have already booked our ski passes through Crystal, I hope we can just add the insurance cover at the lift pass office in Campitello next Saturday.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I have an LV multi-trip policy which I must find & read carefully now Shocked
However, the LV website says:

Our travel insurance winter sports cover optional extra covers you for:

Emergency medical expenses*
Personal accident
Personal liability on a range of winter sports activities

I would assume “personal liability” is AKA 3rd Party - but need to check for peace of mind
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Red Leon, I believe 'personal liability' is just that i.e. injury/damage caused by you to a 3rd party
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
brianatab wrote:
... The consensus was that this is aimed at other EU visitors, many of who are more likely to drive, and won't need insurance for their luggage, therefore not having holiday insurance in the same way that Brits tend to have it....
Weird, are they saying then that Brits don't drive to the alps (!), or that they carry more luggage than Irish people (!) who do the same .... no doubt that's what internet people said, but it sounds rather unlikely.

Anyone got a reference to the actual Italian law as published?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@CP, I think I have the same cover (Staysure annual multi trip comprehensive - with winter sports). I do have £2 million personal liability cover with it.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
morganski wrote:
@CP, I think I have the same cover (Staysure annual multi trip comprehensive - with winter sports). I do have £2 million personal liability cover with it.

Yes I have checked the full policy now and I have the same - panic over! Now I can concentrate on all the other red tape faff required to get my skis wet for the first time in 3 years snowHead
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
philwig wrote:
brianatab wrote:
... The consensus was that this is aimed at other EU visitors, many of who are more likely to drive, and won't need insurance for their luggage, therefore not having holiday insurance in the same way that Brits tend to have it....
Weird, are they saying then that Brits don't drive to the alps (!), or that they carry more luggage than Irish people (!) who do the same .... no doubt that's what internet people said, but it sounds rather unlikely.

Anyone got a reference to the actual Italian law as published?

I doubt the law states the target audience.
The new requirement is, de facto aimed at anyone who doesn’t already have liability cover, regardless of where they are from or their method of travel. The biggest group affected is likely to be locals (ie Italians) who are less likely to see the need for insurance for their trip as, eg. medical costs / repatriation are not such a big issue for them. A bit like you or me going walking in the Peak District, I suppose
latest report
This might be useful

Allianz wording on my Lloyds Gold Policy

Section 7 – Personal liability
What is covered
We will pay up to £2 million (inclusive of legal costs and
expenses) against any amount you become legally liable
to pay as compensation for any claim or series of claims
arising from any one event or source of original cause in
respect of accidental:
1. Bodily injury to or death of any person who is not in
your employment or who is not a person with whom
you are travelling or have arranged to travel with, a
relative or a member of your household.
2. Loss of or damage to property that does not belong to
and is neither in the charge of, nor under the control of
you, a relative, any person with whom you are travelling
or have arranged to travel with, anyone in your
employment or any member of your household other
than any temporary holiday accommodation occupied
(but not owned) by you

Then looking at the exclusions:

We will not pay for claims arising directly or indirectly from:

7. Your engagement in any sport (including winter sports)
or activity that is not in the list of covered Sports and
leisure activities on pages 31-33, unless you have
received our prior agreement in writing.

Then looking at the list of sports covered:

Winter sports
If you are taking part in any sport or activity not listed in this section, please contact us by visiting the Allianz Assistance Hub, emailing travelinfoUK@allianz.com or calling
UK +44 (0)345 850 5056 to see if you can be covered.
You are covered for taking part in the following winter sports activities for up to a maximum of 31 days in any calendar year:
• Alpine skiing
• Airboarding
• Big foot skiing
• Blade skating
• Cross country skiing***
• Dry slope skiing
• Glacier skiing/walking
• Husky dog sledding (organised, non-competitive and with
experienced local driver)
• Ice cricket (wearing appropriate batting pads/gloves/spiked
shoes)
• Ice fishing
• Ice go karting (within organisers guidelines)*
• Ice skating
• Ice windsurfing*
• Kick sledging
• Mono skiing
• Nordic skiing
• Ski biking*
• Ski blading
• Ski boarding
• Skidooing*
• Skiing (on-piste** and off piste***)
• Ski racing arranged by ski schools for their pupils
• Ski run walking
• Ski touring
• Sledging/Tobogganing
• Sleigh riding as a passenger (pulled by horse or reindeer)***
• Snow biking*
• Snow blading
• Snowboarding (on-piste** and off piste***)
• Snow bobbing
• Snowcat driving*
• Snow mobiling*
• Snow scooting*
• Snow shoe walking
• Snow tubing
• Tandem skiing
• Telemarking
• Winter walking (using crampons and ice picks only)

Examples of winter sports activities that are not covered:
• Bobsleighing
• Heli skiing
• Ice hockey
• Luging
• Use of skeletons
• Ski acrobatics
• Ski jumping

* No cover under Section 7 – Personal liability when taking part in these activities.
** A piste is a recognised and marked ski run within the resort boundaries.
*** Off-piste must be within the resort boundaries and following local ski patrol guidelines.

So, looking at the activities with an asterix, not covered for personal liability if you are:

Ice go karting*
Ice windsurfing*
Ski biking*
Skidooing*
Snow biking*
Snowcat driving*
Snow mobiling*
Snow scooting

I've said before on this subject that some activities are excluded from personal liability cover. Check your own individual policy.
snow conditions
@holidayloverxx,

Thank Heavens for ‘cut & paste’ Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Just buy insurance at ticket office as it is a new rule it is widely available at 3€ a day just make sure you check the option if you are buying online as they won’t sell after purchase on more than single days
snow report
Super Steezy wrote:
Just buy insurance at ticket office as it is a new rule it is widely available at 3€ a day just make sure you check the option if you are buying online as they won’t sell after purchase on more than single days

No need, though, if you're already covered by your insurance (which most will be).
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy