Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Après ski being blamed for Omicron spread in Austria

Poster: A snowHead
From Austrian press
Quote:
Eh oh! ️ Apres-ski accounts for up to 80 percent of leisure cases
Apres ski, which has been infamous since Ischgl anyway , also seems to be a key driver of the corona infection process in the Omikron wave. As the representative of AGES announced at the most recent meeting of the traffic light commission, 70 to 80 percent of the cases in the leisure sector can be attributed to apres ski . Another problem is that tourists leaving Salzburg and Tyrol are spreading the virus across the country.

▶️ From the internal minutes of the meeting - available to the APA - it can be seen that, according to AGES, "a striking number of clusters and here large-scale clusters" were identified in the apres-ski area. This also includes persons residing in Vienna who were identified as cases in the federal state of residence following skiing activities in other federal states.

▶️ According to the cluster analysis , the infections did not happen during transport (i.e. the gondola) or sports (skiing), but directly in the apres ski setting. It is restricted that the traceability of infections z. B. is very limited in the course of gondola rides.

▶️ The fact that there is a problem in this area is not denied even in federal states with ski tourism. The representative from Vorarlberg noted that the primary problem was in the area of ​​mountain huts and apres ski. It is hoped that the number of cases will also decrease accordingly due to the sharp drop in tourism in January. According to information from AGES, numerous clusters throughout Austria originate in Salzburg and/or Tyrol. The local authorities don't want to be to blame. The traffic light representative from Tyrol replicated that tourists sometimes left immediately after a positive test in order to avoid quarantine on site.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We’ll that’s obvious surely? It’s hardly a groundbreaking conclusion is it…. Laughing

It’s the reason loads of people are staying away currently, me included, the webcams I see and groans from those there don’t fill me with any desire to go right now.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Chris_n, I'm not sure it's necessarily so obvious, although, Austrian Apres-Ski Twisted Evil - a difficult position for the government of a very tourism heavy economy to be in - "do we do performative policies or not?". When are the compulsory s̶t̶e̶r̶i̶l̶i̶s̶a̶t̶i̶o̶n̶s̶ vaccinations* in force?

* Sorry, wrong century Twisted Evil
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@under a new name, Compulsory vaccination due 1st Feb but a few seem to be getting cold feet. Regulations were supposed to be finalised yesterday for publication Monday but that hasn't happened yet.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Chris_n, maybe if they convinced the FPÖ that they were in fact compulsory sterilisations they'd discover more enthusiasm?

I'll get Godwin's and my coats.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I would jump at the chance to get covid in a proper apres ski setting Eh oh! . Would be well worth it!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I don’t see it really.

You can blame apres ski if you want, but what about all those countries where omicron is rife, where there is no apres ski? It seems a rise in infections is going to happen pretty much anywhere eventually, apres ski or no apres ski.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Given that the Omicron variant is very much more transmissible than previous variants, It isn't really a surprise. Remember vaccinations & Boosters are less effective at preventing infection than with Omicron variant than previous forms of Covid. However, they do significantly reduce the impact and severity of the infection. Really rates should ramp throughout Europe so no real surprise. Much as I love Austria I think it's a little Naive to believe that they, France, Italy etc will be able to have an infection profile different to anywhere else in the world.

broad Covid/Omicron view.

http://youtube.com/v/TrVGymR-jFU

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-59985266

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sat 15-01-22 11:52; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Although I’m partial to a little drinky poo at the end of a busy day on the mountain I’ll not burst into tears if it’s not available, more time in the sauna and hot tub back at the hotel.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Bob, I think the point is more that cluster analysis is pinpointing apres ski activites as the acute drivers of infection. Super-spreader like events.

On the whole, as much lamented on here, France apres-ski is much less boisterous.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
In Mayrhofen over the last two days*. Didn't see any apres anywhere. May be due to the fact this is lowest season & the Russians are not able to get here cos Sputink is not accredited.

*First time since 1987! Pleasantly surprised by all the new infrastructure and area much bigger than I recalled. Will explore again
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yep any restaurant, hut, bar, chalet, hotel is always going to be a highly transmissible environment, they are enlosed spaces.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
PCcorner wrote:
more time in the sauna and hot tub back at the hotel.

Probably the most likely place to catch it. The virus will survive for days in the warm moist, unventilated environment of a sauna. The constant circulation of the hot air will keep it airborne for much longer than in a bar.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Bob, but ones where they're packed full of drunken people shouting mass karaoke at screens and each other are always going to be worse than folks at tables having a quiet drink/meal and a chat.

I suspect that at a gross level Austria will have another, worse, spike as it's detailed vaccination coverage is so patchy (apparently) whereas France is now I think over 90% fully vacced (not necessarily boosted) - and it will be identifiable that key regional drivers were apres ski happenings.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
brianatab wrote:
PCcorner wrote:

Probably the most likely place to catch it. The virus will survive for days in the warm moist, unventilated environment of a sauna. The constant circulation of the hot air will keep it airborne for much longer than in a bar.
Sauna in Austria generally at 90°C and definitely not moist! Not sure how long virus remains viable at those temps. Suspect not long.
snow report
under a new name wrote:
@Bob, but ones where they're packed full of drunken people shouting mass karaoke at screens and each other are always going to be worse than folks at tables having a quiet drink/meal and a chat.

I suspect that at a gross level Austria will have another, worse, spike as it's detailed vaccination coverage is so patchy (apparently) whereas France is now I think over 90% fully vacced (not necessarily boosted) - and it will be identifiable that key regional drivers were apres ski happenings.

On the positive side, almost half of Flachau's permanent residents have now had it at least once, so you can't blame the locals. It's all you Tourists bringing it with you and sharing the Love. Very Happy
snow report
Quote:

drunken people shouting mass karaoke at screens and each other

Sounds lush.
ski holidays
brianatab wrote:
PCcorner wrote:

I’d have thought there are far worse things to catch than Covid in a hotel hot tub!
ski holidays
RedandWhiteFlachau wrote:
On the positive side, almost half of Flachau's permanent residents have now had it at least once, so you can't blame the locals. It's all you Tourists bringing it with you and sharing the Love. Very Happy

Pretty much the same here in Andorra. The R number is now back down close to 1. The current infection rate is 7,471 per 100,000. With a population of only 80,000 it doesn’t take long for everyone to have caught it! Up until this week there was only one child and me in my class that hadn’t tested positive in the last 2 months… now it’s only one child! The picture is very similar for the rest of the school.
ski holidays
Still quite concerning for those of us who are older - you can still be ill enough and that could possibly present symptoms before the end of the week. I'm wondering which the best alpine country would be for March, say. Currently I agree with Markymark29
latest report
The question of how much to shield oneself from the possibility of infection isn't just about ski holidays, is it? It's about being out and about in the UK too, seeing friends and family, attending events. The risk of catching Covid in France or Austria is really not much different from the risk of catching it at home. It's one's choice of activities that matter, not the choice of countries. Nor the choice of companions. Your nearest and dearest, or workmates, or classmates, are just as likely to be infected as the man on the Clapham omnibus.

But yes - anyone who has ever ventured into a hotel sauna/hot tub clearly regards themselves as bomb-proof, as @zzz implies.
snow report
@pam w, @zzz, I haven't been in a hot tub since I heard what my mother in law's cleaners had to do to it after every rental Shocked Shocked
snow report
@under a new name, my OH really dislikes that I call hot tubs, “Mucky sex ponds.” I think I stole it from a comedy programme.

Unless they’re part of a very public pool complex, I won’t use them either!
latest report
@pam w, yes I take your point but at least at home you're in a familiar environment and can isolate/ recover more easily, if needed. But, it could be that some countries/ resorts are worse hot-spots than others surely?
ski holidays
@pam w, We are in Andorra at present, and minimise risk by only using chairs or draglifts, stay outdoors apart from at the small hotel. However, I firmly believe pretty much everyone is going to get it. (We believe we have had it twice each so far, but not Omicron, first time was obvious but before testing was available). Back home all our children, partners, and grandchildren (without exception) have had it within the last month, all vaccinated as much as allowed.
latest report
What apres ski? It’s probably more that lots of people are coming on holiday and relaxing. An “apres ski” bar in Austria isn’t really any different to a bar anywhere else at the moment, and there’s hardly anyone about.
ski holidays
@Scarlet, just what it says in the TT wink the Apres bars here are closed completely leaving only one bar (apart from hotels) open so even though it is quiet the bar is still quite busy but as you say no different to anywhere else. To be fair though we did have a few cases in the ski school that were probably linked to that bar as it will have been the only indoor place where all of the infected were together.
snow report
under a new name wrote:
@Bob, I think the point is more that cluster analysis is pinpointing apres ski activites as the acute drivers of infection. Super-spreader like events.

Not quite - the point they are making is that skiing itself (including lifts) is not causing problems, it's what people do afterwards (not sure where they are finding apres atm though!) that causes the spread.

Actually quite good news, as it demonstrates that keeping ski lifts running during the last lockdowns was a good decision wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@clarky999, but that was exactly my point! Apres ski activities Happy
snow report
People carousing in indoors bars and restaurants are going to be spreading and catching Covid whatever they've been doing beforehand - whether it be skiing, or sitting at home with their feet up.
ski holidays
Latest press reports suggest that someone may have got their figures mixed up. Rather than the 80 percent of cases reported this morning the true figure is 16 percent and that also includes apres any sport, the highest figure is in the well known skiing hotspot of Vienna Toofy Grin
latest report
@Chris_n, ah you gotta a love journalists
snow report
Ski/apres ski, all the same, LynnX and I both pinged this week on separate occasions for the first time since COVID began, coincidentally the first full month the lifts have been open here for almost 2 years, go figure .. ...
latest report
@under a new name, to be fair it was someone from the agency for health and food safety that got it wrong rather than the press.
snow report
Its clever how they know the exact spot the virus was picked up now, bus, lift, hotel etc.....very very clever
snow report
People suggesting there is no Apres at the moment are not quite right. I just got back today from a resort, where practically every bar was open and some were really busy, with loud music and were definitely stretching the definition of what was right or wrong. One was breaking every rule going in fact. It would seem you only have to sell a pizza or 2 on the side to bypass pure Apres bar status, then crack on as before.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy