Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Morillon - 31st March 2007?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
According to the collective wisdom of Snowheads, how risky in terms of conditions is Morillon for what is effectively the first week of April?

I am planning a trip with some slightly reluctant beginners for next year. Due to the element of reluctance cost is a major factor so we're looking at small resorts first week of the easter holidays as opposed to the normal February half term jaunt - unfortunately we are tied to school holidays.

I know Morillon reasonably well in February and it ticks the long list of boxes for ease of access, good value self catering accommodation, proximity to Geneva - if our most reluctant would rather go shopping or sight seeing instead! good beginner territory etc but I'm a bit concerned that while in February it's spot on for our needs, it's going to be too low at the beginning of April
as the really easy skiing IMO centres around the runs between 1100 and 1800 The obvious alternative of Flaine however fills me with dread!

Can anyone either confirm or quell my anxiety?

If Morillon is a bad idea, anyone think Les Crosets or Le Grand Bornand would be better options?

Or where would you take them? Key criteria being: ridiculously inexpensive, easy access- definitely from airports, ideally from UK as I will drive, good self catering accommodation, day out destinations nearby, good beginner areas (2 adults, 2 kids) Apres ski completely irrelevant.

Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Annie, whilst I agree Flaine is not what you'd call pretty, it is certainly very convenient for those beginners, and it also meets the rest of your criteria-cheap etc. We had our first two skiing holidays in Flaine for those reasons. Now we go to Serre Chevalier, but Flaine served it's purpose.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I know you are right Helen. I just soooo don't want to go there! - but it is in my 'back up' mix if my search for a nice small village resort/handful of chalets on a hill near a lift meeting all the myriad critera is the stuff of dreams.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Annie, My brother has an apartment in Morillon, and they had fabulous conditions there all winter and including easter this year. Of course it's all pot luck according to the snow next winter, but he was more than happy. Had you thought of La Toussuire? It's quite high, small and shouldn't be too expensive. I've never been there, but I know the couple that run the ESI ..
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Annie, I keep a careful eye on Morillon as I am buying an apartment there and I think it is a good bet for your requirements. It was holding snow until late April this year. Although it is 500m lower than Flaine, the slopes are north-facing and many have good treee cover - including the fantastic blue/green run that sweeps out to the west of the resport. That really is a brilliant run - I count myself as an off-piste fanatic and a bit of an ok skier but it's one of the most beautiful tree-lined greens (green/blue) I've come across anywhere.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Annie, we were there at easter and the conditions were great - loads of snow (ski to the apartment) & v.sunny. really good for kids too - great runs - & this sounds a bit weird, but everyone was so kind to my kids too - the lift operators helped them onto lifts and were just generally kind. a really nice place
StanBowles, oh that green run!!!! how gorgeous. I am still dreaming of it!!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The Grand Massif has had great conditions in April recently. Morillon ans Samoens I know were great Easter week this year. Even if conditions are poor, there are many places within an easy drive.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
StanBowles, You are right about "Marvel" it's a lovely green (steep green!) and even for the more advanced, who can get amongst the trees for some fun.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for your thoughts so far. Couldn't agree more than in general terms Morillon is a lovely resort and particularly notable for 'Marvel' (though I also have a fondness for the blue run into the village L'aberieu? - but harbour no illusions that this is going to be skiable in April...and Bergins...and Stade etc etc) I also know that this year conditions were pretty impressive but can that be the position relative of course to other resorts in an average year? Take your point stevo_the_saddler, I would certainly be prepared to drive around if snow is poor but think absolute beginners need a little more stability than that.Oh S*** How much do I hate making decisions on behalf of others - esp those not able to contribute much to the decision process?!!

Thanks for Le Toussuire easiski, I hadn't thought of it and it also looks potentially promising.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Annie, Toussuire and the other stations of Les Sybelles are well worth checking out. They are small, very French, with nice skiing. When we were there prices were well below what you'd pay in a more well known resort. They are very easy to access via Chambery, with is a nice place for your "reluctant" to explore if they don't want to ski. Only downside is that each individual station is very small and when snow is poor (likely at Easter?) as the links close, but if you'll have a car it's pretty easy to hop between stations that way and your beginners shouldn't mind the limited area.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Annie, Annie, we met a couple in morillon this year who owned an apartment, they were very nice people & had obviously spent a lot of time making their apartment very comfy for rentals. I have just found the site http://www.chaletfinder.co.uk/viewproperty.htm?pid=28676 - really hope this link works! I am v.bad at links - ask snowbunny rolling eyes We had a very basic apartment this year and would be careful not to make that mistake again. The MGM apartments are always good too. good luck.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Annie,
I am part of a group that owns an 8 person chalet (plus 2 person sofa bed) in Les Carroz, just over the hill from Morrillon. I know that previous years should not really be used as a guide for future years, but the Grand Massif does regularly receive tremendous amounts of snow and skiing around Morrillon (1100m) and Les Carroz (1200m) is rarely at risk until mid/late April.

If I can help, please take a look at www.flameski.com - the self catered price for 31st March is £1,240 for the chalet less a 10% snowheads discount.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy