Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Keeping your stuff secure at UCPA

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi, I hate to come across as a bit paranoid but I was wondering about how people keep their stuff secure in the shared dorm rooms at places like UCPA? Stuff like passports and an ipad or laptop but also I have splashed out on expensive (£100) ski gloves as I have Reynauds and also heated socks, stuff like that. I can't find anything about lockable cupboards or anything on the website. Any tips and advice please?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Some centres definitely have lockable cupboards/wardrobes, but I think you need to take your own padlocks.

IIRC you're going to Flaine? I've only stayed in a twin room there, but I don't remember the wardrobes being lockable.

Action Outdoors have a webchat feature on their website. They might take a little while to respond, but they've always been good at answering any queries I have.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've never heard of any issues with shared rooms, but I / others may have been lucky. Also I was usually sharing with at least one of my "mates" so chances were reduced.

All the wardrobes I remember having locking catches, but you'll need your own padlock, and it might need to have a long clasp with a narrow diameter, I think some I took didn't quite fit.

Otherwise I suppose just make sure it doesn't "look" like iPad / laptop etc, or hide your valuables somewhere (I usually use my dirty laundry bag, as very few will dare venture near there...), maybe slip bits under the mattress? I'd also say keep them in your lockable luggage, but that would potentially just highlight to any potential thief where you're hiding things!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks to you both for the tips, and glad to hear it doesn't usually seem to be an issue.
Milzibkit, I was indeed going to Flaine but there were issues arranging a transfer so I've modified my booking and am going to La Plagne instead. I'll message Action Outdoors and ask.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The UCPA in Plagne Centre definitely had lockable wardrobes in the twin room I stayed in. The rooms were also much nicer (bigger, more modern, better soundproofing, bigger shower) than the ones in Flaine. I think that's a good switch! As @EarthWindandWater said, take your own padlock with a long and thin shackle. A chunky one may not fit.

I found there were fewer Brits in the La Plagne centre, but plenty of Scandis who spoke English. Of course, you may be able to get by fine in French - unfortunately I can't.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy