Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Half term 12-19th Feb frenzy or not?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

I am wondering what half term will be like this year given the current covid travel situation plus those with teenagers not wishing to travel.

Would usually be put off booking due to the stress and overcrowding in resorts however am thinking of squeezing another week in whilst the little'un is off.

Perhaps those involved in accommodation have some insight into occupancy levels?

Would usually never even consider France however have started to toy with the idea if not going to be as mad busy as usual.

Thanks in advance.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
On the Sainte Foy FB page there seems to be a few places coming up because of cancellations but they go quick , seems to be plenty who couldn’t go at New Year now going HT . I expect Sainte Foy to full to the rafters as usual
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Not all schools have the same dates for half term. My grand daughters are at school in Hampshire and their half term starts Monday 21st February (actually starts Friday 18th as that is an INSET day). I have no idea about the rest of the country.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
we cancelled our half term trip when the restrictions came back in December

have booked it again now things look more promising that we'll be able to go

our school half term is 21st week (so we arrive in France on 19th)
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Based on what I have seen regarding requests for chalets, ski instructors and nannies the 12-26th looks to be VERY BUSY.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Please tell me your Scottish based, I thought English half term was Sat 19th. & I throught I had missed that
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Finding a resort thats not popular with brits should help, last time we were over two years ago we had a free day in les carroz we had a 45 min queue for one lift, then found a tiny resort the next day only about 20 runs but the only brits there, wasnt too busy and noticable lack of uncontrolled skiers.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Jonny996 wrote:
Please tell me your Scottish based, I thought English half term was Sat 19th. & I throught I had missed that

My son is in school in Surrey and his half term is 12th-19th, we live in West Sussex and their HT is the 19th-26th. So it varies throughout England. We have been caught out as wanted to ski with my Sister in Law and family but their HT is the second week down in Devon. Sad
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
20 Feb - 6 March is Paris holidays - I wouldn't personally go to any French resort then if I could help it. If the dates were unchangeable I'd go to Italy.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yep. I agree with Pam, Skiing in France at HT is normally busy but when it clashes with one of the Paris weeks then it really is too busy to be enjoyable.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The experience from New Year here was that any cancellations were quickly filled by French Belgiums and Dutch ( who were in lockdown? ). Presumably the same will apply to the 'holidays'. Any apartments that have been put up for sale are quickly snapped up by the French, mainly Paris based who now appreciate the open country side. At least 3 'blocks' that were mainly English owned now find they are in the minority.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
12th-19th is less busy, but busy
19th-26th is rammed and the main UK half term

Obviously you have the French dates as well, from different regions. However I'm reliably informed that the first week is not so bad, compared to the second one.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We're going 19th-26th February when booking with Eurotunnel that week came up cheaper than the week before they're pricing was based on the previous week being main half term.

What I've found is first lift can take 15-20 mins to get to the front of the queue but other lifts higher up no issue at all and its never felt overcrowded apart from last run down end of day always more busy.

I'm struggling to think of anything else at the moment so desperate to go away and avoid another dose before we take 24 LTDs on the 18th February my wife runs a nursery and that's out us in the firing line before.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
A lot of London is 12-19 Feb from what I know - all three of our schools are.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I have always avoided HT but this year we are forced into it because we ditched the Christmas trip and my daughter wants to be somewhere else Easter weekend so it is her only opportunity.

I have read plenty of threads previously and I think two years had a thread about going HT and if I was nuts.

You seem to get different stories a little and that may be down to expectations more than anything. If people tell you to avoid it at all costs and it's carnage then clearly you will be delighted if you have a 10 minute queue in the morning and the piste isn't like the M25 on a bad day! On the other hand if you normally ski off peak and haven't really considered the effect of the HT rush then you could be quite taken aback.
snow report
Thank you all for your input so far, good to hear the Paris holidays are the following week at least that keeps some of the crowd at bay.

We recently returned from La Thuile which was very quiet therefore was thinking of hitting Italy once again however I am unsure how quickly the situation in Italy may deteriorate as I have noticed La Thuile have moved to orange and now limiting lift pass numbers.

I have been considering Austria however the thought of France may appeal given the recent relaxing of UK travel rules and hopefully no more rule changes until half term.
snow report
Here is the thread

I am going with this "@Layne, stick with what you know. You know the choke points and times from experience. They will be busier, but you can avoid the worst with your knowledge."
snow report
For those who drive, the Novotel in Reims Tinqueux is already full for the Friday night stopover. It wasn't full at Christmas, if that gives any indication.
ski holidays
Every half term we've been to in France (admittedly to the more renowned ones), it's been very busy - La Plagne was about the worst with hour long queues on occasion and blues coming back to the villages were M25esqe. Then we discovered Grandvalira Andorra where queues were minimal to non existent. As it's seen as a beginner's resort, the reds and blacks were almost deserted. Heard that the Pyrenees has great snow this season too.
ski holidays
I work at a dry ski slope, and we seem to be just as manic at the moment as any other year trying to fit in lessons for everyone who is going at half term and has left it till just before they go to try to get lessons. So I would not expect it to be any quieter than normal - it may even be busier, like opening the flood gates and releasing the pent up demand after 2 years of no skiing...
latest report
@karin, you'd expect more people to be dry sloping as they can't go to the mountains.

That said I still expect a normal HT in France.
snow conditions
Grandvalira is busy from Saturday to Shrove Tuesday. Everyone goes back to work/school on the Wednesday.
snow report
@Jonny996, we're in Scotland and off 5th-12th Feb.
ski holidays
Which do you guys think would be the best option for half term skiing then?

Italy
Austria
France

Puzzled
latest report
@scoman, general consensus over the years is anywhere but France.
ski holidays
scoman wrote:
Which do you guys think would be the best option for half term skiing then?

Italy
Austria
France

Puzzled

Italy as they do not have official school holidays in Feb - unless your week clashes with pancake day (1st March) as around that date always seems to be a busy week...
Also Italy tends not to be quite as popular with brits...

However - Dolomites end may well still be busy ... Germans and Dutch on holiday at Feb HT and they like to ski there.

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=154963

What about somewhere in Aosta valley ?
snow report
I'd second Aosta Valley. La Thuile is great and you can ski into La Rosiere which is relatively quiet for a French resort.
snow report
Thanks,

Recently returned from La Thuile, have Passo Tonale and Cervinia short listed. Cervinia does tick a lot of boxes.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy