Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Swiss resort recommendations please

Poster: A snowHead
We fly into Milan Malpensa and out of Turin for half term, might be able to change return leg if needs be. We have options on accommodation in Serre Chevalier and Cervinia but now wondering whether to stop fretting, suck up the cost and pay Switzerland prices instead. I'm a bit overwhelmed looking for resorts driveable from northern Italy though.

I was looking at Saas Fee or Sedrun sector of Andermatt Sedrun. We have novices so don't want anything too steep. Engelberg was not my idea of a good time (not that it's in the running this time but to give you an idea of appetite for challenge). We have a mix of skiers and snowboarders, and not desperate for massive terrain, we are content in smaller resorts. Best day out for me is cruisy blues and good ski school for smallest. Any suggestions gratefully received.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If you have novices then Sass Fee is a great option. The nursery slopes are extensive, snow sure, and completely separated from the main area. Amongst the best in the alps in my view. My kids all learned to ski there and I now occasionally teach there myself. Some may point out that progression to the main mountain is not ideal as there are some steeper sections on linking runs, but frankly I have never had any issues with my students and neither did my own kids have any problems. I suspect this comes from very nervous blue run skiers who do not take lessons. The downside is more for yourself, as there are not that many "cruisy blues", the main mountain is more red in steepness. Maybe lessons all round would be the solution? Ski Zenit is the best ski school, Eskimos is all right and even the Swiss Ski Scoool if fine for beginners (my brother did an adult beginner course with them and enjoyed it).

Griemntz in Val'Anniviers would also be a good option. Swiss Ski School is the best option for group lessons (do NOT use ESI), language barrier can normally be sorted out if you talk to the school. Good area for some quite easy blues. The best of the skiing across Grimentz/Zinal are the reds and black though, so plenty to progress to.

Monterrosa is also easily reachable from Milan/Turin. Others will have more information on that.

Serre Chevalier in France is also an option
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Not sure abiut the journey from/to your airports but we were a group of mixed abilities a few years ago and had a great time in Lenzerheide - actually stayed in Churwalden which has easy access to the ski area
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Take the train! Saas fee,( train and short very efficient bus ride) or Zermatt of course, where the train goes right into the middle of town. I would recommend the La Couronne in Zermatt for a high quality but not prohibitively expensive option. Well positioned too. You do not have to mess about with hire cars, which in Italy invariably do not come with snow tyres. Chains alone are a total waste of time.
Despite what people tell you Zermatt does have some decent and easily accessible skiing for beginners. Saas fee is better for this but much smaller. If your party can handle red runs at their own pace, you can also still ski Italy in Cervinia if you go to Zermatt
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Saas-Fee is, like Zermatt, car free. You have to park in the massive underground car park at the village entrance so going by train/post bus is a great option (did it on Wednesday and all bang-on efficient as usual!). I endorse the comments above about it being a great area to learn and the progression to the easy blues up the mountain is reasonably straightforward. Another vote, too, for Zenit - my other half had private lessons last week and made huge progress. Loads of accommodation options, too.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@twoodwar, Quicker and easier to get to Cervinia from Milan than Zermatt. And in my view every bit as good for a novice/intermediate group. Most of the reds in Cervinia would be rated blue elsewhere, and good snow-sure nursery slopes.

Train is entirely possible to Zermatt/Sass Fee but NOT as straightforward coming from Milan and returning to Turin. Doable, but not the same as coming from Geneva at all. Did you read the OP?

Chains alone are NOT a total waste of time. Not as good as also having winter tyres for sure, but most Italians manage just fine without winter tyres and roads are generally well maintained in winter. You would have to be very unlucky to not have a clear run to Cervinia. Do you have experience of this or similar journeys by hire car? Private transfers are another option - often not much difference in price if a reasonably sized group.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thank you, all really helpful. We have a teenager with one jab and proof of recovery, which makes france or italy a bit of a headache hence looking to Switzerland. I'd really rather stick with Cervinia or Serre Chevalier - if nothing else, SC is a bargain at under £3k for an all inclusive hotel for all five of us - but just can't handle the prospect of daily testing during half term (France) or daily lift pass office queue (Italy).

We can all handle reds we just have a youngest who gets very nervous still, plus very accident-prone me with a history of injury - I'm getting worse not better after 20 years of snowboarding and losing my confidence on steeper runs despite many years of lessons, some relatively recently, and being technically competent.

We've done hire car travel to ski resorts or private transfers, never tried the train but don't really mind how we get where we are going as long as it doesn't take more than ideally 3 but really not more than 5 hours travel after the flight!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I looked at Saas-Fee and Grindelwald for my beginner-intermediate family. They are really intermediates to nervous intermediates. Looked like overall Grindelwald Wengen had the gentle cruisey Blues and easier (subjective but I will find out) Reds then Saas-Fee up the mountain. So Grindlewald is probably our first choice and Saas-Fee is second. Research and forum comments based only, I've not been yet but hope to in half term.

Happy to receive the wisdom of the oldbies if you can add to that or correct me.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We'll be taking the train too btw, to either Saas-Fee or Grindelwald.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
BTW the number of T-bars and drag lifts in Saas is not ideal for my family, they'll complain of tired legs going up vs sitting on chair lifts in Grindelwald. If it were me, I'm a die hard Intermediate aspiring to be Expert so for the snow and long decent challenging Reds I'll go to Saas myself wink
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@susieq78, Will you teenager not be able to get a second jab before half-term?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@snowheeeed, ouch I bloody hate drag lifts (as does hubby) as we both snowboard. Grindelwald is a loooong journey from Milan though. Some thinking to be done.

@zikomo, he had covid in september, first jab in november, second one booked for 8th feb. For France, they have to be 7 days clear of second jab I believe. For Italy, they are happy with 2nd jab from day it is done but chances of NHS paper letter arriving for him before we leave on 12th are remote, from what i gather. If NHS can bring in digital pass for teenagers before we leave, then happy days, off to cervinia we go. And, I will try my luck at a walk in the week before. And also have option of borrowing paper pass from a friend's son same age. Which is wrong and hubby very wary of this but also not wrong because it's an admin problem not a health risk problem. I'm so fed up, keep having to mutter "firstworldproblems" to myself
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@susieq78, I would try a walk-in centre after 8 weeks, guidance is that "essential travel" is a valid reason to shorten the gap so argue the point. Also ask your GP for help. And write to your MP.

On borrowing a paper pass, I believe this is linked to individual ID and this may be checked. I agree with you that there is no moral issue, you son fulfils the criteria just we have failed to have a good process to prove it.

You could also contact the tourist office in Cervinia and see if there is any way a letter from GP proving vaccination would work.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
[quote="susieq78"]@snowheeeed, ouch I bloody hate drag lifts (as does hubby) as we both snowboard. Grindelwald is a loooong journey from Milan though. Some thinking to be done.

The family don't like drags and they don't like snowboarders near them on chairlifts - nervousness around boards resting on their skis on and off the lift wink

Yes Grindelwald is a long way from Milan, however on public transport it can be about the same time - 3.5 hours via trains and bus. I compared on Google Maps Blush

Milan to Saas via train is typically 3.5 hr to 4.5 hrs
Milan to Grindelwad via train is at best 3.5 hrs rising to 5.5 hrs.

So time it right and it's the same. A couple of trains in the afternoon can get you to either resort from Milan in 3.5hrs.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@zikomo, "I would try a walk-in centre after 8 weeks, guidance is that "essential travel" is a valid reason to shorten the gap" - I have not come accross this before, are you able to point me to where this is said please?

....so argue the point. Also ask your GP for help. Done, it's a no
And write to your MP - he is an utter tool and complete was of space, not a hope in hell of him ever doing anything useful

"On borrowing a paper pass, I believe this is linked to individual ID and this may be checked" - if we go down this road, we will have a photocopy of the corresponding passport photo page to go with it Shocked and I think it is reasonable for a teenager to be carrying a photocopy not an actual passport on the slopes wink

"You could also contact the tourist office in Cervinia and see if there is any way a letter from GP proving vaccination would work". - it will, as in, he would be allowed to ski but without a QR code, we would have to queue at the lift pass office every morning for some sort of validation process rather than pinging a QR into an app
snow report
Sorry just read that back and sounds a bit combative. All helpful thoughts, I am so frustrated at the constant brick walls rather than your suggestions. Any insight into essential travl exception would make my day. I have a telephone appt with my GP this avo about something else and will make another begging attempt for the 2nd vaccine to be given 5 days early, any additional weight to my pleading would be fab!
latest report
susieq78 wrote:
We fly into Milan Malpensa and out of Turin for half term, might be able to change return leg if needs be. We have options on accommodation in Serre Chevalier and Cervinia but now wondering whether to stop fretting, suck up the cost and pay Switzerland prices instead. I'm a bit overwhelmed looking for resorts driveable from northern Italy though.

I was looking at Saas Fee or Sedrun sector of Andermatt Sedrun. We have novices so don't want anything too steep. Engelberg was not my idea of a good time (not that it's in the running this time but to give you an idea of appetite for challenge). We have a mix of skiers and snowboarders, and not desperate for massive terrain, we are content in smaller resorts. Best day out for me is cruisy blues and good ski school for smallest. Any suggestions gratefully received.

We have switched our February HT La Tania stay to a lovely hotel in Grindelwald. As I mentioned on the French Restrictions thread, we are not prepared to stress over daily tests etc in France (we have a 14Y old who is not fully vaccinated). I really like the Jungfrau region as it is easily reachable by train ... all 3 villages (Grindelwald, Murren and Wengen) are car free and hence teenager friendly with outstanding scenery and lovely intermediate cruising. Plenty of stuff to do off the slopes like a visit to the Jungfraujoch, the Schilthorn revolving restaurant (of James Bond fame) etc. Prices are not as extortionate as Zermatt. If you have easyJet flights they can be switched FOC within 2 hours of departure. We also looked at Adelboden and Andermatt - they can be good options too but you need to choose your accommodation carefully due to the layout of the villages, where the lifts are etc.
ski holidays
Just on the trains debate ... sitting on a civilised and spotlessly clean Swiss train, gazing at the outstanding scenery and having a bottle of wine is a completely different world to our perception of train travel ...
ski holidays
@susieq78, Does not read as combative at all! Just as a stressed parent, which I can completely relate to!

Here is the link to the advice for teenagers:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/covid-19-vaccination-resources-for-children-and-young-people/covid-19-vaccination-a-guide-to-a-second-dose-for-young-people-aged-16-to-17

Another thing to try is to ask for the head vaccinator at a walk in centre. I had to do this to over-ride the exclusion we had in out health authority where they would not let my 15 year old in unaccompanied. Alternative suggested by "security" was to leave my two of my other children unaccompanied in the foyer of the centre. Very reasonable conversation and well resolved. They are keen to help generally, you just need to get to someone who can make a decision and generally there will be a senior nurse in charge and they tend to have some common sense. Just don't take no for an answer until you speak to that person.

I would also try and contact the local Public Heath team. I could try and get you some contact details if you let me know your health authority. Again, generally staffed by common sense individuals.

Looks like that workaround on the borrowed pass would work, and I don't think you should feel guilty about it from a moral perspective. You are following all the rules. The consequences of getting caught are severe though, albeit probably a tiny risk of that happening.
snow report
@zikomo, thank you - my son is 13 and I don't think essential travel bit applies to the 12-15 age group. I'm St Albans local authority area, any useful contact details appreciated thank you. I booked the 2nd jab with someone in the health team directly and asked if it could be brought forward five days but they said no Sad. If all else fails, I will ask to see head person at vaccine centre - good tip!

@franga, thank you, that is reassuring re train travel. It's a bloody long way from milan to gridelwald. I will investigate changing the flights but easyjet have already made a change which puts us in a position of getting a refund if everything goes to sh*t, which I lose if I cahnge the flights. PLus keeping my options well and truly open at the moment with hotels booked in france and italy already!!
snow report
I've visited Saas Fee multiple times with my kids. It's a great place, but not without its limitations, pistes are limited and the reds have a couple of narrower / steeper sections which can intimidate more nervous skiers, given it's altitude, it's not unknown for the lifts to be shut, or severely restricted for a couple of days. The upsides, scenery, long runs, snow to village guaranteed & big nursery slopes. Saas Grund down the hill (usually same pass, but not magic pass) is small but has some lovely cruisey pistes.
Driving, you'll want winter tyres, these may be an option in Italy and perhaps the Simplon tunnel train thing.
Train / bus, we've done this multiple times from Swiss airports is easy (even with 4* ski and 2* kids).
Saying all that, I'm looking at Grindelwald for my next trip...now the new lift is installed.
snow report
The new lift from Grindelwald has altered the dynamics noticeably @rnick,
The novelty factor is still part of the equation. It seems everybody wants to access Eigergletscher (Kleine Scheidegg) to ski that area and Maenlichen!
The result can be a very quiet First area, the stand alone sector of Grindelwald.
snow conditions
susieq78 wrote:
Thank you, all really helpful. We have a teenager with one jab and proof of recovery, which makes france or italy a bit of a headache hence looking to Switzerland. I'd really rather stick with Cervinia or Serre Chevalier - if nothing else, SC is a bargain at under £3k for an all inclusive hotel for all five of us - but just can't handle the prospect of daily testing during half term (France) or daily lift pass office queue (Italy).

We can all handle reds we just have a youngest who gets very nervous still, plus very accident-prone me with a history of injury - I'm getting worse not better after 20 years of snowboarding and losing my confidence on steeper runs despite many years of lessons, some relatively recently, and being technically competent.

We've done hire car travel to ski resorts or private transfers, never tried the train but don't really mind how we get where we are going as long as it doesn't take more than ideally 3 but really not more than 5 hours travel after the flight!

Under £3k for an all inclusive hotel in Serre Chevalier for a family of five sounds like a real bargain. What hotel is this please? We are also looking for accommodation in half term within driving distance of Geneva airport and we are also a family of five. Thanks.
ski holidays
Sowell Parc Hotel in Briancon near the ski lift. Found it on booking.com, had a look on their own website and then got into the chat function with an agent called Steve. He checked availability for me and gave me a big discount, around €1k reduction based on their own web price! Booked on 12th feb and there was a choice of rooms available then. Good luck Eh oh!
ski holidays
It’s breakfast, plus allowed to take away lunch for the day, pm snack, dinner, booze…
latest report
susieq78 wrote:
Sowell Parc Hotel in Briancon near the ski lift. Found it on booking.com, had a look on their own website and then got into the chat function with an agent called Steve. He checked availability for me and gave me a big discount, around €1k reduction based on their own web price! Booked on 12th feb and there was a choice of rooms available then. Good luck Eh oh!

Thanks very much for the recommendation, I will contact this hotel via their chat function tomorrow. It looks great Smile

We have two teenagers who have just had their second Covid vaccination. If we end up going to France, I just need to work out how to get the QR code that is needed for their pass sanitaire. We first booked Alpe d'Huez for NY, then we changed to Alpe d'Huez for half term and then we changed to La Tzoumaz (near Verbier) in Switzerland for half term, but we found out yesterday that the accommodation we had booked in La Tzoumaz was cancelled, hence why we're pretty much back at square one again.
ski holidays
Call 119 for the NHS letter with QR code to be sent in post...it is only valid for a month so don't call for it too soon. Takesa round a week to arrive based on experience of others here.
ski holidays
susieq78 wrote:
Call 119 for the NHS letter with QR code to be sent in post...it is only valid for a month so don't call for it too soon. Takesa round a week to arrive based on experience of others here.

Thanks for the info, will do.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've done Saas-Fee three times and did Wengen at half-term right before covid. My oldest daughter learned to ski in Saas-Fee. I'd echo previous comments, Ski Zenit is the best in town(for adults and older kids already at intermediate level looking to take their skiing to the next level). I wasn't super impressed with Eskimos. My daughter did the Swiss school there twice and we were quite pleased they also have the lunch program add on so you have the option to ski the entire day rather than picking them up at noon. The nursery slope area is excellent, but the progression to more advanced terrain isn't ideal. Other things to consider, Saas-Fee is all cable cars and t-bars. It's entirely possible you won't ride a chairlift the entire week. Not ideal from a covid perspective.
Wengen the nursery slope area is solid, but you can progress easily to the entire area. All the reds under Männlichen flatter the intermediate skier. I was able to do the entire loop from Wengen up to the top of Männlichen, down to to Holenstein, Gummi, Arven, Kleine Scheidegg and back down to Wengen with my then six year old low intermediate daughter. There's a wonderful sense of travel that you just don't get in Saas-Fee.

That said, if you're coming from Malpensa it's a total no go. Yes, theoretically it's only an additional 30-45 as compared to Saas-Fee, but it's also an additional transfer. Some of the train enthusiasts will tell you how easy it is. I've done it, it's not easy, it's pretty miserable and every additional stop/train transfer is an opportunity for things to go wrong. Still, don't consider hiring a car to Saas-Fee. The Italians at Malpensa have never heard of winter tires. For a small fee they'll give you chains, but do you really want to be in a position where you're driving over the Simplon Pass in weather and need to put on chains? Private transfer to/from Saas-Fee can be arranged for about 350 EUR. Comazzi bus is a another option to consider. They'll pick you up at Malpensa and transport you to Domodossola which allows you to avoid Milan. Although we once landed at 11:45 on time, I'd booked the bus for 13:00. Passport control took an hour and a half. We missed the bus, the next bus two hours later was booked because half-term so we took the train. After a series of mishaps and long train delays we didn't arrive to our hotel in Saas-Fee until after midnight and one of our daughters crapped her pants on the bus up from Visp. Don't let that happen to you!

Have you considered La Thuile? Not the greatest beginner slope progression, but it's an easy drive from Malpensa and under 2.5 hours. All the runs above tree line are very intermediate friendly.

I've never done Cervinia, but I think I'd give it serious consideration. I love Saas-Fee, my wife loves it too. There's something magical about the place. I'd say the village is much more charming than Wengen, feels way more authentic. The views are absolutely stunning. Just be prepared for the transfer. Maybe it's harder coming on the overnight from the US. Good luck and enjoy.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy