Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Piste or Powder ?

Poster: A snowHead
What’s your tipple when it comes to conditions, are you on your knees to the snow gods asking for a 12” dump of snow just as you arrive in resort or do you like a nice piece of well groomed corduroy ?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'll hold my hands up and confess to being an piste lover, just never got into the off piste stuff, most likely due to coming late to skiing already heavy and unfit
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
A snow dump is always good! You get to have some fun off piste and the on piste conditions improve too. I do always hope the sun will come out again eventually, then it’s heaven.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Perfect is powder and sunshine Laughing
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Even though I grew up in the 70s I am no a groomer, so hors piste all the way.
Also skiing pow used to be much harder on skinny 190s, and snowboards were still a thing of myth.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
In an ideal world I'd only really need two types of snow: either powder or glorious slushy onpiste spring bumps. Give me either storm day pow in the trees or hot spring sun and a resort covered in slushy bumps and I'm a happy man!

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Thu 13-01-22 9:20; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Got to be powder. There ain’t no piste that makes you feel like this

http://youtube.com/v/YrWV5ntLTVw
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@BobinCH, those gopro shots always make me feel a bit dizzy Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I have promised Mrs a no more off piste. However if the resort has been unable to clear the deep snow from pistes I do not complain. Snowmageddon at Alleghe and a glorious run in hip high powder on a black in Wengen spring to mind snowHead
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Pistes are only there as an easy way of finding the bottom of the lift Very Happy
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Piste all the way, offpiste is just a way of travelling between pistes Toofy Grin
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Truth is I only ski two weeks a year, and am pretty good on piste, have only one set of skis, which are piste needless to say, therefore piste rules. Im just grateful to be in the mountains. Also at 64 I’m not now going to change. If I was 25 and got more holiday time I’m sure offpiste would be on the agenda. At 25 though I could only afford one weeks skiing Sad

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Thu 13-01-22 10:45; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I can't say I really care either way, just so long as the mountain's white and slippy I'm happy. Very much a case of "There's no such thing as the wrong sort of snow, just the wrong sort of skis".

If I wake up to a meter of fresh powder I'll hate my day if I take my slalom skis/love it if I take the wide ones and just float. Likewise if I wake up to the same snow we've had for 3 weeks I'll hate my day if I take the wide ones/love it if I take the SLs and get those edges in.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I generally only ski on-piste - but love those days where it dumps down early morning after the bashers have been, and you get to make first tracks in powder. Absolute heaven just surfing down the slopes. Unfortunately it feels like that only lasts a few runs until it all gets tracked out and the pistes become a lumpy, bumpy mess - which I don't particularly find fun (and nor do my thighs!).

Whereas I always love a perfectly groomed piste, especially if it's a bluebird day. I can completely relax in my skiing and just go with the flow.

My favourite ever runs have been in powder, but my favourite ever days have been on groomed courduroy.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Used to be a little bit obsessed about off piste and for me it's still the glory and guts of skiing. But I've learnt to appreciate the fun and beauty of piste skiing also.

One thing I will say about both is that the more you practice and get better at both the more fun for me they've both become.
snow conditions
There is only one way to answer the question, you've just got to get good enough at the one to appreciate the other.

But not all fresh snow is powder and there are a lot of challenges on the spectrum.

I think I actually prefer perfect spring corn to powder. Because it is more readily available and a matter of savvy and timing rather than whim of nature.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 13-01-22 13:47; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Layne wrote:
Used to be a little bit obsessed about off piste and for me it's still the glory and guts of skiing. But I've learnt to appreciate the fun and beauty of piste skiing also.

One thing I will say about both is that the more you practice and get better at both the more fun for me they've both become.

This. I used to get grumpy when the holiday was approaching without any sign of snow in the forecast, but actually racking up the miles on piste, stopping for a nice lunch, and just being in the mountains has its own fun.

That doesn't mean I don't obsessively check the forecast thought....
latest report
I'm terrible in deep powder. I'm sure it's all psychosomatic, but I'm always fearful my uphill ski is going to get caught, and I end up skiing like a knob and then fall over.

So I'm going to say piste. Though I do love it when it has dumped after the bashers have been out, and there's a good 6 inches of fresh stuff to glide through.
latest report
Deffo hoping for powder ( not just fresh snow ), but if not groomed trails in the sun - we have been lucky over the years to have more than our fair share of powder Madeye-Smiley
Locals @ Powder Mtn , nick named us the snow bringers as it dumped every time we were there, one couple asked us when we were next planning to visit Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

Quote:

Perfect is powder and sunshine

Agreed - and struck lucky many a time too. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
I think I actually prefer perfect spring corn to powder.

I'd take corn over most other conditions, but proper fresh light powder beats it.
snow conditions
On a late lunch break. Haven't got time to reply, a perfect piste is calling.
snow report
Just indulged in that combo, pow and sunshine from the top of Grösse Scheidegg, Jungfrau Region.

Snow was sublime.....
snow report
Mosha Marc wrote:
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
I think I actually prefer perfect spring corn to powder.

I'd take corn over most other conditions, but proper fresh light powder beats it.

Agree but I was choosing on likelihood etc. There's nothing like that billowing puff of a faceshot or the bottomless elevator ride feeling but the number of times you don't quite get that is very high. Versus the banker of being able to spray like an incontinent tramp with spring corn.
latest report
Piste for everyone.................that will leave the powder for me Very Happy

15 years ago I could do lap after lap on off piste routes or even piste side powder, now I'm lucky to get two before it's skied out. I'm not sure if it's the change in ski shape, the YouTube generation, or the complete disregard for personal safety (track followers).
snow report
PowderAdict wrote:
... 15 years ago I could do lap after lap on off piste routes or even piste side powder, now I'm lucky to get two before it's skied out. I'm not sure if it's the change in ski shape, the YouTube generation, or the complete disregard for personal safety (track followers).
I thought that was just me getting older, but now you mention it too...
I think that's correct - it's harder to get fresh tracks now than in days of yore.
My guess is that modern ski designs and snowboards make it easier for non-experts to ride snow which isn't bashed.

On the OP, well I pay a lot to ride the best powder there is, but I still like to spend the odd day on race gear riding at resorts.
ski holidays
Back when the kids were small and at Ski School...and the SCGB were allowed to guide in France - and hired a guide for the group/provided equipment - I did a number of days Off Piste, when Lady F felt like a lazy morning.

Now I ski with my Daughter, who likes to remain On Piste.....so aside from heading to un-pisted areas accessible near the Lift, I spend most of my time skiing with her.

If I had more than 6 days skiing a year and was with others who wanted to go Off Piste with a guide, I would invest in Avi kit and spend more of my time doing that.
latest report
I have a bee in my bonnet about the way people will call any freshly-fallen snow, no matter how wet and claggy, "powder". If you can make a snowball with it, it ain't powder. wink
snow conditions
And it's even worse if they insist on calling it "pow". Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w wrote:
I have a bee in my bonnet about the way people will call any freshly-fallen snow, no matter how wet and claggy, "powder". If you can make a snowball with it, it ain't powder. wink

I just sarcastically call that "powder day". Just it's very moist powder when second tracks can be at a distinct advantage as far as leg breaking goes and third tracks means you're skiing on concrete.
snow conditions
@philwig, @PowderAdict, I too get tired of chasing freshies in resort, I actually find it quite stressful Puzzled

We have various sectors where we'll head to after a snow-fall and that usually involves first lifts, and a lot will depend on the time of year and whether it's a weekend as to how soon it gets tracked out. Timing it right can pay dividends.

Packing skins can help as we can drop off the back (slack/side country) and then ski down a valley and then skin back up into the resort.

I don't know whether it's an age thing, but I find piste skiing, especially when busy quite stressful, that said prior to the Xmas/New Year hols when it was quiet we'd ski the morning corduroy and last week the OH actually bought some piste skis!

I'd rather do cross-country that deal with a busy boiler-plate piste.

And given the right conditions as in this week you really can't get better than this, which was today Cool

And @Arno, hopefully, this GoPro 360 footage will not make you too dizzy Laughing

http://youtube.com/v/QO0kT9gU60I
ski holidays
I love it all really. It's the powder days that linger most in the memory but snow and weather have both got to be foul before I'd prefer to be doing something other than skiing.
latest report
pam w wrote:

Same here Very Happy

Also, if you are skiing on the base under the new snow, you aren't powder skiing.

It is particular prevalent across the pond, where any new snow is 'powder', and it didn't appear to matter how much of it there was or whether it sitting on sheet ice or bare rock. It was quite amusing to occasionally come across the resort PR team out taking pictures after overnight snow, and managing to produce spectacular pictures with 3cm of new snow rolling eyes
ski holidays
Some really interesting points raised by@PowderAdict, and @philwig, I'm convinced the resorts you pick will dictate how much or how little side country powder you pick up.
I've been rattling around the Jungfrau Region on a regular basis for 20 years, I consistently tell people you will always find some powder 2,3 even 4 days after fresh snow! This does not require huge walks or resorting to skins.
This week is a classic example of the pattern I describe. Good snow Sunday night with a classic powder day on Monday, the local kids were leaping off the cliffs, terrain I would never visit on a level 3 avalanche risk. The easy access (lower grade) just doesn't get tracked.
Tuesday a visit to Meiringen, absolutely no reputation for off piste, fresh tracks too be had everywhere directly adjacent the piste.
Today, the 4 days of Lauberhorn racing has begun so we went across to Grindelwald First.
Our plan was a very short ski tour to access some genuine off p' Gondola up through the area, which was empty. Once again drop off the edge of a couple of pistes into fantastic untracked!
One piste runs to the side of the area, some easy traverses to give remarkable good steep pitches of (still) powder.
I could ramble on but nobody listens so I'll just enjoy "acres of untracked powder"....lift accessed!
The short skin took us onto the Grösse Scheidegg (brother of more famous Kleine Scheidegg)
There were 8 sets of tracks up there, super safe, beautiful, the powder was as good as Monday morning.
latest report
I realise this isn't going to be a widely held or popular view here, but...

1) We don't pay £300+ for a lift pass and then walk/skin/trudge up the mountain. We go where the lifts take us.
2) First lifts either means getting up at sparrows f***, or missing a proper breakfast. 10am is plenty early enough for first lifts.
3) There are rarely any bars or resturaunts half way down an off-piste run - so no reason to be there.

For me, the best conditions are on-piste when the weather is absolutely foul- Windy and tipping down with snow, and everyone else has abandoned ship for the day. A foot or two of new snow on top of a bashed piste is great. Even normally busy pistes can be fantastic. If it[s windy then every lap is on new snow - your tracks from the last lap filled in or blown away. Lapping Marmottes down Ok/Orange as far as the Follie, or Aguille Rouge and down myosoyis or even just up and down under Almes. Once it all goes wrong (and it will) and my goggles are all fogged up, then bail out into the nearest bar to recount tales of daring-do.

Sometimes - very rarely - but sometimes the weather clears up mid afternoon, and you can have the mountain to yourself. Then it's ski till you're thrown off the mountain by the rozzers.
ski holidays
Crud is underrated Toofy Grin
snow conditions
I would take a day on touring gear with no crowds a flask of tea and a sandwich for lunch over lift accessed and a bar on the mountain any time. Just so much better to have the peace and solitude of the mountains than dealing with inbounds powder day frother elbow shoving craziness.

Best days are bottomless powder under a blue sky with a helicopter doing the hard work. But it’s an expensive way to do it. Still managed 10 of those last season Very Happy
ski holidays
Not sure what's the obsession with virgin snow. My wife is no longer a virgin but I still enjoy making love to her.
ski holidays
^ever tried shagging an icy mogul ? Very Happy
snow conditions
Judwin, Wish more folks would think like your first 3 pointers Toofy Grin
snow report
Judwin wrote:
I realise this isn't going to be a widely held or popular view here, but...

1) We don't pay £300+ for a lift pass and then walk/skin/trudge up the mountain. We go where the lifts take us..
2) First lifts either means getting up at sparrows f***, or missing a proper breakfast. 10am is plenty early enough for first lifts.
3) There are rarely any bars or resturaunts half way down an off-piste run - so no reason to be there.

1) 90+% of off piste skiers don't "walk/skin/trudge up the mountain"! We rode lift to the top of the mountain and ski down, OFF the piste!

2) I don't see 1st lift as necessary for going off the piste. In fact, the whole point of off piste is to be away from others so there's no competition.

3) You need to stop midway for a drink/food even on one single run? Shocked Shocked Shocked

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Thu 13-01-22 23:01; edited 1 time in total
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy