Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Special Occasion November/December 2006

Poster: A snowHead
My wife has suggested that we do something special for my 21st, sorry 40th which is on 28th November ( :sH: 's please mark your diaries now !)

I am thinking staying in a nice hotel (preferably small, boutique type) somewhere snowsure and with a fairly easy transfer for 2-3-4 days over a weekend at end of November early December.

As it is my 40th the budget is more flexible and something with a spa would be even better.

We will be [i]sans[/i] children and probably with another couple.

Any bright ideas?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Peter Leuzzi, Birthday or wedding anniversary wink
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Peter Leuzzi, The Hotel Fitzroy in VT used to be a Relais and Chateaux hotel with a fab spa. I think it may have changed hands though. The food was exquisite as was the service too and in terms of the time of year is pretty snow sure.

Frosty the Snowman, Razz Razz
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Frosty the Snowman, highly improbable to be wedding anniversary. As if a man could stay with a woman for 40 years.....and have a say in what we would do to celebrate!

Mouth, transfer time?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Mouth, I heard this season that the Fitzroy in VT wasn't quite what it was. Actually, thinking about it, that comment was specifically about its restaurant but yes it did change hands recently.

However, also in VT, is the Oxalys - it consists of chalet apartments for 4 - 8 people (no sofa beds or anything tacky like that), which can be serviced daily if u choose, and a very well respected restaurant. In fact, it's chef gained a Michelin Star this year so they're punting it as the Highest star in Europe. It also has spa facilities.
They do a half board deal in the 'Restaurant Gastronomique' for residents.

http://www.valthorens.com/hotels_description.asp?item=11&hotel=OXALY

http://www.resa-montagnettes.com/OXALYS/oxalys.html
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Mouth, I didn't hear anyone say anything nice about the Fitzroy this season, but heard quite a few negative comments - one very negative. During the summer it was bought by a company called Luxury Mountain Hotels, who are owned by - First Choice Holidays Shocked . To be fair, any problems wih the hotel may simply be teething problems under the new ownership. I know they're planning to expand the hotel this summer.

I can certainly recommend the food in the Oxalys - I had the €90 'Let the chef entertain you' menu which was inventive and involved 10 courses plus bits and pieces. A spendid evening. I suspect prices may rise a bit now they've won that Michelin star.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
admin, I always found the pool in the 'spa' at Oxalys was a little cold. wink and piste acces from the ski room is not the best. The bar and service was excellent. However, the underground car park was very good and is sometimes included in the price.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Alastair, oooo owned by First Choice - does not sound good! It used to be a fab place but on this seasons comments then I would not chance it.

Plans for expansion? Is there room?!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Mouth wrote:
Plans for expansion? Is there room?!

I don't know which direction it's going to expand in - I did hear a rumour that it would be extended over the top of the piste, but that was only a rumour. Would be a good way to do it, though - it would hide the car park.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Alastair, well it certainly can't expand upwards as the chairlift goes directly over the top as I can recall!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Peter Leuzzi, good luck with that, must remember it when my birthday comes around... shame it's in the summer... but maybe a weekend with easiski? Laughing
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Mouth wrote:
Alastair, well it certainly can't expand upwards as the chairlift goes directly over the top as I can recall!

Just build upwards with a big hole through the middle for the chairlift.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Alastair wrote:
Mouth, I didn't hear anyone say anything nice about the Fitzroy this season, but heard quite a few negative comments - one very negative. During the summer it was bought by a company called Luxury Mountain Hotels, who are owned by - First Choice Holidays Shocked

Do you think that's likely to affect the 2 in Courchevel that are also owned by Luxury Mountain Hotels (Trois Vallees and Hotel des Neiges)? The latter looks nice and had good offers this year and we were thinking about booking there for next year Confused
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
i would go to lake louise and stay in either deer lodge or the post hotel

perfect
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Peter Leuzzi, I don't know if Mark Warner will be open then, but their 4* hotel La Berengere in LDA would fulfil your requirements. Also the 3* (but very nice) hotel Le Souleil'Or - smashing grub .... Both hotels have all modern conveniences including jacuzzis, but not private ones! Very Happy
latest report
easiski, that said we attempted to use the Souleil'Or jacuzzi last August, each time it was freezing cold!

Otherwise definitely great food, friendly people. Not overjoyed with the Deux Alpes ski club, if I remember correctly! Their daughter used to ski for them, now with the "comité".
ski holidays
there are around 3/4 4* hotels in Val D'Isere, been there once before for opening weekend and had great snow and no people!
ski holidays
eng_ch, I don't imagine that any drop in standards in VT is likely to be long term or necessarily to be mirrored elsewhere - LMH do seem to aim to run quality establishments.
snow conditions
Peter Leuzzi, this is one gorgeous, so cool it hurts, hotel in Ischgl. I've kept the link as a favourite just in case I can ever afford to go there! I have no idea what the snow would be like in November though.
snow conditions
just remembered about this place in Chamonix as well..

http://www.hameaualbert.fr/

out/in door pool, v posh restaurant (with prices to match!)
ski holidays
 brian
brian
If it's cool you're after, how about Pirmin Zuerbriggen's place in Zermatt, http://www.zurbriggen.ch/zermatt/uns_e.htm

Plenty of not quite so cool but very luxurious there as well. All 3 sectors are scheduled to be open by the 25th November but at least you've got the glacier if the snow gods aren't playing early season ball.
snow report
Peter Leuzzi, - we have the same birthday! I've never 'met' anyone with the same birthday as me before! I once spent it in Courchevel - lots of snow, very atmospheric/romantic but the lifts weren't due to open until the next week - I think first week of December is the norm for Courchevel/VT (no doubt lots of far better informed snowHead than me will jump in here to put the record straight)
snow conditions
Thanks for all your comments. The idea of this is keeping me going at the moment. What is this bloody weather about? (sorry, bad week)

easiski, what is the skiing lijkely to be like at that time of year?

gregh, what time of year was it/ is likely to be?

RachelQ, niiiiiiiiice. Have enquired! It is my 40th afterall!

brian, all good stuff and have made enquiries there as well

poma, are we talking same birth day or same birthday?!! If the former, what are you doing for your 21st, uurgh 40th?
snow report
Peter Leuzzi, varies too much to say for sure. Can be all open or might only be glacier and cannoned low runs! At least (as with Zermatt) you're sure to be able to ski no matter what! Very Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy