Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach, Zell am Zee or Mayrhofen

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

I'm currently putting together a short trip for the first week of March 2021. Saturday - Wednesday.
11 adults of various ability from out right beginners to very experienced. We are doing 4 nights with 3 days on the piste.

We have narrowed it down to Austria for a variety of reasons and we are toying between the resorts of Saalbach, Zell am Zee or Mayrhofen. I know Saalbach and Zell are now linked but we would probably not bother visiting the other resort as we are there only 3 days. We like the easy access to these resorts and all do seem to tick as many boxes for the whole group as possible!

Just after peoples thoughts really on the above. We will ski all morning, enjoy a beer with a good lunch on the mountain, ski for a little bit in the afternoon before hopefully joining in with some Austrian table top dancing in the sun to some classic europop! Then dump the gear in a locker and partake in a bit more apres in town before heading for a feed and then a few bars till the early hours. Live music always goes down well!
Does one of these resorts stand out more than the other for this?

Cost is a factor, both on the mountain and in the evening hence why we have chosen these resorts over A, France or B, St Anton for example. If anyone has any accommodation suggestions I'd love to hear them. Ideally we wanted an AirBnB or appartment but finding one that can accommodate us all has proved tricky.

As for the skiing, I believe all these resorts should offer something for all our abilities. The number of KM piste wise isn't too much of a priority for us as only there for 3 days don't need massive mileage. But the easier access to the pistes the better, especially for the beginners (they will have a couple of lessons in the morning).

Thanks all!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Fridge03, Saalbach is better (and higher) than Zell am See for the skiing and the apres-ski. Access to the pistes is easier in Saalbach than in Mayrhofen.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Been to all 3 and mayrhofen is my favourite. Agree saalbach better for access to slopes. Apres in mayrhofen my favourite but saalbach is also awesome.

How are you getting there cause Austrian flights mostly sat to sat or sun to sun so 4 night trips not really an option unless you can maybe fly to Munich but then transfers are pricey.

Flying to Geneva for france gives you lots of options resort wise with lots of flights daily. France is a totally different party scene though and can't compete with Austria for apres
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Fridge03, as early March is pretty much main season you may struggle to get accommodation for just part of the week, most prefer to fill their rooms for a whole week. To get what you want I would recommend booking early. As @tatmanstours, says Saalbach is your best option.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Fridge03, as early March is pretty much main season you may struggle to get accommodation for just part of the week, most prefer to fill their rooms for a whole week. To get what you want I would recommend booking early. As @tatmanstours, says Saalbach is your best option.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@mikeelsa, flights aren't an issue. Plenty of options into Innsbruck and Salzburg for Saturdays and mid weeks. Wanting to avoid France as whilst there is more accomdation options, the cost of everything there is much higher. And just doesn't have the some feel as Austria!

@Yorksboy, Agreed on the booking. I've seen a few places that will allow the 4 nights but not many. Hence why looking to get booked up early! Just need to decide on where to go.

Having been to Saalbach, this would be my prefered option however the accommodation is coming out at the most pricey at the moment!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Fridge03, I went to Mayrhofen for the first time in a group this January and have been to Saalbach every year for the last 10 or more.

I really enjoyed Mayrhofen and would certainly recommend it, however (perhaps not unsurprisingly given the amount of times I have visited) Saalbach offers more.

Mayrhofen costs for beer and food the same as Saalbach, good apres and plenty of piste to satisfy you for 3 days and a trip to up the valley to Kaltenbach (15 mins on train) offers more if required and we loved it.

However for me Saalbach wins on 2 counts,

1, you can ski back to the village and there’s 3 lifts out
2, more apres options

Worth paying a bit more for
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ribblevalleyblue wrote:
@Fridge03, I went to Mayrhofen for the first time in a group this January and have been to Saalbach every year for the last 10 or more.

I really enjoyed Mayrhofen and would certainly recommend it, however (perhaps not unsurprisingly given the amount of times I have visited) Saalbach offers more.

Mayrhofen costs for beer and food the same as Saalbach, good apres and plenty of piste to satisfy you for 3 days and a trip to up the valley to Kaltenbach (15 mins on train) offers more if required and we loved it.

However for me Saalbach wins on 2 counts,

1, you can ski back to the village and there’s 3 lifts out
2, more apres options

Worth paying a bit more for

Mayrhofen's skiing is higher than S-H's, but more difficult to access, and smaller (obviously) in the one place though there is probably more skiing in total up and down the valley. Mayrhofen is a very pleasant village these days.

I'd probably pick S-H over Mayrhofen, but later in the season if not going higher elsewhere may plump for Mayrhofen. Will definitely go back to both.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for the thoughts all. My heart is saying Saalbach as well! But I do still fancy Mayrhofen!

Anyone with any thoughts on Zell Am See at all? From what I've read, it has some decent on the mountain bars and a few lively evening places such as Crazy Daisy plus the Gin Bar?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Fridge03, I should really recommend you go to Mayrhofen - don't want Saalbach-Hinterglemm to get too crowded in early March rolling eyes (one of my weeks).

Its a long time since I've been to Mayrhofen, but keep getting drawn back to Saalbach, just like many others. I think your only solution is to arrange more trips.

keep us updated with what you decide.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Anyone with any thoughts on Zell Am See at all? From what I've read, it has some decent on the mountain bars and a few lively evening places such as Crazy Daisy plus the Gin Bar?

Having spent this morning familiarising myself with the Zell am See ski area, two things surprised me: it seemed a lot bigger than I was expecting (although the stats speak for themselves), and many of the lifts are positively antiquated. Later I skied back from Leogang in a blizzard and was very grateful for the comfy lifts with heated seats and bubble covers.
Can’t comment on the apres-ski, except that I’ve heard it’s limited and not great (although probably fantastic compared with typical French resorts - everything’s comparative).
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
tatmanstours wrote:
Quote:

Having spent this morning familiarising myself with the Zell am See ski area, two things surprised me: it seemed a lot bigger than I was expecting (although the stats speak for themselves), and many of the lifts are positively antiquated. Later I skied back from Leogang in a blizzard and was very grateful for the comfy lifts with heated seats and bubble covers.
Can’t comment on the apres-ski, except that I’ve heard it’s limited and not great (although probably fantastic compared with typical French resorts - everything’s comparative).

Apres in Zell back in the 80s was fine!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We skied as a group in Mayrhofen last year and Saalbach this year and loved both but Saalbach is definately our favourite, and we have already booked to go again. Last year our ability range was from a complete beginner, some nervous second/third week skiers and some more experienced skiers. This year we had no beginners, a few early week skiers and the more experienced. Both are great villages BUT the skiing in Mayrhofen did not suit the more nervous and less experienced yet Saalbach suited every ability. We went to both during a quieter week and the blue runs were horrendously busy in Mayrhofen (two of our group had nasty collisions), but they found the easy blues blissfully quiet in Saalbach for most of the time (particularly early mornings). Food on the mountain great in both - as is apres ski!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
3-4 days means its not so critical as to where to go esp as it looks like the op has a beginner or two in tow, however having been to all 3saalbach would be the choice on several counts. Easy to get to the lifts thus maximising skiing time brilliant lift network and piste management plus a great number of excellent mountain restaurants and a full and varied apres scene . Cost comes into the equation but then so does vfm . The issue will be accom as most places wether sc / bb or 1/2 board only take full weeks until nearer the time. I also have a suspicion that saalbach will be a tad harder to find accom as the new connection to saalbach from zell only benefits saalbach . When I was in s end of jan similar minded folks I met seemed of the view that next year they would plumb for saalbach ,Having been over to zell from saalbach this year I cant see us rushing to do it again
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Not been to Saalbach so can't comment. I've been to Zell and Mayrhofen and much prefer the latter. Zell is a very pretty town but the skiing is fairly limited and a bit dull. Mayrhofen offers more and has much better apres and nightlife.
snow conditions
Visited Mayrhofen for the first time since 1987 this week. Reason for the long absence was the immense queue waiting for the single gondola up to Penken, and the limited skiing up on Penken once you got there. So was very pleasantly surprised to find that the place has changed; totally! Very modern 10 man gondola up to Penken, ski area appears to have been extended / improved in numerous ways and the Harakiri is good for a laugh!

Went there to meet up with some old friends who I had not seen since uni. Found the resort was empty, I mean really, totally empty. I stayed at a Pension called Villa Angela in the center of Mayrhofen and was the only guest! The landlady laid on a really decent breakfast all the same, and explained to me that the reason for the lack of guests is that the Russians , who usually flood the place over Russian Xmas/NY, are not allowed in cos Sputnik is not accredited! She's suffering!
Anyway, skiing was good. No apres (also good IMO).
Went up to the glacier at Hintertux on one day. Not been there since about 2001 I think. Was also impressed with new lifts etc, but seriously shocked by the state of the glacier. Last time I went up the 'Gefrorene Wand' it was all under a thick layer of ice with massive crevasses. All gone. Same for other parts of the glacier. I don't know how far the ice has receded, but last time I was there it extended nearly to the Tuxerfernerhaus. Fairly sure it's nowhere near there now. First time I went in 85 it extended as far as the Spannagelhaus!
latest report
Anyone have any idea on when hotel bars in Kaprun or Zell are closing to their patrons? Is it the same as normal bars in the town I.e. 10pm?
snow report
@elchenuk, it's 10pm everywhere. Don't know of any exceptions
snow report
Zell Apres is best done on the mountain. Start at the Berghotel for Schnapps Hans and his Butlins/Schlager/Europop Party complete with imaginary motorbike. Then head via the Breiteckalm Schirmbar until the sun goes down behind Kaprun. Finally, before it gets dark preferably, end up in the Ebenbergalm (easy to miss the turn behind the top of the Ebenberg chairlift) which is small and great and you can get a very filling dinner there before you drop down into town.

I rarely go into town for any sort of apres these days but Greens under the Gruner Baum hotel has half-price cocktails between 8-10PM which is a very usefully timed happy hour! Avoid the Diele Bar and certainly don't drink their beer! Guaranteed hangover after just 1....
latest report
Just checking, sorry if it’s been answered, we are off to Kaprun in a couple of weeks, B&B; are restaurants and bars open?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy