Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tests Required for Skiing in Bulgaria

Poster: A snowHead
Myself and the twins are booked to go to Bulgaria On 2/1/2022.

Now that Bulgaria is one of the few places left open for skiing in Europe, I thought I'd post the results of my research, if it's wrong or anything else needs to be added then just say so.

This is a rough guide and should not be taken as gospel, double check yourself.

--------------------

Passenger Locator Forms:

Bulgaria doesn't require you to complete a PLF.
The UK will require you to complete a PLF before returning to the UK.

Tests:

Before you go.
11 and younger - no test required.
Unvaccinated 12 and over - PCR tests to be taken within 72 hours prior to departure, results to be shown at airport.
Fully vaccinated - no pre departure tests required, though NHS certs with QR code(s) printed or on the NHS app to show at the airport.

Whilst there.
All 12 and over to take a LFT within 48 hours prior to return to UK, Book and pay for *before* you travel, TAKE IT WITH YOU, once tested send image of cassette to issuing company, they will email a certificate that you are fit to return, you'll need this at Sofia airport.

Back in the UK.
All *5* and over (England, Wales, NI), *11* and over (Scotland) to take a 'Day 2' PCR test within 48 hours of arriving back in the UK. You need to order the 'Day 2' BEFORE you GO to Bulgaria, because you'll need the registration code to put on the UK Passenger Locator Form that needs to be filled in within 48 hours *prior* to arrival in the UK. The 'Day 2' won't be sent to you until you return to the UK.

--------------------

If this is all wrong, and you end up in a gulag for 30 years, then it's not my fault.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
marodo2712 wrote:

If this is all wrong, and you end up in a gulag for 30 years, then it's not my fault.

Laughing Laughing Laughing

That properly made me laugh!

Hope your plans work out!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Heading to Borovets on Boxing Day, been waiting all week for Bulgaria to tighten up the entry requirements, but no news as of yet - the above is my understanding of what's required as of today (24th)
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@psenior1,

We're going to Borovets as well, please give me a heads up here if anything I might need to know.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the info, I have a couple of 9 year old twins and normally take them to France but obviously that isn’t gonna happen this year so thinking of Bulgaria, does anyone have any recommendations on resorts etc? Thanks
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Just on way back from borovets .. can confirm the above info is correct … just don’t get drunk and try and complete the passenger locator form. Borovets was great for a week .. got lucky with the conditions
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If going to borovets make sure your hotel is near the slopes … Rila or festa winter palace
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
& don't forget to nod for no & shake for yes.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Currently transferring by coach to the resort, they did check the vax and PCR info at both ends, in Sophia it’s done just before baggage reclaim.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@psenior1,

What's it like there?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Limited ski area but perfectably acceptable… when the conditions are good it’s great - it was snowing when we arrived. Bit of a pain as the two areas are not linked so you have to walk to the gondola in the morning. Better than no skiing - have heard of long queues when busy … but we had no issues - night skiing was fun and everything was fairly cheap. Food was good - plenty of variety though we found the fact they like their food like warm a bit weird
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@marodo2712, not bad, warm temps today so a little slushy and slippy in the afternoon on the very lower slopes, higher up the mountain was fine though, lots of fresh snow at the top. Surprisingly strict on the covid measures which is very reassuring, both in the town, Gondola and in the hotel.

Queues were good all day today on all the lifts, slopes busy (for Borovets) but still plenty of room for everyone
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@psenior1,

Any chance you could let me know the accurate local weather forecast for next week, so I know what goggles to bring/carry.

The weather apps are a bit vague.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@marodo2712, will do no probs
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Yes the lukewarm good thing is really odd.

Are pistes any better prepared these days as they were awful when we went years ago; pretty dangerous in fact
snow conditions
Pistes were fine… some choppy runs after the snow and after the snow making but nothing too atrocious
latest report
@psenior1,

Sorry to bother you again.

What's the best way to buy things in Borovets? Contactless, chip and pin, Euros, Lev's?

Can I just coast on my debit card?
snow report
@marodo2712, some places reluctantly take cards but cash is definitely the best way. I use the cash point on the left side of the Rila hotel front or the one opposite the Aldo supermarket, they don’t charge you for withdrawals unlike the blue or yellow machines. Happy to answer any other questions you have so fire away Very Happy
latest report
Return Ready to fly test.

Instead of taking my own tests from UK with me I see there is testing avail at Sophia airport - approx £20 for a LatFlow to get back into UK.

Anybody us this instead?
snow conditions
@earl, not used it, but it was open when we came through, just on the right in the arrivals hall
snow conditions
@psenior1,

Thanks for the info.

What's the score with the night skiing? Extra cost? What time is it open until?

Sorry for milking you so shamelessly, but I like to know as much as possible before I go anywhere.
snow conditions
@marodo2712, no probs, nice to be able to help someone else on here for a change, rather than me asking the q’s!

Night skiing is really good, only one 6 person lift open bits it’s pretty quick, not a huge selection of runs but enough for a couple of hours at least. Cost is 40 Lev’s for an adult and 26 for a child (up to 13), so about £18 for me. Runs from 18.30 til 22.30…

We did it yesterday which was a mistake, Bulgarian bank holiday and it was no quieter than a normal daytime, usually it’s pretty quiet, especially after 9pm.

If you’re happy to ski red runs and the gondola queue is big in the morning, jump in a taxi, which wait on the corner opposite, ask for the Yastrobeets express, should cost you less than a fiver. They’ll drop you off at the yastrobeets express lift, take that and ski down following the signs to the gondola midway station. Jump on the gondola there to the top, missing the queues. Alternatively if you’ve got you’re own car, you can drive to the express and park on the road, which is what we did last time we were here.
snow conditions
@psenior1,

Cheers!
snow report
Just jumped on the Balkanholidays website.

The Bristol to Sophia flight on the 2nd Jan has only around 6 pre booked seats. Gulp!

Is everyone staying away from B.?
latest report
Just pinged by test and trace from the TUI flight on the 26th - but thankfully only have to take lateral flows. Whilst the Bulgarian's are seemingly taking covid seriously, several brits on our trips were making a show of not wearing face masks ....should have expected it really. The hotel we stayed out had free face masks and gloves for the buffet - seems it's too much for some people!
ski holidays
Back a couple of days ago from a great trip to Borovets, @marodo2712 hope you are having a good time and the temps aren't causing too many probs, got a bit slushy a couple of the days on the Rila side of the mountain.

It was announced yesterday that anyone travelling to Bulgaria from a red list country like the UK will need a PCR test within 72 hrs, more expense and another hoop to jump through, though I am surprised they didn't introduce this before Xmas.

https://sofiaglobe.com/2022/01/04/bulgaria-to-step-up-rules-for-entry-from-red-zone-countries/
snow conditions
@psenior.
Is the tap water drinkable in Borovets?
ski holidays
earl wrote:
@psenior.
Is the tap water drinkable in Borovets?

Yes, really rather nice too.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Good to hear as I've downed many litres over the last few days.

And yes - it's really nice!!!
latest report
@psenior1,

It is a bit warm on the Rila side, but it's still skiable. The Yastrebets side is more alpine, and the gondola even had to be closed for a short while because if the wind. My kids, with only 2.5 days if tuition had to ski to the mid station - their instructor was most impressed.
latest report
@earl, @marodo2712,

Glad to hear you're having a good trip, wish I was back there!! The water is drinkable, though I tend to stick to bottled most of the time.

I'm due to go back in a few weeks with my youngest two, though that could now be in doubt if I cant get the 13yr old her second jab in time.
ski holidays
@psenior1,

Quote:

could now be in doubt if I cant get the 13yr old her second jab in time.

You just need a negative PCR within three days prior to departure don't you? The number of jabs is irrelevant isn't it?
latest report
@marodo2712, according to the new rules that come in on the 7th anyone from a red list country needs a vaccination certificate and have a PCR test, I’m hoping kids are an exception but there’s no mention of that yet.
snow conditions
Thabks for all the answers in the thread.
I am going at the end if Feb but looking at the piste map there are lots of brown lines that say connections.

What are these?
latest report
@Ghostlybadge, they’re connecting ski ways, wide ski’able paths essentially, a couple are quite flat, ok on ski’s but not so much fun for boarders.
snow conditions
Today - they were looking very very brown
snow report
My other half (unvaccinated so she can’t come) has given me permission to attempt at trying to get some skiing in this year. Bulgaria is the only option as I’ll be paying single person supplement (no one else will commit) 22 Jan is the only opportunity I get, does anyone know if the restaurants, mountain cafe’s etc are open in Borovets?
snow report
Everything was open last week. Mountain cafes had plenty of outdoor seating with table service.
snow conditions
earl wrote:
Everything was open last week. Mountain cafes had plenty of outdoor seating with table service.

Was the Snowpark opened? Thanks.
ski holidays
The plan was for the snow park to open on the 15th, no idea if that’s still the case
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy