Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Gaining ski qualifications ADVICE NEEDED

Poster: A snowHead
Hi -
I'm a 19 year old skiier looking to acquire a working visa that will allow me to travel to Austria and complete the Anwarter qualification. Brexit has hugely complicated this process and I cannot seem to uncover any route to gaining the sufficient documents other than applying for a Visa D with the Austrian embassy. If anyone can provide me with guidance or any recommendations to help me with this it would be appreciated.
In addition, I just want to ask in general about what ski qualifications are worth earning, and how I should go about getting these. I've been skiing for a large part of my life and would love to teach for a couple seasons in the future. If anyone has any advice towards this it would help greatly.
Cheers,
Evan.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi @EvanThomas24, as far as I'm aware in Tirol you do not need a job offer/ski school sponsorship to do the Anwärter (as you would in Salzburg, I believe) so you should not need a work visa or permit to simply do the course as you can do it in way under the allowed 90 in 180 days. In Salzburg presumably you would, as you could not get the ski school job sponsorship needed (if that's still required?) as a pre-requisite.

Of course actually teaching is a different matter and you would need a visa and work permit. Unfortunately unless you had already established your residency here before the end of 2020 this is likely to be difficult, and presumably the only option will be to go through the embassy as you say above. Given there are so many Austrian and EU ski instructors already here, I think it may be a challenge to demonstrate that the job cannot be fulfilled from the local supply, but the only way to find out is to try!

It is so so sad that opportunities like this have been taken from your generation.

If this is something you are considering for only a few seasons, you might actually find it easier on a working holiday type visa in Canada?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for the reply @clarky999. It seems like I would be able to work towards my qualifications without any documentation, however once I've earnt these moving onto a work in a European ski school appears extremely difficult. Instead, I was looking into earning my Anwarter in Austria, then utilising this in a subsequent season in a non-European country where the Anwarter qualification applies, like Japan or Canada.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@EvanThomas24, my stepson spent his first northern hemisphere winter teaching in Japan. He had just passed his BASI L2 aged 18 and that was more than enough to get him the job. He worked for Evergreen Outdoor centre in Hakuba https://www.evergreen-hakuba.com/ . Despite Covid, it might be worth checking them out if you are keen to get working after getting your basic qualifications. He went to Japan on a working holiday visa (so despite having a firm job offer,I think it was a bit of a fudge).
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
EvanThomas24 wrote:
Hi -
I'm a 19 year old skiier looking to acquire a working visa that will allow me to travel to Austria and complete the Anwarter qualification. Brexit has hugely complicated this process and I cannot seem to uncover any route to gaining the sufficient documents other than applying for a Visa D with the Austrian embassy. If anyone can provide me with guidance or any recommendations to help me with this it would be appreciated.
In addition, I just want to ask in general about what ski qualifications are worth earning, and how I should go about getting these. I've been skiing for a large part of my life and would love to teach for a couple seasons in the future. If anyone has any advice towards this it would help greatly.
Cheers,
Evan.

The best possible advice for somebody of your age is to a) find a local dry ski slope in the UK; b) learn to race slalom. There are a range of ski racing tests built into the continental system, which are often the largest barriers to UK skiers.

You are young enough, and can be fit enough, to pass these with ease. It will not be simple to do so if you wait until you are mid-late twenties or later.

Once you are in a club, you might well also find that you enjoy e.g. Summer/Autumn training trips to European glaciers. Dry slope (or fridge) ski racing in the UK will also give you a much stronger technical base than the average skier, and you may well enjoy it more than teaching others, which after all might be rather dull!

p.s. Apologies if you are already a junior UK team skier or something, good luck snowHead
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Or he could go for a CSIA qualification.
Which doesn't require race training to become an instructor.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It is possible to do an internship according to at least one of the Austrian training companies (can't remember which), that comprised of 3 months course and 3 months work. I believe this was just for Anwarter as I don't think you could make most rec skier skiers gates and off piste anywhere near well enough for Landeslehrer in 3 months. This is probably expensive too. I do know of 2 Brit instructors working locally who have obtained work permits but these are only valid until end of Feb. They are both long standing employees of the Ski Schools they are working for and the schools were prepared to do the legwork required regarding advertising etc to make it happen. I don't think a Ski School would do that for someone new.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@EvanThomas24, Welcome to Snowheads.

Ski Instructor Academy in Austria offer a good package: https://www.siaaustria.com/product/ski-instructor-courses-austria/, although note the caveat on working in the EU as mentioned in other posts. Strangely, my Ski School is actually short of instructors for peak periods this year. Puzzled

My 19 yr old daughter already had her BASI 1 Licence but opted to go with "Wearesno.com" instead and is now having a great time in Silver Star working as an instructor for the season and getting her CSIA Level 1 and 2. https://wearesno.com/ski-instructor-courses/

If those options are too expensive and you can't earn money between now and next season then you could do a lot worse then spending what you do have in a Fridge and doing your BASI 1 on home turf.

Don't forget that after your Level 1 course you will have to work a number of hours before your licence is granted.

Good luck.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
To my knowledge the CSIA and the Anwarter both dont require race training to become an instructor, I think that is mainly the BASI. ATM I'm looking more towards the Anwarter simply because I've found the Ski Instructor Academy which offers the qualification over a month course, after which I have the potential for employment outside of Europe.
I looked into BASI but with Brexit it doesnt seem as viable as other qualifications which open up opportunities for seasons outside of Europe.
Would people recommend gaining the Anwarter through the SIA? Or is it more worth my time to work towards CSIA? I'm not well versed on the subject so I find it hard to differentiate between the two.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Perty Was he able to get his BASI L2 while in the UK?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@EvanThomas24, you don't need any race training for Anwarter.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
EvanThomas24 wrote:
To my knowledge the CSIA and the Anwarter both dont require race training to become an instructor, I think that is mainly the BASI. ATM I'm looking more towards the Anwarter simply because I've found the Ski Instructor Academy which offers the qualification over a month course, after which I have the potential for employment outside of Europe.
I looked into BASI but with Brexit it doesnt seem as viable as other qualifications which open up opportunities for seasons outside of Europe.
Would people recommend gaining the Anwarter through the SIA? Or is it more worth my time to work towards CSIA? I'm not well versed on the subject so I find it hard to differentiate between the two.

The ISIA levels 1&2 do not require any race training. Once you move to Levels 3 & 4 it depends on which national scheme you follow. BASI is/was (!) primarily set up to enable Level III and IV to operate in France where the French insist on a "Speed Test" to reach the top levels. In Austria the speed test (also known as the Eurotest) is required to pass part 2 of the level III "Landesskilehrer 2". Can't comment on the other nations, but up to Level II it doesn't really matter which scheme you go for.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I should say that my comment (as an over-the-hill 40 year old!) is based upon what I wished I knew when I was 19. Some say that this sort of advice is the most useful Razz

If you want to reach the highest levels in ski instruction (i.e. you dream of making a living from it), then you need to start ski racing. The level required is not enormously high, but can be extremely challenging for those who come to it later in life. I've personally seen multiple British skiers who had the time, money and will to become ski instructors later in life, but simply could not pass this barrier. If you are serious, start now.

In addition, you will find that the continental system (i.e. the places you want to work), has huge respect for people who have done ski racing in the past. Dipping a toe in this (fabulous) sport will open doors in the future in places where you least expect it.

Did I mention that it is one of the most fun things which you can do on skis? snowHead Seriously, you will love it, and meet some very welcoming people in the process.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@EvanThomas24, he did his L1 and L2 in NZ. FWIW, Evergreen worked really well for him as an 18 year old. The ski school provided basic accommodation and food, he gained huge experience, had a great time, and it set him up for working all over the place. He did back to back seasons in the northern hemisphere (USA, Zermatt, Japan) and NZ. He got as far as passing his L3 tech (by then, easily), but then COVID came and put a big spanner in the works…He was coaching freeride in NZ, filming and competing in FWT Qualifiers by then and had job offers in NZ he couldn’t take (and still does). Instructing isn’t his thing really, but if it hadn’t been for COVID, I think he’d have found a permanent job in the NZ ski world.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
For all those saying to practice racing -
I've done bits of racing in the past but have never committeed fully to it. How would I go about getting into this? For context, I've got around 15-20 weeks of skiing and a couple weeks of racing practice.
latest report
@EvanThomas24, I'm semi in your shoes, semi not.

For starters i'm a bit older at 31, but am currently L1 qualified with IASI.

https://iasisnowsports.ie/

I agree with @JamesHJ, re race training, if you think you want to get beyond level 2. I've started this since October 2021 at my local club, which is at Gloucester ski centre. Your best bet to finding a local club is via this website:

https://www.snowsportengland.org.uk/clubs-facilities/

If you're looking to work somewhere like Canada, then i'd argue there's not much point in doing the Austrian qualification. For starters you'll need to speak German. Why bother when you can do a BASI or IASI course in English? (unless you can already speak German?)

A level 1 course can be done in the UK for both BASI and IASI, so that saves money, and then after some teaching/shadowing you can do a level 2 course abroad in either 1 or 2 weeks depending on which qualification you choose.

From there, you've then got enough of a qualification to work in Canada or Japan.

Just my thoughts, I have tried to document my journey so far here:

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=155699&highlight=

Feel free to drop me a PM on any of this if you want.
ski holidays
swskier wrote:
@EvanThomas24 If you're looking to work somewhere like Canada, then i'd argue there's not much point in doing the Austrian qualification. For starters you'll need to speak German. Why bother when you can do a BASI or IASI course in English? (unless you can already speak German?)

The SIA course I referred to earlier does NOT require you to speak German.
ski holidays
@EvanThomas24, welcome to snowHeads snowHead

You could try sending a pm to Timberwolf. His son has just done exactly the same thing in Radstadt and he may well be happy to share how his son accomplished the process. He’s a lovely guy and I’m sure he’d be only too happy to help.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy