Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Selva difficulty?

Poster: A snowHead
My first time skiing Italy this weekend. How do the runs compare to other places? I skiid a black in Bansko, and a few reds in Ischgl & Val D’isere, but mainly blues, would they be similar levels in Selva?

Also, is there many places to grab a beer and some food in the mountain for a blue skier to get to/back from? Going with my father for his birthday and he hasn’t skiid before so I want to make sure I can get him to a few nice spots on the mountains..

Staying next to the Nives lift.

Also - Is there anywhere to watch the football around here?

Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

he hasn’t skiid before

Please don’t get too ambitious on his behalf. He could get hurt.

Splash some cash on group lessons for him in the mornings.
Enjoy
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
*edit - He skiid a couple times in high school Smile lol

Already booked lessons. And will only look to take him on a few blues if he learns quickly.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@nba2005uk, There are many many eating places on the slopes (yet to find a bad one..)

If you have skied reds before, you should be ok on the Selva ones (note - they can get churned up in the PM)
Watch football -- Greens on the main street or Saltos bar (next to the ski school offices)
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
There's no real consistency between run gradings across resorts, but anecdotally I'd say the reds in Selva are probably not as hard as the reds in Val d'Isere.

There are tons of good places to eat on the mountain. I like Jimmy's hut near the top of Dantercepies. It's a red run back down, not a tough one but would be way too much for a beginner though. I think there were quite a few places around Ciamponoi but I can't recall any specific one, they all seemed good Smile

It would be worth heading across the the Seiser Alm with a beginner - they claim to have a lot of reds there, they're not, they're all blue, and the ones they claim to be blue are very, very tame. It's possible to ski there but with a beginner it would be much better to take the bus to Ortisei and go direct to the Seiser Alm from there.

Quick additional tip - if you are skiing on your own, i.e. without a beginner, I would recommend the trip to Ortisei on skis, via St Christina. It is some of the most spectacular scenery you can imagine, and it's all on excellent pistes (mainly red I think). Depending on the legs you can either reverse the trip or get the bus back Smile
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

How do the runs compare to other places

Generally easier IMHO

I recall our second trip to the area with the kids a while back. Me and the wife stopped at the split above a ' black run' to argue about whether the kids were up to it. I extended thr argument for a while as I could see over her shoulder that the 8 year old had already set off down the Black and his little brother was happily exploring the off piste alongside the black

Once they were far enough down for a fait a compli I concluded the redundant discussion and we went after them. They were fine as it was pretty mellow.

I wouldn't have done that in Tignes, La Plagne or St Anton. No way.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@nba2005uk,

The easier runs in Selva:

- Start on the various blue slopes immediately above and including Nives, where you're based, to build confidence, before progressing elsewhere.

- Various blue slopes beneath the Saslonch mountain accessed from three chairs: Comici (Rifugio Comici is a great lunch spot, spectaular view of the Sella Massif), Sotsasling, and Gran Paradiso, but unless you're prepared to ski a tricky red to get there, you're best taking a bus from Selva town centre to Plan de Gralba and then taking the Piz Seteur gondola, getting out at the mid-station.

- Fabulous 3km-long easy blue from top of Gran Paradiso all the way to Plan de Gralba: Blue Città dei Sassi (city of stones) (with an optional stop for lunch/beer at the Passo Sella restaurant on the Sella Pass - often live music on the sunny terrace), followed by Sas Betis, then Schiappen-Sella.

(To get back from Plan de Gralba to Selva, you need to take a blue, red, blue. The red section can be a bit tricky (but not as bad as Val d'Isere red). Alternatively, take the bus back.)

- From top of Comici: red Tramans over the back, then blue Charly to Monte Pana, where the blue nursery slopes of Santa Cristina are located. Coming back, take Charly to Tramans chair, then red Piz Sella 5 to Plan de Gralba (can be busy). Alternatively, get Monte Pana chair lift down (one of the few chairs you can descend) and take a bus back to Selva. (Double check where the bus goes from.)

Easier runs further afield:

- Bus to Santa Cristina, Gherdeina Ronda underground train to Plan de Tieja, gondola to Col Raiser gives access to south-facing sunny blue runs. As confidence develops, take the Fermeda chair up (past the excellent Fermeda pizzeria - best wood-fired pizzas I've ever eaten anywhere!) to Seceda and ski reds back to the underground train. Or, for a longer jaunt, take the 11km red La Longia down to Ortisei/St Ulrich - a very memorable run (as Sah also recomended). You can either take the gondola & cable car back to Seceda and ski down to St Cristina, or take the bus from Ortisei if you're done!

- Seiser Alm/Alpe di Siusi is arguably the best area for beginners (or Alta Badia), but unfortunately it is the furthest away from where you're based. The quickest way would be bus to Ortisei and gondola to Mont Seuc. You could do the same in reverse, or better still, ski to Saltria via Goldknopf and then get the mountain bus (with snow tyres, cash only, not covered by the lift pass, look up bus times and get there early) back to Monte Pana and follow route described above. If you make it over there, I recommend the Gostner Schwaige restaurant for local cuisine, (kaiserschmarrn for dessert) but it's best to book. If you do go, then go later in the week when your dad is a bit speedier, because you'll get more out of the trip, and set off promptly.

Lift pass: I would suggest the Val Gardena / Alpe di Siusi lift pass will probably be sufficient and covers all of the above areas. But if you want to ski over the Gardena pass to Colfosco (a lovely run) and beyond, or over the Sella pass and down into the Val di Fassa, you would need the more expensive Dolimiti Superski pass.

Place names: As you'll discover, place names have multiple variants (in Ladin, German, and Italian), which can be a bit confusing (e.g. Selva di Val Gardena = Wolkenstein in Gröden, or Saslonch = Sassolungo = Langkofel). And if you've been practising on Duolingo ahead of your trip, I hope you chose German (which is more dominant in Sud Tirol) rather than Italian!

Dinner in Selva: the Restaurant Pizzeria Sal Fëur was pretty good, as was La Stua Aprés Ski (lively bar/restaurant). Restaurant Pizzeria Sun Valley Stübele looked good, but we could never get in. If you're going at a busy time (e.g. Carnivale), you might want to book restaurants a week or two ahead.

One last recommendation for a mountain restaurant: Baita Saslonch Hutte just below Ciampinoi. Great food and craft beer. But it's in red and black run territory!

If you like sport, you might catch an ice hockey match at the Sportstadion Pranives.

Have a great time!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Scrunch77, lots of useful info but looking at the original post I suspect @nba2005uk has been and returned already.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Scrunch77, Nice post.....

The OP should be back home by now -- Hope they return and let us know how they got on.....
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Doh! Confused
Hopefully it will be of use to someone else!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Scrunch77, Be assured, it is....
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ive just got back from my first time in Selva, and even though I loved it and thought the pistes were great....

Id say the run gradings are the easiest ive encountered most runs can be downgraded, black to red, red to blue id say.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Sarny wrote:
ive just got back from my first time in Selva, and even though I loved it and thought the pistes were great....

Id say the run gradings are the easiest ive encountered most runs can be downgraded, black to red, red to blue id say.

I would agree to a point but
That's fine for last week when it was constantly sunny and very little in the way of bumps forming later in the day.
Same runs on a snowy / windy day are a different ball game
There are all sorts of factors and inconsistency's that go into grading runs everywhere
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
nba2005uk wrote:
My first time skiing Italy this weekend. How do the runs compare to other places? I skiid a black in Bansko, and a few reds in Ischgl & Val D’isere, but mainly blues, would they be similar levels in Selva?

Also, is there many places to grab a beer and some food in the mountain for a blue skier to get to/back from? Going with my father for his birthday and he hasn’t skiid before so I want to make sure I can get him to a few nice spots on the mountains..

Staying next to the Nives lift.

Also - Is there anywhere to watch the football around here?

Thanks

If your looking for blues, head over to dantercepies and corvara clockwise or Val de fassa clockwise. Also in selva don't be put off by the black Saslong, it's easier than the red next to it.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Val de fassa is anti-clockswise sorry.
ski holidays
Garfield wrote:
Sarny wrote:

I would agree to a point but
That's fine for last week when it was constantly sunny and very little in the way of bumps forming later in the day.
Same runs on a snowy / windy day are a different ball game
There are all sorts of factors and inconsistency's that go into grading runs everywhere

tru goes without saying, theyre mostly quite wide though that does help and nothing mega steep
snow conditions
Some great information there no doubt it’ll be helpful for the next person….
I returned a few days ago and loved it.

We did the Nives area, Monte Pana, Plan De Gralba & Alpe di Suisi. My favourite was Plan De Gralba (felt their were more choice). Alpe Di Suisi was a little difficult to navigate with a beginner i found.

My father hurt his rib so took two days off and I skiid the Sella Ronda both of those days. I’ve only ever skiid one black run before and that was in Bansko, yet I skiid a bunch of blacks on this trip. I’d agree with runs were easier here than some other resorts I’d been to. The black/red run back to La Stua/ciampinoi lift was amazing.

Perfect conditions we barely seen a cloud in the sky for a week and the slopes were awesome.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy