Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Timing the PCR test for Austria entry

Poster: A snowHead
I’m trying to work out exactly when I need to get my PCR test completed so that I can conform to the 48 hour rule entry.

As we’ve already seen at Innsbruck Airport timing is everything. I’m planning to use C19 testing and do a DIY PCR test and send it to them for processing.

On the Austria.info website it says:-

“The 72 hours / 48 hours are calculated from when the test was administered.” I'm in the UK so its 48 hours.

Does administered mean when lab tested the result or when you yourself took the sample. On a typical C19 certificate it reports both but its crucial to know which date the border guards refer to.

Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
When the sample was taken.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
clarky999 wrote:

Thanks clarky999, that's Austria out then. Over to Switzerland
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you use a Randox one and put it in a drop box the results should be back the next day which leaves enough time.

Has anyone confirmed if they check the result against departure time or arrival time in Austria?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Adam9, arrival time - the people returned from Innsbruck were late, and went over their expiry time by ~20 minutes in some cases, plus border police don’t seem to be capable of handling time zones, eg a test taken at 1100 GMT on Friday is still valid at 1130 CET on Sunday because that’s 1030 GMT, but they apparently didn’t agree.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Adam9, thanks for that tip on the Randox drop box. Just need to work out the feasibility but hopefully it could just work. Think I have to assume it's 48 hours -1, thanks @ousekjarr
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
A 1-3 hr PCR test the day before your flight is a must with Austria, using an overnight postal option leaves you almost no time to react if your result doesn't come through. It's bloody ridiculous !!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Alan1974 wrote:
clarky999 wrote:

Switzerland is only 24 hours from the antigen test being taken “On entry to Switzerland: On entering Switzerland, everyone aged 16 and over must be able to show the negative result of a PCR test (performed no more than 72 hours prior to entry) or a rapid antigen test (performed no more than 24 hours previously). Anyone unable to present a valid negative test, must take a test immediately on arrival (PCR or rapid antigen test).” https://www.bag.admin.ch/bag/en/home/krankheiten/ausbrueche-epidemien-pandemien/aktuelle-ausbrueche-epidemien/novel-cov/empfehlungen-fuer-reisende/quarantaene-einreisende.html

In practice you need to allow for flight delays and queues at passport control - so 20 hours before may give you a better chance!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Our Randox results took 25 hours: 1st Jan 9pm put in box at M25 services, 2nd Jan 10pm emailed results.

When you complete the online form you enter the time sample taken. I guess we could have put 9pm as the sample time (same sample time as being put in the box) which could have bought us another couple of hours if needed.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
We are planning to fly to Munich (triple jabbed) so no test required for the flight. Hiring a car and driving down the autobahn to Austria. Any suggestions as to getting a test on route if the Randox results don’t arrive? Is anyone going to check at the boarder or buying a ski pass?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
hi, we are having the same nightmare, worked out it has to be a lab that tests on site for us to get the results in time. WE fly from Gatwick, no 3 hr test place there, and live in Norfolk. Amazingly there's test place a mile from me in the sticks, so I have a Thursday 3pm test booked, we set off for Gatwick Friday lunch and the results should get to me midnight Friday. There's 16 of us, so if anyone is positive we'd have to leave them behind get home on the Saturday morning. Arrgghh!

if it helps, I spotted a 3hr test place at Stanstead,
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
BertieG wrote:
We are planning to fly to Munich (triple jabbed) so no test required for the flight. Hiring a car and driving down the autobahn to Austria. Any suggestions as to getting a test on route if the Randox results don’t arrive? Is anyone going to check at the boarder or buying a ski pass?

As far as im aware you wont have to show -PCR to buy a pass, just your third jab

There were nobody at the border the last few weeks at Keifersfelden on the autobahn checking/stopping anyone. I wa seven allowed to drive into Germany with my UK reg car, even though technically that wasnt allowed. Driving a german hire car shouldnt flag up anything.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
micheleperry wrote:
hi, we are having the same nightmare, worked out it has to be a lab that tests on site for us to get the results in time. WE fly from Gatwick, no 3 hr test place there, and live in Norfolk. Amazingly there's test place a mile from me in the sticks, so I have a Thursday 3pm test booked, we set off for Gatwick Friday lunch and the results should get to me midnight Friday. There's 16 of us, so if anyone is positive we'd have to leave them behind get home on the Saturday morning. Arrgghh!

What's the company you're using? I'm in Norwich and having similar trouble finding somewhere local.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
micheleperry wrote:

Yep, there are 2 3 hour test places in stansted, Randox and Collinson, Collinson seems to be the cheaper option at £66 if using the code STNTEST. There might be codes for randox as well, but haven't checked.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I had a similar issue. Live in East Sussex. Our Gatwick flight is due into Innsbruck at 5pm on Saturday. This makes a home PCR test quite difficult as at all the Randox sites within a 1 hour drive the latest collection time is 4pm or maybe 4:30pm (although most are earlier). As a Friday test is not guaranteed to be back by 4pm here/5pm Austrian time on Saturday, and a Thursday test collected at 4:30pm at the latest will not be valid as it falls outside the 48h window, it seemed to me as though in-person was the best, or only viable, option.

The Express Test Fit to Fly is £59 at Gatwick and guarantees a next-day result by 10pm. Although a bit of a pain, in the grand scheme of things it is only a 1h drive each way for me, although I appreciate that others are further away. It is the cheapest/best option for me as on-the-day tests at Gatwick are prohibitively expensive at £180 each. But it may be useful for some in this thread to at least know that you can get them, although it may be cheaper to go into one of the other 1-3h places in the south east if you have the time.

After booking my test I later learned on here that some people have said that they have taken the Randox PCR test and dispatched it, and only inputted their test time later on the App so as to comply with the 48h rule. I don't know how this works in practice.
ski holidays
I've decided I'm putting a positive slant on things despite all the current shenanigans, this time last week in order to get out to Austria I was looking at the following for four people:-

Old rules.......£60 PCR outbound / £20 LFT inbound / £55 PCR day 2 x 4 = £540

New rules......£60 PCR outbound / £20 LFT day 2 x 4 = £320

That's £220 worth of free Stiegl........well that's what I'm telling myself !
latest report
@PCcorner,
Quote:

A 1-3 hr PCR test the day before your flight is a must with Austria, using an overnight postal option leaves you almost no time to react if your result doesn't come through. It's bloody ridiculous !

This is what I'm going to do, although I'm agonising over booking the tests as the cheapest I can find locally (Leeds) is £120 and there's 3 of us, so if I spend £360 only for the Austrian govt to follow the UK and drop to just needing LFTs I will be a bit annoyed...
snow report
PCcorner wrote:
I've decided I'm putting a positive slant on things despite all the current shenanigans, this time last week in order to get out to Austria I was looking at the following for four people:-

Simplytestme is only £12 for day 2 LFT, I've used them twice and have been fine. So that's another £32 of Stiegl for you!
latest report
musehead wrote:
PCcorner wrote:

Simplytestme is only £12 for day 2 LFT, I've used them twice and have been fine. So that's another £32 of Stiegl for you!

Great shout, cheers
ski holidays
Traveling to St Anton on the 15th, i'm using the collinson drive through centre at Manchester airport going to do the 3 hour PCR test which is £66 with the discount code MANTEST. It does mean of course a round trip to airport from West Yorkshire the day before doing it all again the following day but i've used them before they seem pretty reliable. It will also means that my pre-departure test will be valid until Sunday afternoon given plenty of margin for delays.
latest report
For me on the 15th landing at 6:30pm, I have booked a 12-14 hour PCR test at Randox Glasgow at 5:50pm on the 14th. Should have a result by 8am on Saturday giving me a slight chance of getting a 1-3 hour one somewhere locally in the event the result isn't through by then in time for my 3:10pm flight departure... Also should be valid until Sunday in case of delay.
ski holidays
andyblackman wrote:
micheleperry wrote:

What's the company you're using? I'm in Norwich and having similar trouble finding somewhere local.

In Norwich it will depend on your flight times. If you land BEFORE 12 midday in Austria, then the ~£70 next day test at Norwich Airport will work for you. Unfortunately if you land AFTER midday that will be no good (they only guarantee next day results for tests before midday; after midday tests are guaranteed the day after the following day, but this will probably fall outside the 48 hour of time of landing window).

I used https://www.physiowork.co.uk in Norwich for the second time today. I'll report back how it goes... First time on 28th Dec I had the result by 10am the next day, but it was (apparently false; long story) positive. But be aware their last testing slot is 3:45pm, so depending on your flight time it can be tricky to guarantee getting the results in time AND meeting the 48 hour before landing window.

Also flying out of Gatwick btw.
ski holidays
Alan1974 wrote:
I’m trying to work out exactly when I need to get my PCR test completed so that I can conform to the 48 hour rule entry.

As we’ve already seen at Innsbruck Airport timing is everything. I’m planning to use C19 testing and do a DIY PCR test and send it to them for processing.

On the Austria.info website it says:-

“The 72 hours / 48 hours are calculated from when the test was administered.” I'm in the UK so its 48 hours.

Does administered mean when lab tested the result or when you yourself took the sample. On a typical C19 certificate it reports both but its crucial to know which date the border guards refer to.

Thanks

If still applicable mid Feb I’m going to do a drive through 3 hour test at Stansted. Seems a reasonable price (£80) compared with other same day tests and Randox drop box ones. Most tests I find only AIM for results by midnight and I fly at 7:15 from LHR…
snow report
Hi, someone asked me about who I'm using in Norwich, it's Anglia DNA https://covidfit2fly.com/ they do a next day by midnight text for £75. They're based on the Scottow business park, just outside of Coltishall/Baddersfield. Do obviously check the timings with them first!

Some others form our group are using the airport one.
latest report
@Russeh, This is really helpful, and thanks very much! Just booked my tests for my party of 3 and using your code it's come in at £198, so even with the slog over the hill to Manchester from Leeds it's a much cheaper option.
snow report
We did the Collinson “3hr” drive through test at EMA today prior to flying BHX-INN tomorrow. (We both came up negative. No great surprise but massive relief!!!)

Tests done (as per result certificate) 14:07. Result given 16:36.

Test lady was of the opinion that if you need 48 hr result you’d be “brave” to do anything other than the “3hr” test…

If you’re using the Collision sites at ENA use code EMATEST for a decent discount.
snow conditions
@Alan1974, fwiw, I've just flown back from Innsbruck. Regardless of what the 'rules' might be, a preceding passenger from the UK was denied entry to Austria, and held up our departure as the authorities wanted to send him back on the next plane. The reasons we were given was due to 'inadequate' COVID paperwork.
I'd suggest playing it safe....
ski holidays
@LukeRibs you can pay £198 for one test with some places, definitely worth the effort for the 3 hour result though. By the way you don't have to wait you just drive through do the tests and drive away. They email you the result so dead easy. Also the test site right next to the Premier Inns on Runger Lane, you leave the motorway on the next junction after the one sign posted for the terminals.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi all. What a nightmare.
Anyone got any experiences of driving to Austria, with regards to testing?
How did the timings work out once you'd taken the test? Was it a drop-in or a home kit?

The best plan I've come up with so far is to get a 3hr Collinson/Randox at Heathrow, on the way down to a late tunnel. Then sit at Clacket Lane waiting for the result.
This gets me into France, where we overnight. The next morning I've got roughly 6 to 8 hours to get to Switzerland/Germany, and 30ish hours to get to Austria.
I presume there'll be a border check at FRA:SWI, but what about GER:AUT?

I think it's doable, but has anyone gone through a similar experience?
snow conditions
@DickyMint, not normally border checks GER:AUT. Given that you are mentioning going via France I guess this trip isn't imminent so rules may well change but it certainly isn't going to take 30 hours to get to Austria. Another alternative seeing as you likely pass both is a 3 hour test at Frankfurt or Munich airports.
snow report
oui4ski wrote:
Alan1974 wrote:
clarky999 wrote:

Switzerland is only 24 hours from the antigen test being taken “On entry to Switzerland: On entering Switzerland, everyone aged 16 and over must be able to show the negative result of a PCR test (performed no more than 72 hours prior to entry) or a rapid antigen test (performed no more than 24 hours previously). Anyone unable to present a valid negative test, must take a test immediately on arrival (PCR or rapid antigen test).” https://www.bag.admin.ch/bag/en/home/krankheiten/ausbrueche-epidemien-pandemien/aktuelle-ausbrueche-epidemien/novel-cov/empfehlungen-fuer-reisende/quarantaene-einreisende.html

In practice you need to allow for flight delays and queues at passport control - so 20 hours before may give you a better chance!

Following a flight delay we arrived in Geneva (on 2and Jan) 24 hours and 30 minutes after our LFTs were taken. When we were asked at the border for our test results I zoomed in on the negative result and showed that to the official. I then did the same thing for Mrs B.

We were waved through Very Happy Very Happy . Mind, it was a bit stressful.... rolling eyes
snow report
I have arrived in Obergurgl today via Innsbruck, customs looked at but did not scan my nhs vaccine pass and pcr certification. I can tell you for certain he didn’t look at it long enough to know what time I had it taken or even the result Blush just the fact it existed. They did however check the documents properly in Manchester as part of bag drop
ski holidays
Great news that you got to Obergurgl, one of my fav places to ski. Hope the Nederhutte manages to stay open somehow for a bit of fun. Thanks for reassuring us that it is possible to get into Austria!

My paper covid pass arrived today, I plan on keeping it in my coat pocket all week just in case my phone runs out to show the qr code.
snow conditions
@heyduggeesskiingbadge, Thanks for that feedback, flying to Innsbruck tomorrow morning out of Manchester with easyJet and on to Obergurgl by taxi with four of our friend's. We had our tests done late afternoon yesterday so valid untill 16.30 CET Sunday. Flight arrives just before noon CET so we have a safety margin of 4 and a half hours if there is a delay. Praying that our flight is on time as we had a 12 hour delay coming out of Turin 2 weeks ago after skiing the Monte Rosa area. Enjoy your trip.
snow report
Russeh wrote:
Traveling to St Anton on the 15th, i'm using the collinson drive through centre at Manchester airport going to do the 3 hour PCR test which is £66 with the discount code MANTEST. It does mean of course a round trip to airport from West Yorkshire the day before doing it all again the following day but i've used them before they seem pretty reliable. It will also means that my pre-departure test will be valid until Sunday afternoon given plenty of margin for delays.

Be interested to know how you get on - we’re due to go to ischgl on the 29th from West Yorkshire, via Munich. So assuming we still need pcr’s to get in to Austria I’m trying to find the slickest way to do it!
latest report
@heyduggeesskiingbadge, @Snowbandit56, Hope you enjoy your trips. Glad you were able to get into Austria. We are heading out there late on 22nd and that's making the maths a bit of fun for the 48 hr window.
Let us hear how you get on, what's open etc.
Enjoy!
CW snowHead
snow report
We are off to St Anton on Sun 23 from Bristol, which makes life doubly difficult, with so few tests available on a Sat. So we are having to travel to Bristol airport on the Sat to get a 4hr test via Nuffield at £120 each, then spend a night in a hotel before our flight on Sun morning. Just another £400 added to the cost, hope it’s worth it!
latest report
We did a 24hr PCR with DAM Health in Leeds at 16:00 on the Friday, got results just after midnight (00:17 on Saturday), then flew with Jet2 from Manchester to Innsbruck on Sunday (take off 09:00, land 12:00), so had a 4 hour buffer (strictly should be 5 hours, but I wouldn't trust everyone to pay attention to timezones).

3 people didn't make the flight (bags had to be taken off), so I guess they were allowed to check-in while waiting for PCR results, but didn't get them before take-off
snow report
Arrived in Obergurgl this afternoon flights out of Manchester with Easy Jet were bang on time to the minute, arrived in Innsbruck 15 minutes early and for us personally the PCR and proof of booster were checked at check in at Manchester and through passport control at Innsbruck. Skis deposited at a ski shop adjacent to the Hotel Weisental for an edge and wax, ski passes purchased - early night tonight and good to go at 9.30 in the morning.
ski holidays
For anyone living near London, there are Randox testing centres in Waterloo, Clapham Junction and other places. We are flying at lunchtime Sat 22, so have booked the 12-14 hour tests on Friday at 9am. Slightly cheaper than the 3 hour tests (£65 vs £80) and another £5 off for Crystal/TUI customers using code TUI2021
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy