Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Which Zillertal village?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Love a bit of tobogganing! The run in Lech is lethal.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Tiefschneetaucher, all the main ski areas have big car parks right next to the gondolas, so it’s pretty painless getting to different areas if you’re using a car. Your travel plans of early Saturday arrival in resort are good. It is just one main road into the valley so on a Saturday evening it can be very slow moving. If you’re keen to get skiing quickly that’s another reason to choose Kaltenbach over Mayrhofen.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Tiefschneetaucher,
Quote:

We're hopefully off to Saalbach in February - that's one I haven't been to before so will be interesting to see how we like it!

I’d be interested in your impressions. For me it represented a considerable step up from Mayrhofen, mainly because of the skiing convenience (ski-in ski-out) and the size of the fully interlinked area, and I never felt any desire to return to the Zillertal (although I confess that, having an aversion to taking buses and trains to get to the slopes, I never explored all its possibilities).
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
RedandWhiteFlachau wrote:
@Tiefschneetaucher, It's Ski Route 11A, pretty much a ski down a track.

I've stayed in Mayrhofen 4 times now and never spotted a route down to Finkenberg! There's the one from the top of the Penken lift down to Hippach but it's normally closed when we go at New Year.

Anyway, one of my favourite places to go though, especially since the Penken gondola was upgraded and cut out much of the morning/evening queues. Keep saying that we'll do the Ahorn side, but generally there's enough for a week between Penken, Horberg, Rastkogel and Eggalm. Plus the Strass hotel by the lift is very acceptable for this old bloke that likes his home comforts Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The ski route down to Finkenberg was from the bottom for the Katzenmoos chair. However in to greater than 20 years I've been going to the Hof, I've never seen it open. Also the signage for the route was removed about ~5 years ago when the chair was updated.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@JimboS, hmm, interesting as that does trigger a vague memory of an old diamond sign at the bottom of that lift. But certainly not seen it on more recent trips, which ties in with what you said. One just for the brave these days I guess!

Was the old lift one of those 2 person jobs that didn't slow down? I definitely remember one of those being replaced elsewhere, think it was from the start of that ski route that connected you to Eggalm and had a very rustic 'Waldhutte' half way along...
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yes it was an old "fast" two man, just to the right of the main Finkenberg gandola middle station.

Must have gone down close to my yellow line below.

ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The Kristall Hütte is a great place up the mountain at Kaltenbach, and in more normal times the Postalm is a brilliant apres bar. Although a session in there can make catching the train back to Mayrhofen a bit tricky.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@ratechaser, @JimboS, I mostly use the route for going uphill in training. If you look on google maps it is still shown as Ski Route Penken 11A. I can assure you it was there in 2019 which was the last time I went up (and down it). Just becuase it isn't marked on the Piste Map doesn't mean it isn't there. There's another route down to the Gasthoff Astegg I use quite often too.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've definitely done it although it was about ten years ago.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Given I'm normally there towards the end of the season I have never wanted to risk it in case the snow ran out. I've had to do the walk of shame to get to the Hexenkessl a few times after ignoring the piste closed signs. Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
andy'n'netty wrote:
nip down to Worgl for the waterpark one day as well.
You maybe disappointed if you try this, it closed last year.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Another +1 for Kaltenbach for easy access up to slopes and across to Hochfugen and for the marvellous Kristalhutte. There is not the nightlife that there is in Mayrhofen but if that's not a problem, then this would be my recommendation.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks. My days of dancing on the bar are sadly over!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy