Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BASI L1 now 4 days

Poster: A snowHead
Just looking at course dates at Hemel and noticed that the L1 course is now 4 days rather than 5 , same price though as the 5 day course Wink .

looks like IASI L1 is still 6 days

Anyone have any knowledge of when the BASI course has been changed ? Im surprised as hadn't heard any announcements
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@skimottaret, the IASI manual says 6 days, but generally run over 5 days. Certainly my course last May/June was only 5 days.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Looks like they've added some mandatory online modules, which presumably cover what they've taken out (or are supposed to).
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Tubaski, ah that could be it...
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Is the BASI level 1 course in Hemel run by the centre themselves or another company? Would be good to know any first hand feedback from someone who’s done it.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Heather2021, All BASI courses on UK slopes are run by BASI themselves as far as I'm aware, and I'm sure they are at Hemel. If you look on the BASI website the courses organised by third parties are the ones listed here: https://www.basi.org.uk/BASI/Courses/Business_Partner_Courses.aspx - but even although those are organised by business partners they will still be delivered by a BASI trainer and have the same content and standards, the business partners just deal with the logistics and may offer add-on such as additional pre-course training / gap courses / accomodation packages etc.
I did my Ski L1 and L2 in resort with business partners, but did my Adaptive L1 at Hemel direct with BASI, and I'm sure the quality is the same. Is there something in particular you are concerned about?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@skimottaret, just noticed on the course calendar that some of the L1s are now across 2 weekends (e.g. those at Tamworth) so wonder if that was also part of the reasoning...
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
skimottaret wrote:
Just looking at course dates at Hemel and noticed that the L1 course is now 4 days rather than 5 , same price though as the 5 day course Wink .

looks like IASI L1 is still 6 days

Anyone have any knowledge of when the BASI course has been changed ? Im surprised as hadn't heard any announcements

I guess that means a L1 can be run over 2 weekends.
Great news for anyone doing a course in Snowdome, Scotland etc
No need for full week off work
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Haggis_Trap, indeed, as per my post immediately above yours!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Tubaski, that was the reason. I was booked on 4 BASI L1 courses but none went ahead because of venue switch (dome.to dry) or because numbers were not good.

By that time I'd already taken days off. This is a problem, People kept wasting holiday time.

When I mentioned it would be great if there were more weekend split courses then they said it was being discussed at the next meeting. At the meeting they said they were moving in that direction.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
^ I did a 5 day Telemark L1 which was split over 2 weekends. So just one day off work vs a whole week. Format worked well.

Ultimately BASI needs to adapt to brexit by catering for domestic snowsports as well as alpine aspirations (which for now appear distant)
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Haggis_Trap, yes, they did have some split courses in the past but they were not frequent in Snowfactor.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I noticed there was also a level 3 teach split over 2 weekends at Cairngorm
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

I did a 5 day Telemark L1 which was split over 2 weekends. So just one day off work vs a whole week. Format worked well.

So did I! That was a fun couple of weekends. Up for L2 yet @Haggis_Trap, ?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Just passed my level1 Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
@GlasgowCyclops, Well done! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
Well done @GlasgowCyclops! Where did you do it?
snow report
@Tubaski, braehead in Glasgow.
latest report
@ski, @Tubaski, thanks for the kind wishes
snow conditions
Clearly certain Swiss are not too enamored of BASI given this article on the Skipass.com website

https://www.skipass.com/mag/devenir-moniteur-monitrice-de-ski-l-avis.html

Quote:
"In England, an association called the BASI offers training corresponding broadly to what the ISIA offers. However, the BASI has a poor reputation, and even if the diploma gives the legal right to work in various countries, this does not mean that ski schools value this qualification. At level 4 of the BASI there is also a Eurotest which allows one to quite easily obtain an equivalence in France. The cost of training is particularly high and the reputation of the diploma particularly poor, which does not prevent the BASI from succeeding in obtaining a diploma recognized by the FEMPS and by the ISIA so, technically, it is probably one of the most better recognized."

(translated by Google).
snow report
@davidof, Why Swiss? The articles suggest to me that the author was going through the French system.
ski holidays
rjs wrote:
@davidof, Why Swiss? The articles suggest to me that the author was going through the French system.

He claims to be Swiss in his bio
latest report
@GlasgowCyclops, congratulations!
snow conditions
@GlasgowCyclops, congrats. Are you planning on teaching off the back of it?
latest report
davidof wrote:
Clearly certain Swiss are not too enamored of BASI given this article on the Skipass.com website

That doesn't match my experience of working within Swiss ski schools as a BASI qualified instructor. The levels 1 and 2 are not numerically equivalent, so a Swiss level 1 is somewhere between a BASI 1 and 2, but that's well understood so no-one expects them to be the same.

As far as the teaching methodology is concerned, I've seen more of the Swiss system following what BASI has been doing for longer, IYSWIM. Some parts of the Swiss 'central theme' have changed significantly over the last few years and are now much closet to what I learned with BASI starting ten years ago.

Interestingly, goven that in the PdS French- and Swiss-based instructors can teach on both sides of the border, I'd say that locally there's more disdain from the Swiss towards ESF instructors than anything else, based on comments I hear from fellow instructors. That's not based on their qualification system so much as the fact that some of them just look lazy both in their skiing and their instruction, particularly kids group lessons.

So I think that article is not fully representative of Swiss snowsports professionals in general.
latest report
Chaletbeauroc wrote:
So I think that article is not fully representative of Swiss snowsports professionals in general.

I'm sure it is not. He also gave no evidence of claimed higher cost of BASI. From what I see things are roughly equivalent between the various systems. I think he just doesn't like "les anglais"; bizarre for someone who touts himself as "woke" but still, it is just an article on a website.

Isn't the lowest Swiss level (outside of cantonal exams) the ZA? Which would be the same as a BASI L1. Then Aspirant has 4 more days than a BASI L2 plus a second language at B1 level but is probably roughly equivalent.

I have heard of Italian Maestros taking the BASI qualifs as they can get more work and money with them - probably British clients.
ski holidays
Chaletbeauroc wrote:

Interestingly, goven that in the PdS French- and Swiss-based instructors can teach on both sides of the border, I'd say that locally there's more disdain from the Swiss towards ESF instructors than anything else, based on comments I hear from fellow instructors. That's not based on their qualification system so much as the fact that some of them just look lazy both in their skiing and their instruction, particularly kids group lessons.

Do the ESF even teach kids group lessons? I assumed they just expected a crocodile to follow them around and passers by to charitably pick up kids that had fallen etc or otherwise for kids to sort themselves out wink
ski holidays
Laughing @Dave of the Marmottes,
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy