Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help needed in organising a trip!

Poster: A snowHead
Hi SH’s.

I’ve not been on here for some time, so excuse my jumping straight in.

I’m trying to organise a 3 night/4 day trip with the wife. We live near STN, so would ideally fly from there ( all LND airports considered), but struggling to find early departures and then a fairly late’ish return to maximise the slope time.

Obviously France is out of the equation, so I just wanted to get some thoughts / suggestions from you guys.

Many thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Flight times look awful tbh
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It might be worth waiting a few days to see if France comes back into the equation. Are your dates fixed?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@barthez1980, why not a late evening outbound? to my mind a much better idea than a hideously early flight ...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
bezthespaniard wrote:
Flight times look awful tbh

Aren’t they just. I’m ok with flying from all the other London airports, just that STN would be easiest
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
pam w wrote:
It might be worth waiting a few days to see if France comes back into the equation. Are your dates fixed?

We’re looking at 26/27 Jan.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
under a new name wrote:
@barthez1980, why not a late evening outbound? to my mind a much better idea than a hideously early flight ...

The extra night hotel cost and leaving the kids for another night were the main deciding factors behind the early flight reason.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
From memory there is a very early flight to Salzburg which would allow for half a days skiing on your first day. However the return flight options aren't late enough for skiing on the last day. We used to use Easyjet out of Gatwick and back with BA to allow for extra skiing at both ends of the trip BA have axed Gatwick now, so that's off.

Flying to Salzburg is a good bet for you though as there are loads of decent ski areas within an hour of the airport.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ive used ryanair stanstead to turin for weekend trips. sauze, bardonechia and briancon (when/if france opens) all about 1-2 hours away.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
SAM@WORK wrote:
ive used ryanair stanstead to turin for weekend trips. sauze, bardonechia and briancon (when/if france opens) all about 1-2 hours away.

Yes, it looks like flights to Italy (Milan and Turin) are winning the race, both for availability and convenience. Now it’s just a case of choosing where to go Very Happy

As many suggestions as possible please???? Shocked
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Any suggestions for ski Swiss resorts close to Geneva that won’t break the bank ?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@barthez1980 Nendaz or La Tzoumaz as cheaper satellites of Verbier. Or the the Val d'Annivers (St.Luc, Zinal-Grimentz). Self-cater seems the cheapest option to me. I also think it's feasible to do Verbier on a budget, but it needs more research and a degree of compromise. Once you swallow the daily ski pass at £55-£65 adult (where I admit, it's pricier, but then it's also quieter and covers 400 Kms) then for an Alpine location, I don't see CH being necessarily more expensive than France.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@barthez1980, How about something slightly different, assuming there's a romantic element to this trip? Whizz Air fly Mon-Fri Luton to Ljubljana for about £50 return. Outbound flight lands late afternoon so spend a night in LJU which around the old centre is stunning and great value. Head up to Kranjska Gora for skiing Tue-Fri Morning or swing by Lake Bled on the Friday, you won't regret it. Late afternoon flight back on the Friday.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Now looking @ Zurich and driving to Andermatt, Engleberg or Laax. Think Laax may be a bit 'snowboardy' for us. With the other 2, which has the more piste options ?. I know they have great off piste / touring options, but don't think the wife is overly keen this time around.

I'm not usually this indecisive Embarassed
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@barthez1980, Engelberg isn't great for piste skiing. It is easy to get there by train though, you don't need to hire a car.

There are places further up the valley than Laax that are not as "snowboardy", Brigels is pretty.

What turned you off Italy? Plenty of nice hotels in Courmayeur.
ski holidays
@rjs,

Courmayer - the flights aren't great to Turin. Can't fly to Geneva and cross through France. Dates are now 27th - 30th.

We'll probably look at hiring a car no matter what - wife's choice Shocked

What are your thoughts on Andermatt ?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy