Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Do I need to wind down the din setting before I store my skis?

Poster: A snowHead
Advice seems to differ. Also should I lubricate the springs? And with what? I’ll prep the bases and leave the wax on.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@CathyAuLait, Do the edges, prep the bases but leave the bindings alone.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
oh, I've always wound off my bindings against the advice of the local ski shop it has to be said. Surely as they use springs it's better to relax the tension somewhat?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@gixxerniknik, why? If the steel creeps then surely bridges would start to sag; the forces in their steel is much closer to yield point than in a binding spring.

I had a friend who had his bindings wound back for "storage" when he took them into a shop for servicing. I don't think the service people even told him this. Or he forgot. Half way through the first day skiing the binding came apart. It took us quite a while to find all the pieces over an area of snow and rebuild the binding. Leave them alone.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
No. No. And sure, if they're going to be stored where they might rust, otherwise just give them a quick tune-up before next season if you can be bothered.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Last season a friend broke his leg on the first day of the season after losing one ski and incurring a twisting fall on the other, it came out afterwards he'd wound the bindings to minimum for the off season.......
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks all, if bridges don’t sag then I’m sure my bindings won’t either. Just an edge and wax, then back in the cupboard until winter.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@gixxerniknik, any position (tension or compression) out of neutral is going to minimal when there's no boot in the binding. If, for some bizarre reason you were storing the skis with boots in the binding, then I'd wind them down, but otherwise not
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'd offer another comparison @gixxerniknik, in giving overview, have you ever slackened engine valve springs when not it use ? They're far closer to the composition etc you'll find in a binding spring.

If they changed from original specifications over time then they'd never hold their din rating in practical use. Should be fine left alone.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
On this storage issue, should I leave the bindings ready to step in or release them to an "up" position ?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@randyw, makes no difference.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Actually boot in or out makes no difference to the toe piece, but pretty sure the heel piece spring is under load when it's open, so you could store it "up" if it makes you feel better!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ok, I'm at a loss here, maybe I'm just not getting it, materials science at college was ...more years ago than I care to remember! Binding springs are under varying amounts of compression, not much if slackened off, lots if would up to the max.

Surely the bridges analogy is a slightly off....the steel that holds up bridges is under tension, that's a whole different ball game surely? . When the bridge is not being used...ie there's no traffic, then the load is minimal (obviously it still has to hold up the bridge) compared to calculated full load plus factor of safety. Not slackening off bindings would be the same as leaving the bridge full of double decker buses in the quiet period surely?
The steel in bindings is under compression (it's a spring, if a spring is kept under compression the spring rate deteriorates. If your normal DIN is 3 (say) and the bindings you use are max 20 then it probably wouldn't make a whole lot of difference, but I'm 3/4 up the scale (8.5 out of 12).

The valve springs in engines are set at different openings due to cam timing. They are not all open/shut at the same time. The main stress on valve springs is the 1500 to 10600 /4 (on my bike) times every minute that they open and close. Compare that stress to being left open overnight when the engine is out of use...not really much. Plus, when an engine comes to rest it could be anywhere in it's 4 stroke cycle meaning the stress on the valve springs at rest will even out over time. They are not all under compression at rest. One of the things that should be done when a top end rebuild is performed is measure the static length of each valve spring. (Ask any Aprilia RSV4 owner about this! Laughing )

Maybe this idea of not slackening off the bindings during the off period is because we do forget things sometimes and forgetting to reset the bindings at the start of the season would be very dangerous. Of course I'm not suggesting you don't check and set the blooming things before using them again obviously, that would just be silly. Laughing

As I say, sometimes it takes a crowbar to get an idea out of my head though! Laughing
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Completely remove bindings .
Replace with Telemark bindings.
Store without worry.
Ski.
Enjoy.
Thank me later.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@limegreen1, Laughing
snow conditions
Quote:

Completely remove bindings .
Replace with Telemark bindings.
Store without worry.
Ski.
Enjoy.
Thank me later.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
@gixxerniknik, IIRC correctly, winding them down used to be good practice, but ceased to be necessary many years ago. It's still (possibly?) beneficial, but the marginal gain you get in safety (because the DIN won't change that much) is outweighed by the risk of skiing with them unset. Bindings are certified throughout their entire DIN range, not just in the middle.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy