Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Live-ish Trip Report: 2 months in Aosta

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
@Gaz_H, we are easily confused, except that @denfinella includes useful information and mine is more stream of consciousness... Laughing
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Guys.... I'm starting to flap about the Green Pass situation.... shouldn't have read the Gov site.

Me and 2 teenagers. All vaccine x 2 and I have a booster.... all had covid too.

Certs are on the Green Pass

Do I have to do anything else?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
As long as you can show the qr codes, you're set! Very Happy
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@ElzP, cheers
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Gaz_H, update - looks like the rules have changed today, so covid pass no longer needed on local transport which looks like it includes the gondola as all the scanners have gone today. Masks still the rule.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
snowHead snowHead

latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Well - the last couple of days on Aosta were a whirlwind, and we're now back in the UK. The snow gods decided to see us off with some fresh lovely snow, with Saturday reminding us that it's all very well being used to ice, but now here's some shin deep powder, ha, bet you can't ski on that. Laughing Saturday in the fresh snow was a very tiring day, though we'd just about got the hang of it by lunchtime! I was magical to see Pila as it should look, and it even snowed down to the valley for a bit. Gorgeous. Sunday, and our last day skiing, was a dream - grippy pistes, sunshine, snow still on the trees for that winter wonderland feel. We were very lucky! We spend Sunday morning just skiing every run we'd loved and saying goodbye. Then it was packing up, a bit of cleaning, and on the train to Turin on Monday.

Getting the train back to the uk was pretty straightforward, though our immense baggage was less fun to lug around. People in St Pancras station get very sniffy about ski bags when they're rushing around! NehNeh We stayed Monday night in Turin by Porta Sousa, then got the 7.39 Paris train - a TGV. We went 1st for comfort and baggage space as it was only a tenner more per person. Worth it as it did make for a much more relaxing journey. Travelling through the mountains was beautiful! Then a wait in Paris for a spot of lunch, and onto the eurostar. The switch between Gare de Lyon and Gare du Nord was really easy by RER, and there were lifts so no problems with the bags. I'd def do the train again, and noted all the places near or at ski resorts we stopped at - Modane, Bardonechia... dead easy for loads of places. Yes it's probably a bit cheaper to fly, but nowhere near as pleasant. Very Happy

Gathering our thoughts now, with lots to do before we take off for our next adventure to Croatia for a year. I'll do another post to wrap up tips, impressions, and general things, but overall it's been a very positive experience and I'm so glad we got brave and did it.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@ElzP, thank you so much for taking the time to share all your experiences. I have found myself smiling with vicarious pleasure when I read your posts, which are also so well written snowHead
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@motyl, +1!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@ElzP, Thanks for taking the time to post your experiences. I've enjoyed reading them all.

It's a great area... but shhh! don't tell everyone!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yes thanks for the advice. I'm in La Thuile now and just had a day off because more snow has arrived.... and a lot of it too. Everything is closed or very near to it. Weather clearing too for our last day tomorrow.

The aosta region is fantastic... the only main resort I've not been to is Pila but it is on the list.

Thanks again
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@ElzP, Thank you so much for your reports. We’ve really enjoyed reading these. Very interested in hearing about the train travel - it’s an option we’d very much prefer if we had a choice, having enjoyed the ski train from St Pancras & Swiss rail transfers many times in the past. It’s lovely to hear you had a final fabulous blast in Pila & with snow! Very Happy
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ive just returned today from la Thuile. Only went for 4 days so the info gained from your thread was superb, many thanks... 2 days very difficult conditions because loads of snow blizzarding and 2 days simply marvalous.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks folks! It was fun to write - and I've realised my previous trip reports are entertaining for me to look back on to re-live all the daft stuff and little details. snowHead

Going to round it off with just some stats and thoughts...

- days in Aosta: 58
- days on skis (at least some of the time): 48 ish (may be less for me as I had to return to the UK for a few days for work)

- number of ski trousers taken: 3
- number of ski trousers that fitted at the start of the trip: 2
- number of ski trousers that fitted at the end of the trip: 1
- number of doppio ciocolato puddings from Gros Cidac consumed between 2: 40 Embarassed

- number of meltdowns on piste: infinite... Embarassed
- number of lessons: 4
- best ski instructor ever: Alessandra Malfa (Cervinia/Pila though based in Zermatt next season)
- best advice on the internet when things are going awry: Snowheads collective of course!

- best resort visited: Pila or Monterosa - Monterosa probably wins for sheer beauty, but Pila as our 'home' resort has a special place in my heart
- least favourite resort: Courmeyeur
- most fun experience: cross country ski lesson (there will be more of this in my ski future!)
- sad we missed out on: the small resorts of the valley, conditions just didn't come together for proper exploring
- next time we'll try: snowboarding or touring as we'd wanted a go at both but the former looked uncomfortable on ice and my low confidence meant we didn't have a pop at the second

- best restaurant we visited: La Sapin, Champoluc
- best comfort food: Birrifico, Aosta (the ribs!)
- best hotel on a weekend away: Hotel Miramonte, Cogne
- best ski shop: Technosport, Aosta (by a long chalk, a really brilliant place to buy and hire kit)

Thanks for reading folks! Next stop for us is Croatia for a year hopefully, and next season we'll probably return to more trad ski holidays (Canada and Finland on the list...) but hope to explore Croatia/Slovenia/Slovakia for some snow fun as well. It's been a blast, roll on the winter! snowHead
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy