Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where to go for a beginner in first week of April 22?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
snowymum wrote:
Are you tied into that week? If you can go in the last two weeks of March you will find the slopes less crowded than 1st week of April and prices cheaper - accommodation prices will be higher in the first week of April as it is the main UK Easter school holiday week and sometimes a week that is popular with Belgians and the Dutch too. Lots of people will have postponed holidays from the past two years for that week so it could be busier than usual. (it is still a better option than half term though)

If you are wanting hotel accommodation I'd suggest looking at Club Med (all inclusive). There is a new Club Med hotel in La Rosiere which is well located and the resort is ideal for beginners but also has some more challenging runs in the Mont Valaisan area (and over on the Italian side of the ski area). You could also look at Hotel Taj i Mah in Arc 2000 or Hotel St Charles in Val Cenis. Ski collection have some nice properties in Val Thorens and that is very snow sure but if you go in the latter part of March you would not have to go that high.

Yes, Blue 6 not Blue 5. Yes a download would be possible now, and not a bad idea as there are a couple of not very nice bits late in the day if warm.

I was thinking that April will be popular due to postponements, but BA cancelled both my out and return flights in December(2nd April and 10th) - there were alternatives but I think they are being a bit premature.

As for busy... Obergurgl is never that busy, rarely any queues - somewhat limited by location and number of beds, though as you suggest this year may well be different.

As for avoiding UK school holidays, in most Austria resorts that's a bit of a myth - much more important to miss Dutch and German ones. But Obergurgl is very popular with the British. UK school holidays are most significant for UK holidaymakers at the airports. Salzburg and Innsbruck are not very big. And for prices of course as you mention
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Thanks so much everyone.

Currently think I'm between Obergurgl (although hotels aren't quite as nice as the Riml in Hochgurgl) or Ishgl.
At Ishgl there's the Elizabeth Arthotel or Trofana Royal which are in budget.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
MarcFSki wrote:
Thanks so much everyone.

Currently think I'm between Obergurgl (although hotels aren't quite as nice as the Riml in Hochgurgl) or Ishgl.
At Ishgl there's the Elizabeth Arthotel or Trofana Royal which are in budget.

Obergurgl hotels can be very smart. The Hochfirst you mentioned and the Gurglhof I have stayed in. I usually stay in the Alpenaussicht now. Not nearly as smart but a lot cheaper (and still pretty good and great location - access to slopes walking past Hochfirst and Solden bus stop right outside). Personally given the choice (which I have, obviously…) I’d stay in Obergurgl rather than Hochgurgl.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I am always amazed that the vast majority of recommendations exclude Swiss resorts. Most here are recommending Austria with a scattering of France. And Italy also not mentioned. Just an observation, not least as plenty of good options that meet the criteria in both countries, especially Switzerland of looking for classic alpine village vibe.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
zikomo wrote:
I am always amazed that the vast majority of recommendations exclude Swiss resorts. Most here are recommending Austria with a scattering of France. And Italy also not mentioned. Just an observation, not least as plenty of good options that meet the criteria in both countries, especially Switzerland of looking for classic alpine village vibe.

That is very true. Haven't had much experience of Switzerland - just the one trip to Lauterbrunnen (so Wengen/Murren). A very interesting area, relatively slow to get around as lift system (away from the trains) is not as good as Austrian ones, but definitely a great experience because of how unusual it was; skiing out of the James Bond restaurant, that waterfall in Lauterbrunnen, the trains, let alone the scenery in general

I guess the impression is that Switzerland is expensive (though maybe not compared with Obergurgl and Ischgl being considered here)
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The Gotthard-Zeit in Obergurgl is very nice just in a more traditional style (except for the spa which is more modern feeling). I'd be surprised if you would be disappointed by either the Gotthard or the Edelweiss.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ol_smokey wrote:
The Gotthard-Zeit in Obergurgl is very nice just in a more traditional style (except for the spa which is more modern feeling). I'd be surprised if you would be disappointed by either the Gotthard or the Edelweiss.

I quite like the modern Austrian style - still lots of wood. The refurbished Gurglhof is like this.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy