Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anyone stranded due to positive return test?

Poster: A snowHead
@DaddyLouLou, can't see why not -an LFT is an LFT!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@albob, That's what I was thinking
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@DaddyLouLou, Maybe not

"You must book the test before you travel to England. You can book lateral flow tests from 4am Friday 7 January."

from the gov.uk site

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/travel-to-england-from-another-country-during-coronavirus-covid-19

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 5-01-22 18:30; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hurtle wrote:
Good thread, thanks. It's the risk of being stuck abroad which is causing me to cancel trips at the moment, so I shall watch developments with interest, especially the actual rules.

The tricky thing about planning it all the way through, doesn't help that rules change quite quickly (as I suppose they have to). We don't need to test to come back from next week, but there's no guarantee that won't have changed in a month.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@SnoodlesMcFlude,
Quote:

there's no guarantee that won't have changed in a month.
Indeed. And if you do get it (presumably with symptoms) local self- isolation rules will still apply.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@albob, I still don't get the booking thing. I have a Randox LFT which I was planning on taking and submitting when I return. Is this now obsolete?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
MorningGory wrote:
@albob, I still don't get the booking thing. I have a Randox LFT which I was planning on taking and submitting when I return. Is this now obsolete?

If you have a PLF code with it then it’s fine. If you don’t, they might let you have one. Or just make one up, as i understand works just as well. wink
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The test kits are identical, but allocated for different purposes. Some are recorded differently to others for official notification. i.e fit to fly just has a QR code issued saying you are -ve, the 2 day return result would be notified to track and trace,

With past changes, most providers have let people repurposed tests they have already bought. Usually just needs a phone call and they amend their records, but might need to pay any price difference.

You might get a different reference number as they may be allocated by intended use.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It's just a box with the bits in. Haven't opened it yet, but can't see that it would have anything like a unique ref in it, although it does have a 'ref L031-xxxyx' printed on it along with a lot number. Nowt relating to a date though.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
MorningGory wrote:

Neither do I : thought it might be so they had a log of people entering and could then check if the had followed the correct procedure?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
MorningGory wrote:

I’m in the same position but with tests from C19 that weren’t needed when the rules changed in October. Was going to use them as our test to return. Have just fired off a message to C19 to see if they can be used for Day 2 & if they have PLF codes they can give us. Will let you know what they say when I hear back.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I believe the Randox PLF codes start: RANDX and then 7 digits. For example, RANDX3945678

I'm pretty sure there's no checksum buried in there, because when I ordered 4 tests, all apart from the final digit were the same, and the final digits were sequential.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
What would snowheads do if you or a member of your ski party gets cold symptoms whilst out in resort now?

If you test and are positive, then I guess you straight into quarantine and miss the flight home, potentially stranding you until the next flight available, which could be the next Saturday, if flying out of Austria.

Or do you ignore and get on with your holiday, now we don’t have to pre-departure test?

A troubling dilemma, I’m sure and one I hope not to be faced with in 10 days time.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Chuckles3, @snowdave,

What's a PLF code?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@2planks, good question
snow conditions
@MorningGory, the code required by the UK Passenger Locator Form filled in prior to reaching UK border?
ski holidays
MorningGory wrote:
@Chuckles3, @snowdave,

What's a PLF code?

You have to enter a booking reference for the Day 2 test on the UK Passenger Locator Form (PLF) before you can finalise the form to return. When I twice did Randox day 2 tests last year, they sent these codes in the confirmatory email immediately on ordering.

It’s a shame you can’t do the UK form in advance (unlike many others) as you’d be able to ‘test’ the theory that anything will work in the booking reference field.

Does that make sense?
snow report
@MorningGory, you need a code from your booked test to put on your form before you return to UK
snow conditions
@ster, @alasdair.graham, Cheers. Haven't got that far yet as I don't know which of 2 booked flights I'll be on Very Happy

So hopefully Randox can supply me with a code for the test I have.
snow conditions
Ive emailed Randox to see if the return to UK test can be repurposed as a Day 2 test. seems like a massive waste if not as after all its the same thing just without a booking ref.
ski holidays
@2planks, that is a good question, but fully vaccinated contacts don't have to isolate, do they, if they test negative? As the numbers of Omicron infections continues to soar the whole question of isolation, and the impact of isolation (not just on people in busy hotels who have sat at a whole lot of different tables with a whole lot of different people) will have to be revisited. Given that many people with no or few symptoms won't test, and even if they do, might well not isolate, or tell their contacts, the whole thing pretty rapidly becomes pointless.

It makes sense for us all, now, to assume we will encounter infected people any time we go out. We either have to rely on our immune systems, or stay at home. I am doing the former (was at the theatre last night, everyone masked, and am about to go to a Pilates class) but I wouldn't spend the evening in a crowded pub or go to a nightclub. Though normally, of course, I'm out clubbin' every night.... wink
snow conditions
Randox now mention the new 2 day LFT.

@therock, hope you have more luck with your query than I had....

snow report
pam w wrote:
that is a good question, but fully vaccinated contacts don't have to isolate, do they, if they test negative?

They may not have to in the UK, but that is not the same in all other countries, and you would be obliged to follow their rules.
snow conditions

[/quote]

im not expecting a positive response ! (excuse the pun)
latest report
MorningGory wrote:
Randox now mention the new 2 day LFT.

Looks like they have increased their prices for this test. I paid £14.95 for my Austria trip on the 19th Dec
snow report
That's what I paid for the existing test
ski holidays
2planks wrote:
What would snowheads do if you or a member of your ski party gets cold symptoms whilst out in resort now?

If you test and are positive, then I guess you straight into quarantine and miss the flight home, potentially stranding you until the next flight available, which could be the next Saturday, if flying out of Austria.

Or do you ignore and get on with your holiday, now we don’t have to pre-departure test?

A troubling dilemma, I’m sure and one I hope not to be faced with in 10 days time.

I would take a stash of NHS lateral flow tests with me.

If you test positive on one of your lateral flows while away, then perhaps self-isolating under the radar would be possible (maybe find a self check-in airbnb somewhere nearby for a week?). If you want to be covered by insurance for the additional costs though, you might need to get a test done locally and get absorbed into the local quarantine system.

If it's a driving holiday, you could just drive straight home as you won't be encountering anyone else on the journey.

It will certainly be a hassle whatever happens! Especially if kids are involved.
snow report
Scarlet wrote:
pam w wrote:
that is a good question, but fully vaccinated contacts don't have to isolate, do they, if they test negative?

They may not have to in the UK, but that is not the same in all other countries, and you would be obliged to follow their rules.

I have tried to find the rules for Austria but it’s proving difficult. I’m guessing they don’t temperature check you on the way out of Austria at the airport.

Seeing as Omicron produces the same symptoms as a common cold, it would be a very difficult decision to get an official test done as you are potentially are quarantining yourself for 14 days!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@2planks, there was a report recently where a family reported a positive test to the authorities (in Austria) and the family were then carted of to a quarantine hotel
ski holidays
@albob, They reported themselves (in a way) to the authorities, so were obliged then to do as they were told. @2planks, No, you won't be temperature checked, and if you are wearing an FFP2 mask, any symptoms will likely be hidden behind it. No one is going to ask you to remove you mask to see if you've got a runny nose!
latest report
albob wrote:
@2planks, there was a report recently where a family reported a positive test to the authorities (in Austria) and the family were then carted of to a quarantine hotel

I think this is the family in question?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/ski/news/son-tested-positive-austrian-ski-holiday-treated-like-ebola/
ski holidays
If I understand you right
Quote:

... you are asking whether people would do an LFT if they get cold symptoms, or whether they'd ignore the symptoms hoping it's not covid (and not wanting to isolate if it is)?

Moral quandary!
snow report
If, as rumoured, Austria reduce the isolation period, then it might be an easier dilemma to answer.
latest report
Very impressed with C19 Testing. They’ve already got back to me with a link to repurpose my excess tests into Day 2 tests. I shall definitely use them again.

This is the link in case anyone else has tests from C19 - https://www.c19testing.co.uk/generateplfref
ski holidays
Quote:

... you are asking whether people would do an LFT if they get cold symptoms, or whether they'd ignore the symptoms hoping it's not covid (and not wanting to isolate if it is)?

Moral quandary!

I would feel very guilty if I got on a plane, coach / train transfer with symptoms & avoided testing purposefully out there but subsequently tested positive . Will take some LFTs on my next trip for that purpose
snow conditions
@brownie, i agree, but this is now the reality of society (here in the UK at least). I think it is a resonable expectation that wherever you go now, you will be in contact with +ve folk.
latest report
brownie wrote:
Quote:

Moral quandary!

I would feel very guilty if I got on a plane, coach / train transfer with symptoms & avoided testing purposefully out there but subsequently tested positive . Will take some LFTs on my next trip for that purpose

I attend sports and social sessions indoors with 5-25 people several times weekly. I don't test every day but maybe a couple of times a week. Obviously I would isolate if positive but my point is it's actually really hit and miss. And actually if people are fully jabbed, masked and there is good ventilation actually you start to think everything has been done.

I remember there being discussions at work in years gone by about people coming into work and coughing/sneezing their way through the day.

Not saying what is right or wrong as such just the supporting the moral quandary statement.
snow report
@Layne I think you are complicating something quite straight forward

The scenario is quite simple. You are on holiday and you develop symptoms that could be COVID. You have 2 choices

1. You test yourself because you don’t want risk harming/infecting others while there
Or
2. You don’t test yourself because you don’t risk the inconvenience of having to self isolate on holiday Irrespective of the harm it might cause others
snow conditions
That proposition is not exactly phrased in a neutral way, @brownie. Bit of a "have you stopped beating your wife?" job.
ski holidays
What’s not neutral about it?

Quote:

That proposition is not exactly phrased in a neutral way, @brownie. Bit of a "have you stopped beating your wife?" job.

Thu 06 Jan, 22
15:57

ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy