Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best alternative to France if looking for Apres Ski

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

That probably sums up the biggest difference between Austrian and other countries’ après-ski. It’s the difference between having to find it, and not being able to escape it!

Eh oh! Eh oh! Eh oh! Eh oh!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I find that the Austrian timetable of apres suits me much more now I'm getting on a bit.
I never really liked hanging around for French nightlife to start either. Have had some good nights in the Malaysia (sp?) in VT when I was younger.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
halfhand wrote:
deadzell wrote:
Thanks all!

In my Defence it is my first time skiing so am being guided by others... noted that Apres is better elsewhere!

Someone asked above and I don't think you answered - what type of Apres Ski do you want?

The Austrian Apres Ski scene is amazing but tends to revolve around what I call "disco oompah" and lots of community singing and is something which I can cope with but one of our ski buddies detests it. It made for some interesting apres decisions in Ischgl wink . He walked out of Kitzloch after the second chorus of Schatzi schenk mir ein foto and insisted we went to the Eagle and Child (nice beer and music but quiet).

If you want some lively scene with British/US style rock and pop then France can do it up to a point (Chambre Neuf anyone?) but it is usually Europop or quiet conversation.

For the best of the Brit/US Rock n Pop type of apres then I think the big Swiss resorts (Verbier, Zermatt) do this really well.

Yes, Austria might be lively, but my god the terrible music they make you listen too. I don't care if it's 'local'. There's no way they're listening to that rubbish in a decent bar/club anywhere else in the country.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
hold_my_biere wrote:
Yes, Austria might be lively, but my god the terrible music they make you listen too. I don't care if it's 'local'. There's no way they're listening to that rubbish in a decent bar/club anywhere else in the country.

In the larger Austrian resorts if you don't like the music in one bar, move on to the next. OK, there's a core playlist that a lot of bars seem to play (mainly stuff you can 'dance' to wearing full ski gear) but taking Ischgl as an example if you don't want that; the Golden Eagle will be playing rock, Fire and Ice will be playing more dance music, there won't be any music in the Kiwi Bar, the cocktail bar will be playing pop, and there's a good chance someone will be playing lounge music on the piano in either Hotel Die Post or Hotel Trofana Royal.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
French invented the word Apres but definitely did not invent Apres Ski. Did
they actually do this before the Folie Douce started popping up? We do have an umbrella bar on the slopes in Châtel and every now and again they play the Mossewirt playlist mid afternoon to try to lure a few brits and Dutch for a pint or two.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
French invented the word Apres but definitely did not invent Apres Ski. Did
they actually do this before the Folie Douce started popping up? We do have an umbrella bar on the slopes in Châtel and every now and again they play the Mossewirt playlist mid afternoon to try to lure a few brits and Dutch for a pint or two.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
France and especially resorts like Meribel and Val Thorens have a bit of a reputation in UK for good apres ski/clubbing scene. This is probably due to the number of British skiers visiting every year. I had some really good experiences in bars like Rond Point and Folie Douce with some of their parties starting around 4pm-7pm, but for later in the night it has been a bit disappointing.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@deadzell, as you can see, most of us are somewhat perplexed by your love of France for Apres, whilst I love the skiing in France, i've always seen it as an Apres free zone!

Austria is the only place to go for Apres!!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
tatmanstours wrote:

(except when Johnny Däpp is playing, and then you have every right to complain).[/quote]

OMG CHOOOOONNN!!!!

My seven-year-old is almost word perfect on “Dicke Titten Kartoffelsalat”, and if “Country Roads” comes on you had better not be between us and the dance floor Laughing

Mayrhofen had great aprés last time I was there (pre-COVID). Proper dirty oompah/schlager. Would recommend.

LS
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
lord_seagrave wrote:
tatmanstours wrote:

(except when Johnny Däpp is playing, and then you have every right to complain).

OMG CHOOOOONNN!!!!

My seven-year-old is almost word perfect on “Dicke Titten Kartoffelsalat”, and if “Country Roads” comes on you had better not be between us and the dance floor Laughing

Mayrhofen had great aprés last time I was there (pre-COVID). Proper dirty oompah/schlager. Would recommend.

LS[/quote]

Hardly surprising that Mayrhofen has great Apres. The culprit for "Johnny Däpp" is Lorenz Büffel, who happens to be the resident DJ at the Brück'n Stadl! Shocked
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy