Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best alternative to France if looking for Apres Ski

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

Myself and 7 friends, all based in England, have a skiing holiday booked in France for the end of January 2022.

It is looking increasingly unlikely that this will go ahead given current travel restrictions.

France was our ideal location because of the apres ski. We're looking at alternatives (either Italy, Austria or Andorra we expect) but are hoping to ensure wherever we go will have apres ski and some freedom in terms of attending bars etc.

Can anybody give me any insight to which countries have apres ski as normal, and which ones have restrictions which mean apres ski is unlikely to happen? It doesn't seem easy to find any guidance on this elsewhere online.

I'd be grateful for any input.

Thanks all! Smile
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Wait for next year, it is off or severely restricted everywhere. Normally Austria is the best fro apres but many of the best places are closed and it is table service only.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@deadzell, welcome to Snowheads!

What type of apres ski are you looking for? (Austria is far more known for its apres ski than France, so I'm wondering how you previously chose France as your "ideal location because of the apres ski.") For e.g. are you looking for dancing on tables in the mid to late afternoon or clubbing into the early hours?

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 5-01-22 19:46; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Andorra.!,. arinsol had a good night life wink .. solden in austria as well as st. Anton
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Is this a trick question?

Everywhere is usually better than France for Apres skiing, just not so much this year.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@deadzell, welcome to Snowheads.

I am intrigued that you were considering France for the apres. What would sort of thing are you looking for? Apres in France is pretty tame normally unless you like actually going

Most of Europe has fairly tight controls on music/dancing etc this year.

Austria would be the go to for great apres and is the best in Europe. But this year Everyone is supposed to be seated.

I am not sure what other countries are doing! Others will advise.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

France was our ideal location because of the apres ski.

@deadzell, have you ever actually been to France?

@beeryletcher, hah hah hah Twisted Evil
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Austria for Apres always. St Anton is popular, although I'm a big fan of Saalbach and the apres is strong. Mayrhofen was pretty party when I was last there too! But yes, if your primary focus is apres, then I'd suggest waiting until restrictions are eased, although that might not be this season.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yeah, I too struggle with the concept of "France for Aprés..." unless you are committed to Les Folies Douces...
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Austria is the best Apres in Europe, by a country mile. Andorra is great if you like average skiing and cheap beer. I've had good nights / afternoons in L2A, Les Arc, and Val Thorens (honourable mention to Cafe Snesko), but really; you need to go to Austria!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
France?? did he say France?? so - better for apres.....? lets try every other alpine country! but when things are "normal" its Austria every time!!!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
France?? did he say France?? so - better for apres.....? lets try every other alpine country! but when things are "normal" its Austria every time!!!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Once it’s back to ‘normal’ and you’ve got big pockets then Ischgl is pretty damn good for Apres.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Currently, in my corner of Austria, night clubs are closed, but all or most of the bars, including lively après-ski bars, are able to open until 22.00 (which is late enough for most serious skiers). Over the festive period it’s been quite busy; there is the usual music and singing and general conviviality, and even live musicians in a few après bars that are prepared to sail close to the wind. It may be more limited than usual, but it’s still a hundred times livelier, in terms of après-ski than any French resort I’ve been to.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks Tatman, hopefully will be there on the 15th.
snow report
Better Apre Ski than France? North Korea, Tajikistan, Saudi, Equatorial Guinea although the last two might be missing the snow.
snow report
RedandWhiteFlachau wrote:
Better Apre Ski than France? North Korea, Tajikistan, Saudi, Equatorial Guinea although the last two might be missing the snow.

Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
Thanks all!

In my Defence it is my first time skiing so am being guided by others... noted that Apres is better elsewhere!
snow conditions
Are there any other aspects which are important as you make arrangements for your first ski holiday, @deadzell? Like anything to do with the skiing, for example?
ski holidays
@RedandWhiteFlachau, Have you been to any of the counties you list?
snow conditions
deadzell wrote:
Thanks all!

In my Defence it is my first time skiing so am being guided by others... noted that Apres is better elsewhere!

Someone asked above and I don't think you answered - what type of Apres Ski do you want?

The Austrian Apres Ski scene is amazing but tends to revolve around what I call "disco oompah" and lots of community singing and is something which I can cope with but one of our ski buddies detests it. It made for some interesting apres decisions in Ischgl wink . He walked out of Kitzloch after the second chorus of Schatzi schenk mir ein foto and insisted we went to the Eagle and Child (nice beer and music but quiet).

If you want some lively scene with British/US style rock and pop then France can do it up to a point (Chambre Neuf anyone?) but it is usually Europop or quiet conversation.

For the best of the Brit/US Rock n Pop type of apres then I think the big Swiss resorts (Verbier, Zermatt) do this really well.
latest report
johnE wrote:
@RedandWhiteFlachau, Have you been to any of the counties you list?

I think the answer will be 'all of them'
snow conditions
Quote:

The Austrian Apres Ski scene is amazing but tends to revolve around what I call "disco oompah" and lots of community singing and is something which I can cope with but one of our ski buddies detests it. It made for some interesting apres decisions

It might help to remind members of the party that they will be visiting another country and a different culture, and that they should not expect to hear the same music as at home (although some of the classic rock will be the same, and “deep house” is spreading like another virus variant).
It’s good to be open minded when travelling to the Alps and not expect the same food, the same drinks, the same music, etc. (except when Johnny Däpp is playing, and then you have every right to complain).
snow report
Sorry but I have to join in the surprise..... France and Apres, in the same sentence! Puzzled
ski holidays
Quote:

It might help to remind members of the party that they will be visiting another country and a different culture, and that they should not expect to hear the same music as at home

That is very true. Though the live music in Arc 1600 is usually British/US rock you do get the occaisional odd one - like a ukalani band. The best I recall was actually a jazz band playing what I think is called swing. Even my feet were tapping
snow report
A bit harsh on a new contributor folks!

My own naivety went like this: having experienced the best week of my life on my first ever ski trip (St Anton) in the 90s, I immediately booked a week in Les Deux Alpes when I returned home, leaving the following month.

It was....a bit different.
snow conditions
@tatmanstours, Agreed
snow report
Quote:
The best I recall was actually a jazz band playing what I think is called swing. Even my feet were tapping

That'd be good.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I was on a Crystal package to Alpe d'Huez, 1999. A group of us ended up at an organ recital one evening!

To be fair, it was quite good. As an encore, the organist broke into a rousing rendition of 'On Ilkley Moor Bar t'Hat'.
ski holidays
LukeRibs wrote:
Val Thorens (honourable mention to Cafe Snesko), but really; you need to go to Austria!

Is that the Danish bar? That sets the bar on fire every hour? I had one of the best nights of my life in there. Unreal.
ski holidays
There was a pop-up Irish bar in Ellmau the other year. That was fun.
snow report
deadzell wrote:

Can anybody give me any insight to which countries have apres ski as normal,

Scotlan....
oh, wait! no.

Maybe look at Bulgaria.
ski holidays
deadzell wrote:

In my experience the apres scene varies from country to country but also resort to resort and a lot will depend on what your friends mean by "apres".

France
In general it's at most just a civilized glass or two at the bottom of the slope, then back to the chalet to chill before dinner. In a lot of resorts that's where you then stay till morning but in some of the more party focused ones (e.g. Morzine) you'd start thinking of going out after dinner but not make a move until say 10pm, hitting a late bar at 11pm before moving on to the night club, rolling back home in the early hours.

Austria
Certainly when it comes to the bigger resorts with party reputations (Ischgl/St Anton/Saalbach/etc) the pattern is more to hit the bars straight off the slopes at say 3:30/4pm and stay there drinking on empty stomachs till 7pm. At this point most of the apres parties wind down and you either go back to your hotel meal or find a restaurant. After stuffing your face there's usually the option to carry on drinking...or you just go to bed, get 10hrs sleep and wake up ready for first lift.

Italy
My experience of Italian apres is that there isn't any - but I think that's more down to the resorts I've been to/the fact one of them was a SH bash so we never left the hotel bar. Smile

You know your friends so if you can give us a guide which apres camp they are most likely to fall in to/what resorts they rave about we can recommend some specific resorts.
latest report
@Tom Doc, yes it is! I think the French are getting an unfair rub of the green here… I’ve had some good nights out in France.

Honourable mention to ‘Pano Bar’ in L2A.
snow conditions
Mjit wrote:

Italy
My experience of Italian apres is that there isn't any - but I think that's more down to the resorts I've been to/the fact one of them was a SH bash so we never left the hotel bar. Smile

I'd agree with you most places (especially Courmayeur, unless a passeggiata by women of a certain age in fur coats counts) but from last week's experience, the apres fire still burns brightly in Sauze d'Oulx (for some reason I thought the original On The Piste documentary was filmed here, but it was Söll apparently)
snow conditions
Quote:

I thought the original On The Piste documentary was filmed here, but it was Söll apparently

Söll - archetypal Austrian après-ski
Wengen (with which resort the documentary contrasted Söll) - archetypal Swiss/French après-ski.
There are exceptions, but generally Austrian après is more rumbustious, expected, and prevalent - and the music constitutes a genre of its own (on to which this thread could easily be diverted).
snow report
If you are a Brit, and happy to spend your time amongst fellow Brits, Pub Le Ski Lodge in La Tania, Trois Vallees, France is good for lively apres with live (mostly British) 'covers' Bands playing regularly - but sadly not so far this season.
snow report
DidierCouch wrote:
Mjit wrote:

Italy

I'd agree with you most places (especially Courmayeur, unless a passeggiata by women of a certain age in fur coats counts) but from last week's experience, the apres fire still burns brightly in Sauze d'Oulx (for some reason I thought the original On The Piste documentary was filmed here, but it was Söll apparently)

That's odd - Sauze's the other Italian resort I've been to and we never found much in the way of apres! Not doubting you that it's there, just that we never managed to find it Smile
snow conditions
@Mjit,
Quote:

we never managed to find it

That probably sums up the biggest difference between Austrian and other countries’ après-ski. It’s the difference between having to find it, and not being able to escape it!
ski holidays
tatmanstours wrote:
@Mjit,
Quote:

we never managed to find it

That probably sums up the biggest difference between Austrian and other countries’ après-ski. It’s the difference between having to find it, and not being able to escape it!

Laughing Stimmt!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy