Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Short turn comparisons

Poster: A snowHead
*as requested, new topic to avoid thread drift*

*From: https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=4895409#4895409*

OK, so here goes. Note that the following is all simply in the spirit of general discussion Smile

Let's look at this first (WC skiers free skiing). Note the very quiet upper body, fairly low hands/upper body and the very clean carving. At least on easy terrain, most of the French ski club kids I see are skiing in this style.

http://youtube.com/v/o-auE9h85WU

Now take a look at this video (BASI L3 shorts) from say 20 s. What I see is a rather upright posture, and what I call a 'dancey' move (the music is perfect!). This is certainly related to the pole plants, and is also some how coupled to more rotational motion early in the turn. Note how the arms are widely apart, as if encircling a dancing partner snowHead

http://youtube.com/v/xsQwSj2Vd3I

Note that the above video is from 2015. The one you posted is indeed better (and also L4), although I see similar elements. As an aside, I remember talking to some L4's around 2015 who said that BASI was discussing making the shorts more racing-like. No idea if that is true, or if it was just chairlift talk.

A few immediate thoughts:

1- I have no doubt that the average BASI bod could ski a lot more in the racing style if they wanted to/were told to. Obviously, I am looking at videos where they are trying to achieve a particular style.

2- One difference is certainly equipment. Racing kids are obviously very used to hooning around on slalom skis (R= 12-13 m). In the BASI videos, the ski radius is often up to 17-18 m, this requires more rotation to get them around I suppose. I think that the modern racing style also relies upon rather stiffer skis/boots.

3- However, the biggest difference is certainly the pole plants (why do they always look like their poles are too long btw?). This causes upper body motion and a very upright posture. Of course, this is for a reason, as it helps the recreational skier stay in control on steeper terrain. Actually, if you watch a WC slalom in slow-mo, you will also see a lot of pole planting going on, but it is done with much less of a demonstrative flick of the arm.

So yes (and IMV), there is a huge difference between the short turns done by kids in ski clubs, and those required by BASI. Is it a fair/useful comparision? Probably not, since the aims and equipment are so different. Interesting though Smile

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 4-01-22 14:03; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Old Fartbag,

You said that:

"@JamesHJ, It looks to me from those videos, that racers use more "Flex to Transition", which stops almost all upward movement - which gives earlier snow contact and allows even tighter turns, control and speed.

It "may" be, that BASI ski with the goal of teaching skiers outside of the race course, where the goal is slightly different ie. More control through a more rounded turn and not going as fast as possible from A to B. Could be wrong, though."

When you say "flex to transition", does this approximate to what people mean when they talk about 'cross-under'?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Reply moved to here:

@JamesHJ, It looks to me from those videos, that racers use more "Flex to Transition", which stops almost all upward movement - which gives earlier snow contact and allows even tighter turns, control and speed.

It "may" be, that BASI ski with the goal of teaching skiers outside of the race course, where the goal is slightly different ie. Increased control through a more rounded turn and not going as fast as possible from A to B. Could be wrong, though.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
JamesHJ wrote:
@Old Fartbag,

You said that:

"@JamesHJ, It looks to me from those videos, that racers use more "Flex to Transition", which stops almost all upward movement - which gives earlier snow contact and allows even tighter turns, control and speed.

It "may" be, that BASI ski with the goal of teaching skiers outside of the race course, where the goal is slightly different ie. More control through a more rounded turn and not going as fast as possible from A to B. Could be wrong, though."

When you say "flex to transition", does this approximate to what people mean when they talk about 'cross-under'?

This explains it (from 11:20)

http://youtube.com/v/vaPDpU1_OrU

Basically, it's like skiing an invisible mogul.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
OK thanks, that is what I understood as cross-under. A good spot.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
JamesHJ wrote:
OK thanks, that is what I understood as cross-under. A good spot.

I believe a Cross-Under turn, simply means the skis crossing under you ie. Short Turn...which doesn't exclusively mean a "Flex to Transition" initiated turn.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
THe latest BASI L4 shorts standard is here https://www.basi.org.uk/BASI/Courses/Alpine/Tech_standards/Alpine_technical_standards.aspx?WebsiteKey=211cffca-c436-4a06-844e-527af5a19586

Do they still look like you recall ? Im only asking as I hear this from time to time that there is a "BASI" way to ski. I think there was an element of that 15+ years ago with a lot of the Trainers skiing with very wide stances but curious what people think these days..
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
A few things to note is that you are looking at the top 60 piste skiers in the world on the warm up videos and comparing to some average L3 instructors. The WC are far better skiers but I bet if you saw some video of them skiing off piste their stance would be a bit different.

Racers tend to ski lower to be more aerodynamic and typically in boots with much more aggressive forward lean to facilitate this. Their runs are under 2 minutes and rec skiers and instructors are going all day in typically boots with a more upright setup so as to reduce musculature fatigue. Racers are much squarer to the skis than instructors as it is stronger, more powerful and faster. Instructors are also skiing for all types of terrain, not just rutted icy courses so tend to ski with much more rotary than a WC'er would. Pole plants are not required in SL or GS and low hand position you see is to help clear gates. Racers pressure and impulse the ski above the fall line much more than a rec skier and instructors aren't usually skilled enough to impulse the skis at the top of the turn or need to. Instructors tend to grind at the belly of the turn and racers release pressure to keep up speed, etc etc... Desired outcome dictates Inputs in a lot of ways which in turns into a "style" or "look"

BASI does get stick a bit for still having a certain robotic form that was in fashion years ago. Swiss instructors on a whole are much more free and relaxed.

Harry (who I spent more that a few weeks trying to pass our ET's Toofy Grin ) in the Altitude vid has quite a wide stance for instance in the videos and I think that was him using a BASI form from years ago... At that point Im not sure he had his ISTD but may have done. The other guys are L3's I think
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
So I think (inspired by @rjs Laughing ) that we can classify short turns into three complimentary camps: Ski racer, Ski instructor, punter. Arguably the instructors job is the hardest, needing to demonstrate all three when necessary!

Some very interesting points above, including possibly the first ever reported example of the British being described as ‘robotic’ in comparison to the ‘free and relaxed’ Swiss snowHead

P.s. @skimottaret, I noticed that skiers very wide stance too!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
More up to date BASI L3 video

http://youtube.com/v/L62PsifV9J0
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
and a punter who scraped an L2 pass on his L2 tech resit course!

http://youtube.com/v/YEH7G_Cvofo
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
kitenski wrote:

To be fair, that’s pretty kinky skiing. I’d be chuffed to be able to routinely knock that out.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Not sure if this is thread drift or not (the link at the top goes to the same page) but here is another comparison. Watch from 0:48.

http://youtube.com/v/ZdH4EZbdAaY

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Tue 4-01-22 19:15; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Interesting topic...

A few comments.

1) World cup racers are at a whole different level (technical and physical) from even a BASI L3 or L4.

2) Yes, BASI shorts turns look a bit funky. Not a clean carve. However not everyone doing BASI courses will be on Slalom skis

3) If you can pull it off then a pure race carve would almost certainly meet BASI criteria ?

4) People get a bit snobby about carving. However there is much more to skiing.
I have seen plenty good racers flail in powder or bumps.

kitenski wrote:

That is a *much* better video that the one linked in first post!
Some very nice skiing & turns. But yes, deliberately not a fast / pure carve like a racer might make.
FWIW : the person demo-ing those BASI turns is a very good ex-racer.

Old Fartbag wrote:

@JamesHJ, It looks to me from those videos, that racers use more "Flex to Transition", which stops almost all upward movement - which gives earlier snow contact and allows even tighter turns, control and speed.
It "may" be, that BASI ski with the goal of teaching skiers outside of the race course, where the goal is slightly different ie. Increased control through a more rounded turn and not going as fast as possible from A to B. Could be wrong, though.

Very good observation / post!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Haggis_Trap wrote:
Interesting topic...

A few comments.

1) World cup racers are at a whole different level (technical and physical) from even a BASI L3 or L4.

2) Yes, BASI shorts turns look a bit funky. Not a clean carve. However not everyone doing BASI courses will be on Slalom skis

3) If you can pull it off then a pure race carve would almost certainly meet BASI criteria ?

4) People get a bit snobby about carving. However there is much more to skiing.
I have seen plenty good racers flail in powder or bumps.

kitenski wrote:

That is a *much* better video that the one linked in first post!
Some very nice skiing & turns. But yes, deliberately not a fast / pure carve like a racer might make.
FWIW : the person demo-ing those BASI turns is a very good ex-racer.

Old Fartbag wrote:

Very good observation / post!

Another interesting response! I am very snobby about carving, but also a teacher in (very) different circumstances. If I was a ski trainer, I’d definitely fail a student who tried to show perfect carved race turns rather than those prescribed in the course.

I remember getting rather cool feedback from a BASI trainer years ago. The drill was little twisty turns as a lead in to moguls. I couldn’t do it for toffee!

As an aside, physical shape is very important. I was skiing at New Year and finished one day at 11 a.m after a lesson. Completely ball bagged. Fortunately the top button on my salopettes held together under the strain snowHead
snow report
@JamesHJ, what was the cool feedback?
ski holidays
kitenski wrote:
@JamesHJ, what was the cool feedback?

Sorry, I meant ‘cool’ in the sense of being distinctly unimpressed snowHead

I believe the words used to describe my skiing were “So so” snowHead

[actually, it is very good teaching skills to be able to tell which students relish direct feedback, like me.]
ski holidays
JamesHJ wrote:
I’d definitely fail a student who tried to show perfect carved race turns rather than those prescribed in the course.

the criteria are sufficiently open ended (.. grip from fall-line, effective posture, variety of corridor width) than a clean carve could pass.
though no doubt a BASI trainer might ask you to deliberately tune down the performance ?
latest report
Haggis_Trap wrote:
JamesHJ wrote:
I’d definitely fail a student who tried to show perfect carved race turns rather than those prescribed in the course.

the criteria are sufficiently open ended (.. grip from fall-line, effective posture, variety of corridor width) than a clean carve could pass.
though no doubt a BASI trainer might ask you to deliberately tune down the performance ?

I do vaguely recall chair lift gossip of ex-racers failing L1 for said reasons. Who knows if it is true though!

I’ve definitely got grumpier as I have got older, so I’d tend to regard demonstrations as an opportunity to show that you understood the task, rather than showing off!
snow report
Quote:
ex-racers failing L1 for said reasons

They musta been pretty sh*t "ex-racers" Toofy Grin
ski holidays
skimottaret wrote:
Quote:
ex-racers failing L1 for said reasons

They musta been pretty sh*t "ex-racers" Toofy Grin

Tbh, I never really believed it at the time. It was a pair of punters recounting the story. Probably made them feel better snowHead
ski holidays
The main difference I see between the first BASI video and how racers ski is that the BASI lot are not keeping their pelvises square to their skis.
ski holidays
rjs wrote:
The main difference I see between the first BASI video and how racers ski is that the BASI lot are not keeping their pelvises square to their skis.

But do you think it is the legs making the upper body do the twist, or vice versa?

I’m interested, as there are those who claim that only the legs matter in skiing.
latest report
@JamesHJ, Try it yourself. I think you will find that you have to actively rotate your pelvis to make it happen.
latest report
rjs wrote:
@JamesHJ, Try it yourself. I think you will find that you have to actively rotate your pelvis to make it happen.

JamesHJ wrote:

But do you think it is the legs making the upper body do the twist, or vice versa?

To my eye it is the rounder turn shape that is the main difference (resulting in pelvis needing to turn).

Hips locked down fall line, leading to COM taking shorter line, may feel normal to racers : but it needs to be trained.
ski holidays
Haggis_Trap wrote:
Hips locked down fall line, leading to COM taking shorter line, may feel normal to racers : but it needs to be trained.

It won't feel normal to racers, they don't lock their hips down the fall line.
snow report
rjs wrote:
Haggis_Trap wrote:

It won't feel normal to racers, they don't lock their hips down the fall line.

Apology : Messy terminology. However I don't think the racers are keeping "hips square to ski" either (as suggested above). There is rotational seperation.

As I see it : the primary difference in videos above (BASI Vs racer) seems to be the rounder turn shape ?
ski holidays
Haggis_Trap wrote:
However I don't think / see the racers are keeping "hips square to ski" either (as suggested above).

Look harder.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rjs wrote:
Haggis_Trap wrote:
However I don't think / see the racers are keeping "hips square to ski" either (as suggested above).

Look harder.

Look where ? When ?

In a short turn the upper body will travel straight down hill / fall line. The skis are deflected to either side in each turn. I wouldn't describe that as "hips square to ski". Even though skis are carving a degree of rotational seperation (which comes from head of femur) is required.
snow conditions
Haggis_Trap wrote:
In a short turn the upper body will travel straight down hill / fall line. The skis are deflected to either side in each turn. I wouldn't describe that as "hips square to ski". Even though skis are carving a degree of rotational seperation (which comes from head of femur) is required.

A racer will separate at the waist, upper body does travel straight down the fall line, the pelvis tracks round square to the skis. We teach this to really small kids when they start race training.
snow report
Jeezo, I just went to look for some of Ron Lemaster's photos, and apparently he was killed in a collision with a snowboarder in Dec:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/skier-who-died-in-collision-at-eldora-remembered-as-icon-of-snow-sports/ar-AARjTmw
snow report
@JamesHJ, There was a thread here when it was announced.
snow conditions
rjs wrote:
Haggis_Trap wrote:

A racer will separate at the waist, upper body does travel straight down the fall line, the pelvis tracks round square to the skis. We teach this to really small kids when they start race training.

Agree : Upper body straight down hill (in short turns) is a simple concept suitable for small kids.

What I question is that this means "pelvis tracks square to skis".
The rotational separation required has to come from the head of femur.
Which means pelvis (and upper body) has to travel "square to fall-line" (or as close to possible).

ski holidays
@Haggis_Trap, Believe what you want.
snow report
rjs wrote:
@Haggis_Trap, Believe what you want.

It's bio-mechanics

Rotational seperation of upper / lower body in ski turns comes from head of femur
snow conditions
Im with RJS on this one... and it is key to the difference in how racers and instructors ski shorts. Look again at the WC video and watch what the hip joint is doing on all of those skiers, men and women. Look at it closely and tell me if there hips are square to the skis or not. then compare to all the yoootube videos of instructors making hero turns on flat perfect groomers or the Austrian instructor video (0:52 run) above where they are trying to keep the pelvis calm and use loads of femur steering. the turns get very checky, punchy and aren't carved at all.

common misconception and I hear this all the time from instructors who don't understand how performance skiing works. Femur steering has its place, not generally in a race course when the athlete has the edges engaged and is arcing a turn looking for speed.

I agree with RJS on "A racer will separate at the waist, upper body does travel straight down the fall line, the pelvis tracks round square to the skis."

The Canadian race federation calls this type of separation "coil" and that makes much more sense to me when trying to ski fast than femur steering which is slow.
latest report
I have to agree with @skimottaret / rjs here, watching the BASI vids I think of myself (as a poor second class skier). The [ex]racers look much more like my daughter and how I would like to be skiing.
latest report
skimottaret wrote:

common misconception and I hear this all the time from instructors who don't understand how performance skiing works. Femur steering has its place, not generally in a race course when the athlete has the edges engaged and is arcing a turn looking for speed.
The Canadian race federation calls this type of separation "coil" and that makes much more sense to me when trying to ski fast than femur steering which is slow.

Certainly the racers are using more lateral movements to ensure clean carve. The BASI turns have more vertical movement and rotational seperation. The concept of "coil" not something taught in BASI, nor I suspect most instructor associations?
latest report
musher wrote:
I have to agree with @skimottaret / rjs here, watching the BASI vids I think of myself (as a poor second class skier). The [ex]racers look much more like my daughter and how I would like to be skiing.

Fwiw : I don't believe the video in first post is representive.
This one better : some very nice skiing?

Though fairer comparison with racers would be the L4 short videos (link below)
https://www.basi.org.uk/BASI/Courses/Alpine/Tech_standards/Alpine_technical_standards.aspx?WebsiteKey=211cffca-c436-4a06-844e-527af5a19586
snow report
@Haggis_Trap, "coil" was a term I heard when on a race coaching course delivered by a CSCF guy and It resonates with me as I tend to ski very square to the skis. If people want to carve better I for one don't spend a lot of time on Braquage type drills Wink

A wise, experienced race coach once told me that when skiing gates you should keep your pelvis as square to the skis for as long as you can... This keeps your legs and body in a strong position.

Countering of the hip joint should be a CONSEQUENCE of high edge angles and not an intentional move. That is bio mechanically correct as our our shins are forced into a fixed forward lean and as the inner leg shortens the pelvis must rotate.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy