Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New skier - First holiday - Words of wisdom?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all, first post... eep! I'm a new skier, been taking lessons at Hillend since Oct and even made it up to Glencoe a couple of weekends ago when they opened to snowsports. I've got a holiday booked over to Val Thorens at the start of Feb and would love to know if you have any words of wisdom to a brand new skier? Or words of caution for what NOT to do as a brand new skier!

I've got ski lessons booked each morning in a small adult class (only 4 of us max, and so far I'm the only booking they have) but I really want to make sure I'm not a pest to others on the slope.

Thanks!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You’ve done everything perfectly so far. The dry slope lessons will give you a huge kickstart, they did for me 41 years ago before a school ski holiday.

At your very early stage, in my opinion, I’d also take afternoon lessons.

Everyone I knew took all day lessons (with a nice long lunch-break) in the first few ski trips.

Finally, go with some fitness in the legs, especially the thighs! Cycling’s ideal, also reps of squats and stretching.

If you do ski out of lessons, stick to green and blue pistes.

I’m sure you’ll have a blast!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Val Thorens at end of Feb can be pretty chilly. Make sure you have a buff/neckie to seal the top of your jacket and pull up over your face (the Oxford ones are good, and cheap on ebay), and get some really good goggles - Oakley Prizm Rose are a good place to start. And if you simply wear goggles all the time on the hill they will just feel natural when on.

After lessons, don’t be afraid to find a piste you like and simply do laps. That can really bring on your skills.

And sleep. Some find it hard to sleep at Val T but try to get 8 hours in.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
When you're tired, listen to your body and finish the day a little early if needs be. Skiing tired is a sure way to lose your form and is often when injury happens. It will also mean you're ready to go the next day. Enjoy!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Welcome to snowHead

1. Get fit before going (eg. Lunges and squats for legs and work on flexibility)
2. Don't skimp on Gloves/Mittens plus Glove liners and get Goggles that can cope with a variety of light
3. Be prepared to go back to the Ski Hire shop if have any problems with kit eg. uncomfortable boots
4. Be aware of the mid week blues, where things can fall apart (mixture of fatigue and an overload of learning)
5. Don't do that "one last run" at the end of the day if feeling tired
6. Remember it's a holiday and not a ski Boot Camp.
7. Keep hydrated

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Tue 18-01-22 9:51; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Skiing is an addiction. Make sure you have plenty of capacity in your bank accoutn as very soon one holiday morphs into two and, may be, three per year. Assuming you are young and fit anad the knees can cope.

Oh, and whilst you are at it, do as much as you can whilst you are under 55-60 as the knees do start whining rather a lot past that age.

Laughing
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Everyone I knew took all day lessons (with a nice long lunch-break) in the first few ski trips

Some people I know did that (mostly in Austria where all day lessons are quite common) but my family, who learnt in Austria, only did morning lessons and in France, most ski schools offer either morning or afternoon lessons - people generally don't do all day.

I think mornings will be OK, particularly in a little group (check that there is no small print enabling the ski school to cut you down to fewer than 5 days if there are only one or two of you).

You'll be absolutely fine, having done a lot already, but of course more leg exercises are always a good idea.

Have a blast! And welcome to Snowheads. Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Enjoy yourselves, but hangovers hurt at altitude and if you're going on morning lessons, you may not want to go TOO large on the Apres Ski scene.

Glove liners are a real advantage - gloves get wet and make sure you take your liners out and get then dry every night.

You will not need as much stuff as you think you will - I guarantee you'll come home with stuff you never wore.

Day 3 will hurt - this is normal, it always does. Day 4 will be better.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Ciorsdah, on the safety angle. :-
Check uphill before you set off.
Stop at the side of the piste, not in the middle.

Enjoy, and welcome to snowheads snowHead
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
It's a holiday so enjoy it and embrace everything about it.
When skiing push yourself a tiny bit outside your comfort zone until that starts to feel comfortable. It's the best way to learn.
Treat yourself to plenty of hot chocolate (and add booze if that's your thing).
Get fit. Even if you are fit, get fitter.
The more you lean forward the less your thighs will burn.
Snow ploughing is the hardest form of skiing. It hurts.
Don't be afraid of falling over. It probably means you are doing all you can to learn as fast as you can.
Go to the Folie Douce. It's great fun.

Super jealous. My first week skiing was so much fun entering a new world almost. Love it.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Runs that are nicely groomed in the morning - can have bumps in the afternoon.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

When skiing push yourself a tiny bit outside your comfort zone

Hmm. Depends on your comfort zone. If you're very timid, that's good advice. If your comfort zone is a big one it might be as well to stay comfortable. We've all seen people (not always kids by any means) hurtling down out of control and relying on a flattening slope to slow them down.

My advice is always to stick to slopes your instructor has taken you on - and to be aware that later in the day that nice blue slope you turned carefully down in the morning might have turned into a mogul field scattered with people not coping.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So much good advice, especially about goggles as VT is above treeline so flat light is deadly...

I would add one bit: The most important piece of equipment is going to be your boots. If they are too loose, too tight, have pressure points, you are going to be miserable. I assume you're renting boots, so don't be afraid to tell the boot fitter if there's something wrong. Pay attention to how they fit on the shin, the heel pocket (snug!!) and around the ankle. And when you are putting them on, do the buckles in a certain order (everyone has a preference -- I do top 2 progressively tighter until heel is snugged back, then VERY lightly close front 2; adjusting after a few runs) and make sure the flaps are in the right place. Don't wear very thick socks or your feet will slosh around in the boots.

I would't worry about skis/poles -- they will be appropriate for your ability.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Excellent advice in this thread.

Getting fit now really does make a massive difference. Being cold is horrible, so layers and proper kit is essential. Particularly gloves. Don't buy crap ones. You can get decent gloves at a reasonable price these days. Staying hydrated is a must. If you don't, you'll wake up the next morning with a massive hangover, even if you haven't drunk any alcohol. I always have a litre camel on my back as well as several coffees, oranginas (and a few beers) throughout the day.

When you're learning, as pointed out above, you'll be doing lots of snowplough which is painful and burns a LOT of calories. Go armed with lots of high energy snack bars and munch them through the day.

It sounds obvious, but avoid poling, side stepping or duck walking if it can be avoided. I've lost count of the times I've seen beginners poling across a slope when all they need to do is point theirs skis 5 degrees down the slope and they will end up where they wanted anyway.

Going slow is much harder than going a bit quicker (but don't go out of control!).

Enjoy and have fun.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Old Fartbag wrote:

That's a good point. Learn which slopes are south facing and which are north facing. Do the south facing in the morning. They'll be hideous by the afternoon. Stick to the north facing in the afternoon.
snow report
Thank you all so much for these replies! Absolutely blown away with the advice and support Very Happy

I've invested in my own boots - years of highland dancing mean i have calves insanely large (the rental boots at hillend couldnt fix closed!) and I have a narrow foot, with a high instep.... so a delightful 4hrs at Ellis Brigham was spent trying on every boot imaginable, until a pair was pulled from the back of the shop and they worked!

I'm going to look at goggles now - my sister has given me her old Oakleys (might be the Prizm ones) Laughing
snow conditions
firstly you will be glad to hear that snow is much easier to ski on than the hillend matt, if you can ski hillend you can ski a green or even a blue. The only thing to bear in mind if you are a nervous skier is on the mountain you won't see the bottom of the slop.
You are no doubt used to the well worn hillend rental boots, the boots at a hire shop will be more snug but shouldn't hurt, if they hurt try another pair on.
I use Decathlon for a lot of clothes, equipment & I have no complaints, dont mistake cheap for crap.
latest report
Timmycb5 wrote:
Old Fartbag wrote:

That's a good point. Learn which slopes are south facing and which are north facing. Do the south facing in the morning. They'll be hideous by the afternoon. Stick to the north facing in the afternoon.

Slopes do often deteriorate with useage but in early Feb in a high resort like Val T it's not necessarily the south facing slopes that deteriorate most. North facing slopes can become increasingly scraped and icy.
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Everyone I knew took all day lessons (with a nice long lunch-break) in the first few ski trips

Some people I know did that (mostly in Austria where all day lessons are quite common) but my family, who learnt in Austria, only did morning lessons and in France, most ski schools offer either morning or afternoon lessons - people generally don't do all day.

I think mornings will be OK, particularly in a little group (check that there is no small print enabling the ski school to cut you down to fewer than 5 days if there are only one or two of you).

You'll be absolutely fine, having done a lot already, but of course more leg exercises are always a good idea.

Have a blast! And welcome to Snowheads. Very Happy

By swerving ESF, we got lucky then, our kids had am and pm lessons in Puy St Vincent.

The all day lessons we had back in the day, possibly because we used to go with tour operators, were in:

Various Italian resorts, Hochgurgl, Lake Louise/Banff, Winter Park CO, Obertauern.

Literally everyone took them.

Perhaps it's all changed now?

Really appreciated it, it pushed us on pretty rapidly.
latest report
Hire your equipment the evening you arrive, not on your first day of skiing. (not obvious on your first trip!)
Go back if the boots are uncomfortable, most places will replace them.
Buy your lift pass in advance if you can to avoid queuing. Take a photo of the code in case you lose it.
If money is tight eat a big breakfast and put a snack in your pocket, skip lunch on the hill.
Don't be tempted to drink and ski.
Have fun Smile
latest report
@Ciorsdah,
Coffee then carb filled brekkie
Go to put your boots on 15 minutes before you think you need to
Forget to put sunscreen on
Group lessons in the morning
Huge fat lunch with a lot of wine
Couple of easy runs in the pm if you can be bothered
Apres bar til your boots feel painful and someone tells you your face is burnt
Home for a snooze
Shower and facial moisturiser
Dinnertime with more wine, cheese, pud then shots in pub
Sleep peacefully
Wake up and do it all again.

Oh, on day 3, wake up with a stinking sore head and nosebleed, assume you are having an aneurysm until told its the altitude - phew !

Very Happy
snow report
@T Bar, true
latest report
As alluded to above a high altitude resort in early Feb may be very cold though not necessarily.
Decent base layers and definitely not cotton next to your skin will help. Merino wool works well and gets a lot less smelly than man made fibres.
snow report
Canuck wrote:
Hire your equipment the evening you arrive, not on your first day of skiing. (not obvious on your first trip!)
Go back if the boots are uncomfortable, most places will replace them.
Buy your lift pass in advance if you can to avoid queuing. Take a photo of the code in case you lose it.
If money is tight eat a big breakfast and put a snack in your pocket, skip lunch on the hill.
Don't be tempted to drink and ski.
Have fun Smile

Objection m'lud.

I always used to join the scrum on Saturday afternoon to get kitted out. Tired, grumpy kids in tow, waiting in line with everyone else and just wanting to get out of there.

One year, we arrived after the shops had closed. We got up the next day and wandered to the ski shop at 9am. Not a single person in front of us. The 5 of us were done and dusted in 15 mins from walking into the shops. I have never gone to a ski shop on a Saturday since.
snow report
The OP says she has boots so the worst bit of the scrum is avoided though it can still be busy.
ski holidays
Daft question... and perhaps one for another thread... but any recommendations for good greens I could try (maybe even a blue by the end of the week) in the resort? I'll have my lesson time myself, then in the afternoon I'll have some company to help me in the wilds to practice what i've learned.
snow conditions
You said you wanted to avoid being a pest for other people on the slopes, @twoodar said it above, but it can't be repeated too much:

Check uphill before you set off - everytime.

latest report
Don't Forget to put high factor sunscreen on - even on cloudy days or you will get burnt. And lip salve

Ski sunscreen is available - tends to be more waterproof that the summer stuff. It will need topping up during the day
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

but any recommendations for good greens I could try

Ask your instructor - a good instructor will tell you (when asked) what other runs you could try
snow report
pam w wrote:
Quote:

When skiing push yourself a tiny bit outside your comfort zone

Hmm. Depends on your comfort zone. If you're very timid, that's good advice. If your comfort zone is a big one it might be as well to stay comfortable. We've all seen people (not always kids by any means) hurtling down out of control and relying on a flattening slope to slow them down.

My advice is always to stick to slopes your instructor has taken you on - and to be aware that later in the day that nice blue slope you turned carefully down in the morning might have turned into a mogul field scattered with people not coping.

This is very true. My comment is fine I believe but requires a large number of caveats (which I did not give), one of which you have alluded to.
snow conditions
I assume you are talking pistes. If not I favour asparagus and broccoli. But back to snow…

You can practice on the learning slopes your instructor takes you to, but mostly forget greens. They usually are flat transit tracks. And therefore quite difficult for beginners to ski on - narrow flatness with no gradient is no place to initially learn good technique. If you are progressing, your instructor will take you onto manageable slopes - blues will have nice low gradient sections, just as reds will have ‘blue’ sections. And there’s no standards in the ratings - one resorts reds are another blue. Just use your instructor’s guidance and advice. Don’t be afraid to ask them as to what you should be doing and where you should be going in the afternoon.
latest report
Ciorsdah wrote:
Daft question... and perhaps one for another thread... but any recommendations for good greens I could try (maybe even a blue by the end of the week) in the resort? I'll have my lesson time myself, then in the afternoon I'll have some company to help me in the wilds to practice what i've learned.

Agree with the comments above about asking the instructor, if you've already had some lessons and practice you may well find yourself very comfortable on blues and thinking about reds before the end of the week. But be aware that things other people think will be simple for you you may not find so simple. 99% of a run can be straightforward but they may have forgotten the difficult 1%. Going with your instructors recommendations should keep you happy.
snow report
I hope you love every single second. Val Thorens has loads going on.

A ski trip for me is about more than just the skiing. It is about the whole being there: scenery, feel, apres (it needn't be raucous), watching people, the food, the drink, the equipment. It is the most absorbing hobby in the world.

There is much good advice here. But you will learn in time that ski preferences are like Marmite and to follow your heart.

In VT, layer up, it can get very cold, but alternatively, sun can be very warm and strong in a suntrap.
There are some really nice runs for a progressing learner (you never stop learning). But it can get bleak there in a white out.

Go up to the top of Cime Caron on the big cable car - it is spectacular and you can come back down on it and ski the bottom half of Caron back to resort as it is a nice wide blue.

Take a few packs of Ibuprofen - a few days in these can be the biggest godsend for fatigued limbs and not just in a mid 50s skier like me.

Even the best skier can ski like a ragged mess on a Tuesday or Wednesday when tired - these are great days for a late start, long lunch, early apres finish and basically a deckchair in the sunshine taking in the views.

Don't worry about taking loads of breaks and you can set yourself really achievable goals with a bit of piste map study and aiming for a hot chocolate stop, vin chaud/beer stop.

I don't necessarily agree with the "it's a holiday" comments, for me it's a ski trip......but the most important thing, like with all social pastimes is: you are there to enjoy it, so do what you enjoy
snow conditions
Ciorsdah wrote:
Thank you all so much for these replies! Absolutely blown away with the advice and support Very Happy

I've invested in my own boots - years of highland dancing mean i have calves insanely large (the rental boots at hillend couldnt fix closed!) and I have a narrow foot, with a high instep.... so a delightful 4hrs at Ellis Brigham was spent trying on every boot imaginable, until a pair was pulled from the back of the shop and they worked!

I'm going to look at goggles now - my sister has given me her old Oakleys (might be the Prizm ones) Laughing

Boots:

- Learn the correct way to put on your Boots eg. Correct order of buckles; kicking the heel back into heel socket
- Bottom 2 buckles only tight enough to stop them opening (use tip of little finger)
- If possible - put the Velcro power strap around inner boot (behind shell) Nb. This is not always possible

Goggles:

- Oakley Prizm lenses are ideal if avoiding the Darkest (Prizm Black/Dark Grey) or Lightest (Prizm Hi Pink)
- Don't wipe the inside of the goggles as anti fog coating very fragile
- Keep Goggles on your face or in their bag
- If Goggles do get wet, dry under hand dryer if possible; if not, dab moisture off with Goggle bag (bring up the mountain)

http://youtube.com/v/gGsZH3SqO-I

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Tue 18-01-22 11:34; edited 2 times in total
latest report
twoodwar wrote:
@Ciorsdah, on the safety angle. :-
Check uphill before you set off.

Enjoy, and welcome to snowheads snowHead

This. As with driving, consider your place in relation to others. Choose your stopping spot carefully and beware of not stopping mid slope if possible and certainly not underneath a ridge as those coming over that ridge won’t expect you to be there.

Wrap up - being too cold spoils everything.

If you can try your boots out near the shop before going up the mountain gain then do. And don’t ignore a niggling pain as it can escalate and you’ll be miserable (I did this years ago and ended up with a black nail).

Stop if you’re tired or you’ll start making mistakes and lose heart.

At cafe stops split your skis with others to deter theft/take a lock.

Have a lot of fun.
snow conditions
Paul33 wrote:
You said you wanted to avoid being a pest for other people on the slopes, @twoodar said it above, but it can't be repeated too much:

Check uphill before you set off - everytime.

And definitely don't do what our friends on trays do, which is to stop just underneath the knuckle of slope, smack in the centre, so your first sight of them is when they are 4 feet away whilst you're doing 30.
ski holidays
Get copies of the piste map (from the pass office or at the bigger lifts) and learn how to use it so you can figure out where you are if you stray down a piste you've not been on in a lesson. Also pay attention to what your pass covers - you might have a full 3V pass, or just a VT one, which won't cover you if you go over to Meribel or down the valley to Les Menuires.
snow report
Ciorsdah wrote:

Personally, I'd recommend sessioning the Gentaine blue-run down by the Caron bubble. It's extremely gentle and wide, and long enough to take your time with - I taught my youngest his first snowboarding lessons there, you have a gondola to go back up in at the bottom, so you can relax a bit and it doesn't get as busy as the green runs by the ski school area in the afternoon. There is a nice restaurant there too for lunch or if you need a break, and another gondola (Cairn) to go back up to the lower village on or up the Moutiere chair and across linoette and onto the greens for the upper village when you're done for the day.
snow report
1. Make a list of the copious amount of stuff you need up the mountain - and leave it ready for the morning eg. Piste Map; Gloves; Glove Liners; Lift Pass; Lip Salve/Sun Cream; Pain Killers; Wallet; Phone; Helmet; Goggles; Receipt for lessons on first day; Proof of any Insurance; Sustenance; Scarf

2. Photograph Lift Pass/Proof of insurance (in case you lose it)

3. Keep checking all pockets are zipped up...there can be as many as 10 pockets

4. Boots will likely need tightened through the day

5. Your nose Will run...so bring tissues

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Tue 18-01-22 12:24; edited 4 times in total
latest report
blacksheep wrote:
When you're tired, listen to your body and finish the day a little early if needs be. Skiing tired is a sure way to lose your form and is often when injury happens. It will also mean you're ready to go the next day. Enjoy!

Similarly, don't be 'too proud' to take the gondola down at the end of the first day/days. The home run can be 'busy' and chopped up.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy