Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What face mask are you using in Austria?

Poster: A snowHead
Off to Saalbach on 15th and was wondering what people who are actually skiing in Austria are using for face masks when skiing, ie on the lifts etc.

I know it has to be FFP2, is there any buff style masks allowed?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Only FFP2 masks are permitted.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Mankei, out of interest are they checking if the masks have FFP2 printed on them? Just on amazon myself looking to buy some and there is a huge choice, but no idea what is genuine or not!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@kitenski, it is generally clear if the mask is FFP2-compliant. Anything which looks different is likely to be checked. They are easily available throughout Austria, in all shops and supermarkts.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Also N95 is sometimes written. It is the same Standard as FFP2.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
is anyone actually checking? putting one of these on for lifts will be a right PITA especially when combined with a helmet.

Also useful to that as @Mankei mentioned FFP2, N95 and KN95 are all the same names for the same standard. European, US and China naming conventions.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Just spent 2 weeks in Austria. Most people are skiing with FFP2 mask around their chin then pushing it up for lifts. Having spent a couple of days taking helmet off and putting mask on at each lift soon got fed up with it and resorted to the mask on chin technique.

By the way plenty of FFP2 masks on Amazon UK
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Mankei, is right that FFP2 masks are easily purchased cheaply in all supermarkets in Austria. However, many of these are the "over the ears" type, rather than the "around the head" type. If you're going to buy then in advance, I'd seriously recommend buying the "around the head" type if possible. They are much easier to just leave in place, on or under the chin, when not in use. I find the "behind the ears" type quite painful when worn for long periods. Although I did see another thread on here somewhere showing how to mount the "behind the ears" type directly to a ski helmet, and one could always add an additional piece of elastic joining the two "ear holders" behind the head, but it is extra faff.

Another thing is that the elastic on these masks seem to break off from the mask quite easily. Buy a few and always carry a spare in your ski jacket.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Masks are checked and I saw lifties get very animated if people weren't wearing them.

I bought these. One broke but that was it, whereas I was half expecting a 100% failure rate within 24 hours. Was a lot easier than helmet on and off to put on each time, as it turns out I have either small or soft ears so just leaving it hooked over each time didn't work. I also saw instructors breaking the lower fastening on masks and tying the longer strings together for the same effect.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08DKLGWHZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1&tag=amz07b-21
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
As a spectacle wearer I've found that the FFP2 masks when over the mouth and nose don't steam up my glasses as much as the standard blue surgical masks do, I think it's because the FFP2 ones have a tighter seal at the top so less exhaled breath reaches the glasses. When skiing I can also easily lower the FFP2 mask to sit on my chin, so I've found the FFP2 masks actually better and more convenient to use than the surgical mask ones.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@crouchendyachtclub, that looks quite useful might have to get some.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Supposed to be FFP2:

"When buying an FFP2 mask, look out for the following:
• Labelled as FFP2 mask
• CE marking
• EN identification
• Four-digit number to
identify the certifying
testing institution
• No exhalation valve"

https://www.sozialministerium.at/dam/jcr:c22a8859-78aa-47cc-85a4-8d7a5ff5834d/210223_Coronavirus_FFP2-Maske_EN_PDFua.pdf

Available in lots of places in Austria, as mentioned (not bought any there myself) and Amazon https://www.amazon.co.uk/HARD-FFP2-Face-Mask-Germany/dp/B092VQVX1Q?tag=amz07b-21

No idea how closely anyone looks but why take the risk?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@2planks, BA have sent us a TXT that we will need to wear FP2 masks on our upcoming flight to Salzburg

We were in Austria pre Christmas and everyone was compliant with the FP2 requirements, as mentioned you can easily get them form the supermarkets for 59 cents, but will need to have one for arrival into Austria.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@radar, ok thanks
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
From a friend, currently in Saalbach:
“You definitely need to wear FFP2 masks in the gondolas, signs say you have to wear them on chair lifts too, but didn't seem to be anybody enforcing the chairs. We had to show vaccine certificates to eat in restaurant last night, phone app was fine even though it doesn't show booster. Mountain restuarnts didn't ask today but then you can't get a ski pass without vaccine certificate. Slopes relatively quiet”
ski holidays
In our ski area, telecabin and large chairlift loading stations with demountable chairs/rolling carpets are clearly signposted with the requirements to wear a mask. This is being rigorously enforced. Older style chair lifts and t-bar stations are less rigorously enforced regarding mask wearing.

By and large, anyone entering a lift loading area without a visible FFP2 mask is being stopped until they demonstrate they’re wearing the correct mask.
ski holidays
Do children have to wear FFP2 masks? I read somewhere that between the ages of 6 and 14 they only need cloth masks, but not sure if that's up to date info.
ski holidays
2planks wrote:
Off to Saalbach on 15th and was wondering what people who are actually skiing in Austria are using for face masks when skiing, ie on the lifts etc.

I know it has to be FFP2, is there any buff style masks allowed?

I’m also travelling to Saalbach on the 15th!

I was in Mayrhofen over Christmas and you will need FFP2 masks without question. You won’t be allowed in the plane without one and it was policed in resort by staff (people were regularly getting pulled up for not having the right mask or wearing it incorrectly).
ski holidays
Just back from Obergurgl/Solden. Lifts needed FFP2 and you largely weren't let in/on without one (much to the annoyance of those around). Solden was more strict than Obergurgl on the lifts but in both resorts the wearing of masks in shops/restaurants/bars was rigourously policed by staff. People in queues were generally loading in friend groups & weren't crowding chairs/bubbles already containing others. The only exception were the big gondolas up from resort in Solden, but even they weren't being packed, maybe around 50%.
snow conditions
Zell am See / Kaprun similarly strict on FFP2 both on lifts and in bars . . .daft in that when seated at packed tables in bars and you can remove them! Some shops are selling a neat little pair of clips that you attach to your google strap - this keeps the mask below your chin and out of the way when skiing but means you can quickly doff masks with gloves on without having to put the mask straps behind your ears (which WILL cause discomfort) or extend the straps and risk losing it every 10mins etc . . .
ski holidays
I have the same question about under 12s - it says they need a mask but doesn’t have to be an ffp2 so would a buff be ok? Just know my 9 year old will drop gloves, goggles or mask while taking it on and off so thinking a buff is easier! If not I’ll tie the mask to his ski jacket somehow!
snow report
I see Buff makes masks with a filter (https://www.buff.com/de_de/masken.html) do these count as fFP2?
ski holidays
SDenk wrote:
I see Buff makes masks with a filter (https://www.buff.com/de_de/masken.html) do these count as fFP2?

No, I don't think so, not in Austria.
latest report
The guidance says under 12s can wear normal medical masks (the paper ones). A buff will not count as a mask.
snow conditions
Tiefschneetaucher wrote:
The guidance says under 12s can wear normal medical masks (the paper ones). A buff will not count as a mask.

Thank you. I’ll pack some string to attach to a mask then, and stuff his pockets with a couple of spares rolling eyes
ski holidays
SDenk wrote:

I bought one for the PSB and they're not very good so wouldn't recommend. Difficult to keep the filter in place and a couple of other people I spoke to thought the same. But in any case it was not FFP2 certified.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy