Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

One stomp

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
https://vm.tiktok.com/ZM8EJJPD8/
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hopefully, nobody below. Shocked rolling eyes
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
That post is quite ironic, given that yesterday I'd hooked up with a mate who I've done a couple of trips with.

He also talked about the slide a guide we both know well and have skied with on numerous occasions and is local to La Grave.

They were above P2 and the Col Pylon just above the Rock Garden and he did exactly that, except he was transported down in the slide and the crown line as well over a meter high. Rolph described how he tried to ski down, but the slide had exposed down to the rock and it was very steep, his phone rang and he ignored it, then rang again and it was the guide saying he was ok.

The guide eventually clambered back up with both skis and poles as there were some skiers in the Rock Garden who helped him find his gear.

What as ever is frightening when you hear these stories is this is a guide who has probably skied that line over 20+ x a season since 96!

Had a cold chill hearing the story.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
brianatab wrote:
Hopefully, nobody below. Shocked rolling eyes

He said he was sure there was no one below but I’m not sure how you can be certain with a slide that big/fast. More of the story here if you’re interested (and read French)
https://www.instagram.com/tv/CPnHhfXnFCp/?utm_medium=copy_link
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Weathercam wrote:

What as ever is frightening when you hear these stories is this is a guide who has probably skied that line over 20+ x a season since 96!

It's probably exactly that that's the problem! Heuristics affect experts too, and it's almost impossibly difficult to approach everything with the same caution as the first time you ride it.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Every year in the Avi stats there is normally a few guide or ski instructors. This is not to say they are unsafe or course not that have some of the best training for this environment. I remember a friend telling he went to an international seminar of avalanche rescue at La Grave and one of the guest speakers brought in to give a talk, managed to set one off (by mistake) during the lunch time ski.

As Clarky said even guides can fall to heuristic traps, they are only human (well most of them I am sure I know a few who are part machine), especially when you consider how many decisions they have to get right through out a season.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Mon 3-01-22 17:55; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

I remember a friend telling he went to an intention seminar of avalanche rescue at La Grave and one of the guest speakers brought in to give a talk, managed to set one off (by mistake) during the lunch time ski.

There's a rather famous incident in Colorado a few years back. A group doing an avi course got buried. Multiple fatality.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
How did he know how much snow was going to slide? He’d have looked foolish if the snow under his left ski had followed that which was under his right ski…
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@kditrj2d, I think that looking foolish would be the least of his worries if his left foot had gone.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@kditrj2d, @Markymark29, in effect that's how I understood the La Grave guide went, as my friend who was there and told me, at the time he was checking the snow, as he has done on frequent occasions when I've skied with him.
Can't ask him as he's working down in the Antarctic!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
abc wrote:
Quote:

I remember a friend telling he went to an intention seminar of avalanche rescue at La Grave and one of the guest speakers brought in to give a talk, managed to set one off (by mistake) during the lunch time ski.

There's a rather famous incident in Colorado a few years back. A group doing an avi course got buried. Multiple fatality.

Justin Trudeau's brother, Michel, was killed when an avalanche swept him into a lake and he drowned. My memory of the news at the time was that he was on an avi training course but Wiki [which is never wrong] says he was backcountry skiing.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Slight thread divert. Every of piste session I've done, the guides etc have told me not to use pole straps , yet this chap spends some time making sure he's in his straps? Any reason?

How many stomps does he do before he thinks it's ok to ski? I guess that's just gut feelings?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@endoman, personal preference. Some people like straps and are prepared to live with the potential downsides
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy