Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Adult focused ski carving technique camps in the Alps?

Poster: A snowHead
I also would like to inquire whether anyone can point me to adult focused ski carving technique camps (or at least experienced instructors) in the Alps?
Would prefer a camp, as costs are a factor for me. My past experience with instructors has also been somewhat dissapointing, hence would much prefer someone with focus on carving technique and familiar with challenges of learning to carve as an adult.
Austria, Italy or Eastern Europe would be ideal.
Many thanks.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Not answering your question but what skis have you got?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Not a camp, but if you are in Bansko, try Snow Peaks Ski school (just opposite the lift car park). Ask for Alexandra, she is Albert Popov’s sister and was a ~35 point FIS racer in her own right.

I had a fabulous two hour lesson with her and would highly recommend. I might have time to expand upon it later, but I have felt that some UK based ski instructors (who run camps) are rather dogmatic in their approach. She solved a problem I had been struggling with for years.

As an aside, I have had some very good ESF lessons in France by asking for a young instructor who just finished their racing career. Some of those young thrusters are very good.

Next… ski camps….
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@ZuikiZ, why specifically carving? There are plenty of technique camps in the Alps, but I think you'll struggle to find one focused on carving, as it's just one technique, that is only useful in some fairly particular conditions and circumstances. If you post where you're thinking of skiing, you'll hopefully get some recommendations for good instructors who will focus a lesson on what you're looking for.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
For ski camps, I would say that one of THE best to ski with is Dave Morris. In particular, he normally runs a L2A camp in late June. This is ideal for trying a bit of GS skiing if that interests you? There are often a mix of young athletes and parents.

These camps are also ideal for meeting people. I’ve subsequently taken part in privately organised weeks with Amanda Pirie, who I strongly recommend.

There is of course also snoworks, they do some carving dedicated camps too. Typically a bit more expensive, especially the all inclusive deals. I’ve very much enjoyed skiing with them, but as alluded to above, on occasion, they can be a little dogmatic IME.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sat 1-01-22 18:57; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Sorry, Punter ski carving desires are my special skiing subject snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
sugarmoma666 wrote:
@ZuikiZ, why specifically carving? There are plenty of technique camps in the Alps, but I think you'll struggle to find one focused on carving, as it's just one technique, that is only useful in some fairly particular conditions and circumstances.

Because Brexit, Covid and Macron or something (we have to argue on Snowheads right?)… no actually it’s because it is the most fun bit of skiing wink The other bits are progressively less interesting as the % of carved turn decreases snowHead

It feels amazing, looks amazing, and is amazingly hard to do properly. Many think they can do it like the racers, most can’t… including me! I sometimes manage a short string of good turns in a row which leaves me Very Happy for the rest of the morning snowHead
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rjs wrote:

Have multiple skis. Currently on amateur slalom skis (few years old K2 Velocity), but I don't like them and thinking about a replacement once spring sales get going.
It is a difficult topic, as I struggle with some skis to the point where I cannot find my balance. Just recently tried Atomic X9 175 rentals, which have rave reviews, but I was not able to find either tip or tail on these. Had to go back to the rental shop to pick up Fischer SCs, which were way more skiable and lots of fun after a few runs.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
P.s I understand that the top level of Italian ski instruction is one of the very best for ski racing.

I have no particular contacts for Italy, but would recommend talking to Simon at the European Ski School in L2A:

https://www.europeanskischool.eu/about-us/instructors

Dual qualified in the UK and Italy and a great skier, teacher and bloke. I believe they sometimes work in ITA as well.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
sugarmoma666 wrote:
@ZuikiZ, why specifically carving? There are plenty of technique camps in the Alps, but I think you'll struggle to find one focused on carving, as it's just one technique, that is only useful in some fairly particular conditions and circumstances. If you post where you're thinking of skiing, you'll hopefully get some recommendations for good instructors who will focus a lesson on what you're looking for.

In short - personal preference. I ski mostly groomers.
I mainly ski in Italy near Milan (Monterosa, Bormio, Passo Tonale) or Austria (Stubai and Stubaital resorts, also Kitzsteihorn at the end of the season).
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
JamesHJ wrote:
sugarmoma666 wrote:
@ZuikiZ, why specifically carving? There are plenty of technique camps in the Alps, but I think you'll struggle to find one focused on carving, as it's just one technique, that is only useful in some fairly particular conditions and circumstances.

Because Brexit, Covid and Macron or something (we have to argue on Snowheads right?)… no actually it’s because it is the most fun bit of skiing wink The other bits are progressively less interesting as the % of carved turn decreases snowHead

It feels amazing, looks amazing, and is amazingly hard to do properly. Many think they can do it like the racers, most can’t… including me! I sometimes manage a short string of good turns in a row which leaves me Very Happy for the rest of the morning snowHead

+1
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ZuikiZ wrote:
rjs wrote:

Have multiple skis. Currently on amateur slalom skis (few years old K2 Velocity), but I don't like them and thinking about a replacement once spring sales get going.
It is a difficult topic, as I struggle with some skis to the point where I cannot find my balance. Just recently tried Atomic X9 175 rentals, which have rave reviews, but I was not able to find either tip or tail on these. Had to go back to the rental shop to pick up Fischer SCs, which were way more skiable and lots of fun after a few runs.

I’ve always got on well with Rossignol Hero’s of various kinds. You probably want to avoid the bottom of the range, which from memory are rather soft with a slightly shorter radius, and try the Elite ones. Depending upon how you get on, the Rossi FSI slalom skis used to be regarded as the easiest of their class to start with.

If you start really going down the rabbit hole, you will also end up obsessing about diamond files and early morning time ups as well!

Happy skiing!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Oh yes, and you want some nice boots. Blue ones like these:

https://www.lange-boots.com/product/rs-130

Don’t listen to the old fart boot fitting types on here, she’ll be alright snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@ZuikiZ, If I was teaching an adult to carve turns then I would want them to be on something that would work at low speeds on a fairly flat slope with a small sidecut radius. You might want to do a lesson on something like the Fischer SC even if you want to buy something different later.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
And:

https://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Skiing-Ron-LeMaster/dp/0736079599?tag=amz07b-21
ski holidays
JamesHJ wrote:
ZuikiZ wrote:
rjs wrote:

I’ve always got on well with Rossignol Hero’s of various kinds. You probably want to avoid the bottom of the range, which from memory are rather soft with a slightly shorter radius, and try the Elite ones. Depending upon how you get on, the Rossi FSI slalom skis used to be regarded as the easiest of their class to start with.

If you start really going down the rabbit hole, you will also end up obsessing about diamond files and early morning time ups as well!

Happy skiing!

I fancy Dynastar FIS 165 SL skis, the ones that Noel is skiing in the WC. I am a tall skinny guy, just a tad shorter than him. I just can't find these skis in any rental shops and would love to try them. I read that Dynastar / Rossi are the same ski just a different topsheet.
snow report
ZuikiZ wrote:
JamesHJ wrote:
ZuikiZ wrote:
rjs wrote:

Happy skiing!

I fancy Dynastar FIS 165 SL skis, the ones that Noel is skiing in the WC. I am a tall skinny guy, just a tad shorter than him. I just can't find these skis in any rental shops and would love to try them. I read that Dynastar / Rossi are the same ski just a different topsheet.

Rossi do summer ski tests in the glaciers I think?

Some of the above mentioned ski instructors (and posters!) can get ‘club’ prices for these skis btw.

Edit: I am wildly in love with my Rossi hero FIS skis. My understanding apropos the dynastar models is the same as yours.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sat 1-01-22 18:45; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
@ZuikiZ, You could ask if Technosport do demo rentals.
ski holidays
rjs wrote:
@ZuikiZ, You could ask if Technosport do demo rentals.

FIS skis do not come with demo bindings, no? Would be impossible to set the bindings for different boot sole lenghts.
latest report
Quote:

Would be impossible to set the bindings for different boot sole lengths.

They managed very well at the Oktoberfest, only took them five mins to swap between sole lengths on the Dynastar SL FIS skis
ski holidays
@ZuikiZ, The plates are pre-drilled, you just unscrew the bindings and move them to a different set of holes. I have skied on a demo pair of Dynastar WC SL indoors in the UK, as have several other Snowheads at an Octobertest day, they were not fitted with demo bindings.

I don't think the Technosport website is complete, they had all brands of race ski in stock the last time I was in the shop.
snow report
Just out of curiosity, what’s a demo binding?
ski holidays
JamesHJ wrote:
Just out of curiosity, what’s a demo binding?

The one which is adjustable for different ski boot sizes without tools.
They are not as sturdy as fixed bindings, and are mainly used for rental skis.
snow report
Thanks!
snow report
Or you could always try one of the camps run by Klaus Mair in Montafon, Austria. Details on https://sofaski.com/

Klaus has released 3 ski videos with lots of carving advice and you'll find plenty of content on his youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/c/KlausMair
snow report
Stomp It tutorials do a piste focused camp in Switzerland, looks fun but pricey…
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy