Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Extras when buying a board

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone have any tips and recommendations when buying a board, for extra accessories and equipment that people might not think about?

Some items that I can think of:-
Luggage of some sort
Wax and something to apply it with
A cable lock?

I know you can get those big roller cases and I'm wondering how useful they are considering weight limits and it looks like they can buckle under their own weight? But then again may be useful for family travel down the line, although if driving they would take up the whole car? I'm inclined to get a smaller shoulder type bag which can double up when visiting a snow dome and that can still be stuffed with boots and stuff when flying, along with separate hand luggage.

So what are your experiences? What do you wish you bought (or hadn't bothered with!). Any specific recommendations?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've got a big roller bag (some aging unknown Dakine one - done about 15 trips now and tough as old boots). I stuff it with boots, bindings, rockhopper board, spare gloves, spare trousers and jacket, file screwdriver etc. No different to a floppy shoulder bag once you've got the board inside. Once they're packed they're pretty self supporting in wheeling mode.

Yes to service stuff - wax, scraper, Iron, files etc.

Cable lock only makes you feel better, if it's small enough/light enough to carry it'll probably break up really easily - visual deterent only really. I still use one though.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Bag - go big! Lots of airlines dont batter an eyelid if it doubles up as a suitcase & BA lets you take a snowboard bag as your normal luggage.
You can always pick up a cheap skin to take to the fridge - ie one that prob would not stand up to the baggage handlers mishandling.
I picked up one of these for £12 during out of season for the missus board. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Burton-Space-Shoulder-Straps-Travel/dp/B06XBGKMKL?tag=amz07b-21

Pipe lagging - cheap foam to protect the edges, tip & tail when in transit!

Tools! Both small pocket size to get you out of a fix & a decent one you can grip back in the accommodation
Bindings, Stomp Mat/Pad.

Waxing... prob easier to just pay to get it done. Less faff, less mess. You can get some spray on 'waxes' for use in the fridge. Really depends at what price point it is worth it.
I certainly don't carry it abroad with me.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Extra Money..... to replace the rubbish you thought was a good idea .

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Fri 31-12-21 14:54; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Mr.Egg wrote:
Waxing... prob easier to just pay to get it done. Less faff, less mess............I certainly don't carry it abroad with me.

I like a bit of a wax up, a few beers, good music and the smell of wax around my mancave....... puts me in a very good mood.

I don't take mine abroad either. I use some datawax all temp bars, if it's super cold (-20 or less I get a local waxer to fire over a more suitable wax. Other than that once does a couple of weeks. Slather on a storage coat before putting away give me a chance to have a good look at the board to see if it needs any TLC too.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Only buy stuff once you know you need it. Most stuff you don't need.

If you want to wax your own board you can buy tools for that, but most people will get a shop to do it at a resort, once you know the temperature. You can carry gear, but it's heavy and not worth it in my experience.

Bags... well you can stick it in the hold without but I've only seen that on internal flights. Soft roller cases are the most common for UK people (ie: flight use) and these days they work fine. They don't "buckle" because you put the board(s) in the bottom. Weight wise they vary, with hard cases weighing considerably more than soft. It's not a problem to carry boots/ bindings and a couple of boards plus avalanche gear and all the clothing in under 23kgs. Weight is not a problem there. Air Canada take ski/ snowboard bags for free and I think in addition to your bags of dancing clothes etc.

Those bags are mostly not waterproof so you need plastic bags if using a roof rack etc.
I don't use a bag at all for snowdomes - I just stick the board in my (mid engined) car. Those shoulder bag things (also called "socks") are for that sort of use but seem like more stuff I don't need.

Lock. I use a cable lock for my more esoteric/ expensive boards. I'd not leave an expensive board/bindings on the snow whilst I get a coffee any more than I'd leave a £1,000 plus camera there. Standard locks are pretty thin but it's easy to find non-snowboard specific locks which are a bit beefier.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'm with rogg, I like to wax my board myself before I go.
If you use a decent wax, and take time to do a good job, it's pretty likely it will last a week without any more.

My friends take Zardoz which seems to help get a bit of extra speed on the flats.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Extra Money..... to replace the rubbish you thought was a good idea .

Hahaha, exactly what I want to try to avoid!! Come to mention it, don't really need a board either if we're not going to be allowed to have a winter holiday in Europe any more...
Quote:

most people will get a shop to do it at a resort

What sort of price is this generally? Do you have to leave it with them or is a while-u-wait type of thing? Like most things, I like the idea of doing it myself (and doing it properly, half naked in the man cave, inhaling the fumes, beer in hand) but in reality it's always a mad rush before a trip and I won't get time. This sounds like the best option in the short term.
Quote:

Pipe lagging - cheap foam to protect the edges, tip & tail when in transit!

Love it, nice idea. I was thinking of wrapping it in that foam package sheeting but this is good too and longer lasting
Quote:

Tools! Both small pocket size to get you out of a fix

Hmm, have to say I've never carried a tool while riding rentals but thinking maybe I should (even more so). I had been planning to grab a few things from the tool box to take but not on the slope. I'll add that to the list. I can see they do specific tools but what would you say you actually need? Would just a stubby no2 screwdriver and maybe a pocket knife of some kind do it?
Quote:

Most stuff you don't need.

I hope so!! It all adds up.
Quote:

Standard locks are pretty thin but it's easy to find non-snowboard specific locks which are a bit beefier.

I'm thinking of something compact like this https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Dakine-10002709-Cool-Lock-Green/dp/B07PVZJP9T?tag=amz07b-21 - I think it's like with bikes; if someone wants it they'll take it. But a lightweight cable stops the opportunist or honest error. If nothing else it makes an insurance claim easier I'd guess.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@silentice,
I have never paid more than 15 euro for a waxing.
Usually a lot less.
A lot is about timings as well.
If you can get away with a waxing between 3rd & 4th day for example - that is one week 1 & 2 week 2, depending on cost it may be easier to just cough up 15 euro / 30 euro. Taking away an iron adds weight. Wax falling from the board & onto the flloor is Fitzwilliam elbow grease!
At the end of the day… decide later.
Personally, I wax 2 boards before we go. When my missus didnt have a board, I would just pay in resort as Id rather be drinking beer than waxing my board, legs, back, balls or tache.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

likely it will last a week without any more

Quote:

If you can get away with a waxing between 3rd & 4th day for example

This is the main off-putting thing about maintenance and I didn't plan to take waxing kit away. I thought I could do it once at home and be good for a week (at least). I'm sure some riders never wax and don't notice/care but if you end up wanting/needing it every few days that's a drag (no pun intended).

Thinking about waxing, in the context of extras, while searching for boards I noticed Absolute Snow are offering a permanent base treatment called Phantom. There's another thread on here about that. A bit concerning for us it sounds like at low speeds it's quite grippy (doesn't sound nice when one-footing off a lift or on the flats) and I'd be a bit afraid to ruin the base. Sounds like such an obvious upsell for retailers that it seems off that this or similar isn't widely available. But I do wonder if it's actually any good.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Don't forget that waxing skis or boards isn't a clean/neat exercise (if it is you are probably doing it wrong). So before lugging a kilo+ of wax, scrapers, iron, edge files etc, think about where you are going to do the waxing. Does your accommodation have a ski room with a bench they are happy to let you use.

I know of plenty of accommodation owners who have found that their guests thought it would be a good idea to wax their board in their room after a couple of beers, and find bedding or carpets covered in melted wax rolling eyes
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I find spray on liquid waxes to be good enough for a top-up wax during a holiday.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
silentice wrote:
This is the main off-putting thing about maintenance and I didn't plan to take waxing kit away. I thought I could do it once at home and be good for a week (at least). I'm sure some riders never wax and don't notice/care but if you end up wanting/needing it every few days that's a drag (no pun intended).

A home wax will do a full week away with no trouble if done right. If you want a top up or change of temperature in resort, fine. Most places are set up to drop in in the evening, pick up first thing in the morning - usually open before first lifts...... pick one near the lift base and you're golden.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
While away - warm up the board in the hotel room, crayon on the wax. Rub it in hard with a cork block. Rub it off with a green kitchen pad.

If you get a huge wheelie bag, it will buckle if your board is 154 and the bag is 168cm. Get the right size or carry some full length pieces of garden bamboo.

My Burton wheelie is used to the max and it's still all good.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
And a new board - how exciting snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow conditions
I would say that you don't need piping or protection for your board in a decent low roller. Never had a board damaged over 12 years of flying out. Pack it right with board at the bottom, remove bindings and fill the spaces and you're good.

Get a lock just to stop an honest (or otherwise) mistake.

I wax both boards before I leave and they last 2 weeks which is the longest I can normally stay. For 1 week trips I take one board but it depends where I'm going and if on a course or not.

You'll need a pocket screwdriver to mount your bindings and adjust them when needed. I would see screw drivers everywhere around resort and when I forgot to bring my own on one trip, man what a ball breaker. I couldn't find one when I needed it. What boards are you thinking of buying?
ski holidays
I'm with @philwig, on this. Buy only when you know you need it. I have so much extra ski and snowboard gear I don't need but can't bring myself to sell or chuck. "Bargains" and old collectables I tell my wife.

I also second to go big on the bag. Buy quality, it'll get abused by luggage handlers. I have 15yr old Dakine Low Roller, used around 40-50 times, travelled the globe. Zip handles broken but fixed with the cable tie trick. Doubles up as suitcase. Also I can squeeze in short skis into it. Size is perfect for the 23kg target. Two boards and touring kit is a squeeze admittedly. I can get it in a tiny rental car easy.

Wax lasts a week. I do it at home like a pre-trip ritual. I bought a cheap normal iron from a charity shop.

Always have spare goggles, gloves, hat and neck warmer on me.

Regrets....Bataleon - Jam, stomp pads, boot driers...
latest report
Quote:

And a new board - how exciting

snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead I feel like a kid in a sweet shop... but I've only got 50p
Quote:

If you get a huge wheelie bag, it will buckle if your board is 154 and the bag is 168cm

Hmm yes, this is what I was referring to, I've noticed a lot of banana shaped bags even on relatively few trips I've done. My boards will likely be fairly long, around 160-162 for all mountain but if I end up in future getting into freeride or split board that could be a lot longer, although there's always volume shifted boards to consider. There's no risk of me buying skis although might have to carry some at some point if the Mrs or kiddo get into it.
I've done a bit of research on wheelie bags this weekend after the consensus above and sensible size would seem to be 165ish. Might not be future proof but I'm not sure it's worth getting a 175+cm bag, I'd imagine I'd really need to stuff them to keep the shape. I'm leaning towards a Burton Wheelie Gig because it's a bit wider and longer than the Dakines at 33cm and takes a 166 board. At 162, boards seem to have tip widths 30-32cm which is wider than the dakines. Main downside of Burton looks like the Dakines will be great quality and come with the extra packing cubes. Other down side of any of those bags is there will probably be 10 identical ones at the collection area.
My original thinking about a shoulder bag was that I had seen a comment about only packing it light because oversize luggage can end up lost or 4 days late and at least you can hire gear if you have your own clothes to wear and change into. I've never lost luggage myself but then I've never taken anything oversize either so that seemed to make sense. Although the European airline hand luggage policies are making that harder, on the pocket.

Quote:

I have so much extra ski and snowboard gear I don't need but can't bring myself to sell or chuck.

I'm trying to buy smart as well, hence making a list. Already have a lot of paraphernalia. I think I'll forego the wax kit, for now at least.
Quote:

I bought a cheap normal iron from a charity shop.

I did wonder why not, I'm sure we have an old one somewhere although the base is probably not ideal, can't imagine burnt on polyester is good for glide. Although the family iron doesn't see much work these days Cool
Quote:

I find spray on liquid waxes to be good enough for a top-up wax during a holiday.

I'll look into this. Saw on amazon a rub on wax- Butta? - and also some ptfe additive you can wipe on each day to prolong a regular wax (but not nice on the environment). Trying to find out more about Phantom as it applies to snowboarding (rather than skis) certainly don't want to make the glide worse as a result. If it ends up more as a "better than nothing" backup underneath a wax then it becomes less worth it.
Quote:

What boards are you thinking of buying?

I have a short list and demoed a couple and I'll share later. It's proving difficult to source the boards I'm interested in, in correct sizes, even from shops selling full price RRP. I don't know if it's because it's still too early or shipments are delayed or because I'm too late and they've sold out, or the board companies or retailers have scaled back production/stock levels and so there're less around. It's led me to look into Europe but similar story and I'm not sure it's worth the hassle of import duty and... I'm not desperate to buy, especially if I won't get away this year in the end with all the uncertainty. I could see the benefits of getting another week under my belt not least because the buying process has led me to think about things I've never noticed about boards while renting and I'd prefer to buy a keeper with longevity if I'm going to. For example I'm sensitive to boot overhang now because thinking back and looking at the wear on my boots there are times when I think that's caused me issues and I'd like to pay attention to it.

A small glimmer of hope is I tried on some new boots (was planning to keep my current ones for now) and found I fit a half size down in those, which puts me on medium bindings and opens up other board sizes potentially (although weight is a factor, I'm towards the top end of most board spec tables due to my height). Not really sure if I should get medium or large bindings, old boots are uk10 32 lashed which is already the bottom end of a Large/top of Medium in some brands.
Quote:

stomp pads

Seem to divide opinion. I wasn't going to bother, or maybe get one to bring along and return if not actually needed. But some swear by them giving more control when one-footing. It's not an expensive mistake though (assuming you can get the glue off afterwards). I find them a bit ugly apart from anything.
snow report
silentice wrote:

Quote:

I did wonder why not, I'm sure we have an old one somewhere although the base is probably not ideal, can't imagine burnt on polyester is good for glide. Although the family iron doesn't see much work these days Cool

I bought a €6 Tescos value steam Iron about 15 years ago. I've been using it ever since. It works fine.
ski holidays
silentice wrote:

A small glimmer of hope is I tried on some new boots (was planning to keep my current ones for now) and found I fit a half size down in those, which puts me on medium bindings and opens up other board sizes potentially (although weight is a factor, I'm towards the top end of most board spec tables due to my height). Not really sure if I should get medium or large bindings, old boots are uk10 32 lashed which is already the bottom end of a Large/top of Medium in some brands.

So with boots there are ones that have a reduced footprint which helps alot if you're between binding sizes. I'm a 9.5 uk boot and on medium bindings. I think the 32s are not reduced footprint from memory.
ski holidays
Spiky stomp pads hurt like fk if you fall over one footing and land of them!

Never use them.

Would second the comments about not getting a too long bag. I picked up a burton board locker? used and real cheap, think it’s about 180cm. Pain in the back bottom to drag round with a 168 board in it, and too heavy to stuff with clothes and still come in under 23kg for flying. It’s a good bag for road trips but not flying. Definitely worth making your bag stand out against the crowd too - seen quite a few occasions of people getting the wrong ones - chuck some coloured luggage straps around it.

Be careful with cheap irons too. Used them for years until I managed to melt a patch on my base when it went wrong. They get hot spots where a proper wax iron will heat its whole area more consistently and hold a steady temperature.
latest report
My 175 roller works well, usually my single hold bag full to 22kg and fine for a week of everything. Wrap your board with all your gear to protect it.

I wax my board and it lasts a week quite easily, although I do sharpen my edges every day or two. When doing a season I will take all my waxing gear, if a short trip I will just wax before I go and last it out.

If you are just on a week or two holidays a year I would not bother with getting an iron etc and just have it serviced in the resort.

Extras …
Leash maybe
Little tool to tighten or adjust bindings
File or sharpening contraption
Lock, a lightweight retractable wire one that can wrap around a few boards and acts as a deterrent
ski holidays
rogg wrote:
silentice wrote:

Quote:

I bought a €6 Tescos value steam Iron about 15 years ago. I've been using it ever since. It works fine.

I have a tiny travel iron that folds that works really well.
latest report
Less is more.
In resort get it serviced at the shop, they normally do a decent job, and saves you faff and holiday time.
Most lifts have a a variety of tools at top or bottom, so you can generally tighten up any loose screws there.
Stomp pads - nah, just put your foot against the back binding, the contact provides more stability and control than 4mm of fancy foam.
A bag is a good idea though, if you're gonna cart it around.
Never used a lock, it sits badly with my ideals of assuming people are decent, and trust.
Also I tend not to go to pikey resorts where stuff gets nicked, or leave my board unattended for any length of time.
Personally I do not have wrist guards or knee / elbow protection, but I do use a back protector and helmet.
ski holidays
silentice wrote:
... My boards will likely be fairly long, around 160-162 ... At 162, boards seem to have tip widths 30-32cm which is wider than the dakines.
I just checked and my current Dakine 157 is 30cm wide at the tip. That's the minimum width - it's a flexible bag.

silentice wrote:
... Main downside of Burton looks like the Dakines will be great quality and come with the extra packing cubes. Other down side of any of those bags is there will probably be 10 identical ones at the collection area.
I've had both brands, several versions, and for the top of the line of each I couldn't tell you which was "better quality". The Burton had/has more "features", if you like that sort of thing.

I bought this current bag from Absolute Snow, where a year or two back they were discounting the womens' version.
Dakine confirmed that the sex difference was... just colours. I look forward to an LBGTQ+ coloured bag next time around.
Now I have a lovely girly coloured bag and I've never seen one the same.

silentice wrote:
...... oversize luggage can end up lost or 4 days late and at least you can hire gear if you have your own clothes to wear and change into. I've never lost luggage myself but then I've never taken anything oversize either so that seemed to make sense. ...
In my experience it's rare for anything to go missing on a non-stop flight, outsized or not. If you have to switch planes the risk is significantly larger.
I always plan for the worst however: never put anything you can't borrow/rent in the hold, irrespective of the size of it.
snow report
@WindOfChange, i had my board taken at Verbier while buying my lift pass, it was just 10 meters away and I kept glancing over at it.

A similar board was left so it was a case of mistaken identity and it turned up a while later when I checked where I left it just in case.

I always try to keep my board in sight but a lock would have prevented this and saved me an hour at the police station.
snow conditions
I bought a super basic soft shoulder bag. It's been absolutely fine, once packed with board and clothes it's pretty much indestructible. Bags with wheels are certainly a bit more convenient, but for most people they never carry their bag more than 100m anyway (car to check in desk tends to be as far as it gets), so you can certainly get by without.

As for bags being unidentifiable or too similar to others just decorate it in some way - coloured ribbon tied around the handle, some electrical tape wrapped around the end.

Waxing my own boards has saved me a small fortune and gives me some flexibility that I can wax as and when needed and use wax most suitable for upcoming weather. Pre covid I was doing 60-90 days per season though so it's a bit different, not sure I'd bother taking an iron for a 1 week trip (although if you are only doing 1 or 2 weeks a year renting probably makes much more sense than the hassle of buying, maintaining, and transporting your own board). I'd say wax usually lasts at least a week, warm weather wax doesn't seem to last as long as colder or all weather, and if conditions are particularly icy it will scrape it off quicker. Old normal iron is fine.

I don't think there's any evidence that oversized luggage gets lost more frequently? The usual problem is bags being delayed because they miss the transfer, which I suspect equally effects bags of all sizes. Even with short transfers the bags being delayed is rare. Of course keep any valuables and important things in hand luggage as a precaution but I wouldn't get overly worried about it as it's unlikely, out of your control, and the airline's tend to do a good job of forwarding it onto you a day or two later.

You will need a tool to attach your bindings onto your board when you arrive, and nice to have for any evening adjustments - a regular screwdriver will do. Places I ski there tends to be tools available at the top and bottom of every lift so use them for everything else.

I don't use a lock, tend to eat a packed lunch on the chair/gondola, and only time my board gets left alone is a quick toilet stop. If I was having long lunches and leaving my board out for longer periods I'd definitely consider a lock just for peace of mind and it's no real hassle to carry.

Things like leashes and stomp pads you really don't need.
ski holidays
LittleBullet wrote:
I also second to go big on the bag. Buy quality, it'll get abused by luggage handlers. I have 15yr old Dakine Low Roller, used around 40-50 times, travelled the globe. Zip handles broken but fixed with the cable tie trick. Doubles up as suitcase. Also I can squeeze in short skis into it. Size is perfect for the 23kg target. Two boards and touring kit is a squeeze admittedly. I can get it in a tiny rental car easy.

+1 for this. My Dakine low roller is 20 years old now and only on its last trip did a handle break. Since I mainly use the pull handle at the top to wheel it i'm still not needing to replace it.

I easily can fit normal snowboard + boots and enough stuff for a normal ski trip for a week and it fits in the BA normal bag allowance.

I can *just* fit in my splitboard, boots and full touring kit + clothes but I do need to take a slightly aggressively sized rucksack on the plane as my carry on if I am going on a touring trip and want to take anything like extra jeans or choice of hoody with me!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

but I do need to take a slightly aggressively sized rucksack on the plane

Lol Laughing
snow report
Quote:

Dakine confirmed that the sex difference was... just colours.

Thanks for the pic. If you hadn't said anything I would never have guessed, looks quite nice.
Quote:

if you are only doing 1 or 2 weeks a year renting probably makes much more sense

Yup, I'm in that situation and it's really hard to justify. Part of this post was to discover the hidden costs that make it even more unjustifiable.
Quote:

Leash maybe

I'd love to know what these are useful for. I'm not at the backcountry level so maybe useful when strapping up somewhere precarious and you don't have a nice pisted platform to stand on? When I was learning I thought they looked like a great idea, but now I don't get it.
Quote:

I do not have wrist guards or knee / elbow protection

I was converted to wearing crash pants when a friend who swore by them didn't make it out on the last day and thrust hers on me. I also wore wrist guards at the beginning but as I got better I had a feeling they were making things worse and now I go without.
Quote:

I don't think there's any evidence that oversized luggage gets lost more frequently

I agree with the sentiment overall, inevitably it's the few that do you hear about about but you never hear from the 1000s that are fine. I just had images of the drop off point not being connected to the main conveyor system, and at the other side of the belt items drop onto the floor where the saturday kid is responsible for manually reading the labels and routing them on trolleys.

Based on the discussion I've ordered one of these - Burton Wheelie Gig bag in 166 https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07VTMMMJN?psc=1&tag=amz07b-21 There were 10 in stock this morning and now only 3.
snow conditions
Quote:

...Leash... - I'd love to know what these are useful for.

Nothing, they are the square-root of useless. They are either so short you have to take them off when your foot is still in the binding or so long they flap about and can get snagged when you ride. They're a legacy throwback to when Ski resorts still thought that bindings on snowboards could pop open and the board spear off down the mountain on its own.
snow report
Quote:

...Leash... - I'd love to know what these are useful for.

Carrying your board if you're hiking up somewhere Smile
Actually I just take the shoulder strap off my bag and use that as is has 2 easy clips and a nice little padded bit.
So you're right - no use at all.
snow report
Bought a leash about 15 years ago (Flow Bindings) but never used it and it was too short anyway

Just found it again and actually it's quite a strong and useful looking multi-purpose thing, I just need to work what purpose I can use it for Very Happy
snow report
Used to get them free with bindings - they work well for attaching stuff to kayaks
latest report
Thanks for all the comments, it helped me go in with open eyes and know what I was getting into. By way of an update and for future reference;

Against my better judgement I ended up buying a board. Someone asked what I was considering, the shortlist was:
* Yes Standard
* Jones Frontier
* Rossi One (was a late entry)
* A few other mid to mid-stiff all mountain twin boards with generous setback possibility

I had demoed the first 2 in a smaller size. In the end the winner was a... Jones Frontier 162 2021. Initially bought a 161w but after sitting bindings and boots on top it was clear it was not necessary, there's only 4mm difference on each edge between the 2 boards at the reference point and the 162 is a bit better for my weight.

Having watched a few videos about waxing I realised it's not so bad, so bought a bundle of wax, scraper, brush and structuring pads. And some Zardoz for topups. The bundle made it worth it but next time I would get a poundland or B&Q scrubbing brush and a nylon washing up scourer. Not sure I need a cork but if I try it I'll use a decorating sanding block. I intend to use a household iron and won't take any of this away with me (except the Zardoz). Proper tuning and repairs I'll have done professionally when required.

In the end I'll probably try a stomp pad. It's not an expensive mistake to make and I'm curious.

Also bought a Dakine lock and pocket ratchet screwdriver.

Now all that remains is to try all this out in vain, in March (can't wait!). Took it to MK for a spin but it's not the same, need a nice wide open blue to let it rip.

For future reference to anyone who cares the costs were:
Board 300
Bindings 100 (including a birthday discount code)
Bag - Burton Roller 65 including pink gaffa tape for identification purposes
Simple lock £11
Screwdriver £11
Butta Wax kit £19
Zardoz £9.50
Boots £230 (I didn't intend to buy new boots but saved on the bindings and hopefully I'll get a bit back from selling my previous)
Annoying extra charge for carriage on TUI / cristal - £50
TBC, stomp pad £12, Cork £2
snow report
Good choice of board, did you try the Rossi One?
I heard this year's board is not as good as previous years.
I bought the missus a Frenemy (One LF equivalent) for her Birthday, which was being discontinued.

Despite being ugly & big, I really like
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Crab-Grab-Trap-2019-Black/dp/B075FJTQ5J?tag=amz07b-21
Stomp Pad.
snow report
@silentice, I wonder if it was you that haggled on my Jones Explorer 162 on ebay? The chap found a Frontier on ebay going cheaper than my board. If I'm not mistaken they are very similar boards but the Frontier is stiffer torsionally. I sold mine in the end so happy days!
ski holidays
@Mr.Egg, Thanks, I hope it turns out to be. In the demo, the Yes Standard was the clear standout but the demo size 156 is closer to my preferred size 159, being a wider board. I could probably actually use a 156 if I was interested in park (I'm not). They only had a beaten up 156 Explorer to demo so that's much smaller for me, it needed a wax and it just felt wrong so not really a fair comparison. I still hope I didn't make a mistake there. I didn't find a One to demo, and it only came onto my radar relatively late in the process. I almost pulled the trigger on a great deal from Absolute Snow based on price but I went online to buy and it had sold out for my size in an afternoon. Think they still have other sizes. I see they changed the shape of the 2022 version and Angry Snowboarder thought they had changed up the 2021 version (hated it), but I couldn't see any other reference to changes between 2020 and 2021 models. (On that note, how anyone can feel a slight difference between a board they rode for an afternoon a year ago is beyond me!) Rossignol themselves were selling the 2021 for £250 at one point in Jan but I was just put off by that review sadly. They sold 5 in 2 days. Also, shouldn't buy a board based on looks but love the Jones graphics so that was a bonus, the One is a bit boring in that respect (nothing wrong though).
That stomp pad looks like it is grippy! Does snow collect in the pockets? On another board I'd be less precious but I think I'd be looking for something more inconspicuous so not to hide the art work on this Jones.

@Gainz, No, not I. I did have my eye on ebay and had sent a few messages to someone with a 2021 Frontier before Christmas. I bought mine at TSA in the sales in the end for basically the same price. I probably saw your Explorer, no offence to you I feel in general the prices people wanted for their 2nd hand boards were a bit much to be honest, and of the boards I monitored they were selling for a fraction at auction compared to buy it now prices. When I factored in the warranty and not worrying about it's history/how it's been looked after I'd rather buy new (not always for a premium as it turns out). What did you get for yours in the end? What made you sell it? What did you buy instead?
It was my understanding the Explorer and Frontier were identical apart from the name change, following a cease and desist from Burton over the copyright. I did a lot of research and Jones themselves say it's identical. But I guess there are natural variations between batches and years due to the materials and maybe they did change it, also it seems demo versions the review sites get can be pre-production versions, and once someone gets an idea that it's different word can get out (see above re Angry Snowboarder and the Rossi One).
latest report
You can’t go wrong with a frontier. I’ve been using one as a daily driver for the last few seasons, gets most things done well.
ski holidays
@hang11, awesome, glad you are happy with it. that's what I was going for. Bit of a waste to be sat in the wardrobe 50+ weeks a year but as I was going to buy I wanted a one board quiver with a touch of freeride orientation that I won't want to ditch in 2-3 years as I advance.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy