Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Bormio or Madonna di campiglio or other

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,

I have three days skiing in late march, flying to Bergamo and happy to drive to either resort and get 3 full days skiing in.

Which would you recommend? We are 3 guys in our 40s, looking for some leisurely red skiing (nothing competitive), beautiful mountains and some great food and beers. Simple really.

As I would be driving, which is the easiest drive, some of those mountain roads make me nervous Smile

If you recommend somewhere else, that is cool too.

Thanks everyone.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We did MdC in late March '22 and drove from Bergamo.

We absolutely loved our time in MdC, it's a charming place. The skiing was really nice too, we're intermediates. Piste grooming, excellent. And of course, lovely food too.
Something to bear in mind, we went from 19th - 26th last year and on 27th they started to shut lifts, not all but definitely some. Certainly some slushy skiing but if you keep a close eye on slope orientations you'll be fine.

Had no issues driving there either, the roads were easy.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Livigno is another hours drive further away than Bormio but definitely worthy of consideration as is Tonale/PdL assuming the snow is still ok. PdL low down and most of Tonale facing south does make late March a touch risky.

Aosta valley resorts probably not out of the question either tbh. Probably only three hours to Pila/Champoluc and Cervinia from Bergamo.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Cervinia not a good option if the OP is nervous of mountain roads
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The road up to Cervinia is wide and doesn't have any real overhangs etc, fairly easy drive for most I would have thought.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks All, I think MdC sounds about right for me.

If anyone has any feedback on Bormio or Bormio v PdM, I would love to hear it.

Appreciate the replies.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
alasdair.graham wrote:
The road up to Cervinia is wide and doesn't have any real overhangs etc, fairly easy drive for most I would have thought.

You might have thought - but try driving it in a snowstorm and then you'll know.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@red 27, Snow changes everything for sure! I can remember saying to my partner when we arrived at our hotel in Valtournenche a few years ago "is that it" it's a big vertical but somehow didn't feel it on the drive.

@sunnek, MdC is awesome, town, scenery and runs are all top notch. I'm sure it will be perfect for your needs
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks, @red27, sounds perfect. Cant wait!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@sunnek, out of MdC, Ponte di Legno-Tonale and Bormio, I think snow conditions (on average) would be fine at all of them, and they all have decent snowmaking. All of the drives are straightforward. In order of preference:

I suspect MdC fits your requirements better in terms of the skiing. It's always rated highly on snowHeads. We had it pencilled in for March 2020 but Covid got in the way.

PdL-T is a bit small for a week, but would be fine for three days. We went in late March 2018 and had a good time.

Bormio's local ski area is very small so you would probably want to make trips to the other local areas on the same lift pass (Santa Caterina & Cima Piazzi). Bormio is planned for March 2023, so I'll report back!

I think those three are indeed the obvious candidates from Bergamo.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
love Madonna and its an easy drive but we've been in mid March and it was pretty slushy in the afternoon. I'd only go late March if it was a last minute decision so you could check the conditions.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We're considering a similar trip albeit in early March, MDC sounds great but accommodation expensive form what I can see. Not sure I fancy PT as some have said it's very 'stark', so looking at other options.....

Madesimo was one but can't get accommodation to suit. Drie Zinnen was another but again can't seem to quite find the right accommodation.

Has anybody any experience of Aprica? Closer to Bergamo and looks to be enough for 3 days for an early intermediate (OH) to continue her development?

Not ideal that the next 10 - 12 days looks to be zero snow in the region at all, but tbh there's plenty already and with cold temps should be fine.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@neilkav, my Aprica trip report from late March 2018 here: https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=137154#3214381

The skiing is quite nice though it's not a big area. Would probably be OK for an early intermediate if they don't mind repeating runs.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
neilkav wrote:
We're considering a similar trip albeit in early March, MDC sounds great but accommodation expensive form what I can see.

it seems expensive via a TO but if you DIY...

depends what you're looking for but my wife just got back from Hotel Europa, mid range half board Eur980 for two. Group of 6 they all liked it. Chalet del Brenta is more up market and family orientated but had some deals on for ca Eur1500 for 2 sharing.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks guys
snow conditions
When we went to MdC late March last year managed to get 1 weeks' accommodation at Hotel Cristiania (4* and pretty much ski in/out) and a 6 day lift passes for the whole area for £469 pp Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Bormio is a long drive from Milan but none of that is on mountain roads.
ski holidays
Rjs, Bormio is nice drive or train journey along lake como. Think it is 3 hours ?

Aprica was a pleasant suprise this year (jan'24) it has nice views, nursery slops in the village. Pleasant runs up the top. Think it only has a max 2300m + the village at 1100m. Not a massive ski area but would entertain you for a couple of days.

Bormio itself has 3 days skiing with a nice betulli black run. Plus the 4 spas. Nice real working medieval town. Great bar by the olympic ice rink. Very italian therefore nice. Great cheap pizza on the mountain.

A 10min bus drive from bormio is san colombano. Only 2, but exellent long runs on either side of the mountain. Lift is too expensive but still the best 2 tree lined runs in Italy that I have skied.

Santa catarina is 20 mins free bus away but boring skiing for me but the home is quite good.

Livigno is 50 min bus trip away. I think a scary road if the weather changes. Personally i do not 'get' livigno. Not italian enough maybe ? Just quite high and featureless.

Tonali is a bit average but Ponte di Legano has some superb skiing. Night life is poor.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy