Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Bus journey length from Passo Tonale to Madonna di Campiglio

Poster: A snowHead
As the title says... getting the hard sell from Crystal for their own excursion to Madonna, with the argument that the ski bus can take 3 hours to get there. Sounds like BS to me, but would appreciate advice from any of you that have done the trip...

We have an area pass that covers the lifts there as well as the bus (I think!) so paying €30 each for the privilege is not something I'm tempted to jump at!

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 28-12-21 22:16; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I dont know about the bus, but you'd only need to get it to Marileva, then take the lift up from there and ski over to Madonna
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Never took it either, but the timetable for the free bus is available for download here: https://www.visitvaldisole.it/en/ski-bus

It looks like the first bus to Marilleva 900 only gets you there at 9.34 AM after a 50-minute ride, so you do get a bit of a late-ish start on the Madonna slopes.

Interestingly, there is also a bus to Pejo 3000 which gets you there at 9 sharp. It is not a big resort, maybe 5-6 main runs, but the vertical is huge (1,500 metres!) and it looks fun for a day if the weather is nice, with runs up to 3,000 metres.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Highly recommend Pejo for a day - it's in my Passo Tonale trip report. The run from the top of the cable car is fabulously scenic and long.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've done it the other way round and 3 hours is nonsense... I can't remember exactly how long it was but me and my ski mate wouldn't have done it if it was more than an hour. As one of the guys above says Marileva is an easy ski to MdC
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@ratechaser, I did that trip back in 2016 whilst staying in Passo with Crystal but it was 20 euros then. It took nowhere near 3 hours, probably 1 hour maximum and they stop at Groste which is nearer than MdC but its all the same resort. I guess if it dumps a load of snow the night before then it might take a bit longer. We had about 20CM overnight on our trip but the coach was fine with it.
It was a great trip, loved MdC and been back there several time since.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@ratechaser,

Can't see it taking more than an hour. Def worth the trip. Love Madonna and Folgarida!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Agree with the others, it’s easily doable to Marileva. Just make sure you check the weather forecast and don’t do it if too windy. You could get stuck in Madonna and be unable to get back over to Marilleva (there is one key lift which can close if the wind is too strong)

MdC is a much nicer resort that Tonale. I’d recommend a trip over to the MdC section, maybe Groste and Cinque Laghi.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for all the replies and apologies for the delay responding. Anyway, after all that we ended up staying put. There were some nice-ish runs in Ponte de Legno, bit more reminiscent of what we normally get in Austria. Nothing too challenging in the way of blacks, but we decided to take it fairly steady this time round.

Plus the kids wanted to switch to boarding during the week, which they are less experienced with, so we're happy with the the easy up-and-downs of Passo Tonale.

I did speak with another couple that got the bus and it was indeed 45 mins to Marilleva 900 - they said it was a great day out so maybe next time if we go back there. But I think based on the overall experience I'd still take Austria over Italy - let's hope they loosen up again soon. Be nice to get another week in before the season ends
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@ratechaser,

"But I think based on the overall experience I'd still take Austria over Italy"

Please please don't judge Italy by going to Tonale.... I've done most of my skiing in Italy and passo is at the bottom of the list
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Gaz_H wrote:

Please please don't judge Italy by going to Tonale.... I've done most of my skiing in Italy and passo is at the bottom of the list

+1
you can’t judge a country by one resort.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
richb67 wrote:
Gaz_H wrote:

+1
you can’t judge a country by one resort.

Indeed you can't, and Passo Tonale isn't the only Italian resort I've skied in...

Even so, swimming with caps on is to my little British mindset, a bit of an odd thing. And I missed my Kaiserschmarrn. So there.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ratechaser wrote:

Even so, swimming with caps on is to my little British mindset, a bit of an odd thing. And I missed my Kaiserschmarrn. .

Whoosh ! Went right over my head, maybe because I’ve never skied in Austria Very Happy

Actually, thanks for the thread. It’s prompted me to plan a visit to Pejo when we visit MdC in a few weeks. We didn’t get round to it last time and you forget about these things.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

swimming with caps on is to my little British mindset

When we went swimming in Bad Kleinkirchheim caps were compulsory for everybody. But that was a while ago. wink
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Lots of very useful info on here folks. Looking for recommendations the best places to stop both on mountain and off mountain at lunchtime. Am thinking along the lines of pizza on a nice sunny terrace.
latest report
wishfulthinker wrote:
Lots of very useful info on here folks. Looking for recommendations the best places to stop both on mountain and off mountain at lunchtime. Am thinking along the lines of pizza on a nice sunny terrace.

Given that this thread has covered a fairly wide area, some idea of where you're looking at would be helpful. But the pizzas at Capanna Valbione (on the slope at Ponte di Legno) are great, cheap, and in a nice setting.
snow report
@ratechaser, Anywhere in the Val di Sole area as we plan on exploring and venturing but mainly Mailleva, Folgarida and MdC I suppose. But we are prepared to travel a long way for the best pizza. Your recommendation sounds just up our street. Thank you
ski holidays
sorry can't comment specifically on Pizza but in our experience these are worth a try

Lunch
Bar Cascina Zeledria off piste 54 nr carlo magno, a bit tricky to find first time as it's set back but follow piste 54 left and then the signs off the left of the piste, "real" Italian food
Marilleva way – Rifugio Spolverino, good views and always busy, fast Italian food
Chalet Fiat – top of Spinal in MdC, good food and views, plus caterpillar tracked fiat 500s lined up (what's that all about?!). There was also a pianist with a grand piano playing in the open near there one day... actually you can see the Fiats on the webcam
https://www.funiviecampiglio.it/panoramawebcam/spinale/

For views and coffee rather than food (it's ok inside but fast food outside)
Pinzolo – Dos del Sabion - where you can sometimes watch the paragliders taking off and flying around.

https://pinzolo.panomax.com/

fyi, these guys have a decent website with recommendations
https://www.madonnadicampiglio.co/enchanted-holidays/ski-madonna-di-campiglio/going-out/restaurants/
ski holidays
@richb67, Great stuff, thank you for those
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy