Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

TO flights and boots

Poster: A snowHead
Good afternoon everyone.
Looks like Mr Hamster and I will be changing our January plans and using a TO to fly rather than doing a DIY self drive trip…

This is probably a daft question but since I can’t find the answer on the TO site, and we haven’t flown with a package carrier for years and years.

Will TOs still carry ski boots as “extra”, free hold items these days? Or do I need to find a way to squeeze them into my standard hold bag? (Not too hard for me with super tiny 22.5 boots, but more of a challenge for his 28.5s!!!)

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 28-12-21 15:36; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Supplemental question.
Assuming we get lucky and manage to book our skis onto the plane, can I take more than one pair in a bag, or do I need to book 2 sets of ski carriage for 2 pr skis (one bag)?

Sorry. I know this all sounds a bit obvious but we’ve only ever driven since we’ve had our own skis!

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 28-12-21 15:59; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Your exact entitlement will be contained within the flights email that the TO sends you. My experience flying with Crystal/TUI in 2020 was that ski boots were not carried free. Our group carried our boot bags as hand luggage, as this fell within the weight/dimension limit and was free. If you wear your ski jacket you can get any books, magazines, sweets, etc... that you need for the flight in your pockets I have found. Not sure as to ski carriage sorry.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@skiinghamster, it depends on the flights. You'll need to check the luggage rules.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
TUI is 20kg of ski carriage so 2pairs shouldn't be an issue for us but you'd be better checking the ts&cs. used Ryanair a couple of weeks ago and it was the same, had skis boots and some clothes in and got it topped up to 20kg.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Have taken several different TO trips in the last few years.... And all the ones where they'll sell you 'ski carriage' generally do it in weight. Typically 20kg, so enough for two skis, poles, and other bits (shovel, probe etc) no one has asked recently 'what's in the bag', they just want to know I've paid for ski carriage. Some big airlines (ba, swiss) will carry for free. But do check ALL the t&c, esp for carrying on. Typically 10kg, but some are very fussy on sizes, and only 1 bag...
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I use a Holdall with a compartment at each end for Ski Boots. It is big enough to hold everything you need for a weeks skiing....just keep it to the allowed weight limit.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I’m also doing a TO holiday for the first time in many years.
Having done some research on the TUI website I think you can take multiple bags as hold luggage as long as you don’t exceed your total weight allowance. In our case we have 25kg of hold luggage and 10kg of hand luggage. I have cut and paste the following from their website:

HOW MUCH LUGGAGE CAN I TAKE?
When flying with TUI each passenger can check in up to 3 bags weighing between 15kg and 20kg and 1 piece of hand luggage, depending on which holiday you book. Under twos get a 10kg allowance – that’s if you’ve booked a hotel and flight package and not just a flight. You’ll also be able to take a pushchair or a car seat with you.

The amount of hold luggage in weight we are allowed was confirmed on our booking. So our intention is to take a boot bag each, and a suitcase for clothes. We don’t have our own skis but that definitely would seem to be an extra charge.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Our experience was .........we flew to Italy with TUI on 19th Dec / back boxing day. We'd booked 2 x ski carriage but put both sets of skis on one bag as easier to carry. Did have another bag just in case they got funny and we had to split them but in the event they really didn't care - bag was under weight limit so no questions asked. I'd put my boots in my hold luggage on way out as wasn;t sure what the deal was with boot bags. OH had a separate boot bag and they took that no problem. On way back - same again 2 sets of skis in one bag no problem and I did use my boot bag then too.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks all. Super helpful.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@skiinghamster, which tour operator?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
As yet undecided but most likely Crystal.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The only time I tried to take my boots on board, in a boot bag, they stopped me at luggage drop and said boots weren’t allowed in the plane; they ended up in the hold. That was a TO flight.

Equally I watched somebody board an EasyJet flight earlier this month with his boots around his neck.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
skiinghamster wrote:
As yet undecided but most likely Crystal.

If you go with Crystal on a TUI flight, boots are part of your 20 kg hold weight (you can upgrade to 25kg hold luggage). This can be across several bags as long as none weigh more than 23kg I believe.

You can also take your boots as part of hand luggage as long as they fit the weight limit (10kg) & size dimensions.

We almost always travel with TUI/Crystal & pack our boots into our hold luggage. Helmet & other bulky stuff in hand luggage & stuff any excess clothing/shoes if we have them in with our skis.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Right. This particular cageful of hamsters are now booked for 2 weeks in Mayrhofen from 8/1 with Crystal.
It isn’t what we had planned (hooking up with seasonal emigrés in France) but it’ll be great.

Thank you everyone for your help and advice.

(Better swap the Duolingo back to German!)
snow report
Just watch the allowances if you fly from a small regional airport/LCY. Some of the commuter planes have very small holds and so ski carriage can be very limited if allowed at all. Same for carry on, normal trolley bags are too big for the overhead lockers on aircraft with 4 seats to a row.
latest report
I added ski carriage via the TUI website to a Crystal booking as it was the only way on a very short term booking. The additional weight limit added was only 15kg.

Crystal’s Ts&Cs make it pretty clear they expect ski carriage to be booked per set of skis taken - in practice, I’ve never been challenged at the airport about taking a double ski bag. Insurance may be ‘interesting’ if they get lost though.
ski holidays
I was going to buy a wheeled ski bag that is big enough for one set of skis and my boots. Booked with Crystal for Feb. just been on our bookings page and found this.

Ski bags must only hold 1 set of skis or 1 snowboard. This allowance doesn’t include ski boots – they need to be packed with your hold baggage.

Don't know whether or not to chance it or carry my boots as hand luggage as i've done previously. Really wanted it all in one bag as we are travelling with kids.
No mention of weight for ski bag that i could see ??
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy