Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Italy v Austria? Large ski area/ski-in ski-out?

Poster: A snowHead
Any ideas of which resorts to look at. 15th Jan not flexible. Want a large resort. Which doesn’t cross over to France and I know nothing about these countries. We always ski in France and are used to Huge resorts. Mainly want intermediate skiing.

Suggestions please Eh oh!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The 2 largest areas in Italy are the Sella Ronda and Via Lattea (Milky Way)

In Austria the largest option are the Arlberg (St Anton, Lech, Zurs, Warth), and Saalbach-Hinterglemm. Note that some of St Anton's runs can be intimidating for nervous intermediates (especially the runs down to resort at the end of the day, though you will be at a quiet time)

There's not as much ski-in ski-out accommodation in Italy or Austria as there is in France
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
cervinia
ischgl
zillertal
serfaus-fiss-ladis
Kitz
ski-welt
are all over 180km + the 2 above mentioned
You would need to do your research in how linked up they are, as some may require a bus link between areas that come under the same pass.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Lucywuk, Flachau. Stay at the bottom of the Achterjet lift and buy a lift pass for the whole area to spend a day somewhere like Schladming.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Via Lattea. About 400 km of slopes, 350 of then are in Italy, 50 in Montgenevre France.

You need to cross a valley floor to end up in the French part, so cannot do that inadvertedly. Sauze and Sestriere are ski-in-ski-out.
https://www.tripadvisor.nl/Hotels-g194891-Sauze_d_Oulx_Province_of_Turin_Piedmont-Hotels.html

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Tue 28-12-21 16:38; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Onnem wrote:
Via Lattea. About 400 km of slopes, 350 of then are in Italy, 50 in Montgenevre France.

I know you’re not likely to accidentally wander over the border to Montgenevre but the request was for a “large resort. Which doesn’t cross over to France”…..
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I would highly recommend the Via Lattea (but for the small point that it does cross into France). Loads of intermediate skiing - I would say their blacks are the equivalent of reds in, say, 3 valleys.

Out of curiosity what happens when you cross into France? I presume nothing, but then an issue arises when you want to get on a ski lift in France in order to get back into Italy?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Oberlech
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Interesting options. I’ll look at them, thanks.

May wait to the new year to book.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Good to have a thread about ski resorts not tests & entry restrictions Very Happy

The eastern alps have much less ski in / out type accommodation than is common in many French resorts, most of that type of accommodation is at the bottom of the skiing within an easy walk / pole of a lift. It also tends to be the most expensive. The typical setup is for the runs to end at the edge of the village with a good number of drinking spots nearby (seated only this year). There is an efficient network of buses to take you back to your accommodation, assuming you dont get too distracted by the drinking and end up paying for a taxi!

If you like lunch with your skiing the Dolomites are recommended, much of the area is German speaking but they do seem to have taken in a certain amount of Italian culinary tradition. Austria tends more to self service with "Schnitzel mit Pommes", "Spaghetti mit Fleischsauce", "Gulaschsuppe" etc. The Austrian's tend to do much better when it comes to drinking.....

I assume you are used to the kms of straight forward corduroy typical of 3V, Paridiski etc

Some suggestions

Arlberg - currently the biggest ski area in Austria (personally I think the best, rarely ski anywhere else these days), there is a reasonable amount of piste skiing in Lech / Warth (and ski in / out in Oberlech if you have the budget). However if you go expecting to spend a week piste skiing you are likely to end up frustrated, it rewards those who are happy with a challenge, even if just some of the easier ski routes. St Anton whilst having some fantastic skiing can be a bit intimidating to the less confident especially if the home runs are busy.

Saalbach Hinterglemm - not quite as big as the Arlberg but there is a bus link (lift "in planning") one way to the nearby area of Zell am See giving a big total. Lots of straight forward piste skiing, the major weakness being the number of south facing slopes which is not an issue in January. A few more challenging runs and a decent amount of off piste towards Fieberbrunn. A fair amount of piste side accommodation in both of the main villages.

Kitzbühel / SkiWelt - again a short bus shuttle linking the two (another lift "in Planning", which when finished will easily create the biggest area in Austria). SkiWelt has lots of unthreatening piste skiing, much of it amongst the tress, good in poor weather. Kitzbühel has some more challenging skiing and some off piste. All very stereotypically "Austrian". Kitzbühel itself is an old town and attracts the rich and want to be famous. Probably better to stay in either Brixen or Kirchberg if you want to explore the entire area.

SkiAmade - easy access from Salzburg. Large area shared between a number of villages with mostly straight forward piste skiing. As mentioned above Flachau has some piste side accommodation. Zauchensee, set in a bowl at the end of a valley has a certain "French" feel about it with practically all the accommodation being within very easy reach of the pistes / lifts.

Zillertal - a wide variety of skiing right up to the glacier at Hintertux. It is a long valley with easy transport links. There is a lot of skiing but it is split into various areas, Fügen, Kaltenbach, Zell am Ziller (a good sized area which stretches over a pass into the Salzburgerland), Mayrhofen & Hintertux.

Serfaus / Fiss - little known in the UK but an excellent area. Must be one of the best places for kids in the alps but it has a decent amount of more challenging skiing and off piste too. Not that it is relevant this year but not a typical Austria "apres" place.

Ischgl - Perhaps somewhat like Tignes and some of the other French resorts in that almost all the skiing is above the treeline with the lifts from the villages ending up at just over 2000m with the skiing going up to nearly 3000m (accommodation only in the villages). A wide variety of skiing both easy and more difficult / off piste. Part of the area is in Switzerland (the "duty free" village of Samnaun) with a couple of really nice long red runs down to the valley.

Dolomites - The Dolomiti Superski area has an almost inexhaustible amount (well over 1000km), of primarily piste, skiing. However outside of the main Sella Ronda round much of it is not directly linked together and relies on a (very efficient) bus network. Not been personally (always want to then find a good reason to go back to St Anton!) but there are an awful lots of fans here. The scenery is stunning, the food excellent and the pistes well maintained (there is not always lots of natural snow, this was the place snow making was developed) lots wont go anywhere else.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
In Austria, I can highly recommend Saalbach or Schladming. Both are fantastic areas to ski.

Saalbach has a number of hotels on the main street that back onto a piste. Technically not ski in/out, but you’d only have to walk up/down some steps.

Schladming, in particular the Rohrmoos area is pretty much all ski in/out.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
For Dolomites ski in/out try Colfosco/Corvara though you might need a short walk depending on the specific accommodation and with short notice you can’t be picky. They are on the Sella Ronda so IIRC that gives you access to ca 500km of pistes without needing a bus. You might also be able to find ski in/out in Val Gardena which is on the SR a little further west.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Perfect. Thanks. Still on the wait and see last minute choices
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sella Ronda. I always had a 'go somewhere new every trip' policy - until I went there. Going back for my 7th trip in Jan Very Happy
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I wouldn't say that the Dolomites ski areas are easily linked via bus. You'll be lucky to find a bus in winter which crosses from one valley into the other. With a car it's much much easier!!
snow report
@Lucywuk, Plus one for Flachau. 210km of piste plus another 500km on the same lift pass. 45 mins from Salzburg Airport, what's not to like? Ski in/out here: https://www.gappmaier-selection.at/
snow report
munich_irish wrote:

Saalbach Hinterglemm - not quite as big as the Arlberg but there is a bus link (lift "in planning") one way to the nearby area of Zell am See giving a big total. Lots of straight forward piste skiing, the major weakness being the number of south facing slopes which is not an issue in January. A few more challenging runs and a decent amount of off piste towards Fieberbrunn. A fair amount of piste side accommodation in both of the main villages.

The lift has been opened for a couple of years now - direct ski access linked in and out of Zell am See.
snow report
Little to add - @munich_irish has given a great summary and, even though I spent a chunk of my childhood (and skiing) in the Haute Savoie, would agree that the Arlberg is just about the best IMHO.

The only tiny thing to add about the skiing in the Zell am See area is the additional option there of Kaprun and the Kitzsteinhorn glacier as well, albeit a short bus ride.

Cervinia from another post also agree with but might be pretty cold in January - super intermediate skiing.

Another left field option is the Silvretta Montafon; it has a number of varied linked resorts, though a some bussing is involved but not as big as some of the other suggestions. I liked the sort of local feel about the place with seemingly fewer overseas tourists at the times we've been there. Probably stay in St Gallenkirch or Schruns if you do the Montafon.
snow conditions
Really baffled by all those pushing "their" favorite Austrian resort.

TO is asking for ski-in-ski-out. In Austria Obertauern, Oberlech, Hochsolden and Kuehtai. Regarding the quality and size of skiing area, there is no comparison.
snow report
@Onnem,
Quote:

TO is asking for ski-in-ski-out. In Austria Obertauern, Oberlech, Hochsolden and Kuehtai. Regarding the quality and size of skiing area, there is no comparison

Plenty of ski-in ski-out accommodation in other, lower Austrian resorts (such as mine). Just ask any Snowhead who may be able to make recommendations. Agree that location is important and may require more research than a typical purpose-built ski station.
ski holidays
@Onnem, actually OP is not asking for ski in/out… Eh oh!
And indeed, there are plenty Austrian villages that offer accomodation with ski in/out. Just need to search a little harder.
For example, it does not have to be Oberlech. Lech proper has a lot of ski in/out too.
latest report
@munich_irish,

Kitzbühel / SkiWelt - again a short bus shuttle linking the two (another lift "in Planning", which when finished will easily create the biggest area in Austria)

Which one is this and where?
snow report
OP "Italy v Austria? Large ski area/ski-in ski-out?"

@Langerzug, "actually OP is not asking for ski in/out…"

Puzzled
ski holidays
@red 27, clearly the OP must be confused about what he’s asking for Laughing
latest report
@red 27, oops. didn’t find it in the text. Something with books and covers….or the other way around? Cool
latest report
tatmanstours wrote:
@red 27, clearly the OP must be confused about what he’s asking for Laughing

She is not confused.

I am looking for potential alternatives to France. We are used to large ski areas. Plenty of red/blue intermediate runs and accommodation that is ski-in/ski-out.

When I look online it seems that a lot of. Austrian and Italian accommodation tends to require a trek or bus to the skiing. Hence seeing if some resorts are better than others.

However it looks like out 15th Jan French trip is no longer happening as Eurostar have cancelled the trains. But given news in the last few days we may get to France end Jan early feb after all

One day Italy or Austria though. I’d like to try somewhere new. But given skiing is so precious a perfect resort is key
snow conditions
I would suggest that just about every resort in Austria and Italy will have some accommodation which is ski in/out. However, most of it won't be so you have to balance the cost to the convenience. The places where you walk out of the boot room on to the piste will cost you most and be least common. Next will be the places where you just walk over the road. The biggest and most diverse category will be the places where you need a few mins walk or a short bus ride.

If you think that in some areas you will need to take two lifts before your first ski, suddenly a bus from right outside your accommodation to a decent lift doesn't seem too bad. Especially if that place is spacious and really well positioned for restaurants, swimming pool, etc.

French stations are convenient for the slopes but the to be second rate for everything else. It suits some people but others prefer a proper village with a decent choice of independent bars and restaurants. Each to their own.
ski holidays
@Lucywuk,
Quote:

tatmanstours wrote:
@red 27, clearly the OP must be confused about what he’s asking for

She is not confused.

Sorry, rather than have a go at langerzug for his obvious faux pas, I was having a stab at dry, ironic humour; clearly I failed.

On your general point, here are some facts, and also a few stereotypes and generalisations for you to think about:
1. Most large ski areas, attracting more than a million visitors a year are in Austria, not France.
2. Despite being much smaller than France (only about the size of Scotland) Austria attracts more skiers per year than France.
3. 73% of skiers in France are French nationals; 27% of skiers are foreign tourists (a quarter of them being British, the largest percentage of foreign tourists).
4. Only 33% of skiers in Austria are Austrian nationals; 66% are from other countries around Europe and the wider world - principally Germany, the Netherlands, Switzerland, the Scandinavian countries, the U.K., Eastern Europe, the Balkans, etc.
5. Many of the big, purpose-built, French ski stations (e.g. La Plagne, Arcs 1600/1800, Val Thorens, Les Menuires, Flaine, Courchevel, etc.) were developed with French government support in the 1960s/1970s. These “residences de tourisme” tend to consist of functional, relatively soulless apartment complexes, with 1970s standards of comfort. Nevertheless they are designed to be practical and convenient, and to serve the mass market of primarily French skiers, as well as the minority of foreign visitors.
5. In relative terms, winter tourism is not as important to the French economy as it is in Austria.
6. French ski stations were built at high altitudes, because the snow line is higher in France than further east in Austria.
7. By contrast, Austrian ski resorts generally developed around original settlements, many of which were poor farming villages before winter tourism.
8. Because the climate is colder and the snow line lower than France, Austrian villages lower than 1,000m tend to be snow sure enough to have viable ski seasons.
9. Because foreign winter tourism is much more important to the Austrian economy, than in France, there is much more emphasis in Austria on preserving traditions and fostering a romantic image than on pure functionality and skiing convenience. Austrians go to college to learn about tourism and how to please their foreign guests and encourage them to return. Wearing traditional costume, playing traditional music, cooking traditional food, and other local customs are the norm.
10. Whereas it can almost be taken for granted that a purpose-built, high French ski station will provide ski-in ski-out convenience, that assumption cannot be made of an original Austrian ski village. Some research will be required to find accommodation which does provide that level of convenience.
11. Many Austrian villages (not least my own) do have slopeside, ski-in ski-out accommodation, but, as they were not built with skiing in mind, some of the accommodation will necessitate walking, or taking ski buses to and from the lifts/slopes.
12. Most Austrian villages will have accommodation that is right next to a lift, or alongside the piste. You just have to ask the provider, or the tourist office, or Snowheads who are familiar with the resort in question.
13. Generally speaking you can expect the standard of accommodation and catering (not to mention the lift systems) to be higher in Austria than in French ski stations.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Serfaus would be great for you.
https://www.skiresort.info/ski-resort/serfaus-fiss-ladis/
snow report
Langerzug wrote:
@Onnem, actually OP is not asking for ski in/out… Eh oh!
And indeed, there are plenty Austrian villages that offer accomodation with ski in/out. Just need to search a little harder.
For example, it does not have to be Oberlech. Lech proper has a lot of ski in/out too.

Even Zell am See has a little ski in ski out: I've booked one such hotel for late February - the Sporthotel Alpin, just 50m above the City Express lift station, though the "ski-in" part is not the greatest at the end of the day, but that's like most low altitude resort runs

https://www.sporthotelalpin.com/en/winter/ski-in-ski-out/
ski holidays
Ended up in France. Managed to rebook the holiday on Thursday!! Better the devil …
But this thread has given me ideas. I think our big issue is walking in ****ing ski boots. So maybe find somewhere with ski lockers at the base of the slopes could work.
I am deffo tempted with the Dolomites and also courmeyer type area, where we can cross over when we are allowed.

But sending this from the perfect blue sky, fab snow of La Tania
latest report
Quote:

I think our big issue is walking in ****ing ski boots.

Something that I’m glad I never have to do nowadays. The most walking in ski boots that I remember having to do was in Val d’Isere, Serre Chevalier (Monetier), Champéry, Badgastein, and St Anton. Boils down to choice of accommodation.
ski holidays
Lucywuk wrote:
Ended up in France. Managed to rebook the holiday on Thursday!! Better the devil …
But this thread has given me ideas. I think our big issue is walking in ****ing ski boots. So maybe find somewhere with ski lockers at the base of the slopes could work.
I am deffo tempted with the Dolomites and also courmeyer type area, where we can cross over when we are allowed.

But sending this from the perfect blue sky, fab snow of La Tania

Most (all?) ski resorts will have lockers at lift stations. I’ve done it in Saalbach. In Ischgl they have lockers up the mountain but there I used to walk in trainers with boots over my shoulders and a back pack to take the trainers.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy