Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Single female first timer

Poster: A snowHead
Hello! I’ve only just found this wonderful site as am in the very early stages of planning a solo trip.
I’ve always wanted to go skiing but other than a couple of dry slope lessons, I’ve never been. I now find myself considering a solo trip. Can anyone suggest/recommend a place to go for beginners that caters for lone women? I’m early 40s and flexible when/where I can go. I’ve just had a look at the bash events but seem to be geared more for immediate.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Beginners are catered for on bashes (Welcome to SnowHeads) There is a huge range of levels of skier on a bash.

Irrespective of what you decide to do, have a go at an indoor slope on real snow before you go. It's different from a dry slope.
Some (all???) centres offer a "learn to ski" package before you go abroad. Well worth it
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Newlysingle, Welcome to Snowheads.

If you can get to one of the indoor ski slopes, I'd recommend booking a few lessons and then spending a few hours practicing. You might be surprised how well you can progress.

Some of the bashes are in resorts where you might need to be a little more experienced, but most aren't. As long as you can do a reasonable parallel turn, then you should be ok on them.

There are still places available on the Birthday bash. Maybe consider a day, or 2 half days of lessons, then ski with some others on the bash. You could arrange to meet others for lunch, then join them in the afternoon.

Not everybody tries to complete the whole circuit every day. Some are quite happy just skiing from Chocolate stop to Chocolate stop, with leisurely lunches. I'm sure you could find someone to ski with.
Much better than, say sharing an apartment with strangers who are well above your ability, resulting in skiing alone for a week.

Other than that, you could try a Tour Operator, but you might still be skiing alone all week, but without the Spa, the Camaraderie of the evening meal and relaxing evenings in the bar. Very Happy
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
ok good advice thanks. I have a ski centre not far from me. Im not too worried about being alone in the daytime - hoping to book onto some lessons whilst there if possible - more the evenings that make me hesitant.
Having a look at flights for the birthday bash. Looks great. Though ive never flown alone either..... Shocked rolling eyes
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Might suit -- https://www.singlesport.com/
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Newlysingle, which part of the UK are you in? Groups of Snowheads often meet up at ski centres. You might be able to join them for a drink/meal afterwards.

As far as flights are concerned, if you click the link to express interest, then you will be able to check other people's travel plans and maybe choose the same flight. Be aware that there may be quite a few cancelled flights in the next couple of weeks, particularly from Ryanair and Easyjet.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Im in West Kent but my nearest ski centre is in east Kent (Chatham) i believe
Will click the link. good point about flights.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Newlysingle, there is a dry slope a few miles south of Tunbridge Wells which may be nearer that Chatham.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hofnar cater for solo females, not been but reviews are good. Chalet accom, they'll sort transfers from Geneva, lift passes, lessons etc.
Short term issue is they're in France (Morzine)
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
pieman666 wrote:
@Newlysingle, there is a dry slope a few miles south of Tunbridge Wells which may be nearer that Chatham.

thanks, thats just down the road
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Klammertime wrote:
Hofnar cater for solo females, not been but reviews are good. Chalet accom, they'll sort transfers from Geneva, lift passes, lessons etc.
Short term issue is they're in France (Morzine)

looked there and is great but the one suitable for me is really expensive
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

there is a dry slope a few miles south of Tunbridge Wells

learn something new every day! North Kent is home (if or when they ever let me back), and I never even knew it was there. I thought Capstone was the only one south of Hemel / east of Sandown horse racing circuit.

I wouldn't worry too much about bashes being "too intermediate" or "too expert". There's everyone from n00bs to qualified instructors, and timid to those who learned to ski before they could walk. And also, not everyone knows everyone else.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I’ve been on my own loads of times with Solo’s Holidays - you might be the only one in the group going to ski school but people are usually very friendly and will take in a genuine interest in how you’re professing. Also, if you don’t want to ski a full day you probably won’t be alone! The tour guide travelling with the group will help you sort out ski lessons and getting to the right place at the right time, etc.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Newlysingle,

I would also suggest "Singlesport" would be a suitable group to join.

https://www.singlesport.com/winter-holidays/singles-ski-holiday-la-plagne-2100/

The holiday on the 20th of March to La Plagne would probably be excellent for you. The weather should be warmer, the days longer, it is ski in ski out, full board and includes ski instruction.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Newlysingle, my mate and I had only been skiing in doors in snow domes, before we went on our first BirthdayBash and we got on fine. PS. We were both in our sixties when we did this.
snow conditions
Awdbugga wrote:
@Newlysingle, my mate and I had only been skiing in doors in snow domes, before we went on our first BirthdayBash and we got on fine. PS. We were both in our sixties when we did this.

wow good on you both!
latest report
I'm off to Bulgaria Jan 22nd as a solo boarder
ski holidays
Just discovered my passport has only recently expired Shocked
Have renewed online and average time to wait currently states 4 weeks. Have heard others received sooner so keeping everything crossed. Until I get it, I can’t book anything as need the new passport number.
latest report
@Newlysingle, if you're happy to share small dorm rooms, there are good opportunities at all skill levels at UCPA centres in major French resorts, bookable through Action Outdoors in the UK. All in price including food and accommodation, lessons and equipment hire. Sociable set up - bars on site, quite a lot of single travellers.
snow report
Newlysingle wrote:
Just discovered my passport has only recently expired Shocked
Have renewed online and average time to wait currently states 4 weeks. Have heard others received sooner so keeping everything crossed. Until I get it, I can’t book anything as need the new passport number.

I had the same issue in late November. And got mine in 15 days. Used the in-branch Post Office photo/check before sending. I'm told this service (I think about £10 extra) does speed things up once at the passport office, as they know it has already been approved... Post Office send it next day Special, and don't worry if when you track the application it shows as not having arrived. Passport office only update this when they are looking at the passport/processing it.
ski holidays
I’ve been a few times solo and have been with UCPA once and The Ski Gathering twice. These things are always a bit more expensive (any solo travel is) but they are good - stress free, everything done for you and ready made ski buddies. The only thing for me now is I want my own room. I’ve reached an age that I just want space and privacy Eh oh! .
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
@Newlysingle, if you're happy to share small dorm rooms, there are good opportunities at all skill levels at UCPA centres in major French resorts, bookable through Action Outdoors in the UK. All in price including food and accommodation, lessons and equipment hire. Sociable set up - bars on site, quite a lot of single travellers.

Just been in their website and had I had a passport, and France does open, I’d have booked. Though a little worried I might be the oldest there Puzzled
ski holidays
Gloggle wrote:
I’ve been a few times solo and have been with UCPA once and The Ski Gathering twice. These things are always a bit more expensive (any solo travel is) but they are good - stress free, everything done for you and ready made ski buddies. The only thing for me now is I want my own room. I’ve reached an age that I just want space and privacy Eh oh! .

If he Happy to pay a bit more for the stress free element. Saw some good deals on ucpa but all French. If they open up soon could book for feb onwards maybe
latest report
France will be busy (school hols) for four weeks from second week of February - the second week of March is the ideal week for French resorts, and perhaps there will be fewer restrictions by then. Good luck.
snow report
Hi
I do hope your passport comes through
If you haven’t noticed there is a single room become available on the pre BB day bash
( 50% reduction ) so £325 for the week
Europa sport hotel is lovely overlooking the lake
Obviously you may want to wait until it comes through
Just private message me
Saves on all the forum traffic
Best wishes
latest report
Newlysingle wrote:
Hello! I’ve only just found this wonderful site as am in the very early stages of planning a solo trip.
I’ve always wanted to go skiing but other than a couple of dry slope lessons, I’ve never been. I now find myself considering a solo trip. Can anyone suggest/recommend a place to go for beginners that caters for lone women? I’m early 40s and flexible when/where I can go. I’ve just had a look at the bash events but seem to be geared more for immediate.

I was almost 66 when I went on my first bash in 2016. My previous skiing experience totaled about 90 minutes but fortunately lessons were available which were useful for a noobie like me. All I can say is take care in deciding if you wish to attend a bash as it could turn out to be expensive as you will find that after the first one you will want to attend them all.
ski holidays
The pre-Birthday Bash will be a great week but I don't think it's suitable for an almost complete beginner. Though perhaps if you arranged a week of lessons, it would be fun to have company in the evenings. You can get up the lift to the start of the skiing without being able to ski!
snow report
Newlysingle wrote:
Gloggle wrote:

If he Happy to pay a bit more for the stress free element. Saw some good deals on ucpa but all French. If they open up soon could book for feb onwards maybe

IF you go with UCPA (I highly recommend them as a solo female skier) then book via their UK booking agent, Action Outdoors. Easy to navigate website and you get Saturday night included as standard (which you didn't used to get via UCAP site).
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thank you all so much for your recommendations. I’ve booked a week with UCPA to VT for the second week of March. Subject to France etc. I’m so excited. I’m taking the coach from Victoria all the way there as hate flying and seems a lot more straightforward than all the transfers involved.
I now need to buy some clothes! No gear and no idea!
snow report
Newlysingle wrote:
Thank you all so much for your recommendations. I’ve booked a week with UCPA to VT for the second week of March. Subject to France etc. I’m so excited. I’m taking the coach from Victoria all the way there as hate flying and seems a lot more straightforward than all the transfers involved.
I now need to buy some clothes! No gear and no idea!

Try Sport Pursuit; have just checked and some great prices on solid brands that will last and keep the weather out like Helly Hansen (up to 60% off) and Salomon (very limited sizes, but up to 75% off). TK Maxx appear to not be keen on ski gear this year...
latest report
Ok great. I’ve seen some bits in aldi but I don’t know what the quality is like so brand recommendations gratefully received
latest report
Don't worry about your passport - did my application on 29th, posted old one on 30th and new one came today!
snow conditions
I have been wearing a Lidl ski gear and it's good. Certainly warm enough the pockets could be a little bigger but nothing wrong with the quality. I believe the Aldi ski gear is very similar so worth looking at. I think my jacket was only £20-£30
ski holidays
Decathlon is a good bet for reasonable for ski gear if there's one nearby.
latest report
dunc999 wrote:
Don't worry about your passport - did my application on 29th, posted old one on 30th and new one came today!

Did mine the same time and had a message today to say old one received and application processing so seems I’ll be ok ….
latest report
pieman666 wrote:
I have been wearing a Lidl ski gear and it's good. Certainly warm enough the pockets could be a little bigger but nothing wrong with the quality. I believe the Aldi ski gear is very similar so worth looking at. I think my jacket was only £20-£30

Good to know. I’ve got a jacket and trousers in my basket pending checkout. Total £45 so will give it a try
latest report
sugarmoma666 wrote:
Decathlon is a good bet for reasonable for ski gear if there's one nearby.

Good excuse for a shopping trip to dartford Very Happy
snow report
Aldi and Lidl ski gear is good, but go there asap as they are now changing their lines, and won't be available much longer.
They always have more ladies choice than men.
Their base layers are very good value, and warm, including socks.

Sports Direct do a good line in base and mid layers. They often have a sale at this time. I got some bargains a couple of years ago when I had to change a mid layer for a different size. Took the item back to a store, but they didn't have my size. took a credit note, went online and got the other size, plus full set of base and 2 mid layers for sale price difference. result. Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
Me and the misses are in Rochester and go across to the snow center in hemel quiet regular so if you ever want a lift up there let me know.
snow conditions
@Newlysingle, I just saw discounted place (25 percent off) available on the BB https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=157850&highlight= in case you are interested. It looks like a good deal to me if you can make the travel arrangements.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy