Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best Value Family Ski Holiday? Package / Chalet/ Drive / Self Booking - what does everyone else do?

Poster: A snowHead
jimmytwoburgers wrote:
Snow&skifan wrote:
Puy St Vincent with https://www.snowbizz.co.uk/ .

Ticks every one of your boxes. For some reason, it’s a snow trap.

Run by an English lady and her French husband. English nannies, day and evening care whether your kids like skiing or not. French instructors with empathy and perfect English, small classes, our kids became good skiers.

So good, we went 11 times. Many other families did similar. Amazing memories for all of us, magical.

Either take their full package, self drive or hire a car from Turin, which is just a 2 hour drive away over Montgenevre/Claviere. Flight costs tend to be cheaper than the usual French airports.

Or incredibly cheap flights to non-ski Marseille, a 3 hour drive away via Sisteron.

Thanks - that looks good does that and not too pricey - 1900 ish for the last week in April. What did you find was the easiest way to get to it out of the options you listed?

Either flying to Marseille (always dirt cheap) or Turin (shorter drive, but a pass where you might need chains, we did once).

A 50:50 call.

Eventually bound by rigid UK school holidays, we always used Marseiile to save money on flights. From memory, I think there are far more flights to Marseille too. A straight forward drive with satnav, watch out for speed cameras. The autoroute speeds vary all the time, I got two tickets on one leg.

Wherever you go, it will be magical for the kids. Ours always got so excited at the first sight of snow, then the first sight of Puy from miles away, the final climb.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

I think there are far more flights to Marseille too.

Where do you change flights? Most to Marseille seem to change in Paris. There appear more options to Turin with changes in Amsterdam, Frankfurt, as well as Paris
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

There are some people that take children skiing in campervans. If you have a campervan, this would definitely be the way to go once you winterize the van.

Eek, 5 people in a campervan in winter. No thanks. You'd need a motorhome for that. We've done Scotland a few times in our campervan, including a memorable night at Cairngorm carpark when it dropped to minus 6 in the van and the kids (5&7) were in the pop top.

But that was just one night. Doing it for a week with no toilet or shower would be a nightmare.

Getting back on track, I also loved snowbizz but once the kids hit school age it was above our budget.

It's harder as the kids get older, but we would always pay between £2.4 and £2.8k for the four of us DIY at half term *all* in. That was always skiing a top resort, but with huge amounts of compromises ( airport choice, big drive, ski bus in the morning, SC, etc)
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
We have driven 3 years in a row to Les gets, chosen because friends were going there. Son was 5 first time.
He went in morning ski school first 2 times, last time he didn't want ski school so skied competently with us on blues and reds.
Drove because flights were crazy expensive. Have overnighted at reims, Troyes and 1 other place. We are lucky that each year school has had inset day on the Friday.
Stayed in cheap (now demolished) hotel and then last time in appt. That worked better as hard to find restaurant open at time we wanted to feed child.
Hopefully we get to go this year....
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We've always done self drive to Germany and Austria with 3 children. We live in Derbyshire, so it would always be an overnight ferry from Hull to Rotterdam on Friday night after school, at Christmas or Feb half-term, back from Rotterdam on a Saturday night, home on a Sunday. One overnight stop each way around Frankfurt/Mannheim/Heidelberg, arriving in the resort on a Sunday. Sorting out ski hire for the kids and ski passes, ready to ski Monday to Friday.

We have skied in Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Mittenwald, Stubai Gletscher 3 times as children under 10 years old get free lift passes with skiing parents, St Johann in Tirol and also less known ski resorts in Germany in Feb half-term- Winterberg, Altastenberg and Willingen, only 4.5 hour's drive from Rotterdam and good for a long weekend if there's snow. We would budget for around £3000 with lunches on the piste and a few meals out. We have own ski gear and helmets, but we hire skis and boots for the kids as they grow too fast!

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Tue 28-12-21 23:16; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Not sure how to edit my previous post, but just wanted to add that we find the ferry from Hull a really good start to the holiday and much nicer than driving all the way from NW England (we are on the border with Greater Manchester) down south or even to Harwich. You get almost 10 days out of the holiday as well. Our youngest was in a kindergarten on the Stubai Glacier at first but was in a ski school at Schlick 2000 when he was 3.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
jimmytwoburgers wrote:
Layne wrote:
@jimmytwoburgers, a smaller resort would definitely suit your group given you don't need the big mileage slope wise. The lift passes are cheaper and you can usually get better value accommodation.

We went to La Norma when the kids were little. Not been but Valmeinier supposed to be good.

If driving as mentioned above you can load up in the supermarket in the last big town before heading up the mountain. You don't have to go too crazy with the cooking. After all the exercise and fresh air everyone will have an appetite. There's always a bakery to get nice pastries for breakfast and baguette for picnic/dinner.

Thanks - I will look at these. I had a quick look at your previous posts and you have been to La Tania a lot and Les Coches! - Do you recommend these for my needs? I have not heard of Les Coches before.

Les Coches is my/our go to. On account of it's access to both La Plagne and Les Arcs; it has access to great and relatively extensive skiing below the tree line; apartment options very close to the lift/home run; fairly easy drive in and plenty of on road parking near to apartments. To be honest the skiing is probably too extensive and therefore expensive for what you need right now but probably worth bearing in mind for future trips or if you go skiing at Christmas/early season when the tree skiing and drive in aspects can be a really hope on account of the weather. That said a lot of people discount it for later season because they assume you have to go high but actually the links to Les Coches are maintained to the end of season because of the access to and from the Vanoise Express and it's easy to get above 2000m where the snow is still good.

La Tania has some similarities, as does Oz-en-Oisan. Both smaller, lower lying satellite stations that have good apartments/parking and easy access to the bigger skiing area. Again worth bearing in mind for future trips.

The downside's (arguably) is that there isn't much to do after skiing as some of the bigger stations. But for us that was never an issue as the kids could always sledge, play in the snow if they had the energy and then it was dinner, chilling, board games, reading.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

overnight ferry from Hull to Rotterdam on Friday night after school, at Christmas or Feb half-term, back from Rotterdam on a Saturday night, home on a Sunday. One overnight stop each way around Frankfurt/Mannheim/Heidelberg, arriving in the resort on a Sunday.

But that sounds hellish TBH. 4 days travelling, including 2 Hotel stops and 2 nights on the ferry...
Why not just drive through from Rott/Zeeb?

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Wed 29-12-21 12:32; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Sorry, it's 4.5hrs to less known ski areas in Germany i.e. Winterberg and Willingen, popular with the Dutch.

The drive to Bavaria/ Tirol is much longer than that and we used to break up the journey around Frankfurt/ Mannheim not to make it hellish with 3 kids, see the sights etc but some people may prefer to drive straight through of course.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Soz, have chopped out part of my post and lost it!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I go at Easter on my own with 2 kids and have done for a few years..... and I'm based in warrington so have Liverpool and Manchester to go from.

Other have said quite a bit but to add....

The ski airports - turin, salzburg, innsbruck etc all stop from the North and don't run at Easter. So you are best to use non-ski, like geneva, Venice, verona, Milan Malpensa and Munich. They run everyday. Geneva is the more expensive, Milan usually the cheapest.

Also, play the school holiday game! Usually the school hols are 2 weeks or slightly more and usually (there are a couple of exceptions) the BH weekend is either at the beginning or end of the hols... therefore leaving 1 of the weeks without a BH day....... use that week as its miles cheaper.

Remember if you go to Austria or east Italy then you don't need to go as high as you do in France. You will find less busy and cheaper places to go.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If you do decide to drive and self-cater, you may also want to check out Vallandry. We've been going there for years and kids all learnt to ski there - lots of easy runs and whole Les Arcs area as well

Vallandry is too my mind very much geared to self-catering families.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Stubai valley in Austria might be a bit of a drive but very good for family skiing holidays. We've rented an apartment in Neustift village with the same hosts every time we've been there. Free entry to an indoor pool and the ice skating in the village, 5 ski areas within a 10-20 min drive, free kindergarten on the glacier for non- skiing little ones and free lift passes for the under 10s (not sure if still the same as the kids are teenagers now and we can't go Sad )
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've been doing this as a family of 5 for 7 years and always did it as a self-drive/self-catering holiday. Agree that Easter is the cheapest time to go for school term breaks but it also means it's probably best to aim for resorts that are higher up to ensure decent snow coverage, eg, I booked Val Thoren or Val Claret/Tignes for Easter. February half term break is the busiest time and expect long queues and extended waiting times at the Eurotunnel terminal. I'd also recommend breaking up the journey, I typically, if we leave home after school breaks up, I have a cheap motel booked after the crossing before hitting the road again early in the morning. I would start the next day early (eg. on the road by 6am) as the roads and peages get very busy and sometimes traffic does come to a stand still where there are bottlenecks and also the closer you get to the resort. I try to get things booked 3-4 months before hand and generally for us 5, it usually £3k-£4k all in. That said this year,I spent an additional cost of over £500 for all the covid testing and insurance.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
johnE wrote:
Quote:

I think there are far more flights to Marseille too.

Where do you change flights? Most to Marseille seem to change in Paris. There appear more options to Turin with changes in Amsterdam, Frankfurt, as well as Paris

Perhaps it’s changed post pandemic, but Easyjet previously offered a stack of flights to Marseille.
latest report
We are on a home exchange website where we earn points from having people stay at our house while we're away, then use those points to stay in someone else's place. Doesn't have to be a direct exchange. We have stayed in les Carroz and Meribel for free on that basis in past years, and have a booking for la Rosière at end of January. Might not suit your situation or be your cup of tea, but it has worked for us, winter and summer.
snow report
Have been driving kids skiing for years and been times of great memories - sadly they are almost grown up!

Few things to note on money saving and I am pretty Yorkshire when it comes to costs:

1. if you drive yourself
- drive through Belgium (leave around Lille and come back in at Nancy - IIRC) to avoid tolls AND get low tax fuel in Luxembourg. Its about an extra 50 odd miles. Note also never fuel up at a ripoff motorway station - usually there is a cheap supermarket fuel stop nearby - plan your stops.
- rent cheaper non skinin skiout accommodation down the mountain and store skis in roofbox and drive up in the morning and ski-in ski-out from your car. Treat car like home from home so store a packed lunch and a few beers and save £1000 on lunches. eg Les Carroz was a favourite as we have breakfast early at home, got in the car for 10 mins and dropped kids at ski school for
morning then parked up the mountain slopeside and then adult skiied from there. We go back at lunch to pick up kids and lunch from car and ski with kids. If kids were tired we could keep sledges etc. change of clothes other accessories in car. No need to return to accomodation till the evening.

2. if you fly/rent a car, buy annual hire car insurance - this 50 odd quid for a year cover is much less than the excessive charges at the counter to zero all your liabilities. Also we usually rent a car on summer holiday too so you recycle the insurance. We use icarhireinsurance - we claimed one and they paid no problem

3. Car is really useful but if you do without a car eg Les Arcs, one amazing way to travel (reasonable price but really hard to book) is the overnight Lunea sleeper train service from Gare de Lyon to Bourg and eat at the amazing Train Bleu - where you get a bottle of dodgy rum with your dessert. A few swigs of that will get you ready to go straight sleep in your 6 berth and next morning you wake up in Bourg ready for a ski. Happy memories. Toofy Grin
snow report
We have been using Peak Retreats self drive twice a year since 2008 (apart from during covid when some of the holidays were postponed as they weren't possible) and always had good holidays and excellent customer service particularly this year when we were able to go away on a Christmas ski holiday thanks to their flexibility in changing our mode of transport and bringing our accommodation forward at the last minute so we could get there before the French restrictions came in. We were also offered the choice of postponement or cancelling at the last minute and having a full refund had we not wanted to proceed with the holiday. We have another ski holiday booked with them later in the season. They offer self drive including Eurotunnel flexiplus, or ferry at a cheaper rate or accommodation only if you prefer to fly but I think self drive is a better option while covid is a thing.

Some DIY options would not have allowed cancellation and full refund within the last day which is what many people were faced with this year when the rules changed at the 11th hour so I think at the current time it is much safer to book through an ABTA bonded UK TO.

I would suggest going at Easter as that is the best value in school holidays and the slopes are quieter. Montgenevre, Sainte Foy and Val Cenis are all good family options and usually have good snow conditions at Easter. Val Cenis can be a bit slushy at the bottom but goes right up to 2800m on north facing slopes. Obviously France currently has restrictions but if you wait until they are lifted you will probably get last minute availability for Easter.

We have been going on family ski holidays since our eldest was 10 months and he is now nearly twenty so have experienced a lot of french resorts with the kids.
snow report
"Best value" doesn't necessarily mean cheap, of course. But the fact is that "cheap" ski holidays with kids are always going to be physically quite hard work and, when they're small, giving up a lot of "grown up" ski time. If you can afford to pay other people to take on some of the burden then of course it will be easier! As always, having more money gives you more choices.
snow report
@kettonskimum, we agree- resorts like Le Grand Bornand are much cheaper than others- look also at booking via campsites- they often have cabins/ lodges/ rooms and apartments at much lower prices than with operators- there are many that are only a gondola ride from major and smaller resorts
latest report
Quote:

Treat car like home from home so store a packed lunch and a few beers and save £1000 on lunches.

How many of you are going for how long that your lunches are costing that much?
Shocked
snow report
I've had this question for my trips for each of the last 15 years and have tried various solutions.

On top of the budget concerns, the other factors for us where
how much of a holiday do we want? (cooking, washing up etc)
how much skiing do we want to do independently vs at small child speed
childcare (3 year olds last about 45 minutes a day on the piste)
Quality of ski school for kids

Nothing is ideal, but the payback for the early years is immense - I've just come back from 3V and a day of knee deep powder with my 16 year old was one of the highlights of my ski career

For us what worked in the early years (until they were strong enough to ski all day) was tour operators offering wrap around care - ski lessons and childcare throughout the day, so we still got a holiday. We used leski, skibeat, Mark Warner (only in term time - prices eye watering otherwise) and mostly esprit

Resort wise we still wanted to have the scale of a big resort for adults. La tania is great for friendly resort with good package options and 3V on your doorstep, plus doing laps of the green back to resort from the top of the gondola was perfect for 3 year old lessons. However we moved on to StAnton for 3 years running specifically because the ski school at Nasserein was amazing. We had a couple of really bad experiences with ESF...

And once the youngest was big enough not to need nursery care, we started to drive down and do chalet or S/C
snow conditions
Oh, and I always avoided February half term - too many dangerous idiots on crowded slopes
ski holidays
Family ski holidays do make terrific memories but if we'd only been able to go at February half term they'd never have happened. Even when we had our own place in a French ski resort we came home to the UK for the whole of the 4 week French holidays as lift queues were out of the question. wink We always went in one of the early, cheapest, weeks in January and always had a tight budget - we never ate "lunch on the slopes" as a family. The most enjoyable holidays were probably those in catered chalets, where everybody, and especially the kids, could fill up on "chalet tea", lounging round in base layers with endless mugs of tea. And we could take our own duty free gin and buy tonics, soft drinks and beers from the chalet host's "honesty bar". One evening, in a chalet in La Rosiere run by Ski Olympic, our 15 year old son got so drunk on the "free" red wine, sitting out of our sight at the opposite end of the table to us and trying to impress a very pretty fellow guest, that he couldn't lie down (had to prop him up in the corner of the bathroom with a few towels thrown over him) and couldn't face another glass of red wine for more than 5 years.
snow report
pam w wrote:
Family ski holidays do make terrific memories but if we'd only been able to go at February half term they'd never have happened. Even when we had our own place in a French ski resort we came home to the UK for the whole of the 4 week French holidays as lift queues were out of the question. wink We always went in one of the early, cheapest, weeks in January and always had a tight budget - we never ate "lunch on the slopes" as a family. The most enjoyable holidays were probably those in catered chalets, where everybody, and especially the kids, could fill up on "chalet tea", lounging round in base layers with endless mugs of tea. And we could take our own duty free gin and buy tonics, soft drinks and beers from the chalet host's "honesty bar". One evening, in a chalet in La Rosiere run by Ski Olympic, our 15 year old son got so drunk on the "free" red wine, sitting out of our sight at the opposite end of the table to us and trying to impress a very pretty fellow guest, that he couldn't lie down (had to prop him up in the corner of the bathroom with a few towels thrown over him) and couldn't face another glass of red wine for more than 5 years.

[Non judgemental] did you used to take your kids out of school in those early January weeks?

We did, but at the end of Feb/beginning of March.

It was still legal to do so in the UK at that time circa 10 years ago, the primary school headteacher was fine with it too as long as parents communicated?

We saved a big fortune over the years and the slopes were far quieter for our infants/juniors.

Once the well publicised clampdown and law change occurred in the UK, there was a shift in ski holiday timings. It was a standing joke in the school office, about all the parents ringing in with sickness notifications on the Thursday and Friday before February HT.

We did that. But just one of a small legion, the autoroutes from Coquelles to Annecy or Grenoble, a sea of packed Brit registered cars in Range Rovers and Volvos.

These days, are parents still pulling their kids out for an extra day or two, I wonder?
snow report
TheGeneralist wrote:
Quote:

Treat car like home from home so store a packed lunch and a few beers and save £1000 on lunches.

How many of you are going for how long that your lunches are costing that much?
Shocked

Ha yes thats based on 4 of us for 10 days. Unless you order tap water and dry bread, lunch in mountainside places are - min 25 / head plus service. Recently in Les Arcs, a small bowl of chips - 6.50 onion soup 16 eur bread is extra plus you gotta have a beer. Burger was 22 eur. So we do occasionally allow ourselves such a lunch but basically it was traditional home-made ham and cheese baguettes squashed into your ski jacket! Very Happy
latest report
Quote:

[Non judgemental] did you used to take your kids out of school in those early January weeks?

Oh yes, always, @Snow&skifan, just as I'd been taken out of school before the end of the summer term because my dad couldn't stand crowded camp sites and busy roads (we didn't have ski holidays when I was a child - way out of our league financially).

My kids had good school attendance generally, and we always talked to the schools (state schools) in advance.
There was never any problem - one was entitled to two weeks a year for family holidays, IIRR.

My tolerance of lift queues is very low indeed. Worst I've encountered anywhere was Cairngorm on a sunny Saturday with good snow (next day it blew a gale.....). Next worse, Le Tour, where we had to queue once to buy a lift pass, then again for the lift. Third prize goes to the Sella Ronda during the Birthday Bash. In the Espace Diamant, out of the main French holiday weeks, we expected to ski straight onto a lift, generally.

Lunches on the slopes are most pleasant and since I've only had to pay for myself I have greatly enjoyed them, especially in the Dolomites. But as a family of five they were right out of the question. These days I enjoy the break from the strenuous business of skiing, but back in the day my kids, though they were often hungry, would not have wanted to give up an hour or two of skiing just to stuff their faces. Mars Bar in the pocket or a breakfast roll was more like it.
ski holidays
Quote:

Recently in Les Arcs, a small bowl of chips - 6.50 onion soup 16 eur bread is extra plus you gotta have a beer. Burger was 22 eur.

Gulp - where have you been going or have the prices doubled this year.

Burger and chips at Rocky mountain - just up the steps as you come in to 1600 from Plan Devin were 13 ish when I was there 2 years ago a beer was an additional 3 or 4 but I tend not to have beer at lunchtime. 4 lamb chops, potatoes dauphenise and veg with bread and water (I am told that it is the law in France that these must be supplied) came to 13€ at the hotel Vanoise. Plat du Jour is normally 13 or 14€. We normally work on 15 ish for lunch upto 20 if we are splasing out and the weather is poor

But you do have a point - a filled baguette does come in at about 12€ at a kiosk where making your own is a fraction of that price.

ps. What did you think of Plan Devin?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
In school holidays and similar peak periods, it can actually be a lot easier to take a packed lunch. Especially where lift stations provide separate picnic rooms: once you suss these out, you end up saving a lot of time and money by doing your own catering. And they can actually be quite relaxing in comparison to the queues and table-hunting scrum in the restaurants. And every so often, it turns out useful to have some lunch to hand if you find it's time to eat, and you're distant from the nearest café.
snow report
I have managed to do plenty holidays with our 2 children within that budget - usually always going to Italy. February holidays we'd get flights from Manchester (we live in Scotland so getting flights before English half term made them cheaper) you can just do the reverse. Then an airbnb with 2 bedrooms, last few years paid about £800. Flights have been got for around £400, inc skis and luggage, lift pass for a family £800 - Italian resorts like La Thuile have good prices for young children, under 8s are free! Hire car - estate so we all fit £400. I normally book months (like 8-12!) in advance so get cheaper prices on hire car etc. Fly into Geneva I find a PITA for hire cars as the queues are monstrous and then you have to get a bus, but on the other hand you do get winter tyres and chains as standard. 2hr or so drive from Geneva to the Aosta valley or fly into Malpensa which may well be cheaper. Lunches are affordable on the slopes in many Italian resorts, often when the children were smaller an adult pizza or pasta would easily feed them both, and in the evenings take away pizza or self catering (basics like pasta, risotto, omelette). It does all feel like quite a lot of organising but I've looked lots of times over the years and never found a package holiday that comes even close in terms of price.
latest report
Lots of awesome ideas in this thread. Just back from a half-term trip for 5 and was idea scouting for next year. How we kept costs downish yet still holidaying with some comfort this time:

- I drove, wife and 3 little ones (all under Cool flew. This way we got 4 return flights over half term with Swiss for £450 total as baggage free (particularly as taking my own equipment). Eurotunnel, tolls, petrol and B7B in Reims added about £600. I picked up at other end so no transfer, car hire or car seat expenses.
- Went to Macugnaga, Italy. Ideal for beginners and some off-piste, less so intermediate. But as a locals' resort very good value lift pass, equipment and ski school. Came to £900 for everything for week (12 hrs of groups lessons for 3 in that)
- Booking direct and with no half-term in Italy prices don't shoot up for that one week. Nice hotel, breakfast, with family suite and spa was £1.1k for week.
- Food and drink relatively cheap.

Think above approach could be replicated at a number of off-beaten-track small Italian resorts. Bit less if self-catering.

Idea for next year is to try and use Brittany Ferries to Bilbao if ferry timings work and drive 3-4 hrs to Western Pyrenees resort (Cautarets, La Mongie or Formigal).

Easter sounds great but for security on snow need to go high and I found that tends to limit to more expensive resorts (even Livigno was coming out a lot). Would do when Easter is early (eg 2024) to widen options but probably not when late.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy