Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Geneva to French resorts

Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone!

A group of 7 if us are supposed to be flying into Geneva on 28th December to transit onto Morzine ski resort.

Has anyone had experiece yet of trying to do this?

Are there any checks between Switzerland and France or can we still?
We will likely book a taxi from Geneva airport.

Is it worth booking somewhere else like Cervinia in italy?

I'm guessing there is a few people in the same boat so wanted to ask the question.

Please let us know.

Thanks

Ash
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I traveled from Chamonix to Geneva yesterday, the driver said that they had been stopping cars at the border heading from Switzerland into France.

So even if you can get a taxi driver to break the law and try to take you in, yes you might get stopped and turned back. I think though fundamentally Though you have to ask yourself if it’s right to break health related travel restrictions during a pandemic just to ski
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ok thanks. You're absolutely right.
Great reply and what we were thinking.

Is Cervinia a good place to ski providing italy don't change their rules?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
If I was you I would look at a Swiss resort. That way you only have to worry about 1 countries rules and only one border to cross
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@SkiAsh121! +1 for Switzerland. The entry situation will then be a simple yes or no and if yes, then just one set of rules. If you're cost-sensitive and the budget isn't up to Verbier, Gstaad or Zermatt, then there are loads of Satellite¹ and lesser-known Swiss resorts² to choose from.

The only caveat I'd make is the general one: that this season the odds of having to cancel are at least 50:50 - so whatever you arrange make sure you understand the cancellation conditions. Remember that the Swiss have already imposed and then revoked mandatory quarantine for British arrivals. Wherever you go, this will be a risk. Along with a positive test before return forcing an extension in situ.

There's a separate thread already on suggestions for Swiss locations reasonably near to GVA. Be aware that car hire is currently very expensive at GVA, so choosing somewhere readily accessible by train/télépherique/PostBus is preferable if possible. See the integrated Swiss Travel Timetable at SBB to check for transport links. Type in Genève-Aéroport as the 'From' location. For example, Central Verbier ('To' Verbier (télécabine)) is about 2h30m from GVA with one change of train at Martigny, then the gondola up from the train station at Le Chable into the middle of Verbier. I've found Swiss Tourist Offices a good contact point if you're in a hurry to find accommodation e.g. Verbier TO.

The official Swiss tourism website MySwitzerland.com might also be worth a look as they often have offers and special packages.

Just a few examples out of many:
¹ La Tzoumaz, Nendaz, Veysonnaz (Quatre Vallées satellites of Verbier)
² Val d'Annivers, Ovronnaz

[Disclaimer: We have our apartment in the 4 Vallées, so this is somewhat biased to the area we know. There are plenty more locations to choose from, but I'm not so familiar with them, so I'll leave further suggestions to others. To narrow things down to a manageable scale, might I suggest you choose one major resort, one satellite, and one smaller resort and take it from there to do your research. Otherwise the choice will be just too big. But up to you, of course.]
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Excellent post @LaForet
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@SkiAsh121!, we were meant to go to Les Arcs flying to Geneva yesterday but have rerouted to Cervinia. We have changed our flight to Turin also as we were able to get full refund for GVA flights and it worked out much cheaper and also shorter transfer. Arrived in Cervinia yesterday with no issues
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
LaForet wrote:
@SkiAsh121! +1 for Switzerland. The entry situation will then be a simple yes or no and if yes, then just one set of rules. If you're cost-sensitive and the budget isn't up to Verbier, Gstaad or Zermatt, then there are loads of Satellite¹ and lesser-known Swiss resorts² to choose from.

The only caveat I'd make is the general one: that this season the odds of having to cancel are at least 50:50 - so whatever you arrange make sure you understand the cancellation conditions. Remember that the Swiss have already imposed and then revoked mandatory quarantine for British arrivals. Wherever you go, this will be a risk. Along with a positive test before return forcing an extension in situ.

There's a separate thread already on suggestions for Swiss locations reasonably near to GVA. Be aware that car hire is currently very expensive at GVA, so choosing somewhere readily accessible by train/télépherique/PostBus is preferable if possible. See the integrated Swiss Travel Timetable at SBB to check for transport links. Type in Genève-Aéroport as the 'From' location. For example, Central Verbier ('To' Verbier (télécabine)) is about 2h30m from GVA with one change of train at Martigny, then the gondola up from the train station at Le Chable into the middle of Verbier. I've found Swiss Tourist Offices a good contact point if you're in a hurry to find accommodation e.g. Verbier TO.

The official Swiss tourism website MySwitzerland.com might also be worth a look as they often have offers and special packages.

Just a few examples out of many:
¹ La Tzoumaz, Nendaz, Veysonnaz (Quatre Vallées satellites of Verbier)
² Val d'Annivers, Ovronnaz

[Disclaimer: We have our apartment in the 4 Vallées, so this is somewhat biased to the area we know. There are plenty more locations to choose from, but I'm not so familiar with them, so I'll leave further suggestions to others. To narrow things down to a manageable scale, might I suggest you choose one major resort, one satellite, and one smaller resort and take it from there to do your research. Otherwise the choice will be just too big. But up to you, of course.]

No linked satellite resorts, but small villages on the train to Zermatt specifically tasch. Is a cheaper option than Zermatt but being in town can’t be beaten. Train from the airport with 1 change to get up right into the middle of town. Amazing town and huge variety of skiing. Not cheap though
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Coming back to Geneva from Tignes on Sat', I spotted French police checking vehicles at the border (one obvs' an Enterprise minibus) going the other way. A week earlier, we drove straight through with no sign of life there.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Flew into GVA early this morning, 35 pax on the flight only! Easy through GVA passport control and onto the train and now in Zermatt!
Hardest parts were getting up at 2.45 am and wearing a mask from 05:00 to 15:00!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Have an English car over in France currently - am I right that I can drive over to Geneva to drop someone off at GVA and then drive back across into France. I might expect to be pulled over at the border given UK plates but any misunderstanding about breaking the rules easily cleared up ?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'm trying to find the answer to a related question, apologies if this should be on a different thread.

In the UK and I think Switzerland the covid rules consider any country you've stayed in during the previous 10 days as a country of origin, but I can't find a timeframe for the French rules.

We have a 4 week trip to France (PDS) planned in January, and I'm wondering about flying to Geneva and staying in Switzerland for a bit(a day, 10 days, somewhere in between?) and then transferring from Switzerland to France but free of UK entry restrictions.

I've seen nothing that says you can or can't do this definitively, but logic says it should be ok, the main unknown is how long in Switzerland is long enough?

Any thoughts or opinions welcomed.

I've read every bit of the French Gov websites and even emailed the French Consulate but have no answer yet.

Thanks for your help
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
There’s no published guidance detailing timeframes.

You can enter from a green country like Italy but not sure you can enter from Switzerland.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Switzerland counts as a green country for France.

I did more research, and there's a form you are required to submit to gain entry to France from the UK.

https://mobile.interieur.gouv.fr/Actualites/L-actu-du-Ministere/Certificate-of-international-travel?fbclid=IwAR3t-HzCbL8-2liBFdGjrtMwCdomVIVb473mCDZmSN9LA7d1ISBRdYnLyJQ

From this document it looks like you have to be out of the UK for 14 days before entering France...
"Passengers wishing to travel to France must present this certificate to transport companies before boarding and to border control authorities. It applies to travellers arriving by a direct flight or after a transit of less than 14 days in another country. Failure to do so shall result in the passenger being denied boarding or access to the territory."

I'm sure it's possible to get past the boarder patrols, and just don't bother with the paperwork, but you need to be aware that you could be subject to fines or other trouble if you are stopped and can't prove lawful entry.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Lifted from facebook, not sure if this will work.

“Top Tip for full refund on EASYJET flights to Geneva for those who were travelling to France (if you want a refund that is).

Tell them you are NOT fully vaccinated, that then makes you eligible for full refund, or vouchers. I took the refund and plan to travel again end of Jan restrictions permitting”
ski holidays
I’m not advocating breaking the rules, but the last time I drove on this stretch of road there was no physical border/checkpoint between Switzerland and France. Head for the Swiss village of Morgins in the Portes Du Soleil and head for Chatel on the D22.
snow report
@Ricklovesthepowder, there is a physical checkpoint on this road at the edge of Morgins. There is a customs house which is sometimes manned. No physical barrier on the road but there is a white line you are meant to stop at. This is a Swiss facility but I am sure they would be happy to share it with their French Counterparts. The French customs also regularly use mobile units near the borders. I have been stopped on a number of occasions in that area and they are usually looking for people who have been shopping for various items in Switzerland. Of course if you are not breaking the rules then you will have nothing to worry about.
snow report
@pateman99, thanks for the update.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy