Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zipfits - have they gone bust?

Poster: A snowHead
I have been using the same zipfit liners for about 12 years and never have any rubbing from the liners. Are you doing the liners up tight? I get next to no movement of my leg in the liner to cause such blisters. My liners look just like yours so I doubt it's a zipfit problem.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Can you post a pic of the tongue, same as the one I took?

I can see a way to fix the tongue, by clamping the edge (only) in a vice between two bits of wood, for perhaps a few days, so one doesn't have that edge bit with the ~7mm diameter round cross-section (the rubbing of which has obviously done this) but it still surprises me.

My liners have the "lace" and the velcro strap. The velcro is well above the relevant area, but the lace tightens up the entire calf section of the liner. I am tightening up the lace as I remember it done in the shop; fairly tightly.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
"I can see a way to fix the tongue, by clamping the edge (only) in a vice between two bits of wood"

Should work and sounds like the reverse of how I imagine it happened in the first place NehNeh
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Peter Stevens, I've got some fairly old zipfit liners (from 2010), don't seem as turned in as yours...

snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
OK; many thanks for the pics.

The edges on yours are basically same as mine. Mine are turned in more, but one has no access into the liner after it is put on and laced up. And even if one did manage to get a finger or whatever in there, there is no guarantee they won't turn in again. It can happen pretty fast.

Something must be turning the edges in. A clue may be that on the 1st trip with zipfits, it took 3 days of skiing before I got the problem, and then it was pretty rapid. It happened on the 4th day and was noticed immediately. The resulting "burn" was same as the photo I posted, but displaced by about 5mm. I was there only 4 days anyway. That one took the whole 3 weeks to heal up, just as I was going on another trip. On that one, I got the problem on day 1. Luckily I brought those yellow silicone shin protectors with me and was able to continue skiing for 5 more days without any trouble.

Unfortunately I don't have an earlier photo of the tongues; I had no reason to think I needed one. Also they feel fine; one cannot feel anything from that funny edge.

Perhaps the shop owner (he reads the posts here, and posted earlier in this thread) can take a look at his stock and compare.

I can carry on with these liners because they are fine in other ways. They are also significantly warmer than the Sidas ones I used before (the ones which tried to cut my leg off, after a stupid ski shop melted the material inside them, turning it into sharp lumps) which is a bonus, because while glove heating is trivial, getting boots off on the slopes isn't. I ought to find a more "around fitting" protector though, because while they have not cut my calves on the outside, they may do in the future.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Peter Stevens, mine have caused me zero issues including a 3 day tour, so I don’t believe mine are turned in at all else I’d have issues. Mine wrap nicely around my shin.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Peter Stevens, just catching up with this now... strangely enough we have been slammed for the last few weeks

definitely doesn't look like any liner defect... how are you putting them on, i am trying to catch up but there are so many comments about liners on feet first and putting on when liner is already in shell, can you also remind me what shell you are in as i didn't do the fitting and have slept since then...

putting the liner on, the way they were designed is to put the liner on first and then go into the shell, this allows you easy access into the liner and then the tongue can be pushed down on top of the foot to give that 3 dimensional fit.. if you are putting the boot on with the liner already in the shell you need to do a number of things, loosen the laces all the way down (or remove them and replace the bottom two eyelets with some elastic to stop the tongue twisting out) pull the tongue GENTLY to the side NOT pulling it straight up as this causes the area where the tongue transitions to turn in and potentially cause the problem that you have been suffering, you then need to lift the back of the liner a couple of inches out of the shell and whilst pulling up on the liner push the foot back down to take the liner with resistance with it, you can repeat this a couple of times if you like, this reprimes the heel and makes sure you are seated right at the back of the liner, then carefully position the tongue so as it isn't rolled before tightening the laces

my gut feeling is the tongue has been pulled up really hard to put the boot on, and has stayed rolled for a period of time, would need to get hands on with it to be sure
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I had a very careful look at my liners and got some photos.

With the tongue pressed against the shin and with the edges spread out and not "folding back" at all, this is what I get

There is just a few mm between the skin and the edge of the green leather. You just need to close that gap and you get a nasty cut, pretty fast - unless the boot is done up really tight so nothing can move.

Also that part of the tongue can't really "fold inwards". Further down it can but that is not where it can touch the skin.

I reckon this is defective manufacture, but it is very close; probably if that stitch and the edge of the leather were another 2-3mm further back, it would not cause any problem.

On the other side of the tongue is black leather and it is slightly further away from the edge, so I got lucky on that one.

Pics sent to Zipfits for their view.

In the long run I will need to get some decent shin protectors, but not for the shin; for the areas either side.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Peter Stevens, other than that(which im sure can be sorted), you like the liners then? I'm in 2 minds on what way to go. I'm thinking intuition tour wraps for my AT boots and zips in my normal boots.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
They are very comfy. No issues at all, and they are warmer than the Sidas ones (ok for me down to -15C, with thin socks).

Also the process of putting on the liner first makes it much easier. No more cutting one's foot off on the shell edges (one has to do it with a knee on the ground, as per the videos posted earlier). In fact it would be quite impossible to get into these while the liner is in the shell. Makes me wonder how I got inside previous ones; they must have been a lot looser when the shell was not buckled up.

But I am no expert Smile
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Peter Stevens, be interesting to hear what they say, looking at a couple of liners in stock that is a consistent margin for the stitching, not ever had anyone have this issue with it before, but as with everything there is no such thing as not possible
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I think the reason why I managed to do 3-4 days on one trip before it started was because I had several pairs of socks with me, all different, but all were the "heavily patterned" ski socks, €25-30 sort of thing, and they might have provided some protection, by accident in just the right places. On the most recent trip I wore just smooth silk+merino socks and got the cut on day 1, as per the photo above, which looks bad and believe me is bad Smile Takes a whole month to heal up - just in time for the next ski trip.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I don't think @ Peter Stevens claim on the liners is without merit. I'm on the same liner and have around 20 days on them.

Yesterday for the first time I started getting a hotspot which aligned with where the bottom of the tongue which curls in a bit was. Slackening the ankle buckle solved it and I applied duct tape overnight to " reeducate" the curled edge. I put the curled edge down to sloppy seating when buckling up the empty boot at the end of a trip.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I got this reply which isn't going to solve anything, because I don't see a simple fix.

Thanks for sending this on, Peter. And I’m sorry you’re dealing with this
issue. I have read through the thread on snow heads and looked at your
photos. Nothing catastrophic jumps out at me upon looking at the photos.
That isn’t to say that there isn’t an issue, rather that the issue is
probably fixable. My recommendation would be to bring the liner back to
Collin and problem solved with him. He is a very competent boot fitter and
will surly be able to help you out.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Peter Stevens, isn't taking the liner back to Solutions4Feet the logical next step? I don't know how easy/difficult that is for you, but assuming it's not logistically impossible, it's what I'd expect to do if I was in your position.
snow conditions
It's an all day trip, which is one thing, but I fail to see what a boot fitter can do, when the issue seems to be that the hard leather edge is just 2-3mm away from the skin, and occassionally touches. The shop already said above that his existing stock is the same as mine.

I am looking at making my own shin protector from some 3mm neoprene, maybe even attached (with glue) to the tongue, so make sure the tongue edge gets nowhere near the skin.

Like I said, it looks like a manufacturing issue where they mostly got lucky, just, and sometimes not quite.
latest report
@Peter Stevens, without going into too much detail as it is impossible without the actual liner and the foot, my gut says i unpick the stitching extend the neoprene a couple of mm and then restitch it, thats why i have 2 industrial sewing machines

the biggest problem with this is i leave the country next week for a month, had you contacted me earlier and directly rather than just focusing on posting on a forum then it would have been easier
snow report
Weird. I had an almost identical injury/bruise after a day’s skiing a few days ago. First time ever. I have since then taken special care to properly align the tongue, pull the laces up tight, and (so far) it has not made the injury worse.

BTW: I have probably skied ~600 days in Zipfits and this event was a first.
snow report
Peter Stevens, now look what you've done - It's turning into a Pandemic. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
@Old Fartbag, looks like it's gone viral
snow conditions
snowdave wrote:
@Old Fartbag, looks like it's gone viral

Zipfit Alpha?
latest report
"without going into too much detail as it is impossible without the actual liner and the foot, my gut says i unpick the stitching extend the neoprene a couple of mm and then restitch it, thats why i have 2 industrial sewing machines"

Indeed; this is what Zipfits USA suggested, and thank you for the offer. This may sound weird but I don't want to spend a day of my life on the road, when I have an excellent solution in the form of two of the 3mm thick silicone pads.

"the biggest problem with this is i leave the country next week for a month, had you contacted me earlier and directly rather than just focusing on posting on a forum then it would have been easier"

I got back from the last ski trip only 3 days ago, and only then it became clear to me what the issue is. Actually I don't particularly like posting here about problems, in view of past treatment by some regulars Wink
snow report
@Peter Stevens, why not just post the liners to CEM?
snow conditions
No hotspot today after my reeducation camp.
latest report
So it sounds like it was your action that caused it and having accepted that you were able to reverse the process Dave? Imagine that!
ski holidays
"why not just post the liners to CEM?"

Yes that should work; only the tongue needs re-stitching. But the man is away now anyway. I might do a final trip in March and for that I have a fix, and then will have plenty of time.

Amazing that Zipfits practically admitted to defective manufacture.

I still think that unstitching, cutting back the leather and re-stitching may be a bit risky. I might try a bigger shin protector instead. It's worth a try because these liners are otherwise excellent.
snow report
Peter Stevens wrote:
"why not just post the liners to CEM?"

Yes that should work; only the tongue needs re-stitching. But the man is away now anyway. I might do a final trip in March and for that I have a fix, and then will have plenty of time.

Amazing that Zipfits practically admitted to defective manufacture.

I still think that unstitching, cutting back the leather and re-stitching may be a bit risky. I might try a bigger shin protector instead. It's worth a try because these liners are otherwise excellent.

seriously Peter, stop being difficult about this,

1 i am not away yet, i said above i leave the country on the 3rd of march
2 you may only have been back 3 days form your trip but you found time to post all over this forum rather than make direct contact with me
3 Zipfit are not admitting there is a fault, i can confidently say you are the first person i have heard of with this issue, i have been selling zipfit since 1999 with my former employer and since 2005 in my business, we sell between 120-150 pairs a season so there are a fair few out there that we have sold, the liners as Chris explained to you are hand made, they are stitched to tolerances and all pretty much the same in that area, the fact that it hits you there is freak not common in any way, and we offered you a solution which is to restitch the liner, its the reason i have 2 commercial sewing machines so we can deal with the weird and the wonderful. i have also spoken to the actual manufacturer and he is confident that making that alteration will work

having read the whole 4 pages of this thread you appear to like to do things your way, you throw insults at people, you get prissy about not being able to get a liner on your doorstep and when you find a rare problem you reject the solutions offered

what do you think you would gain by getting a different liner from zipfit... my money is nothing as it would hit you in exactly the same place.

threads like this are the single reason most of the ski industry don't contribute on here

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Tue 22-02-22 13:54; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
"Zipfit, Powder and Paint, Zipfit............"
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
"you throw insults at people, you get prissy about not being able to get a liner on your doorstep and when you find a rare problem you reject the solutions offered"

wow.

CEM - I would have posted you the liners but it doesn't sound like a good idea, does it.
snow conditions
Peter Stevens wrote:

CEM - I would have posted you the liners but it doesn't sound like a good idea, does it.

your choice, but with the greatest will in the world, we have offered you a solution, which would sort the issue and you carry on as you have throughout the entire thread
latest report
Having got a feeling there was more to some of the replies I've had a look back at some of his previous threads and that seems to be common. Ask a question, ignore the answers/solutions, declare he's right... play the victim when pulled up on it.
latest report
@JudgeMent4l, got it in one
snow report
@JudgeMent4l, Amen
ski holidays
Quite. But this thread has given me a fright - that the same might happen with my Zipfits, because (for 10 years) I have been committing the cardinal sin of inserting my feet into my already Zipfitted boots. Shocked Hey ho, CEM already knows I'm an idiot. Laughing
snow report
Hurtle wrote:
Quite. But this thread has given me a fright - that the same might happen with my Zipfits, because (for 10 years) I have been committing the cardinal sin of inserting my feet into my already Zipfitted boots. Shocked Hey ho, CEM already knows I'm an idiot. Laughing

nah, i think you will be just fine.... from the original description of the problem everyone thought it was much further down the tongue not where it is which can be fixed simply
snow conditions
Besides which I think you'd notice it and adjust @Hurtle, long before it cut your leg. "Where there's no sense there's no feeling" comes to mind so I think you're OK
snow report
holy sh*t, this has been going on since Dec 21, with various issues/injuries across multiple liners (2 week old Sidas ones, previous waxed? liners), boots, socks etc. Zipfits were fine at first for a few days then suddenly created an injury once socks were changed?

@Peter Stevens, I think take a step back and perhaps worth checking all sorts of things at this point inc socks, boots (how old are they??) to check no sharp bits, any thermal liners you wear etc etc
snow report
@CEM, @adithorp, I am touched by your faith in me
snow conditions
Steady on, I wouldn't go that far! Toofy Grin
latest report
@adithorp, Laughing
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy