Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How Difficult is Cross Country Skiing?

Poster: A snowHead
Lots of great advice here, so thanks very much. I think we might just stick with downhill skiing for an afternoon instead - I would love to try cross country but you've mostly all put me off!

Our planned trip to France for some downhill skiing in Feb/March is now looking at serious risk, so the idea of getting at least half a day in this season is growing on me.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
milzibkit wrote:
you've mostly all put me off!

That's a shame. Not everybody had a miserable time on their first day! rolling eyes

That said, I think a lot of downhill skiers fair worse than non-skiers due to their misaligned expectation. Thinking xc skiing is just a slower version of downhill, they aren't prepared to feel like bambi on ice once again. Whilst non-skiers went out for a jog on slippery planks and have a better time.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

they aren't prepared to feel like bambi on ice once again.

very good description. I had two separate weeks of XC (classic) instruction and a couple of hours of 1:1 private. I was still fairly crap, but I did enjoy it - especially after new snow fall, in a very beautiful area. The gradients (up and down) and bends are part of the experience. I couldn't be bothered with a flat, valley-bottom loipe.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I still have my Classic gear along with the OH's and once or twice a season subject to the gear fitting various friends I take them out for an introductory sortie, and they all get along really well.

That's probably down to the terrain choice as in the pictures on the previous page, for the life of me I can't figure out why students should be attempting a downhill that might result in injury, for sure an ever so gentle gradient, and teach one ski in the track and one out and some basic snow-ploughs but most people can only manage an hour or so, so you don't want to knacker them or put them off!

Today I went to another valley where it's only XC and it's very popular with families / beginners etc and not too many Strava Lycra warriors, though that's probably more to do with having to take your skis off to cross roads in order to get to other areas of the domain.

Though as I've said before, one does wonder in this Elf & Safety world why helmets are not worn by beginners, as they are far likely to fall quite hard!

And for the record it was @abc, who suggested that I might not do too well at it Laughing

And again very pleasant conditions, but up in the forest on the reds was far more challenging but cold out of the sunshine.

ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pam w wrote:
I couldn't be bothered with a flat, valley-bottom loipe.

That's why I took up skating after 30+ years of classic. snowHead

I agree it can get boring shuffling on the long flat valley floor and not seemingly getting anywhere. Made worse by the skating grandpa flying by.

But now I'm the granny who fly by and collecting envious looks! Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Weathercam wrote:

And for the record it was @abc, who suggested that I might not do too well at it Laughing

What was it that I suggested you might not do well?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I am considering trying XC for "something new". Anybody know if one of the two types is easier on arthritic hips? When I skate flat sections on alpine gear my hips inform me that this action isn't something they'd want to do all day.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Scooter in Seattle, a lot of people say skating is harder on the joints.

They reported it's the side-to-side movement seems to be the problematic part. I haven't noticed any issue myself. But I've only done it for 2 seasons. So far, so good.

Specifically for the hip, I have mix feeling about it. I've had some hip issues for some years now. Skating uphill puts a lot of stress on the hip. But in my case, it seems movement helps to alleviate my symptom. So counterintuitive. YMMV

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Tue 21-12-21 19:06; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
abc wrote:

You "can't turn to save your life" despite the lesson? Shocked

What kind of "lesson" was that? Sad

It was a private lesson (two of us who can ski downhill) by a local ski school. They took us in a Land-rover to join a level trail (with proper XC tracks). Canadian resident instructor, ISTR. About 2 hours duration. We could get along on the flat but never mastered a turn properly. I was still afraid of anything approaching a downhill section at the end of that day. For context I've skied about 40 weeks downhill over 45 years.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I find skating is especially hard on your body at first, because you tend to compensate the bad technique with physical force. Only tried it a few times though, with the good guidance of a very competent friend I managed to have fun and did not fall once, but my experience was not typical according to him Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
abc wrote:
Weathercam wrote:

What was it that I suggested you might not do well?

I honestly can't remember, but I do recall you graciously complimented me on my progress later on Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
balso wrote:
I find skating is especially hard on your body at first, because you tend to compensate the bad technique with physical force. Only tried it a few times though, with the good guidance of a very competent friend I managed to have fun and did not fall once, but my experience was not typical according to him Toofy Grin

My instructor was weeing himself laughing when I showed him what my HR was as I firmly came from the no technique so revert to physical force camp Laughing

Also every now and again I come across a Lycra clad classic skier and they can out pace me, but again that's down to major fitness and technique that you don't often see away from the televised events.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I did a first week's lesson in France - the other participants were French, mostly already downhill skiers. I would say that we were all struggling to turn decently even at the end of the week. We did snowplough turns down a gentle slope, around small cones - like 4 year olds in their first ski lessons. We could just about do that, though with no great style - but "step turning", stepping onto the inside ski on a bend, was another story. But we all improved our glide, and when we started falling over frontwards, instead of backwards, the instructor was pleased! We practised stepping in and out of the tracks on a gentle downhill gradient - were pretty wobbly doing that, too. We learnt the basic gliding steps - I learnt their names in French, don't know them in English. It was very worthwhile, and enjoyable - and good for my French. Yes, there are plenty of people who really do just walk round the easy circuits, but that's really not quite the point. C'est un sport de glisse!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I learned to xc before I started downhill (not quite. I tried downhill, no progress, hated it. Decided xc looks more reasonable rolling eyes )

But I had MANY hours of lessons!

Let's see, I was studying in uni. Had already fulfilled my course requirements, with little interest in other topics (more like I couldn't get the spot to the course I wanted, pissed off and decided I'd take something fun). So it was 3 hours each week for 15 weeks! Smile

After 10 weeks of one topic each (single ski glide, 2 ski weight transfer... snowplough, snowplough turn, step turn etc). We were just out touring. And add some off piste outside the tracks...

And we were supposed to log minimum of 3 hour practice time between classes too. Basically, the sort of "program" a youngster would had been asked to do. Only we were all 20 somethings.

So when it was time for learning skating, I adopted that same regiment. (well, not exactly, I had several "false start" which got me nowhere, so finally decided to get on with a more formal "program") Many hours of lessons, interspersed with focused practices. Seems to be starting to work.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pam w wrote:
I did a first week's lesson in France - the other participants were French, mostly already downhill skiers. I would say that we were all struggling to turn decently even at the end of the week. We did snowplough turns down a gentle slope,

That's almost reassuring for me! I'm sure I'd improve given more time. Those Norwegian trails were in a lovely setting (Beitøstolen, a XC centre but with downhill as well).
snow conditions
billb wrote:
pam w wrote:
I did a first week's lesson in France - the other participants were French, mostly already downhill skiers. I would say that we were all struggling to turn decently even at the end of the week. We did snowplough turns down a gentle slope,

That's almost reassuring for me! I'm sure I'd improve given more time. Those Norwegian trails were in a lovely setting (Beitøstolen, a XC centre but with downhill as well).

Couple of things could help in the snowplough turn (or any turn).
- As the edges has no metal, there's only so much pressure you can apply to it before it'll break away. That's just physics. So, even if you have perfect technique, you can't expect to make a plough turn as sharp as in your downhill skis at the same speed... SLOW DOWN before you try to turn!
- Weight forward - instead of bending at the knee or waist, "close" the ankle. That would bring the knee & hip forward. Basically, you need weight on the skis for the edge (however flimsy those edges are) to bite into the snow.
- Punch your hand forward, that helps to bring the upper body forward. Again, to help the edge bite.
- Keep your head up and look towards the far end of the track. That again helps to bring your upper body forward. (don't stare at the tip of your skis)

There're a lot more little things that helps too. But these are the simplest ones that pretty much everyone can execute.

In fact, those are the same as for beginner downhill skiers. But without the stiff boot, the effect of those weight shifts are much easier to do & feel far more pronounce on xc skis.
latest report
@abc thanks
ski holidays
@Scooter in Seattle, I'd say classic much easier on hip joints (and perhaps knees too) as you're moving in one "fore and aft" plane. If you get on well with it, you'll be well placed to start on skating. I don't think many people start straight in with skating - unless they're young, athletic and fit! It's not really about going fast, but it is about going efficiently - the people who pass you aren't necessarily stronger or fitter, they're just much better at it! Think of two swimmers - one doing an effective crawl, body flat out along the surface etc etc. The other sploshing around, legs dangling down, breathing ineffectively, etc.
latest report
Thanks @pam w, especially for the more-accurate-than-you-knew description of me swimming. I glide thru the water like a small office building......
snow conditions
Yeah, me too. Laughing
latest report
Thanks for bringing up swimming, NOT!

I need to do the same regarding swimming as I did with skiing. Put in focus effort for a season to get some result. So far I’ve been delaying and delaying in taking that plunge (pun intended)!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy