Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cool short film

Poster: A snowHead
A great short film about skiing in Norway.

http://youtube.com/v/aaeBN_JYkcA
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Not so short, but an awesome film, and that first "warm-up" couloir Shocked

Great catch Rob Very Happy
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for this. I haven't watched this one yet but I've watched a fair few of Nikolai Schirmer's other videos and they're excellent. A real showcase of Scandinavian freeskiing. His YouTube channel is worth a follow.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Superb! Nice story, good characters and some stunning scenery and skiing if right on the limit. Can’t believe he skied that first couloir on tech bindings and boots Shocked
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yeh not really short, think I was thinking about his other YouTube stuff. That first couloir is some line.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I enjoyed that film - thanks for posting that. The thought of doing that after being seasick for a couple of days.... Skullie
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Nice film. Nikolai Schirmer is a good story teller (and skier).

Though : am I the only one who thinks he is a complete bomb-scare / accident waiting to happen.... ?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Haggis_Trap wrote:
Nice film. Nikolai Schirmer is a good story teller (and skier).

Though : am I the only one who thinks he is a complete bomb-scare / accident waiting to happen.... ?

I am not sure if he is a bomb scare as you put it, but he does seam to have a lot of close calls. I think if you spend a lot of time that close to the limit of what you do, then you will have some close calls. Is he being more honest in his videos or is he pushing things a little to much?
The one that got me, was after the avalanche the snowboarder saying, he was looking to run the line next to it, interesting that that was his go to thought. I liked it as a film and thought it was a good reminder of heuristic traps and that they can effect everyone,
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ecrinscollective wrote:

Is he being more honest in his videos or is he pushing things a little to much?
The one that got me, was after the avalanche the snowboarder saying, he was looking to run the line next to it, interesting that that was his go to thought. I liked it as a film and thought it was a good reminder of heuristic traps and that they can effect everyone,

For sure - it makes exciting / compulsive viewing....
However i had head in hands watching it.
No doubt he is a great skier and film maker - however I make no apology for questioning his decision making.

It is not the first Nikolai Schirmer film I have watched where he has glamorised a f--k up / very near miss (... he has at least 3 other different avalanche films on youtube from last 2 years)

Even my wife commented just before the near miss in this latest film about the number of red flags (high winds, steep slope, rowdy terrain, fresh snow fall within 12 hours). Those guys appeared to be high on stoke and rooted on in regardless, ticking just about every heuristic-trap on the way.

Good role model ?
I am not so sure...
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I think a lot of them are on the edge. See XdlR recent video
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Go back and watch some of his older videos, they may be even worse for lack of safety! There was always some suggestion that maybe he was not so reckless and behind the scenes there was a lot more safety going on and it was a bit of an act for more YouTube views. I think now there is too much evidence of him ending up in bad situations to think it's just an act.

I was definitely a bit shocked when his friend went off to ski the couloirs on his own!

Certainly not a film for backcountry education, other than "what not to do".

Quote:

I think a lot of them are on the edge

Yep. The guys first response to the avalanche being to pick out a line to ride, whereas most normal people would be scared and thinking this is a bad situation what's my safest option to get down.

As much as Nikolai makes reference to changing his approach and that he has other priorities now and doesn't want to take risks he doesn't seem to be able to resist it. I suspect there's a few pros in this category. At this point I almost feel like it's a when rather than if he will be involved in another avalanche.

He's certainly a great skier and his willingness to take risks certainly makes for some great viewing. Does that make us as willing viewers complicit in some way? Would the video have half as many views and likes if they'd focused more on avy safety and had turned back on that route or spent the video skiing much tamer terrain?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Haggis_Trap wrote:

Good role model ?
I am not so sure...

100% understand your thoughts and no he is probably not being the best role model. I can see that if people watching it, start to think its normal to set slides off all over the place and ignore red flags it's not healthy.

For me I like watching for the mountain scenery of places I would love to ski but probably won't get the chance. I would prefer it if there was less epics and more time in the films showing their planning and prepping to avoid the epics. I think this would be more interesting and make a better program.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

I would prefer it if there was less epics and more time in the films showing their planning and prepping to avoid the epics. I think this would be more interesting and make a better program

Cody's 50 project does a good job of showing some of the decision making and safety stuff, while still featuring plenty of epic skiing and routes.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
[quote="boarder2020"]
Quote:

Cody's 50 project does a good job of showing some of the decision making and safety stuff, while still featuring plenty of epic skiing and routes.

Yeh I think the 50 is a great series, and part of that is the talking about decisions and safety.

was just watching this as you posted
http://youtube.com/v/GRWpKt6irkQ with Cody.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
boarder2020 wrote:
Does that make us as willing viewers complicit in some way?

That is a great question...
Watching avalanche poddles makes great entertainment.

Though it personally makes me uneasy to watch (perhaps because I am no longer comfortable with near misses?).
snow conditions
I thought the craziest thing was that he straight lined that couloir on touring gear Shocked Shocked Shocked
snow report
This one is a bit more “arty”. From Yann Rausis, FWT competitor from Verbier

http://youtube.com/v/XTWmY_l4AXg
snow report
I enjoyed that film - thanks for share that.
snow report
I enjoy his videos, but I will be really surprised if he does not cop it. Their decision making and safety can be dire. Some of the riding is really dicey.
snow report
„You guys don‘t know how to read this? How are you alive?“

http://youtube.com/v/JLi7pyxKu70
snow report

http://youtube.com/v/y65RwIR1KgY
snow report
Watch “Long Days” on RBTV, enjoyed it, bunch of guys playing out in Montenegro…….unexpected deep snow drama at 22.30 Shocked Montenegro looks awesome
ski holidays

http://youtube.com/v/gi2wU5-J21o
latest report
this is a nice video (everyone loves Hedvig?)
plus some better decision making from Niko Schirmer.
perhaps because MSP paid for a guide to keep him alive ?

http://youtube.com/v/tWhCaUdaDGA
latest report
Haggis_Trap wrote:
this is a nice video (everyone loves Hedvig?)
plus some better decision making from Niko Schirmer.
perhaps because MSP paid for a guide to keep him alive ?

There was a guide in the first clip (wavy) wasn’t there? Surprised they showed that she didn’t dig the pit before they dropped in.
ski holidays
Another nice film

http://youtube.com/v/ZcLaDRwN0po
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy