Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Another UK Lockdown Imminent?

Poster: A snowHead
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Hospitalisations were shorter and deaths fewer than with Delta and yet we are told that this is due to higher levels of immunity and younger age of population - UK has almost 3 times higher rate of vaccination which may offset this demographic advantage.

My understanding (which might well be wrong) is that because of the low levels of vaccination in S Africa the population made a big leap forward in immunity after high rates of infection by Delta. So hospitalisation would have been lower anyway, even if there were no difference in virulence of Omicron. So Omicron has had less of an impact on severe illness and death in S Africa, than Delta did in S Africa. Transferring that difference across to a completely different population is not straightforward. Apples and Pears.

Some published medical opinion opines there is no immunity legacy from Delta in the face of Omicron. Who knows Puzzled
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Covid cases seem relatively flat, even declining today in some parts of northern Britain.
Sooner or later though the Omicrons are going to find a way out of London to overwhelm the Deltans!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
RobinS wrote:
As well as the SAGE minutes Sky are also reporting "government officials" drawing up plans for a lockdown starting on the 26th.

I thought that was what I said Puzzled Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Boris wrote:
On another note - why’s this in The Piste?

Shouldn’t it be in Apres with the other 7 zillion threads

Because the moderators are too busy moderating over at the apres section, and nobody had alerted them to move this one over to add to their workload? Toofy Grin rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
chocksaway wrote:
@The Flying Snowplough, The numbers going into hospital are increasing slightly, the total number in hospital is plateauing, the number in intensive care is falling slightly. Given over 47 % of over 12s have now had a booster, there is cause for hope.

Sorry to say that is not the whole story. The average is hiding the truth to some extent. If you look at where the Omicron wave is most advanced, London, you get a different picture. Admissions are up, total in hospital is rising, and at the same time staff absence is going through the roof. I know we all want top wish it away by pretending Omicron cases less severe illness, that it is all a storm in a tea cup, it is all ok because few people are dying right now. Just a tiny bit of deeper analysis shows a much more worrying picture.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
There may be some additional restrictions coming, but lockdown like before, I doubt it.

Not unless they want riots and unrest like Holland to deal with as well.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
NickyJ wrote:

Except people aren’t going about their business as usual. Restaurants and theatres etc have seen massive cancellations. Mask wearing is mandatory which allegedly makes a difference. People have been asked to limit their social interactions to what really matters and there is evidence that people are listening

That's good news. It's more useful if "people" take it seriously and curtail their social activity than another government one-size-fit-all lockdown. And hopefully the change of behavior might help avoid the latter.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
zikomo wrote:
chocksaway wrote:
@The Flying Snowplough, The numbers going into hospital are increasing slightly, the total number in hospital is plateauing, the number in intensive care is falling slightly. Given over 47 % of over 12s have now had a booster, there is cause for hope.

Sorry to say that is not the whole story. The average is hiding the truth to some extent. If you look at where the Omicron wave is most advanced, London, you get a different picture. Admissions are up, total in hospital is rising, and at the same time staff absence is going through the roof. I know we all want top wish it away by pretending Omicron cases less severe illness, that it is all a storm in a tea cup, it is all ok because few people are dying right now. Just a tiny bit of deeper analysis shows a much more worrying picture.

Are Omicron cases driving the rise in hospitalisations in London? I’m no expert but the current state of play in London is sure due to Delta infections filtering through and/or undiagnosed Omicron cases from before when it was officially recognised. There just aren’t enough official Omicron cases to have driven meaningful hospitalisation stats I’d have thought.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
abc wrote:
NickyJ wrote:

Except people aren’t going about their business as usual. Restaurants and theatres etc have seen massive cancellations. Mask wearing is mandatory which allegedly makes a difference. People have been asked to limit their social interactions to what really matters and there is evidence that people are listening

That's good news. It's more useful if "people" take it seriously and curtail their social activity than another government one-size-fit-all lockdown. And hopefully the change of behavior might help avoid the latter.

I wonder how much of the anecdotal evidence from the hospitality industry is genuine though. If you can sweet talk rishi into doling out free cash again then what’s not to like?

My single data point is our local cafe which was absolutely rammed today when I picked up a takeout. (We’re isolating as currently a “Plague House”.)
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

when I picked up a takeout.

Hmmmm, my wife uses that one and it really rips my knitting.

Its a takeaway unless you are from the US of A, or are an extra on Friends, no ???
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@GreenDay, aye, takeaway, kerryoot, and messages.

Don't get me started on the lunch/dinner debate. Happy

I'm off to order a takeaway for my tea.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@GlasgowCyclops, Oooft - my wife has just ordered a Thai delivery (so, no controversy there)...........but its for my dinner Very Happy
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Have a look at john Burns Murdoch's most recent thread. 80% or so of London's so-called Covid hospitalisations were admitted for reasons other than Covid. Given how prevalent omicron is (and will be), this distinction between 'with covid' and 'of covid' is going to become really important.

https://twitter.com/drraghibali/status/1472134530173702145

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Sat 18-12-21 18:26; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Holland blinks first - suspect may be a lovely night there tonight

Mind you (conspiracy theory alert) will it get reported? There was allegedly a protest march in London today and I’ve seen nothing on news
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
GreenDay wrote:
Quote:

Its a takeaway unless you are from the US of A, or are an extra on Friends, no ???

Carryout surely?
snow report
Boris wrote:
Holland blinks first <cut>

Yep

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-59713503
snow conditions
JamesHJ wrote:
GreenDay wrote:
Quote:

Carryout surely?

Nope, as Glasgow Cyclops says - a takeaway is food, a cairryoot is bevvy Very Happy
snow report
Lots of vids of large crowds in London on Twitter and nothing on Beeb. Thought they were meant to report news impartiality
snow report
GreenDay wrote:
@GlasgowCyclops, Oooft - my wife has just ordered a Thai delivery (so, no controversy there)...........but its for my dinner Very Happy

Dinner???? Right that's it.... School gates at 4 Happy
ski holidays
GreenDay wrote:
JamesHJ wrote:
GreenDay wrote:
Quote:

Carryout surely?

Nope, as Glasgow Cyclops says - a takeaway is food, a cairryoot is bevvy Very Happy

Okay I'll let Yee aff. Happy
ski holidays
GreenDay wrote:

Yeh right.......... Laughing
latest report
GlasgowCyclops wrote:
GreenDay wrote:

My wife is originally from Bridge of Allan, shes on the phone to her sister and they both say they use Dinner or Tea and that these words are interchangeable.

Neither of them have ever lived in the Peoples Republic of Leith (where all magnificent people are born.......)

You are not a divorce lawyer by any chance?
snow conditions
GreenDay wrote:
Quote:

Semantics! It was a chilli burger with blue cheese and ****ing fantastic!
ski holidays
GreenDay wrote:
JamesHJ wrote:
GreenDay wrote:
Quote:

Carryout surely?

Eating is cheating!
latest report
@The Flying Snowplough, @The Flying Snowplough, I would love to debate further, but it appears the Thai has arrived.

Food then strictly - magnifico !
snow report
snowhound wrote:
Have a look at john Burns Murdoch's most recent thread. 80% or so of London's so-called Covid hospitalisations were admitted for reasons other than Covid. Given how prevalent omicron is (and will be), this distinction between 'with covid' and 'of covid' is going to become really important.

https://twitter.com/drraghibali/status/1472134530173702145

This ^
Everyone admitted to hospital is tested for COVID; with low levels of community transmission, few will test +ve so few hospitalisations will be deemed COVID-related. With high community transmission, more will test positive even though the proportion of admissions which are genuinely due toCOVID may be no higher.
snow report
abc wrote:
Boris wrote:

Because the moderators are too busy moderating over at the apres section, and nobody had alerted them to move this one over to add to their workload? Toofy Grin rolling eyes

I could move it, but what's the point, as ABC says, it's easier to control here Laughing
snow report
GreenDay wrote:
GlasgowCyclops wrote:
GreenDay wrote:

My wife is originally from Bridge of Allan, shes on the phone to her sister and they both say they use Dinner or Tea and that these words are interchangeable.

Neither of them have ever lived in the Peoples Republic of Leith (where all magnificent people are born.......)

You are not a divorce lawyer by any chance?

I’m still confused re meals in Yorkshire despite having lived here for 20+ years now.

I was brought up on breakfast, lunch and dinner, with tea being a light meal before dinner for young children.

Now dinner only seems to exist on a Sunday and then it’s at lunchtime. Dinner is now tea.

Very confusing!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The Flying Snowplough wrote:
…. our local cafe which was absolutely rammed today when I picked up a takeout. (We’re isolating as currently a “Plague House”.)

How can you be out collecting food whilst also ‘isolating’? I’m gonna tell the rozzers Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Dinner is the main meal - if it’s had at lunch time then it’s dinner, as in Sunday/Xmas dinner. The smaller meal in evening is then tea.

If it’s a small midday meal it’s lunch and you have dinner in eve

Simples
latest report
Even more hoping that they don’t lockdown- having now booked to second vaccine for my daughter on 30th for close to the area where we intend to be staying for attending funeral. Can’t get her that date or anywhere near it, anywhere local to home on that date (which is dead on 12 weeks)
snow conditions
@pam w,
Quote:

There's a lot of wishful thinking going on

That may well be the case, and as you say, the data isn't strong enough yet.

But as the NHS being overwhelmed, my wife and niece both work in our local teaching hospital and say the NHS is overwhelmed every winter! The UK normally sees circa 25-30,000 people a year die from flu and pneumonia and no-one bats an eyelid.
latest report
Red Leon wrote:
…. our local cafe which was absolutely rammed today when I picked up a takeout. (We’re isolating as currently a “Plague House”.)

How can you be out collecting food whilst also ‘isolating’? I’m gonna tell the rozzers Toofy Grin

One of us is isolating officially. The rest of us are just keeping a low profile.

But good spot!
ski holidays
KenX wrote:
abc wrote:
Boris wrote:

I could move it, but what's the point, as ABC says, it's easier to control here Laughing

I still think it's a good idea to move it to apres, for better visibility(*). There're more people "over there" (my impression, perhaps wrong) who're interested in this topic. Whilst piste are where people ask about testing pre or post holiday to other countries.

(*) I like how this thread is moving along. So wish it to attract wider attention. But perhaps the very reason it's been polite and on focus is because it's not in apres? Toofy Grin
snow conditions
@abc, I'm with @KenX . No need to cause disruption and there is plenty of chat on there already.
ski holidays
mozwold wrote:
The UK normally sees circa 25-30,000 people a year die from flu and pneumonia and no-one bats an eyelid.

The issue isn't with the numbers being admitted or dying from Omicron, it's that infection levels are high and will take a lot of front line workers/volunteers out of ICUs, the NHS and the immunisation programme over a short period of time. So there simply won't be the staff able to handle even the usual influx of patients over the winter. While at the same time staff shortages will be slowing the Booster Programme down as well.

The '25K die of flu and pneumonia anyway, so what's the fuss?' view misses the point. The fuss isn't about the numbers being admitted to hospital or dying. It's that a worrying number of Key Workers - not just in healthcare but in the supply chain, education, elderly care and the rest - will be at home with Covid over a relatively short period. It's a difficult call as to what action to take or not, thanks to lack of data, but on previous form, it seems 50:50 that we'll see more restrictions before the spring. Although it'll never be called a lockdown by anyone in the Cabinet.

There are lots of variations of this situation across the Alpine countries, so it seems to me that for this season at least, this 50:50 expectation applies - by all means make plans but engineer your holiday arrangements with a view to an even chance of them being cancelled. and however disappointing, there's no point in blaming governments or scientists if it happens. Plus, given the UK's own ongoing regulations, there is the question to ask yourself - "Can I afford to be stranded abroad due to a positive return test from just one person in my group?"
snow report
Boris wrote:
SAGE do love their gloomy predictions

I don’t believe there will be another lockdown, can’t afford it and I don’t think many people will take any notice.

If it’s doubling every day, everyone will have it come NYE

Prof Ferguson does seem to be on the gloom end of the scale. His predictions of doom over the summer post Freedom Day certainly didn’t come to pass. So whilst the current situation isn’t good, the Ferguson predictions hopefully won’t come to pass.

The guy is a gucking menace who had consistently been wrong about every modelling prediction.

Why the Be Nice please! he is held in good standing and people listen to his horseshit is beyond me.
latest report
Worth a read given it is this modelling which has put the Government in a tizz this weekend...

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/my-twitter-conversation-with-the-chairman-of-the-sage-covid-modelling-committee

The general theme is that they only get asked to do pessimistic scenarios because they are the ones which would require action. Which might be why we did far better over the summer and autumn than even the best case scenario SAGE put forward.
I see why they only do this, but without any sort of balance (this is what might happen if omicron is less virulent) seems wrong, or even without giving probabilities to how likely it is likely to be.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sat 18-12-21 22:02; edited 1 time in total
snow report
"Modals" are just that, modals! You make assumptions with the modal and get some kind of output. You know it's not real. Just a possibility of that happening.

Someone has to be the pessimist. If everyone uses the most optimistic assumptions, we'll have a biased collection of predictions, which does no good.
snow report
@abc, Yes, but ONLY pessimistic ones.....? THAT'S the bias and one that only leads to decisions going one way.
And I get models-I am a mathematical physicist....but many people still see them as predictions, not possible scenarios (and ones with no probabilities attached).
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy