Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Another UK Lockdown Imminent?

Poster: A snowHead
Boris wrote:
Well Scotland announcing their measures from Boxing Day, Wales already have, sure Boris will come out with something similar next day or two.

We have only had part of ours.
More to come tomorrow.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Some might call it a lockdown by stealth however I think this is how we are going to have to navigate the next year (or two...) with carefully considered socializing when a new strain emerges.

This thing isn't going to go away until everyone develops some form of immunity and we can't keep shutting down, we HAVE to learn to live with it.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The politicians have to err on the side of caution and without reliable data yet on the virulence of omicron they also have to prepare the public for the many possible scenarios , one of which might be a lockdown , another of which might be no further restrictions . Without the data its not possible to say one way or another . Life is full of uncertainty , just get on with life whilst acknowledging you might need to change your plans , predicting the weather is an inexact science right up the last moments , just like predicting the course of a pandemic and the need for restrictions .
Just get on with your plans until you are told otherwise .
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
No lockdown this side of Christmas says the PM

=== edit ===

From Sky news

"The prime minister has revealed that there will be no more COVID-19 restrictions this side of Christmas, citing not having enough evidence on Omicron's severity against the impact of the booster roll-out.

However, Boris Johnson added that the situation is "finely balanced" and that it remains difficult.

Mr Johnson added that the government may take steps after Christmas if needed, and that people should exercise caution in the meantime."

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Tue 21-12-21 17:05; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
albob wrote:
No lockdown this side of Christmas says the PM

27 Dec to 09 Jan
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Boris wrote:
Well Scotland announcing their measures from Boxing Day, Wales already have, sure Boris will come out with something similar next day or two.

Reviewed in 3 weeks from 26th Dec, appreciate it affects everyone differently, for me that is the day after I'm due to fly out to Geneva, not ideal in case restrictions increase rather than decrease then as I'd be abroad.

However on the upside for everyone up here today's measures don't seem to affect flying or holidaying abroad, just stopping gatherings of 500+ outdoors or 200 indoors at public events, some restrictions on table service only in pubs and 1m distancing generally (I do that anyway Confused ). 3 household limit for meeting up will hit quite hard for some larger family groups with holiday house bookings etc for Hogmanay but 3 household limit is way better than 2, works ok for me for our family get together at new year.

We never had the 'freedom day' thing you had in England so the step back doesn't seem too big to me.

Given the Dutch are in full lockdown we seem to be affected not too badly......for now. Shocked

I still think I need to postpone skiing a few weeks if I can't get cancellations/refunds, have to think by mid March the omicron peak will be well behind us, going to be sweating things too much trying to keep mid Jan trip on. Sad . At present just sitting on things, see what's going to happen, doing a few squats and lunges here and there just in case. Razz
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Austria to effectively end ski holidays for UK, Danish, Norwegian and Dutch visitors this season?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/news/covid-travel-news-test-uk-rules-restrictions-holiday-pcr/

“UK skiers could face a 10-day quarantine on arrival in Austria as soon as Friday due to fears over the spread of the omicron variant, local newspapers have reported.

The Kronen Zeitung reported the Austrian government is looking to “classify Great Britain, Norway, Denmark and the Netherlands as virus variant areas”, which would effectively ban holidays to the country this winter.

A confirmation from the Austrian Ministry of Health is said to be pending.

Fears surrounding imported cases of the omicron variant have ramped up in Austria in recent days, with Covid scientist Ulrich Elling criticising the lack of restrictions on British flights and estimating that 15 UK passengers infected with the virus are arriving in Austria each day”.

The news is yet another blow to skiers who have already been banned from travelling to France until at least January. Though Austria was under full lockdown measures until last week, most ski resorts have since reopened and hopes were high that the season could go ahead without further disruption.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Snow&skifan, this is under consideration but not confirmed. Announcement tomorrow.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Scarlet wrote:
@Snow&skifan, this is under consideration but not confirmed. Announcement tomorrow.

Hence my question mark and then quoting the Telegraph verbatim.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Mmmmm the Elephant in the Room showing signs of breaking out ?

Ok from the Torygraph, but why is Lambeth recording 2,728 cases per 100,000 ???

According to Sajid Javid, the Health Secretary, nine in 10 Covid patients needing the most care are unjabbed.

A similar point was made by Sadiq Khan, the London mayor, who said the “vast, vast majority” of seriously ill people were unjabbed, identifying “black Londoners, Muslim Londoners, Jewish Londoners and eastern European Londoners” as groups that are proving particularly resistant.

And it's most unlike Sadiq Khan to identify specific communities.

Though the Media are staying well away from this subject for fear of upsetting people.

Singapore is charging unjabbed patients for treatment because they “make up a sizeable majority of those who require intensive in-patient care and disproportionately contribute to the strain on our healthcare resources”.

Imagine trying to do that here, where we tiptoe around the subject even though it has become the key issue that needs to be addressed.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hospital admission rates in London, 7 x that of the rest of the country. Big fence around the M25?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Weathercam, Yep I read and thought the same, lockdown London and the Home Counties to create a buffer zone.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
more infectious variant spreads quicker amongst places with higher population density.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
hospital rates are pretty flat at the moment with a 7 day average hovering of around the 850 mark and about 7500 in hospital in total … and the news coming out of London seems that cases have plateaued there too …

looks like Christmas is a goer Smile
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Mr.Egg wrote:
more infectious variant spreads quicker amongst places with higher population density.
and spread quicker in areas of low vaccination rates....and London has the lowest rates.
snow conditions
There is increased hesitancy among some ethnic minorities over the jabs and it is a challenging issue which needs to be handled sensitively. There is a lot of misinformation and so education is vital, but not something which will work in the short term, which is what is needed.
What would help is if these communities had increased trust of politicians and authorities. This is another reason why the leaks and photos of our leaders not following the rules are so damaging. They hurt trust and that has real world consequences for all of us.
I detest this government but I also don't think the leaks and press coverage are helping anyone...I suppose that's just the Britain we live in.
snow conditions
@Frosty the Snowman, But why? Why has London got lower rates than, say, Birmingham or Manchester. I really can't work that one out.
ski holidays
esaw1 wrote:
@Frosty the Snowman, But why? Why has London got lower rates than, say, Birmingham or Manchester. I really can't work that one out.

Chance. It varies every time. Remember when the North was in tier 3 while Londoners were able to go out and enjoy meals and drinks?
ski holidays
@Ryunis, surely "chance" wouldn't explain a lack of vaccination uptake which is what @frosty was referring to.
snow conditions
Perhaps because the south has had low rates for a long time and is now more vulnerable ? I don’t imagine vax rates are lower in the south ? The difference across the UK in Covid rates is really stark at the moment. Over 2000 per 100k in central London compared to under 500 in large parts of the UK. Rates are still going down in some areas of the north.
ski holidays
I think its a very complex picture. London had low rates of infection through the autumn, but seemed to do little to encourage vaccination rates. Kahn was full of excuses on Marr on Sunday, diversity, global city, folks not registered with GPs, all not his fault. The recent messaging has been affected, but he should have been organising his team to get the message out when times were good, there has been lots of work done across the North, by Burnham and the Yorkshire mayors. Kahn has been caught resting on his laurels.
snow report
@Peter S, take a look at the maps in the daily summary. Vaccination one here: https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/interactive-map/vaccinations

Really clear that low second dose percentages are in London, Luton, Oxford, Birmingham, Manchester. In Scotland Glasgow, Edinburgh, Dundee, Aberdeen. So focus is larger cities with the odd outlier.

Zoom in even more on London and specific areas stand out. I think it is clear that Sadiq Khan knows the issue when you see how blunt his comments are in identifying some minorities with low take up.

I only have one anecdotal story I can offer. I asked a Jewish (non orthodox, 2 jabs plus booster) work colleague why he though Stamford Hill had such low uptake and he just rolled his eyes. Certain communities just have their own ideas and it will not be easy to change them.
ski holidays
@chocksaway, I can’t see how it is Khan’s fault (he’s not a German goalkeeper pantomime villain after all), you should look no further than the muppets who refuse to get vaccinated. Its down to them, no-one else.
latest report
Peter S wrote:
Perhaps because the south has had low rates for a long time and is now more vulnerable ? I don’t imagine vax rates are lower in the south ? The difference across the UK in Covid rates is really stark at the moment. Over 2000 per 100k in central London compared to under 500 in large parts of the UK. Rates are still going down in some areas of the north.

rolling average in Wales is 1000 cases a day for last 14 & 600 cases a day for last 7
So cases have actually dropped, yet we are going to have more restrictions imposed today. Sporting events have already been banned for spectators.
Nightclubs are to close from boxing day.
New restrictions are likely to include table service in pubs, limit on numbers who can gather, etc.

Nearly 4 weeks since 1st Omicron case in UK & positive case : test has been quite flat.
You would expect increase in cases due to people spending more time in doors anyway.
snow conditions
@Peter S, If you have a look at this map, it's a bit fiddly on a phone, you can see the Vax rates across the country. It tells a story:

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/interactive-map/vaccinations
ski holidays
ster wrote:
@chocksaway, I can’t see how it is Khan’s fault (he’s not a German goalkeeper pantomime villain after all), you should look no further than the muppets who refuse to get vaccinated. Its down to them, no-one else.

He could bring restrictions in on travel, etc. for the unvaccinated though.
latest report
@ster, I was just interpreting his comments from the Marr interview. He did not mention any measures he had taken to encourage vaccination, unusual for a politician not to mention what he has done. Up here in the frozen north there has been lots of initiatives by local public health authorities to educate the reluctant. If that has been happening in London, I apologise to those involved, he just gave the impression it was all to do with 'factors' out with his control.
snow report
ster wrote:

+1
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Mr.Egg, does he have the authority to do any of that? Arent travel restrictions a matter for central government? And how would it be policed, very badly I suggest.

Hes cancelled a few public events as have local councils.

Now I am not defending his stance as he is usually pretty weak on issue that are due to “sensitive” so called community causes but in reality what can he do.

tfl are suppose to have mask wearing on services, very simple to enforce but tfl does not enforce it unless they have a SWAT team in place.
ski holidays
esaw1 wrote:
@Ryunis, surely "chance" wouldn't explain a lack of vaccination uptake which is what @frosty was referring to.

Ah got you. Sorry, wrong end of the wrong stick
snow report
No Lockdown for Wales.

Just tighter restrictions.
ski holidays
@Mike Pow, I think many people would argue that the additional restrictions curb their activities to such an extent that it's essentially a lockdown.
snow report
ster wrote:
@Mr.Egg, does he have the authority to do any of that? Arent travel restrictions a matter for central government? And how would it be policed, very badly I suggest.

Hes cancelled a few public events as have local councils.

Now I am not defending his stance as he is usually pretty weak on issue that are due to “sensitive” so called community causes but in reality what can he do.

tfl are suppose to have mask wearing on services, very simple to enforce but tfl does not enforce it unless they have a SWAT team in place.

he is charge of the TfL - so I think he could?
ski holidays
More restrictions for Wales

Maximum of group of 6, table service, etc.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-59752752
ski holidays
Boris wrote:
@Mike Pow, I think many people would argue that the additional restrictions curb their activities to such an extent that it's essentially a lockdown.

Not for me, you have to wear a face mask and you can only meet up with 5 other people in a pub with table service - happy days in my opinion. More than 6 in a pub group is too dilute anyway!

Only real curb is no crowds at sporting events and I'd hope clubs get compensated for that.
ski holidays
Boris wrote:

Not for me either.

Family Christmas and Boxing Day is a go.

And if it snows up the Brecon Beacons they won't be 'closed'
ski holidays
Mr.Egg wrote:
Maximum of group of 6, table service, etc.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-59752752

I wonder how much difference that will make. Surely if you have families of 10 for example all you will end up doing is going round someones house instead so you will get the same mixing just the food industry will be loosing out again.
latest report
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
Hospital admission rates in London, 7 x that of the rest of the country. Big fence around the M25?

Or remove the Thames barrier & let sea level rise do it's worst. Laughing
snow report
I do not see why fully vaccinated careful sensible people should be Locked Down due to stupidity & ignorance of the unvaccinated. Lock Them alone Down. That will get a lot of folk over the line who 'just have not got around to it'.

I work in general practice and can honestly say that I am the only professional who discusses the issue with the unjabbed when I speak to them about other matters. I have managed to book quite a few into getting vaccinated. A lot of people in my area are plain thick and not got around to it as live such disordered lives, particularly young men. I work in a very working class area. Young white working class mother are another recalcitrant bunch.

Add the chinese to you list of cultures not getting vaccinated.
snow report
@hawkesbaynz, Maybe you need to get another job.................
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy