Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Anglais limités aux frontières : Une catastrophe pour les stations

Poster: A snowHead
@Rob Mackley, Yep, gave Macron all the ammunition he needed to look strong and close the borders to the UK. It will make little difference in the end, but with an election coming up, at least he can point and say 'look at what I tried'.
And yes, I am cynical enough to admit our politicians would have (or indeed, already have) done the same.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Scarletgirl, looks like our guests that week have cancelled
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Nickski wrote:
'Monumental cold shower' don't you love the differences between languages Very Happy

Yes..They say cold shower. We say 5h1t show Sad
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Unfortunately I can see Austria now becoming more attractive for the French loving Brit’s with Macron’s anti brexit stance
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I’ve just read that France have confirmed that they will relax restrictions on Uk visitors in the event of an invasion from Germany.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Topperski
Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Many families are frantically trying to switch their festive trips to Austria, Italy and Switzerland. Let’s assume these amended holidays go relatively smoothly, these people won’t go back to France in a rush.

This. We’ve gone to France for last 20 years, now looking for Jan alternative and if we like it I’m not rushing back.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Rob Mackley, Johnson's 2 million cases by Sunday wasn't likely to calm any minds now, was it?

@rdsweb, what's he done to me? where do I start?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ribblevalleyblue wrote:
Unfortunately I can see Austria now becoming more attractive for the French loving Brit’s with Macron’s anti brexit stance
It's voted, Brexit won. Why come back to this discussion?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@patrick!, very true...... and I think we can all say so far it’s being an absolute clusterfuck Laughing
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@ajc2260626, +1
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@ribblevalleyblue, TBH I have never seen the attraction of skiing in France, other than a marginally shorter drive from Calais if that's the mode of travel deployed. I say this as a former resident and have spent many happy times since in France, love the people, food, sunshine, countryside etc etc. Just the skiing, meh!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Snowsartre, curious as to exactly why you say that?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Project fear starting to unravel , earlier than I thought

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/12/17/sajid-javids-200000-daily-omicron-cases-claim-no-longer-valid/
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Rob Mackley, what has that to do with brexshit?
snow report
@under a new name, Er nothing ,
I was talking about the Omnicom project fear not the Brexit one .
I’m in no doubt if We hadn’t have had all the quotes of , Tidal Wave/ Tsunami of cases and the claims of 200K infections daily the French borders would still be open with restrictions. I also fully believe it’s been overhyped to scare the public to get boosters ( I’m not against and have had the full set ) restrict their activities and still cynically deflect from current adverse partygate publicity. I might be wrong and I’m sure I will be correct by many first but in a few weeks time this current crisis in this country will be seen to have been nowhere near as some had feared or predicted.
snow report
Those are some big numbers, I can only imagine the effect this is having on the tourism industry in France at the moment.

To me, this thing about not allowing UK travellers is a blip and won’t spoil my love for France. However, after doing some frantic searching yesterday while we contemplated an alternative Christmas trip to our cancelled Andorra holiday, it’s opened my eyes to the wealth of resorts in Austria and Italy, and the cost difference….. we’re now looking at going half term and France is down the pecking list of destinations because of the VFM aspect; I wonder how many other UK travellers have had their heads turned by other alpine destinations as a result of the France debacle?

The damage to French tourism cannot be underestimated in that respect
snow report
Specialman wrote:
Those are some big numbers, I can only imagine the effect this is having on the tourism industry in France at the moment.

To me, this thing about not allowing UK travellers is a blip and won’t spoil my love for France. However, after doing some frantic searching yesterday while we contemplated an alternative Christmas trip to our cancelled Andorra holiday, it’s opened my eyes to the wealth of resorts in Austria and Italy, and the cost difference….. we’re now looking at going half term and France is down the pecking list of destinations because of the VFM aspect; I wonder how many other UK travellers have had their heads turned by other alpine destinations as a result of the France debacle?

The damage to French tourism cannot be underestimated in that respect

We've always considered Austria to be far better value for money than France, with very reasonably priced (ie cheaper) accommodation, cheaper mountain restaurants (eg main courses for €10 versus €18 minimum in France, large beers for €5 versus a minimum €7) and a much better ambiance and atmosphere. However
we chose to buy a (very small) apartment in Val Thorens a few years ago as we love the skiing in the 3 Valleys and think it's hard to beat.

If we didn't own a place I think this debacle would certainly make us think twice about skiing in France rolling eyes .
snow report
Boris wrote:
Quote:

Many families are frantically trying to switch their festive trips to Austria, Italy and Switzerland. Let’s assume these amended holidays go relatively smoothly, these people won’t go back to France in a rush.

This. We’ve gone to France for last 20 years, now looking for Jan alternative and if we like it I’m not rushing back.

That's understandable.
snow report
under a new name wrote:
@Snowsartre, curious as to exactly why you say that?

Assume you mean my “skiing in France, meh!” comment?

There are sure to be exceptions but my experience and opinion is that a lot of places I have skied in France lack the alpine charm and authenticity of much of Austria and Switzerland. Added to which there is an awful lot of ugly, purpose built resort accommodation, many ‘motorway style’ pistes, far too expensive beer and on-mountain restaurant prices (also true of CH), a general lack of tree skiing, an often poor snow record compared to elsewhere in Europe, elderly lift systems, a proliferation of ‘rabbit hutch’ style shabby apartments, crowds of British etc etc…I could go on.

I do not expect people to agree with me- just as others’ views will most likely not change my opinion and experience. Horses for courses. I would not choose to ski in France as there are, for me, better resorts elsewhere. I am very happy for those that love skiing in France to continue to do so and, better still, please encourage all your friends to do the same Toofy Grin
latest report
@Rob Mackley, With all the sh*t that was thrown up about the lack of/too late response to the Delta, why are you surprised about their response to this variant?

Dammed if they do, dammed if they don't. The fact that it's Boris' decision rather than Starmer's ( who would have done exactly the same) is, frankly irrelevant.

I just wish they'd bring in a Covid Passport now. Make all the others pay for a test every 2-3 days. Exemptions only for clinical cases, confirmed by a consultant, not a GP (can't be pressurised)

I'd love to know what % of these Omnicom cases are unvaxxed.
I'd bet there are tens of thousands of anti vaxers never even been tested.
snow report
@brianatab, don’t disagree just well and truly F##d off , can’t nip off early to my place as my business supply dried goods to restaurants and pubs and it’s our busiest time of the year or was ! I’m experiencing a double hit Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions
ajc2260626 wrote:
@alasdair.graham, “some politics”?!?!

It’s all politics, France has got v similar official numbers to uk and that’s not even taking into acct the fact that they do a fraction of the testing the uk do, it’s complete cobblers, I’m afraid bojo and the dwaff are as bad as each other....... Laughing

The figures somebody on another forum showed the French have a higher percentage of omicron than we do, also the EU health agency said closing borders after a certain level of infections was pointless, with the ski resorts and Paris hotels, cafes etc up in arms anyone with any sense would back down, Macron like lots of politicians has tried to look big and act tough but made himself look like a dick . Hopefully just a matter of time before he comes to his sense and stops this nonsense
snow conditions
@robs1, if they could come to their senses before 1st Jan that would be good! Not cancelled just yet!
snow report
I'm quite optimistic actually that these restrictions will be lifted in Jan. The UK half term is huge business for the French resorts. More so than Xmas/New year.

By mid Jan, France would have had it's surge of omicron (officially) and the pressure from the industry I think will force him to revert back to the previous restrictions.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Sat 18-12-21 16:17; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@Fridge03, I hope they are, but it won't mean I can change my plans and go in January unfortunately.
latest report
Boris wrote:
@robs1, if they could come to their senses before 1st Jan that would be good! Not cancelled just yet!

We are going around the 11th for a few weeks so anytime then would be good snowHead
snow conditions
hamilton wrote:
@On the rocks, enjoy Flaine - are you with Yan/Dianne? the whole SCGB Flaine offering is good fun - esp the chalet hosts...

Yann and Diane are fab.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Fridge03 wrote:
I'm quite optimistic actually that these restrictions will be lifted in Jan...

I am hoping that will be the case too. We haven't yet done anything about our Eurotunnel bookings next week, the question is what dates to choose to move them to. Our inclination is for something second half of January, so we can have a good long holiday after missing so much in 2020 and 21. (In fact we already have some EasyJet tickets for then, but they were so cheap we will probably let them go in favour of the flexibility provided by driving).
snow report
We have tunnel booked for 28th Jan for a drive down to 3V for a week. Can get full refunds on everything almost up to a couple of days before so leaving it last minute. If we can’t go, we will look to do a last minute job elsewhere/anywhere that is accepting.

We have a fallback of a week away in March already booked as well on Andorra.

Determined to get some skiing done this year. It’s been a hell of a time across the services (I’m a firefighter who has also been driving for the NHS) and not having had a holiday or break for 2 years….I need some time away.

j b wrote:
Fridge03 wrote:
I'm quite optimistic actually that these restrictions will be lifted in Jan...

I am hoping that will be the case too. We haven't yet done anything about our Eurotunnel bookings next week, the question is what dates to choose to move them to. Our inclination is for something second half of January, so we can have a good long holiday after missing so much in 2020 and 21. (In fact we already have some EasyJet tickets for then, but they were so cheap we will probably let them go in favour of the flexibility provided by driving).
ski holidays
@alasdair.graham,
Quote:

How much more will it take for many British owners to consider selling up? I can't help but think there are some politics at play here.

Do you mean sell up in the UK and move permanently to France?
snow conditions
@johnE, I think its pretty clear he means sell up in France
snow report
I cannot think why I would want to do that. The people are still very kind and helpful.
ski holidays
@johnE, I really can't think why I would either, I have never felt unwelcome in France, and I expect to be welcomed back again when we can travel. I'm pretty gutted at not being able to travel on Wednesday, but there was always a risk.
latest report
@johnE, same here for Austria
snow conditions
Hells Bells wrote:
@johnE, I really can't think why I would either, I have never felt unwelcome in France, and I expect to be welcomed back again when we can travel. I'm pretty gutted at not being able to travel on Wednesday, but there was always a risk.

Same.

My father has lived in France for the best part of 10 years and is a resident there (not quite yet a citizen). Certainly outside of Paris (and the major "typical tourist areas"), the French are very welcoming on the whole (much more so than us). Countless times on my travels there I have been assisted by a local going out of their way to help, often without me having to ask. The majority don't really care about our political beliefs, what we did or didn't vote for etc....they value just a bit of decency and small gestures like at least attempting the lingo rather than just pointing and shouting slowly in English.

Us Brits seem to have it in our heads that they talk about us and our little island almost as much as we do about them and Europe. Really not the case. They barely bat an eye at our day to day lives on our damp little rock.
snow conditions
There's been far too much French-bashing on the last couple of pages of this thread. To me, a lot of it comes across as "I'm annoyed that my French holiday plans have been affected" and am therefore going to blame it on the French general public for no good reason". I have sympathy for those affected (I am potentially in the same boat), but I'm not going to blame the French for it.

I also don't agree with the generalisations about France being unfriendly or expensive, lacking trees or having boring skiing. To make a generalisation of my own - a lot of Brits need to realise that there's a lot more to French skiing than the Tarentaise. (And I love the Tarentaise too!)

Attack the policy, not people.
ski holidays
@denfinella, well said.
snow report
@denfinella, I really feel for the French ski & tourism industry here, they’ve been shafted but it will undoubtedly turn a few people away, people are weird that way.

Myself; what has been in offer France for my recent search at Christmas left me wanting so I started looking elsewhere and I like what I see… but if I get a good deal on France, I’ll go. I get one trip per year so can’t be picky like some people, so I’ll vote with my wallet first and foremost an and if that’s France then so be it
snow report
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
@denfinella, well said.

+1
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy